Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Way of the Powrie
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  05:49:36  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok...I was thinking when I saw this that I knew what a Powrie is...and I still do: it is a scottish faerie sort of critter...sometimes called a Redcap.

So...what the heck is the Way of the Powrie doing as a road that runs from Ilinvur to the Frozen Flindyke and beyond?

Reading around a bit, I can see that the Powrie may be a cross between a Goblin and an Elf!!!

What if the Powrie are the "Twisted Ones" of Tyranthraxus' fame that helped him destroy the Kingdom of Barze and such?

Anyone have any thoughts?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  11:16:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The road could have been named for the presence of one or more Powrie in the area. Perhaps the barriers between the Prime and Faerie are thin, there... Or perhaps there's a prominent crossroads guarded by a Powrie right there.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  17:37:07  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given that the climates of the Tortured Lands and Scotland aren't all that different, I could easily see powries inhabiting the area, perhaps not now, but at least at some time in the past. The road name would have originated as a warning to traveler's and has stuck around ever since.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  18:19:59  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the ideas guys.

I found something over at Dragonsfoot about Powrie...

Their description is that Powrie are a warped combination of Elves and Goblins...

Now the Pool of Radiance is know to twist and warp things...

Tyranthraxus led the "Twisted Ones" in the destruction of the Kingdom of Barze shortly after The Three defeated Maram of the Great Spear.

Maram had caused a path of destruction through the Rystall Wood on his way to the Monument of the Ancients...possibly taking with him Elves he had captured.

Using the power of the Pool of Radiance, he could have caused the spawning of the Powrie by using Goblins as breeding stock. In the end, he didn't use his great horde...but Tyranthraxus sure did!

Just my thoughts on the matter.

By the way, the Powrie are described at Dragonsfoot inside Footprints No. 15 if you are interested. It is free download.

Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  19:48:16  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I played a half goblin-elf for a long time, never knew about powrie. I bet it's a twisted, mutating feyroad.

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  20:15:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The road could run along a ley-line. On a world covered with a 'web' of magic, I'd say ley-lines are a given.

Ley-lines are referred to as 'Fairy paths' in folklore, because faeries - both Seelie and Unseelie - travel invisibly along them. When a mortal tries to control such a path, or build a structure across it, they anger the 'spirits' (faery folk) who basically haunt them and wreak havoc until such interference with their pathway is ended.

Sounds to me like a Redcap is just the fellow to be assigned such a task.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2010 :  01:29:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I adore Markus's "ley-line" idea, and it's kinda what I had in mind when I first read this scroll.

The only thing I would add, is to suggest that the ley-line itself, was perhaps a deteriorated backroad or destroyed remnant of a fey-road [see the d20 Faerie tome for more on this]. That could create some intriguing RPG possibilities for the region.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2010 :  03:33:22  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if any of you know who Angel McCoy is; but she was a co-author of a wonderful book about Fey in the Forgotten Realms. I'll have to pour over it and refresh my memory.

I kinda thought Angel would do more with the FR...we used to LARP together in good ol' Blacksburg VA and Radford VA...she had a wonderful imagination.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  21:09:25  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, nothing I can find that changes my idea about how the Way of the Powrie might be presented.

I'm HEAVILY leaning toward the Fey having been a monumental (pardon the pun) influence on the Moonsea North and the humans there having come to worship certain Fey Lords that then became Gods apart from Faerie.

I think that I'm going to go with the fact that the Way of the Powrie is BOTH a Ley-Line (now nearly vanished) that Tyrant Hraxus used to bring the Twisted Ones to war against other lands but was then stopped.

I'm starting to see the Pool of Radiance as a manifestation of something Fey...just haven't decided yet.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  21:27:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use the pools as 'nexus points' where Ley-lines meet.

Have you read AEG's book Secrets? Some good stuff in there about ley-lines (and fits very well with armies using them to march along).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2011 :  04:30:30  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Pool of Radiance is known to be a gateway to "one of the lower planes", if that helps any. Additionally, Tyranthraxus was able to physically move the pool ... I doubt he could move a bunch of ley-lines* along with it (though it ain't impossible), of course he might just choose a particular destination because it sits at a powerful locus.

* These are actually referred to in D&D (Birthright) canon as "dragon lines", I believe, and much sought out by wizard regents who need "sources" and "fonts" of great magical power. I think they are also mentioned in the Moonshae material (novels?), actually being associated with planes/alignments and called "angel paths", "demon paths", etc.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2011 :  05:01:32  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Birthright used to be my second home...and they were called Ley Lines there as well.

