Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Ride
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2010 :  22:30:25  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well, I was planning on doing a write-up on The Ride like I did for Ixinos; but I realized I am not actually up to the task...as far as time goes.

Just some initial research is turning up TONS of already published canon information about The Ride, and I don't honestly have time to filter through it all, put it together, put my personal touches on it, and then hope it all turns out right.

Has anyone else thought of doing a project/write-up for the area of The Ride?

EDIT: (8 August 2010)- Well, looks like I'm writing this monster after all...and I do mean a monster! It will make Ixinos look like a tiny kitten next to a hunting tiger!

EDIT: (11 August 2010) - I thought it would be a good idea to list all the tangent threads having to do with all the things that sort of tie into The Ride, so here we go!

The Ride and the Tortured Lands, Ever Covered? http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7761

Sarphil: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7763

Tyranthraxus and the Twisted Ones: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13072

Barbarians of the Ride: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9863

The Fallen Kingdom of Barze: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14015

The Frozen Flindyke: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14016

The Horreb: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14022

Way of the Powrie: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14040

Sorcerer's Isle: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14044

Monument of the Ancients Adventure: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12924

Questions for Brian R. James: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9981

MORE TO COME

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 12 Aug 2010 20:31:48

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2010 :  00:58:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would it surprise you to learn that I had initially planned to elaborate on the Black Network's operations in the Ride? This necessitated the need for me to compile most of the more relevant references for the Ride that also featured mentions of the Zhentarim.

Alas, the concept is now deeply buried amongst other "lost projects" on my "To-Do" list.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2010 :  04:07:49  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Would it surprise you to learn that I had initially planned to elaborate on the Black Network's operations in the Ride? This necessitated the need for me to compile most of the more relevant references for the Ride that also featured mentions of the Zhentarim.

Alas, the concept is now deeply buried amongst other "lost projects" on my "To-Do" list.

Can your "to do list" references be sent my way?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2010 :  05:09:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

quote:

Make sure it's the references and not the list itself. The list itself is nearly a full petabyte!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2010 :  07:21:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

Make sure it's the references and not the list itself. The list itself is nearly a full petabyte!

Don't you know, I'm pushing for several yottabytes.

And Dalor, I'll take a look through my reference notebooks this evening to see whether I can find anything worth sending your way.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2010 :  11:19:19  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The nearest thing I can think of is what Halidan did with the Tortured Lands some years ago.

I do have some ideas about the people of the Ride that I at one time thought about filling out for Candlekeep, but unfortunately these would be of little use for this project and I would be the wrong person to attempt it.

But I am curious, I always thought there was little official canon on the area, which books did you find that contained lore about the region? Outside of the Moonsea box of course.
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2010 :  14:32:30  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

The nearest thing I can think of is what Halidan did with the Tortured Lands some years ago.

Wow, someone remembers that old post that got turned into an article in the Scrolls area. My head is spinning. For those who are interested, it can be found Travelers Notebook section of Alaundo's Library here on this site.

I do have some material written up on the People of the Ride, who in their own tongue, call themselves the “Eraka.” That scroll is also in the Traveler's Notebook of the library here at Candlekeep.

The rest of my Ride notes (weather, flora, fauna, and interesting sites) is scattered throughout a number of files on my two computers. Take a loook at my two scrolls and if you need more specific information, let me know and I'll see what I can find. It's been years since I ran my Moonsea North campaign and I'm not even sure what I wrote up for myself and my players.

I hope this helps.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849

Edited by - Halidan on 22 Jul 2010 14:33:24
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2010 :  16:17:07  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Halidan

quote:

Wow, someone remembers that old post that got turned into an article in the Scrolls area. My head is spinning. For those who are interested, it can be found Travelers Notebook section of Alaundo's Library here on this site.

Good lore is always worth remembering. Canon or no canon.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2010 :  21:27:33  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I should probably clarify what I mean by "tons"...it is more a vague reference here or there that then brings me into feeling I need to research more fully things such as the Barbarians of the Netherese era, the lands of Vaasa, Damara, the Great Glacier and so on...

There always seems to be a hint of something in one place or another that gets me plugged into a whole slew of other topics that I feel I have to slough off before I can move on...like I have to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2010 :  08:04:19  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Good lore is always worth remembering. Canon or no canon.

Thanks Jorkin. I appreciate the compliment, especially comming from an active and creative sage like yourself.

quote:

I should probably clarify what I mean by "tons"...it is more a vague reference here or there that then brings me into feeling I need to research more fully things such as the Barbarians of the Netherese era, the lands of Vaasa, Damara, the Great Glacier and so on...

