Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Monument of the Ancients adventure

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Christopher_Rowe Posted - 24 Sep 2009 : 00:59:13
Full disclosure, I'm a friend of the authors and thanked in the acknowledgments for playtesting (along with Garen Thal, Gomez, Erik Scott de Bie, and guys I'm not sure post here), but day-um, this is a fantastic adventure! So much lore! So many cool encounters! This is the real Realms deal.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Matt James Posted - 19 May 2011 : 02:50:44
There is a ton of Realms articles when you actually dig deep. Gomez compiled a list somewhere. I have a couple, namely the Ikemmu one (Sphur Upra) and one of Akanul.
Thieran Posted - 24 Apr 2011 : 18:24:52
Thanks a lot, that was very helpful!
Diffan Posted - 24 Apr 2011 : 17:18:16
quote:
Originally posted by Thieran

Thanks for the info, Matt!
I am actually tempted to subscribe to DDI for a short term to get hold of MotA...
Could anyone recommend a number of other gems in DDI, which are not directly dependent on the 4th Edition ruleset (because I don't use it)?

Well, all the adventures in Dungeon can easily be adapted into other editions of Dungeons and Dragons. There's Ecologies of monsters, Ed's articles with his Eye on the Realms pieces (which have been really great reads), short stories, etc.

DDI for a 1 year subscription is approx $72 bucks (or about $6 a month) and you get both Dungeon and Dragon magazines. Now, 4E is the mechanics the content is based off of but that shouldn't stop intelligent people from taking ideas and information therein and adjusting it for their own.

The tools of DDI (Character Builder, Monster/DM toolkit, and tools to be added later) run on a separate constantly-renewed client application called Silverlight. Though I used the term constantly-renewed loosley because it's not AUTO-renewed like some applications are.

I can understand why people are mad at the discontinuation of the off-line Character Builder (I was too at first) but the whole Cherry-picking thing was a silly idea to begin with and I'm glad they went to an On-line basis. For one, my character can be imported/exported anywhere there is a computer with internet service and the ability to download Silverlight. This means I don't ever have to really worry about a character sheet going missing (I know it's happened to others). Plus, I still have my old off-line CB so I can still use that as much as I'd like with no problems except the new Errata (big whoop there).

I've always found the DDI Compendium a great GREAT tool for quick references. It has everything except the Rules on there for player's to look up or refer to. It has everything from feats, spell, and class features to magic items, monsters, and build arch-types. It's really worth the $6 a month honestly.
Thieran Posted - 24 Apr 2011 : 17:00:58
Thanks for the info, Matt!
I am actually tempted to subscribe to DDI for a short term to get hold of MotA...
Could anyone recommend a number of other gems in DDI, which are not directly dependent on the 4th Edition ruleset (because I don't use it)?
Matt James Posted - 24 Apr 2011 : 02:43:37
MotA still requires a DDI sub. It is not a LFR adventure. The RPGA adapted our adventure for their own use, but they can't put it up (only their own changes--which are not canon).
Ayrik Posted - 03 Apr 2011 : 20:13:15
The articles/mags are exactly what I'm after, and not even many of those. The software (chargens, mapmakers, etc) doesn't interest me at all; there's plenty of free and indy options to draw from, assuming I don't just code my own tools as needed.
Markustay Posted - 03 Apr 2011 : 18:57:26
Which is why they changed how the character generator works - you used to be able to download and use it directly from your HD.

I assume too many people were just 'dipping' into DDi for a month to grab the 'kewl lewts' and run. You can still do that with most of the stuff (the articles/mags), but for the software-side of things you need a subscription, and I understand they are more fully integrating the computer-end of things into 4e as we speak.

In that regard, I still opt a "wait and see" attitude. I have high hopes.
Ayrik Posted - 03 Apr 2011 : 16:06:32
Ah, I was hoping somebody would volunteer this sort of inside information, Diffan, thanx. So DDI is not a bad idea if the intent is just to pick up some dragons and bits of "secret" lore. I was afraid ye'd need to run a constantly-renewed client app or somesuch.
Diffan Posted - 03 Apr 2011 : 15:33:22
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

I'd rather spend an extra US$72/year on actual D&D books (hardcopy preferred, ebooks when necessary). Though I have considered buying a month of DDI just to download the particular (otherwise accessible) items I need. I assume ye can actually download stuff and keep a (DRM-free, unencrypted, standard format) local copy forever? ... that ye don't need to maintain the subscription to access it only from the cloud? I want to buy books, not prepaid calling cards to dial Wizbro's mothership, not amazing Wizbro-crunch secret decryption rings which expire the moment you stop sinking money. lol, I don't want to sound like a crank, and I really don't care so much about a few bucks, but why spend money on intangible and ephemeral products?

