Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Sorcerer's Isle
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  20:26:28  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Up the river from Phlan is a rather mysterious silver pyramid.

After all my reading, I truly believe that it could have a great deal to do with the Spellweavers!

Now, I didn't stumble alone onto that idea...Bakra thought that it might be many levels deeper than what is shown in the module "Ruins of Adventure" and that Yarash may have only been using part of it.

Well, while I'm sure this wasn't a conspiracy from YEARS ago when the Pools of Radiance came out, it is a very wonderful coincidence that I will be able to use now!

The Pyramid would greatly explain the existence of the Thri-Kreen in the area...especially if once upon a time the Thri-Kreen were either vassals of the Spellweavers, or even a contemporary culture existing upon Faerun that the Spellweavers traded with.

Brian R. James has suggested that the Pyramid was an embassy of sorts to the Horreb (Thri-Kreen) from far to the south...and I like that idea; but like more that it was once used by the Spellweavers and later used by Southerners who found it...perhaps behind a certain Prince of Murghom named Myrkul...

What does everyone think?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  23:13:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my Kara-Tur material, I had some history for the elusive Maraloi. They were a remnant (creation?) of the Fey creator race which fled Toril for whatever reason for the Feywild (which they either created or discovered - I prefer to think of it as another transitive demiplane, able to reach 'tendrils' into any other plane, much like Ravenloft).

Anyhow, the Maraloi - basically very slender, short, Elven-type people (with tails!) - lived in Kara-Tur. The Fey were a race who needed connections to places for their natural abilities to work (like Glamour and shape-shifting), and after they left their descendants/creations needed to establish similar connections to places (since the original homeland of the Fey/LeShay/Kami was destroyed, where they had 'anchored' themselves previously). So after the fall of the LeShay homeland and retreat of the Fey, the remaining fey races established connections to other places and things (like Dryads and their trees, or pixies and their meadows). The Maraloi (literally, "the people of Mara") lived in A'mara (meaning "place of Mara"), which later became known as the Amara Wetlands and then eventually just the Ama Basin.

When the world was Sundered (take your pick which one) the climate dramatically shifted, and the northern reaches became intolerably cold. The Maraloi used their ancient wisdom and connections to nature to build a vast magical array of pyramids around the northernmost perimeter of Toril which could be used to focus the weave's energies and heat the atmosphere for hundreds of miles around. They were able to save both their homeland and other parts of Toril from Freezing-over, at least for a time, until something else interfered with the magic and shut-down the network of energy-collectors. Some say it was the gods, while others blame foul human or even Elven magics, while yet-others say it was the accursed Mountain of Iron that the fey-magic ran afoul of.

What of Ulutiu? Perhaps he was a Maraloi, or maybe even one of the powerful nature spirits (Archfey) they venerated. Perhaps his necklace was not a cold-inducing artifact at all, but rather the control-key for the pyramid-array which shut-down when he sank beneath the waves....

Either way, when the magic was gone, the ice came back with renewed fervor (Auril does not like to be denied!), and many places became desolate frozen wastelands, while others were destroyed by the lack of run-off from the now glacier-crowned mountains; such was the fate of Tsharoon, which sparkled like a jewel in the then-fertile Quoya river valley (now the Quoya desert).

As for the Maraloi, some say they have left, following their ancient kin, while others say they dwell in the realms still, in the far north, and have adapted themselves to their icy fate. Nought remains of their civilization in the Ama basin but trapped and monster-infested ruins, of bizarre and puzzling nature. If the Eladrin have any answers, they are not telling.

Anyhow, that's my take on all those far-northern pyramids - take it or leave it or do whatever you want - its YOUR Realms.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Aug 2010 00:33:08
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2010 :  01:19:37  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been playing around with this idea myself, Dalor, ever since the thread on the Spellweavers began. I especially like the idea that Yulash's pyramid is the upper part of a former Spellweaver pyramid, because of the reliance on portals in the Pool of Radiance computer game.

Not only did you have to use portals to enter the pyramid from the oputside, but you also couldn't move off of the bottom level without using a teleport pad. IIRC, there were also sections of the upper levels that were cut off and only entered by portals. Given that the pyarmid was in the center of a lake, it easily could have more levels beneath the surface.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Brix
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2010 :  08:18:38  Show Profile Send Brix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A Realms author, i can't remember who it was (for the unreleased Phlan web enhancement, had the idea that the Yarash is
*SPOILER*
an awakened creator race guy
I love the idea.
I had to do a little research to find this bit of information, and can't remember the source or provide a link.

Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2010 :  14:26:11  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brix

A Realms author, i can't remember who it was (for the unreleased Phlan web enhancement, had the idea that the Yarash is
*SPOILER*
an awakened creator race guy
I love the idea.
I had to do a little research to find this bit of information, and can't remember the source or provide a link.

Darrin Drader. I'm not sure if the web enhancement was ever made or if just got buried.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2010 :  14:31:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always assumed that the web enhancement occupies a kind of "publishing limbo" -- in that it was probably completed but, for whatever reason, never made it to the "publish on the website" stage.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2010 :  14:37:34  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I've always assumed that the web enhancement occupies a kind of "publishing limbo" -- in that it was probably completed but, for whatever reason, never made it to the "publish on the website" stage.

You sir are correct.

I did find this post dating from '06 and I didn't quote it entirely:

"...That said, Phlan will make an appearance in the web enhancement, and I'm the one writing it. That's the good news. The bad news is that I've ran afoul of some difficult times lately due to a rough pregnancy my wife is going through, and I'm behind on this project. That said, I'm prepared to offer a tiny glimpse into what you can expect from it when it is released.

Among other things, the web enhancement will include the following items:

* A writeup on the city of Phlan
* The sorcerer's island
* A sarrukh (and hopefully an official correction on their CR).
* A plot hook that extends beyond the adventure in which this will all be framed, which could be the basis for an entire campaign.

I hope that this teaser has built up a measure of anticipation, because I intend for this to be one of the truly worthwhile web enhancements.

So Phlan will get some updating after all!!!!! :D"

I wonder if he linked the Sarrukh with Sorcerer's isle.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2010 :  17:22:12  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If he didn't link the Sarrukh...I'm going to...in a round-about way.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2010 :  02:14:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And knowing WotC, it'd not surprise me to find out the web enhancement was published -- and they just never put a link to it anywhere.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2010 :  13:27:07  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

And knowing WotC, it'd not surprise me to find out the web enhancement was published -- and they just never put a link to it anywhere.

I have a feeling, years from now, this document is going to become the 'Holy Grail' for those who loved the old gold box game.

So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Brix
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2010 :  20:05:48  Show Profile Send Brix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have a feeling, years from now, this document is going to become the 'Holy Grail' for those who loved the old gold box game.

I have asked WotC stuff several times to release it (as well as other unused stuff). I really can't understand what the problem is. Isn't there anyone here with a red phone connection to Wizards HQ?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2010 :  21:40:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the article was finished, and they seem to obviously know where it is (ie., haven't 'misplaced it'), then one can assume that something within the article either directly steps on an NDA, or touches upon something 'someone' doesn't want 'distrubed' (as in, they either have their own ideas about what is there, or want to use the article and build-upon it for another project).

I'm making this assumption because the article was ready (supposedly) still during the '3e era', so it wouldn't have conflicted with 4e material or plans (presumably).

On the other hand, the production of 4e was underway for quite awhile without any of us knowing about it, so perhaps the article was saved and there are plans to re-format it with 4e crunch. Could be there are plans now to do regional source/adventure books for FR (using Neverwinter as a flagship product), and they will be re-releasing modules based on the original, and need the article material to update it.

And it could be my second guess is the reason for my first guess - someone is 'saving it' for something.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Aug 2010 21:43:24
Go to Top of Page

Brix
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2010 :  21:56:15  Show Profile Send Brix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The web enhancement was for "Mystery of the Moonsea".
With "Monument of the Ancient" this area might have changed so much that the old 3E fluff is useless.
Guessing.
I believe they don't want any "new" 3E stuff to be released at this point.
Very annoying but thats another topic

Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  08:12:12  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Halidan

I've been playing around with this idea myself, Dalor, ever since the thread on the Spellweavers began. I especially like the idea that Yulash's pyramid is the upper part of a former Spellweaver pyramid, because of the reliance on portals in the Pool of Radiance computer game.
I find this interesting. Have there been any specific spellweaver references in the setting material, because this is just begging for expansion?

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  15:40:34  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only other information I remember about the place

http://oracle.wizards.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind9911c&L=realms-l&D=1&P=14786&F=P
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  20:08:27  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm...may have to ask Steven about what he thinks now.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2010 :  01:13:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

quote:
Originally posted by Halidan

I find this interesting. Have there been any specific spellweaver references in the setting material, because this is just begging for expansion?

You know, you do have access to my archives. Search through them.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2010 :  08:45:11  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Maraloi, Ulutiu ...

Thanks, that is a great idea, it adds up to a campaign I had about the frost fey (Bright Nydra, Ulutiu, the Frost Sprite King) ending the ice age in - 37 000 DR
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000