I understand your frustration Dalor. The Ride have never gotten a proper write up, and according to an article that Ed Greenwood wrote on the WOTC site prior to the introduction of 3rd edition, probably never will.

However, there are plenty of hints to the culture of the Eraka (the barbarians of the Ride) that we can make some asumptions about them and not be too far from the mark. That's what I did in my two scrolls here at Candlekeep. I think that there is a point where we have to say that we (as DM's, sages or adventure writes) have enough infromation to move ahead with our plans and not try and track down every last reference to a people or a place.

quote:

There always seems to be a hint of something in one place or another that gets me plugged into a whole slew of other topics that I feel I have to slough off before I can move on...like I have to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Everybody has their own ways and I'm not say that mine is any better than anyone elses, but I simply don't worry about tracking down every Realms reference before I write my material. For me, that would be too frustrating and I'd never get anything done.

Personally, I loved your write up on Ixinos. Amazons are a particulur favoite of mine. however, Ixinos has a lot fewer canon mentions than the Ride, which has been on the northern edge of one of the main realms campaign areas (the Moonsea) since the old grey box era.

Too many book authors, sourcebook writers, and module editors have slipped in a mention or two of the Ride in their work. I found as many as I needed and then just put them together from there.

As an example, in the Netherial box set, there are two mentions that the pre-Eraka barbarians of Netheral felt that their gods dwelt in specific mountain ranges. Once the barbarians migrated away from the encroching ice, they once again settled on a plains overlooked by another set of high mountains - the Dragonspines. Did their gods migrate as well? We can't tell for sure as it's never been explicitly stated. However, in my Realms the gods did just that. They moved.

So, when my players needed an alliance with the Ride Barbarians to free Daggerdale, they hand to climb up the Dragonspines, offer gifts to the spirits who guarded the path of the Gods, and then finally bring back a token from the Cave of the Gods as a sign that the alliance was approved. Very heavy mythic sort of spirit-quest with a lot of First Nation flavor, but my players ate it up.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849

Edited by - Halidan on 23 Jul 2010 08:09:17
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2010 :  18:25:32  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Halidan, if you and others are interested, perhaps we can all work together to put a "Ride" netbook together?

There are good things that can be done!

Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2010 :  05:33:20  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dalor, You're welcome to use my material that's already posted here at Candlekeep. As for working on new material, I'll have to take a pass for the present. I have two surgeries comming up over the next two weeks that will have me out of commission for at least a month, maybe more. After I'm back on my feet, I'd love to help.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2010 :  02:08:16  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found one of the pieces I wrote for my Ride camapign. It's a historical summary of the town of New Verdigris, from the old SSI Gold Box Game Secret of the Silver Blade. It doesn't list the shops of the town or the people who live there, (that's a different file that I can't seem to find). It simply gives both a players and a DM's summary of the history of the place and parts of the plot from the computer game.

I don't know if it will be of use to anyone, but I figured since I found it, I should post it anyway. As always, comments, critisisms, and addirtions are always welcome.

The History of New Verdigris

Common Knowledge:

Located in the Dragonspine Mountains, near the largest glacier found in that range, New Verdigris is a small mining community. The community is a very small town, with an economy centered around a small number of mine shafts that bring out iron ore and gems from the depths of the Dragonspine Mountains.

As you might suspect from its name, New Verdigris is not the first mining town to be located in this region Nearly 400 years ago, the original town of Verdigris thrived several miles to the east of the current town. Legend has it that the mines shafts of the original settlement were much richer than those current worked by the miners. Unfortunately, those mine shafts are now covered under hundreds of tons of ice – the Verdigris Glacier.

The Verdigris Glacier is home to a clan of Frost Giants and their servants. They have lived in relative peace with the town, and according to the ancient tales, even traded with representatives of Old Verdigris. Unfortunately, over the last several months, they have begun to raid the New Verdigris area from their castle atop the heart of the glacier.

New Verdigris is also famous because it is the site of the "Great Well of Knowledge", a mysterious and magical font that sometimes will provide information – but only in exchange for sacrifices of precious stones and gems. The Well is supposedly located near or in the ruins of Old Verdigris. Those who have ventured there say that the well is a courtyard that is surrounded by 12 low brick buildings. Despite the age of the buildings, they show no signs of wear or decay.

It is rumored that at one time, these buildings contain magical gates that allow instant transportation between the Well of Knowledge and other locations in and around the original town of Verdigris as well as other spots in the surrounding valley. Unfortunately, the gates have shut down over the years and the spell or ritual to reactivate them is lost to time. It is nsaid that the gates were created by the mage Eldamar, who along with his brother Oswulf, once ruled Verdigris.