Well for starters, a one-month subscription allows all the back-logs of Dungeon and Dragon in the past two years. And up until this year (starting Jan 1st) all the articles are downloadable at once. Starting this year, they've made it so you can download an individual article (though not PAY for such articles). Plus, it's a downloaded PDF so it's always accessable on your Hard Drive and if you really felt inclinded you could go to any office-max place and print them out into an actual magazine.

There is also content that's only available through DDI, so with a one-month subscription you get all that content from 2 years ago to this month etc.... I'm not trying to sell DDI to you, frankly I could care less, but I feel I should mention the perks to having it and the information it provides if your using 4E.

If your not using 4E, then I'd assume it's not worth it.
Ayrik Posted - 03 Apr 2011 : 01:06:46
I'd rather spend an extra US$72/year on actual D&D books (hardcopy preferred, ebooks when necessary). Though I have considered buying a month of DDI just to download the particular (otherwise accessible) items I need. I assume ye can actually download stuff and keep a (DRM-free, unencrypted, standard format) local copy forever? ... that ye don't need to maintain the subscription to access it only from the cloud? I want to buy books, not prepaid calling cards to dial Wizbro's mothership, not amazing Wizbro-crunch secret decryption rings which expire the moment you stop sinking money. lol, I don't want to sound like a crank, and I really don't care so much about a few bucks, but why spend money on intangible and ephemeral products?
Markustay Posted - 02 Apr 2011 : 22:43:52
Try joining some of their forum groups - you'd be surprised how much adventure-data you can glean from their resources (maps, lore, NPCs, etc).

I am a member of several groups, and there is not a piece of DDi info I can't 'dig up' if I need to. Its all there - just expect to do a LOT of reading to get to 'the good stuff'.

And I am not cheap - I just haven't read anything I'd be willing to pay $10 a month for. When that happens, I will start paying.
Diffan Posted - 02 Apr 2011 : 21:32:40
Hmmmm, sorry that's the best I can do. I have a DDI account so it's probably why I didn't see a problem with it. Well for what it's worth, DDI subscriptions are farily cheap and if your group goes in on it evenly, it'd only cost you less than $10 bucks a year.
Thieran Posted - 02 Apr 2011 : 19:07:11
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

I thought the LFR adventures were free downloads that didnt require a DDI account? I know there is a link to them somewhere. And seriously, I'd have though any sense of FR lore would be welcome regardless of edition? And its free (if I can find the link) so whats the problem?

Thanks for that, Diffan! However, it does not seem to be a complete version by any means.

quote:
LFR website
To run this adaptation, you will need a copy of the adventure, which is found in issue 170 of Dungeon Magazine. Because of this, at least one person at the table needs to have a subscription to D&D Insider. We recommend that you allow a minimum of eight hours of playing time to complete this adventure.
Diffan Posted - 02 Apr 2011 : 18:58:40
Now I remember: www.livingforgottenrealms.com has the pdfs for free download
Diffan Posted - 02 Apr 2011 : 18:47:58
I thought the LFR adventures were free downloads that didnt require a DDI account? I know there is a link to them somewhere. And seriously, I'd have though any sense of FR lore would be welcome regardless of edition? And its free (if I can find the link) so whats the problem?
Thieran Posted - 02 Apr 2011 : 18:17:00
As some time has passed since the question was asked, is there now (in April 2011) a non-DDI way to get hold of a copy of this apparently very cool adventure?
Dalor Darden Posted - 08 Aug 2010 : 07:16:31
"Yes, yes it does indeed..." my eyes tell me as I read it.

