Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Monument of the Ancients adventure
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2009 :  00:59:13  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Full disclosure, I'm a friend of the authors and thanked in the acknowledgments for playtesting (along with Garen Thal, Gomez, Erik Scott de Bie, and guys I'm not sure post here), but day-um, this is a fantastic adventure! So much lore! So many cool encounters! This is the real Realms deal.

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2009 :  01:06:36  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do I get a cool new CK title now? :D

A huge thanks to my brother Brian for whom this would not have been possible. Also to the cool guys at Gen Con that helped us out with a few small kinks (their names are notated in the adventure at the end).

Please let us know your thoughts. It is cram-packed with juicy Realmslore.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2009 :  02:01:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

Do I get a cool new CK title now? :D
I'll talk it over with Alaundo and see what we can arrange.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2009 :  02:15:22  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it 4E realmslore?

Dancing is like standing still, but faster.
My site: http://www.patoumonde.com
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2009 :  04:02:31  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2009 :  11:52:15  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Realmslore itself details some ancient aspects of the Moonsea North. In this regard, I can't label anything a specific edition of the game. I consider the two mutually exclusive :)

In short, there is no event that is tied to the RSEs of 4e (i.e. Spellplague, etc...). Because the adventure is set in 1469 DR however, there are some specific things that have been updated. But, if you are a Realmslore fan, you will find this adventure to be pleasantly gentle to the sensibilities of our beloved Realms.

Edited by - Matt James on 24 Sep 2009 11:55:19
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2009 :  23:24:38  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am thankful to have played a small role in the formation of this excellent piece. Also, it saw the memorable use of my 4e PC build of Fox-at-Twilight, who was well on her way to getting it in good with both the Lord Protector and Sir Brahms.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2009 :  23:26:52  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She was very charismatic. You nearly had them on their knees before you.

Fox-at-Twilight was awesome to see in action- just as I imagined her. Of course, it helps that the creator was portraying her ;)
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2009 :  23:51:30  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there a chance that you guys put some kind of summary of that gaming session here? Would have loved to be there...

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2009 :  09:18:38  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Fox-at-Twilight was awesome to see in action- just as I imagined her. Of course, it helps that the creator was portraying her ;)

I should have played Samanatha to give her some competition... then again, *someone* in the party should stay alert (aka paranoid and afraid of anything that moves).

I am still debating on whether to read the adventure or not (so as to avoid spoilers).
From what I skimmed, I noticed some fair detail of Phlan and some nice maps (though one is rotated 90 degrees, which is a bit confusing at first). A detail map besides the overview map for encounter M1 might have been useful (not strictly necessary, but may have been an aid when drawing up a battlemap).
I had hoped to find a reference to some general rumors, but I either missed those or perhaps they were cut. Maybe something for when it is adapted.
The images make me curious. I fear I will have to consider to 'eat' the adventure... if I have to wait until I can play it will be at another Gencon...

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2009 :  11:19:33  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Our adventure already shattered the word-count that WotC wanted. While we wanted to include so many different things, it just wasn't possible. I believe after all was said and done, we doubled the limit they imposed ;)
Go to Top of Page

Neil Bishop
Learned Scribe

Singapore
100 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2009 :  15:50:19  Show Profile  Visit Neil Bishop's Homepage Send Neil Bishop a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Our adventure already shattered the word-count that WotC wanted. While we wanted to include so many different things, it just wasn't possible. I believe after all was said and done, we doubled the limit they imposed ;)

It's been a long time since I was truly impressed with an adventure published by WotC. Words counts shouldn't be an issue when 1. it's only a PDF and 2. the adventure of this quality. You guys have done a great job and I look forward to including this as the centrepiece of my next campaign which will be set in the lands surrounding the Moonsea.

Regards
NXB
Go to Top of Page

Brix
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2009 :  15:18:02  Show Profile Send Brix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations for this fantastic module.
Like you I played through the SSI game, and devoured any (sparse) information about this city ever since.

I have some concrete questions.

1. Cadorna Family is mentioned as as one governing merchant family. Porphyris Cadorna, supposed to be the last heir of the Cardona clan, was killed, defeated during PoR. What has happended, that the family could re-establish its former power in the city.
2. Tyr had a strong presence in Phlan during PoR. What has happened that the church of Tyr is away now and the city is ruled by banites.
3. Verdigris and Glacier of the Silver Blades is mentioned. Are there any infos on these places?
4. Any leftover infos you can share?

Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2009 :  13:05:47  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brix, you bring up some excellent questions. I will try to dodge them as much as I can... err... help you out!

[1] Aha! This is for the individual DMs to determine. This area could go either way, really. You (the DM) could introduce any numerous options here; such as Porphyris not actually dying, being resurrected, or another member surfaces. Also, it could be some villain/vagabond that is using the name to their advantage; able to produce (false) documentation to prove their claim. As for canon? That's yet to be decided I would think. All that is known at this point (1480 DR) is that House Cadorna is one of the governing merchant families.

[2] Alot changed since the dates surrounding PoR and much of how Tyr-followers got removed can be related to several topics. (a) Politics: When the self-proclaimed Daoran dynasty took over, power was readily depleted from the original council (disolved) which thus cascaded into other areas of the city. (b) Sphere of Influence: Phlan has always been a great strategic holding point for the forces of evil (so-to-speak). It was not difficult for forces of Zhentil Keep to slowly erode the opposition forces of the region. More a matter of attrition; or something else?

[3] Virdigris fell to barbarian and elemental attacks.

[4] I'll try to stir up some stuff as well as get my brother in on this :)
Go to Top of Page

Brix
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2009 :  14:39:09  Show Profile Send Brix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the twist with the Banites very much.

Speaking of Cadorna he already employed the Black Watch (disguised Zhentarim) during PoR events (novel), so maybe he even had some (magical) aid from Banites at that time? Very intriguing whatever route you take.

Now almost any Lost God has some treatment, only Camnod is missing now, as far as I know.

Any news on the Mysteries of the Moonsea web-enhancement that dealt with Phlan?

Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2009 :  15:05:51  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey there fellow gamers,

In the PoR novel Porphyris was possessed by Tyranthraxus, who then fled the area. Tyranthraxus returns in a different body later in the Curse of the Azure Bonds module (not the video game). Porphyris fate is uncertain at this point but it is a good guess that he survived. Also, there is no telling how many unrecognized offspring were running around in the Realms in the 1340’s.
I would like to add further to Matts response. I came to the conclusion Tyr’s influence began to wane in Phlan when the banites enforced the Treaty of the Ride and occupied the city. His portfolio prevented him from fighting off the Zhent troops. They were their legitimately. I would like to think the relationships between the two churches were cold during the occupation. Also Tyr may have been the main church in the city but they also had a church to Sune, Tempus, and Ilmater. (These were gathered from the various the novels, computer games, and gaming supplements) So there was a healthy dose of competition going on within Phlans walls. The main thing to seal the churches fate was Tyr given up his divinity and then dying shortly afterwards. Plus the Spellplague occurred and everything went mad. The only organized ruling force and the only large number of divine aid was the church of Bane.

My two coppers,

Bakra

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2009 :  16:01:44  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...hence our references to the Black Fist and other fun tid-bits. Phlan is governed in what I like to call an "accepted dictatorship". Meaning, the people are pleased they have good homes to live in and plenty of food on their plates. Lord Protector Anivar Daoran does not rule with a firm punishing fist so there is no real reason for the citizens to revolt. They tolerate the fact that the council was disbanded by his grandfather (Cvaal Daoran) because politically it made sense at the time. Over the years they just chose to stick it out with the stewardship because it worked well enough.

I should point out, if it was not already very clear, that politics are the driving force behind how things are now. It is easy to see the contrast when you look at an entire century of time. But, the progression through the years is where the subtle details are.

Edit: Fixed my own grammar

Edited by - Matt James on 05 Oct 2009 19:39:52
Go to Top of Page

Brix
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2009 :  17:14:27  Show Profile Send Brix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Splendid!

So many great ideas!

Go to Top of Page

Brix
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2009 :  19:21:27  Show Profile Send Brix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...Cvaal Daoran, who single handedly slew a shade
prince during the Shadowbane War of 1383 DR...

The Shadowbane War...
Sounds like fun. Do you have a story for that one?

Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2009 :  20:13:42  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like this adventure is a must-have. Too bad my DDI subscription ended last week (I tried it for a month). I'll have to subscribe again just for this .
Go to Top of Page

Brix
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2009 :  09:24:26  Show Profile Send Brix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[1] Aha! This is for the individual DMs to determine. This area could go either way, really. You (the DM) could introduce any numerous options here; such as Porphyris not actually dying, being resurrected, or another member surfaces. Also, it could be some villain/vagabond that is using the name to their advantage; able to produce (false) documentation to prove their claim. As for canon? That's yet to be decided I would think. All that is known at this point (1480 DR) is that House Cadorna is one of the governing merchant families.

But what weighs also heavily is the fact, that Cadorna was a known traitor. Somehow he (or his progeny) managed to twist history, so that the name Cadorna is widely accepted again to a point that they are involved in the government.

Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2009 :  14:17:35  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brix

quote:

But what weighs also heavily is the fact, that Cadorna was a known traitor. Somehow he (or his progeny) managed to twist history, so that the name Cadorna is widely accepted again to a point that they are involved in the government.

No twisting at all. Most people in Toril don’t believe in the ‘sins of the father’ should be held against an individual. “ Yes, Porphyris betrayed the city and we named a gate to memorialized his treachery. But the current heir is a good person and always works hard for the community. And that is good enough for me.” The heirs had over a hundred years to restore their family name. As long as they acknowledge the past and try not to actively change Traitors Gate to another name then they should be fine.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Brix
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2009 :  14:47:55  Show Profile Send Brix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No twisting at all....

That's also a cool idea.
Throw this adventures against old-school PoR fans and they will discover nice suprises at every corner.
It's a little bit like the mirror universe from star trek

Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2009 :  18:49:19  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My group played through the Ruins of Adventure module a couple of years ago. They all remember Cadorna and I think they would like this adventure.

It doesn't say something about Tyranthraxus does it? T's been the players' long time archenemy in that campaign. I would love to see their faces if T shows up again. I have been thinking about T making a come-back...

Edited by - Tyranthraxus on 07 Oct 2009 18:53:54
Go to Top of Page

Brix
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2009 :  19:31:25  Show Profile Send Brix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It doesn't say something about Tyranthraxus does it? T's been the players' long time archenemy in that campaign. I would love to see their faces if T shows up again. I have been thinking about T making a come-back...

Lord T is only mentioned, but the adventure deals with one of his fellow "lost gods" Maram of the Great Spear.

Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2009 :  19:46:49  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Lord T is only mentioned, but the adventure deals with one of his fellow "lost gods" Maram of the Great Spear.

Isn't Tyranthraxus actually Maram in disguise or is this some weird conspiracy theory?

I think I read something like that in the PoR journal years ago...
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2009 :  20:02:34  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyranthraxus

quote:

quote:

Isn't Tyranthraxus actually Maram in disguise or is this some weird conspiracy theory?

The journal entry was noted as ‘false’ in the PoR cluebook. False entries were includes in the games for that time period. This was mostly to keep people like me guessing when I read the entries ahead of time. One of the possible fates of Tyranthraxus lies in the Curse of the Azure Bonds module FRC2. I do believe it escaped this fate. My beliefs stem from a brief write up in the Villians Lore book.

So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO

Edited by - Bakra on 07 Oct 2009 20:20:46
Go to Top of Page

Brix
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2009 :  20:03:07  Show Profile Send Brix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's conspiracy. These "lost gods" existed, and have all been dealt with in various products, except Camnod the Unseen.

However as far as I know it has not been explicitly mentioned what they are (in 3E terms) and where they came from. I think at some point it was said that Lord T. was a demipower.

Maybe they are a kind quasi-elemental elder evil/demons?

Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2009 :  20:05:57  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brain R James suggested T being a primordial.
Go to Top of Page

Brix
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2009 :  20:08:49  Show Profile Send Brix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I do believe he escaped his fate though since he gets a brief write up in the web enhancement for Cloak & Dagger.

As far as I remember T. is in his current state a possessing spirit. When his host is killed or he is driven out of his host by the Blade of Lathander he must find a new host within a given amount of time, which shouldn't pose a problem since he can also posses a mouse.

However I don't know what he was before he turned into a relative weak spirit.

It seems that he gains strenght from nodes of power like the pool of radiance and can also use them to teleport from pool to pool.

Go to Top of Page

Brix
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2009 :  20:09:30  Show Profile Send Brix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyranthraxus

Brain R James suggested T being a primordial.

What's that in 3E terms?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000