Several decades ago, the glacier began to slowly retreat back up the valley. Fifteen years ago, an entrance to one of the old mineshafts was revealed. Miners from all over the Moonsea came to work the re-opened these fabled digs.

The gems and ore that came from the ancient shafts were both purer and larger than anything that the town had been able to mine before. These riches attracted not only miners but also a large number of mages who wanted to use these gems in their enchantments. These mages called themselves the Black Circle. They were a magical brotherhood.

The Circle has aided the town of New Verdigris in return for gems from the ancient mines. In addition to selling common magic items and casting spells for hire, the Circle also advises the leaders of New Verdigris, based on divinations that they perform. Unfortunately, some of these divinations have led to the discovery of powerful monsters that have attacked the town. Rumor has it that the Black Circle models itself after a college of mages who were in the service of the brothers Eldamar and Oswulf.

With the help of the Black Circle Mages, the miners have prospered. The glacier has continued its retreat, and gems are now once again being exported out of New Verdigris.

(DM Only)

The Black Circle is actually seeking to re-awaken the Dreadlord (see below). Originally, the Circle was known as the Dread Legion of Magic, and were the servants of the Lich Eldamar. The current members of the Black Circle are the descendents of those members of the Dread Legion who survived the battles in Old Verdigris. They have been waiting in exile across the Realms for the chance to re-forge the might of their order.

The Black Circle is responsible for the melting of the glacier. Using recently rediscovered ancient rituals, they have started to melt the ice in the mines and release the monsters and members of their order who were trapped by the glacier. Their ancient records indicate that the bottom most level of the mine connects with the dungeons of the Castle of the Twins. They hope that by melting ice and clearing more of the ancient mines, they will find a way into the castle and be able to contact or even revive their dread master.

Historical Knowledge:

Oswulf and Eldamar were twin brothers who founded and ruled the original town of Verdigris 375+ years ago (circa 995DR). Oswulf was a paladin of Tyr, and Eldamar was a mage. At that time, there was no glacier in the area.

The brothers used their wealth to build a large fortification – The Castle of the Twins. It was located at the head (upper end) of the valley. Not only was the castle home to the brothers and their guards and followers, but it served as the center of Old Verdigris society. The great hall of the castle was huge - large enough to hold the entire population of Verdigris for town meetings and festivals. Furnishings at the castle were very simple, reflecting the personalities of the brothers. It is rumored that when Oswulf left in search of the Silver Blades, his brother remodeled much of the castle and installed many traps.

Old Verdigris was also known for its Government House. The building was located south of the mines. The old Government House was a large, well built, and richly decorated. Affairs of state were conducted here. Many clerks and bureaucrats worked here in the original days of Verdigris.

While Old Verdigris must have seemed like a paradise in the rough and harsh environment of the Dragonspines, nothing that good can last forever. As he grew older, Eldamar was driven by a desire for immortality. Fearing the enfeeblement of old age, he took steps to become a lich. These steps had a serious effect on his sanity, and eventually, Eldamar isolated himself in upper levels of their castle.

As soon as Oswulf found out about his brothers plans for lichdom, he felt that he had to stop his brother. He first tried persuasion and reason, but soon it became apparent that he could not talk his brother out of this folly and so, conflict broke out between them.

Oswulf left the Castle of the Twins and went in search of 12 great heroes. He forged these heroes into a band that was known as "The Silver Blades." By the time Oswulf and the Blades returned to Verdigris, Eldamar had completed the transformation into a Lich. Now calling himself the "Dreadlord," he summoned evil forces to serve as his army. The Dreadlord began gathering armies of evil creatures to aid him. The town was overrun by monsters and its inhabitants abandoned it.

In addition to many different sorts on monsters, the Dreadlord’s army was composed of two human forces - The Dread Legion of Magic and the Bodyguard of Eldamar: These were the human mages and fighters who willingly served the Dreadlord. The Silver Blades fought a series of pitched battles in the streets of Verdigris with both forces, and as a result, much of the town was laid to waste. However, the might of the heroes was too much for the craven mages and fighters of Eldamar and the armies of the Dreadlord were pushed back to the Castle of the Twins.

Oswulf could not bring himself to slay his brother, or to have the Silver Blades do it for him. He instead came up with a plan to trap his brother forever in a huge glacier of ice. He asked the mages and cleric loyal to him begin a ritual (legend says that this ritual was revealed to Oswulf by Tyr himself). The spell caused much of the valley, including the old town, mines and castle to be encased inside a newly formed glacier. The spell was cast, and the valley filled with ice. Many of the Dread Legion and the Bodyguard of Eldamar were frozen alive when the glacier covered the valley and the castle.