Is there yet anything the two of you (Brand and/or Matt) can elaborate on?
Dalor Darden Posted - 03 Aug 2010 : 19:29:42
This particular adventure...does it contain much concerning the environs of The Ride?
Matt James Posted - 03 Aug 2010 : 18:20:57
Jakk, I'll give you a copy if we ever meet. That way it won't insult your sensibilities ;)
Rhewtani Posted - 09 Jul 2010 : 16:10:59
I know this old, but it's fairly clear that Cadorna is dead, he shows up as an undead in Pools of Darkness, I thought.
Jakk Posted - 06 Mar 2010 : 23:29:31
Heh. Thanks for the links, Sage and Ashe, but anything that's being billed as a 4E "rules supplement" likely has nothing I'm interested in. The mantra of 4E seems to be, "if you want lore, make it up yourself, then deal with the consequences on your own when that lore is contradicted by a future product that (at this point) we have no plans to put into print, but can't tell you anything about in case we change our minds"...[/rant]

That mini-rant is directed at NDAs that don't get cancelled along with their related products, not at 4E in particular, but official lore was much easier to come by before the Spellplague. Maybe it's really some sort of McCarthyist disease, nothing to do with magic at all... ... or maybe there's just no such thing as "official lore" any more. That would make our jobs as DMs much easier, except for the fact that then we'd have to create all the lore ourselves, which defeats the purpose of buying a pre-created campaign world in the first place.

When Wizbro decides to sell DDI articles individually, I'll happily buy this article, even for the price of a full issue of a printed monthly periodical. Until then, I'll live without it; sorry, Brian and Matt.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 06 Mar 2010 : 06:39:28
The first Dragon Annual came out last August at GenCon.

The Dungeon Annual is scheduled to release on May 18th. No word on a 2010 annual.
The Sage Posted - 06 Mar 2010 : 06:31:23
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

Now you could write them and ask if it is going to get printed inside the Dungeon Magazine Annual coming out in May. Or you could just wait until may then flip through it.

Printed annual? I've heard nothing about this (I've not paid any attention to WotC for a while)... Have you a link?

Could be something similar to the DRAGON Annuals that have been printed and which contain content from various DDI articles.

Wow, I've missed those entirely. Any FR stuff in those annuals?

I'm not entirely sure, though I'd imagine some of the "best" FR articles of '09 were included. Since I've got a DDI subscription, I've not really bothered purchasing the hardcover compilations. But here's the product details, if you're interested:- http://wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/dndacc/242070000

And here's the details for the upcoming DUNGEON compilation release:- http://wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/dndacc/250317200
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Mar 2010 : 02:29:30
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

Now you could write them and ask if it is going to get printed inside the Dungeon Magazine Annual coming out in May. Or you could just wait until may then flip through it.

Printed annual? I've heard nothing about this (I've not paid any attention to WotC for a while)... Have you a link?

Could be something similar to the DRAGON Annuals that have been printed and which contain content from various DDI articles.

Wow, I've missed those entirely. Any FR stuff in those annuals?
The Sage Posted - 06 Mar 2010 : 00:31:27
quote:

quote:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Mar 2010 : 00:18:40
quote:

Brian R. James Posted - 05 Mar 2010 : 21:59:54
I've heard rumors that Monument of the Ancients may be converted into a format suitable for the RPGA. In that case, you'd be able to download the adventure, assuming you have a RPGA membership (which is free).
Bakra Posted - 05 Mar 2010 : 13:03:30
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

More specifically, is there yet a way to get this article without subscribing to D&D Insider? Until Wizbro lets us buy individual articles, I refuse to touch DDI, because to me, the whole point of moving the magazines online was so that people could pick and choose what they wanted. the best Realms material is still the 1E and 2E stuff.

The simple answer is no. As for WotC current format for their online periodicals this isn’t going to change anytime soon. Much to my annoyance they are using a well established format implemented over a decade ago by other companies. Now you could write them and ask if it is going to get printed inside the Dungeon Magazine Annual coming out in May. Or you could just wait until may then flip through it.
Jakk Posted - 04 Mar 2010 : 23:58:42
Anything new on this? More specifically, is there yet a way to get this article without subscribing to D&D Insider? Until Wizbro lets us buy individual articles, I refuse to touch DDI, because to me, the whole point of moving the magazines online was so that people could pick and choose what they wanted. Of course, the DDI submission guidelines, specifically re: ratios of mechanics to story, just kill everything "official" for me anyway, because I don't play 4E, won't touch the Spellplague, and always bought 1E, 2E, and 3E FR products for the lore first and the mechanics/rules a distant second; the best Realms material is still the 1E and 2E stuff.
Matt James Posted - 11 Oct 2009 : 02:08:48
Unfortunately no. And this is not because I am trying to be purposely vague; I just don't know what I can and cannot say at this point.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000