I'm inclined to believe that in the Forgotten Realms they wouldn't be such as they are there...but the Backroads and such created for the FR are very similar I think.

As for moving the Pool of Radiance, I think Tyrant Hraxus manages it by means of moving the pool along ley lines and then creating a sort of new "dam" to create the new pool...

If you look at it that way, then it makes more sense that he is able to move it...and it makes sense to me that the Moonsea area used to be a "stronghold" of Faerie so to speak because of all the Pools.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2011 :  11:17:54  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't see any particular feyishness to the Moonsea region; most of it was just barely outside the borders of ancient Cormanthyr. Honestly, I think Netherese influences might be more pronounced; the entire region seems riddled with portals and pathways to other worlds and planes, it's always been the focus of attention for all sorts of (evil) planar entities. If anything, I'd say the djinns and fiends and giants and orcs have had far more influence than the fey, outside of one little elven empire which lasted some centuries before retreating behind the diminishing forest line.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2011 :  04:52:15  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I don't know if the Redcap from the 3.5 edition Monster Manual III is what you want or not, but there is definitely a small-sized fey of that name there.

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2011 :  05:03:10  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

I don't see any particular feyishness to the Moonsea region; most of it was just barely outside the borders of ancient Cormanthyr. Honestly, I think Netherese influences might be more pronounced; the entire region seems riddled with portals and pathways to other worlds and planes, it's always been the focus of attention for all sorts of (evil) planar entities. If anything, I'd say the djinns and fiends and giants and orcs have had far more influence than the fey, outside of one little elven empire which lasted some centuries before retreating behind the diminishing forest line.

It is there mate...and heavily so. The trick is that it is the Fey we are talking about, and they like to remain hidden.

Also, the Border Forest itself used to be an Elven Kingdom of some importance...and that is within written memory.

There are other things laying about which speak more directly to it that I've found in such varied sources as the "Ruins of Adventure" module, location names (Way of the Powrie as an example), forests that keep re-appearing (such as the Quivering Forest and the Vercy Wood), The Pools of Radiance (which YELL Fey to me)...

So, it is only in where you look...not at what you are looking at...

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2011 :  06:49:14  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ye're probably right, Dalor. My Moonsea region is a decidedly hostile place dominated by foul creatures like orcs, ogres, giants, and humans. But the fey are there if one foolishly decides to look more closely.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2011 :  20:14:01  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ye're probably right, Dalor. My Moonsea region is a decidedly hostile place dominated by foul creatures like orcs, ogres, giants, and humans. But the fey are there if one foolishly decides to look more closely.

I can't decide if you're being sarcastic here...I really can't.

BUT, I can say that there are many Fey I'd put right next to an orc, ogre, giant and a human...and the rest will be dead and the Fey just laughing his guts out as he walks away with some new heads for his collection.

Fey aren't all about Nymphs and Sylphs and dainty little cracker-eaters...there are dark and evil Fey that can make the likes of a fiendish Lord of the Abyss nod in appreciation for their sadistic urges.

So yeah...just because I say the Fey are there...doesn't mean that they are sitting around eating crumpets and drinking tea.

Like Galuf mentioned, Redcaps...NASTY sobs.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2011 :  20:42:19  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually I didn't intend to be sarcastic at all.

The Moonsea area was the keystone for my Realms, and since I initially followed the information from the 1E FRC adventures most carefully I ended up without any substantial population of fey in the region. Unless you count intermittently significant presence of drow raiding parties. I'd somehow gotten the notion that elves tended to live in the forests or cities closer toward the Dales and the smaller elven population of the area were prized by slavers. I made good use of barbaric centaur tribes, a few will-o-wisps, a horny satyr, and even Stojanow river nymphs and aquatic elves (while tending to keep them away from the shore), but never any other varieties of fey.

As it turns out, I'm suddenly looking into running a bit of underwater campaign in the Moonsea region* (thinkin' aquatic elves vs sahaugin/kuo-toa of course, also selecting some hungry fishies and trying to find some sort of amphibious orcs/goblins). Plus, it's quite possible that fey may have infested the region in the 20 Dalereckoning years since the players' last substantial visit.

* The boat sank. So did a lot of other boats. A massive quantity of treasure and a mindless gold golem now sit at the bottom of the Moonsea while my (aquatic-mode) PCs defend it from the local underwater claimants.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 31 Mar 2011 20:52:22
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2011 :  20:49:46  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gotcha.

I'm more inclined to think the area was a place of "cast away" Fey...a place where they congregated when pushed out of the "pretty lands" of the Elven Woods by the nicer Fey.