Just prior to the forming of the glacier, Oswulf gave his final confession to a cleric of Tyr. That cleric was later captured by the forces of the Dread Legion of Magic, and the confession was revealed. The mages wrote extensive notes about the spell and Oswulf plan, but these notes were lost shortly after the glacier was formed.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2010 :  03:55:39  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NEW VERDIGRIS!!!!!!!

GEEZ Halidan I have not read that name since I played ...Secret of teh Silver blades? WHen I was 16. That was 22 years ago! UGGGGGGGGHHHH!

awesome stuff though.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2010 :  04:39:22  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're not really that old Mournblade. Age is just a state of mind.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2010 :  05:21:43  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

Don't you know, I'm pushing for several yottabytes.

And Dalor, I'll take a look through my reference notebooks this evening to see whether I can find anything worth sending your way.

I'll take anything you can offer!

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2010 :  05:41:19  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm starting to lean almost entirely on the idea of simply writing something for The Ride based ONLY on 1st Edition Materials.

My reason is that I want to create something about the area for a game I'm planning; but I'm planning to run that game in 1st Edition rules only.

Still thinking on it...what do you guys think?

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2010 :  05:43:27  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Halidan, can you link both of the scrolls that you did...I've only been able to find one...

I have mentioned before I suck at computers and patience both right?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2010 :  07:38:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Even if some of it is lore from my own personal interpretation of the Realms?

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2010 :  08:16:31  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, I'm starting to lean almost entirely on the idea of simply writing something for The Ride based ONLY on 1st Edition Materials.

My reason is that I want to create something about the area for a game I'm planning; but I'm planning to run that game in 1st Edition rules only.

Still thinking on it...what do you guys think?

Are you surprised if I say I like that idea. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2010 :  10:03:25  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Even if some of it is lore from my own personal interpretation of the Realms?

Aye Sage,

So long as it is based on 1st Ed Material...I'm open to your thoughts completely!

Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2010 :  10:34:07  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As the Ride was always one of the undeveloped areas of the Realms, I once started a bit of work on tailoring the Ride and the Tortured Lands to a particular campaign I had in mind, and I tried to incorporate a lot of generic material. It's hardly canon, and very much tied to a personal vision of a particular campaign, but if you're interested, I can probably dig up the Word-file and send it to you. Just send me a PM with your E-mail address.
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  14:52:19  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey Halidan, can you link both of the scrolls that you did...I've only been able to find one...

I have mentioned before I suck at computers and patience both right?

No problem. The scrolls are as follows:

The Ride

The Tortured Lands

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  14:55:19  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So long as it is based on 1st Ed Material...I'm open to your thoughts completely!

Dalor,

My description of the town of New Verdigris isn't in 1E. It's stat-lite, but the stats that it does have are in 3E. Does that mean you don't want it?

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  16:13:35  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not specifically...

I guess I should have said that material that is set in a certain year beyond say 1357 would be information I couldn't use; because I won't be going past that year in my write-up.

I'm not worried about crunch so much as timeline.

Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  21:54:50  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK - that shouldn't be a problem. The campaign that I wrote up all the Ride/Tortured lands material was set in 1350DR or so. I wanted the material to pre-date the computer game. That way, the glaciers around New Verdigris were just starting to melt. I'll try and find the rest of the material - it's scattered across 75+ floppy discs (someday, I'll get a better filing system - maybe).

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  01:41:37  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Floppy Disks?

Are you my twin or something????

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  02:25:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Floppy discs? I've heard of those...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  02:29:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've still got thousands of them sitting in stacks around here. Even some of the older 5-and-a-quarter-inch disks [and a few cassette tapes as well, for an archaic Commodore 64 tape drive].

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  03:23:04  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember having a cassette tape computer when I was younger...I thought it was the most amazing thing in the universe!

Then I saw the game Asteroids shortly after that...

Back onto topic here...does anyone have any idea what the official name of the mountains north of the Dragonspine Mountain Range is?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  09:22:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by capnvan

quote:

I've still got thousands of them sitting in stacks around here. Even some of the older 5-and-a-quarter-inch disks [and a few cassette tapes as well, for an archaic Commodore 64 tape drive].

I trust that the SageChive has backed all those up. Cos they really don't last forever.

SageChive? I like it.

And yes, the majority have been converted to SageOS-applicable format. Though I've got some old G. I. Joe dossiers [you know the ones that came with the action figures in the 80's and early 90's] in Microsoft Works ver 1.1 that are resistant to all the current conversion methods I've employed so far.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000