The Powrie is another name (as far as I've been able to find so far" of a Redcap. In Pathfinder rules, a Redcap is a TRULY horrid enemy. More than ready to drench your blood in his little hat so that he can keep regenerating and dealing more and more misery!

The Evil Fey would perhaps even call a place like the Tortured Lands home...twisted landscape as scarred and ugly as they are on the inside. It would also be a place where, like in Thar, that many of the "scary" sorts of Fey would find home within moorlands and lands of heathland and heather...it just kinda screams Scotland to me; perhaps not in culture, but in the land itself.

That is the direction I'm going with the Fey involvement for my own Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2011 :  20:55:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You guys are disagreeing ('IF' you are disagreeing) over 'apples & oranges'. EDIT: LOL - you both responded before I finished my post.

The Fey are/were a 'Creator Race'. Their influence in the Moonsea region could have been ancient by the time the first Crown Wars started.

Ergo, of course newcomers like humans aren't going to see the influences... at first... but they are there, DEEPLY buried.

I don't want to derail another thread, but in my own HB proto-cosmology material I have it where there was just one Prime World (an entire plane, really) that was 'shattered' during the Godswar. That 'First World' was still "under construction", and things like Ley-lines and Planerpools allowed easy movement, of both people and raw materials, during that construction. They were meant to be shut-down (or at least better-hidden) after the work was done, but after the world was sundered the system broke-down, and most were left active (although all the original connections got scrambled).

Ley-lines are used like roads to beings of energy (spirits & the like; basically, outsiders) - its like jumping on the express lane of the highway. Pools, on the other hand, are Portals, but much more complicated then normal gates - more like the ones the Imaskari used (which they copied off the Creator Races), which were like Stargates (from the TV series and movie). They were re-settable by beings of power (Exarch or better), and any plane could be 'dialed-in' (this was to allow massive amounts of energy and material to be transferred during the construction).

Ley-Lines can be moved, but it usually requires an immense amount of power to do so, so it is not worth the expense under most circumstances. As I have said above, the AEG 3rd-party SECRETS source has lots of great rules and ideas about this stuff (only some of which I am borrowing here - most of this is my own conjecture based on FR's primordial past).

This why I think 'Pools' are the same thing as Moonwells - the Moonwels have merely be attuned to Selune or Chauntea's Realm (or some nature Domain). In fact, the novels even suggest something along these lines; Bane was trying to corrupt at least one Moonwell (IIRC). What he was really doing is trying to re-set it to his own Domain (or some infernal one).

The Pools/Moonwells were the original Road of Stars and Shadows, which is mentioned at the end of Secrets of the Magister. All the other gates made later by the Creators and others simply built-upon the system that was already in-place by 'The Gods'. If you enter one without attuning it to a specific plane or locale, you get something akin to 'The ways' from the WoT novels - a limbo-like region where you can get easily lost (a place where special archmages like Elminster can actually use, as seen in Elminster's Daughter).

Mostly conjecture, mind you, but that's how I see part of the 'Realms magic' working. That original 'web' of magical matrixes may have been what the Weave itself was built on top of (Think of it as DOS, and the Weave is 'Windows').

Edited by - Markustay on 31 Mar 2011 20:59:40
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2011 :  21:11:24  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's hard to find concrete info about the pool of radiance (and similar pools). It's very much talked about from time to time ... but most of the talk is speculative and google content is overwhelmed with chatter about the eponymous games and novels. I agree with you, Markus, it's my understanding that the pools are essentially (evil/Bane) corrupted moonwells. It's never actually stated as such, but what was prevented in the novels might have already occurred long ago in the Moonsea region; thus we have magical pools which serve as portals to lower planes and we have a long-established history of Bane's dominance through a variety of half-forgotten monstrous proxies like the Seven Lost Gods. I'm not aware of any lore specifying ley-lines in the Moonsea region.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2011 :  22:21:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whats cool about that theory (aside from it being mine ), is that you can extrapolate it outward to encompass other canon lore.

For instance, we know that the 'Dark Three' were after the Seven Lost Gods. Those 'lost gods' were supposedly ancient, primordial* powers - who's to say that they didn't have 'special knowledge' about how the Pools worked? perhaps all of them were encamped near one, because they were pulling power from it (which explains why they were still around, despite having little or no worship).

A 'dead god' could use a pool in a similar way a Lich uses a phylactory (different mechanic, but same principle). They are basically on 'life support'.

*Using the English language definition here, and not the 4e one (although they could have very easily been Primordials.. a couple of them anyway.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2011 :  22:54:15  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I'd view the pools more as prisons than phylacteries. Has anyone ever asked Ed any meaningful questions about the actual nature of these particular pools? Was the pool of radiance created by Ed? (I'm thinking it may have been created by James Ward and/or the SSI team, then further defined through subsequent products.) I wonder if the moonwells were actually inspired by the pools.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 31 Mar 2011 22:55:41
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  01:29:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If Ed had Moonwells, I would say that those perfectly circular little ponds were craters, and connected to the moon in 'deeper' ways. OR, maybe the whole island chain (Ed's was smaller and more numerous) are fragments of 'something greater'.

But who knows?

There is a short story about how the first Moonwells were created, but its written from a 'myth' perspective, so it doesn't have to be adhered to all that closely. It also includes info about the Earthmother's chosen servants (those beast-totem thingies).

Since the published Moonshaes are not the same as Ed's Moonshaes, I would just ignore most canon info about the place (and I find myself doing that mmore and more of late).

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  01:52:19  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A better way to ask my question would be: did published lore about moonwells predate the pools? They're obviously very similar (puddles of magic), but which one inspired the other?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  02:14:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Moonwells appeared in the first Moonshae novel, which was released at the same time as the OGB, ergo my assumption would be that Moonwells pre-dated the Pools.

However, from what I understand, the Moonshaes were supposed to be a completely different setting, published by TSR-UK, in which case the novels written for it may have incorporated many elements from that unpublished setting, rather then the Realms (which is why the novels use 'Earthnother', rather the realm's 'Chauntea', which was retro-actively 'repaired' later in the second series).

So the 'Pools' may have come from Ed's notes, and were not originally connected to Douglas Niles's Moonwells, but translated into FR lore, they easilly fit the mold of deity-specific (attuned) Pools.

Although I am still leaning toward planer attunement, rather then deific (Domain), because the Moonwells seem to be connected to at least two deities (which is pure conjecture - the Moonshae Earthmother may encompass both Chauntea and Selune).

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Apr 2011 02:18:35
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  02:56:17  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My reading of the Moonshae novels suggested that Earthmother/Chauntea was strongly manifest in the Moonshaes. Virtually unopposed, actually, powerful enough to seemingly deny entry to other deities (except Kazgoroth/Malar/Bane, of course). In short, the Moonshaes were somehow part of her "domain" and other deities (such as Selûne) generally could not manifest any real power without Earthmother's approval.

Yes, the TSR-UK origins confuse the issue a lot. Darkwalker on Moonshae was published in May 1987; the Pool of Radiance CRPG and FRC1: Ruins of Adventure module (on which it was carefully based) were first released more than a year later (June 1988), followed by the novel (which was only loosely based on FRC1) in 1989 ... the timing is tight, PoR/RoA apparently took "over a year" to develop, so I really don't know whether SSI knew about moonwells when they created the pools. The coincidence suggests to me that both projects might have had access (or directives) relating to some sort of existing Ed lore about magic puddles. Thus I suspect Ed (or TSR's traffic cop) would hold the answer to this question.

I note that Tyranthraxus is described as having an "extra-dimensional nature" which gives him a flat 20% Magic Resistance and may (or may not) account for his flaming aura, ESP, and possession/transferance abilities. This suggests to me that he does not fully exist on the Prime and some part of his essence is still contained in the pool or another (fiery) plane; or perhaps the pool is a conduit through which he cannot fully pass (possibly because of Bane's influence).

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 01 Apr 2011 03:11:46
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  13:54:58  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My reading of the Moonshae novels suggested that Earthmother/Chauntea was strongly manifest in the Moonshaes. Virtually unopposed, actually, powerful enough to seemingly deny entry to other deities (except Kazgoroth/Malar/Bane, of course). In short, the Moonshaes were somehow part of her "domain" and other deities (such as Selûne) generally could not manifest any real power without Earthmother's approval.

Yes, the TSR-UK origins confuse the issue a lot. Darkwalker on Moonshae was published in May 1987; the Pool of Radiance CRPG and FRC1: Ruins of Adventure module (on which it was carefully based) were first released more than a year later (June 1988), followed by the novel (which was only loosely based on FRC1) in 1989 ... the timing is tight, PoR/RoA apparently took "over a year" to develop, so I really don't know whether SSI knew about moonwells when they created the pools. The coincidence suggests to me that both projects might have had access (or directives) relating to some sort of existing Ed lore about magic puddles. Thus I suspect Ed (or TSR's traffic cop) would hold the answer to this question.

I note that Tyranthraxus is described as having an "extra-dimensional nature" which gives him a flat 20% Magic Resistance and may (or may not) account for his flaming aura, ESP, and possession/transferance abilities. This suggests to me that he does not fully exist on the Prime and some part of his essence is still contained in the pool or another (fiery) plane; or perhaps the pool is a conduit through which he cannot fully pass (possibly because of Bane's influence).

The pools of radiance are described in detail in the adventure Pool of Radiance: Attack on Myth Drannor by Sean K Reynolds. Please correct me if I am wrong, I don’t have the module in front of me. When the Weave gathers strongly in one spot it ‘bleeds’ through into Toril forming into pools of radiance. They last for a certain amount of time before the area repairs itself. Now the pools could be forming along the ley-lines/dragonlines and perhaps some do open up into other worlds. My theory is when Tryranthraxus came through a pool into Toril he realized just how powerful it could be to control one. He started to track them down along the dragon-lines and managed to anger the elves, dragons, Moander, Lathander and few other deities or powerful figures . Over the centuries he developed the means to corrupt one then later how to make one portable. All he had to do was what until the next one appeared. The Pool of Radiance in Phlan was a holy place dedicated to the goddess Selune. This crescent shape pool held pure clean holy water and was tended by local sect members. Then one day the nature of the pool changed. An actual pool of radiance formed within its waters. Through deductive reasoning, possession, and a little bit of luck Tyranthraxus knew where the next pool formed. He went to this location and captured the local sect members. Then in a horrific ritual sacrificed them in order to corrupt the pool.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  19:05:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting - that sounds like it was based on Ed's notes, for sure.

It also makes the pools more like 'wounds', which I really wasn't seeing before. I suppose there could be different types of pools (which there are) corresponding to various 'bodily orifices' (if we take The Weave to be a living thing, which it is - a living construct named Mystra).

So, if The Weave is designed to curtail 'raw energy' (as Ed has said it does), filter it, and deliver it in a 'safe form' to mortals, then we could also make the assumption that there may be more then one source of energy that the Weave is filtering (which makes sense in-light of how The Weave was created, no pun intended).

A pool of radiance is like a 'zit'; in fact, all the pools are. Whats bubbling to the surface would depend on what is causing it (which energy has built-up too much in one spot).

So Moonwells and Pools may be related, but of different origins. The Moonwells may have been created in some before-time, as I postulated, for whatever purpose, but the pools occur spontaneously. Both are conduits to various energy-sources (planes, in particular).

Still... I can't help but think that the Moonwells are somehow tears of Selune (not the meteoric kind, but rather, actual tears of a goddess that fell to earth). The name implies a connection, and it probably has something to do with the Earthmother as well.

Thank you for pointing that information out, Bakra.

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Apr 2011 19:06:02
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  19:42:48  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Interesting - that sounds like it was based on Ed's notes, for sure.

It also makes the pools more like 'wounds', which I really wasn't seeing before. I suppose there could be different types of pools (which there are) corresponding to various 'bodily orifices' (if we take The Weave to be a living thing, which it is - a living construct named Mystra).

So, if The Weave is designed to curtail 'raw energy' (as Ed has said it does), filter it, and deliver it in a 'safe form' to mortals, then we could also make the assumption that there may be more then one source of energy that the Weave is filtering (which makes sense in-light of how The Weave was created, no pun intended).

A pool of radiance is like a 'zit'; in fact, all the pools are. Whats bubbling to the surface would depend on what is causing it (which energy has built-up too much in one spot).

So Moonwells and Pools may be related, but of different origins. The Moonwells may have been created in some before-time, as I postulated, for whatever purpose, but the pools occur spontaneously. Both are conduits to various energy-sources (planes, in particular).

Still... I can't help but think that the Moonwells are somehow tears of Selune (not the meteoric kind, but rather, actual tears of a goddess that fell to earth). The name implies a connection, and it probably has something to do with the Earthmother as well.

Thank you for pointing that information out, Bakra.

You are welcome, thanks for making the 'zit' reference. I wasn't able to do it myself.

I'm beginning to think we need to start a Moonwells thread. And I'm stealing your idea about how they are created.
Big question: What made Selune weep? Are the happy tears? Or were they sad tears?

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  19:55:07  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not weeping. The sun got in her eyes, that's all.

And for an encore, I'll just go away and listen to Dark Side of Selûne by Sphinx Boyd.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 01 Apr 2011 19:56:41
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000