Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Monument of the Ancients adventure
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2009 :  20:10:31  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyranthraxus

Brain R James suggested T being a primordial.

I’m not sure if this is official yet. Did he slip it into the adventure and I overlooked it?

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2009 :  20:13:58  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brix

quote:

What's that in 3E terms?

In Tyranthraxus case it would be demipower. In the PoR novel it was noted he escape from a place where other powerful beings existed and he was the weakest. Please note it has been years since I last read the novel but that is the way I remember it being written.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO

Edited by - Bakra on 07 Oct 2009 20:15:35
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2009 :  20:16:15  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

What's that in 3E terms?

I dunno, I always thought of him being a unique entity. See this scroll for my 3.5 stats for him.
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2009 :  20:22:31  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

What's that in 3E terms?

I dunno, I always thought of him being a unique entity. See this scroll for my 3.5 stats for him.

In second edition he could be a quasi-power...it defiantly was a unique being.

So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2009 :  20:31:10  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

quote:

quote:

quote:

What's that in 3E terms?

In second edition he could be a quasi-power...it defiantly was a unique being.

In my campaign I thought of him as a demigod (and now with 4e a primordial). I don't have my notes on him at hand, but IRC Bane took some of his power and leaving him bodiless, cursing T to jump from body to body via Pools of Radiance. T also became a servant of Bane after that.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2009 :  00:45:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

What's that in 3E terms?

Considering the reference about Primordials, Brian was likely referring to his status as of 4e. It's something he spoke about during a similar Tyranthraxus discussion back in October '08:- "For what it's worth, I see Tyranthraxus as a Primordial (along with Borem, Haask and the other Lost Gods)."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Brix
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2009 :  07:27:24  Show Profile Send Brix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Considering the reference about Primordials, Brian was likely referring to his status as of 4e. It's something he spoke about during a similar Tyranthraxus discussion back in October '08:- "For what it's worth, I see Tyranthraxus as a Primordial (along with Borem, Haask and the other Lost Gods)."

Slightly off topic. But with the new information the lost gods would also fit as substitudes for a Realms conversion on ToEE, set in Barze...

Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2009 :  12:54:32  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Our intention was to bring to light that the Seven Lost Gods were indeed Elemental Primoridals who fell in service to Bane when he ascended. I have a ton of reference material, I'll have to dig for it later.
Go to Top of Page

Brix
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2009 :  07:52:12  Show Profile Send Brix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'll have to dig for it later.

Yes, please! That's a very interessting topic that popped up serveral times since the original module.
You can run several campaigns in the "Pools" setting. So the more information the better.

Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2009 :  12:00:40  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, there is the PoR reference:

"those who fell down and became servants of the great lord Bane": Maram of the Great Spear; Haask, Voice of Hargut; Tyranthraxus the Flamed One; Borem of the Lake of Boiling Mud; and Camnod the Unseen."

Followed by small references to Cloak & Dagger that mention nearly the same. There was a lot of open space to work with so we wanted to connect the dots and produce something retro and "cool". This also opens up a ton of new-found speculation on the ascension of Bane and the events surrounding it; specifically, why primordial beings fell subservient to a divine god.
Go to Top of Page

Brix
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2009 :  00:53:54  Show Profile Send Brix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...and on the map I found a reference about "Camnod's Cairn"
Camnod is the only one that has not been dealt with in an official product.
Can tell us something about this place or what you have in mind for Camnod?

Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2009 :  02:08:48  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately no. And this is not because I am trying to be purposely vague; I just don't know what I can and cannot say at this point.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2010 :  23:58:42  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anything new on this? More specifically, is there yet a way to get this article without subscribing to D&D Insider? Until Wizbro lets us buy individual articles, I refuse to touch DDI, because to me, the whole point of moving the magazines online was so that people could pick and choose what they wanted. Of course, the DDI submission guidelines, specifically re: ratios of mechanics to story, just kill everything "official" for me anyway, because I don't play 4E, won't touch the Spellplague, and always bought 1E, 2E, and 3E FR products for the lore first and the mechanics/rules a distant second; the best Realms material is still the 1E and 2E stuff.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2010 :  13:03:30  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

More specifically, is there yet a way to get this article without subscribing to D&D Insider? Until Wizbro lets us buy individual articles, I refuse to touch DDI, because to me, the whole point of moving the magazines online was so that people could pick and choose what they wanted. the best Realms material is still the 1E and 2E stuff.

The simple answer is no. As for WotC current format for their online periodicals this isn’t going to change anytime soon. Much to my annoyance they are using a well established format implemented over a decade ago by other companies. Now you could write them and ask if it is going to get printed inside the Dungeon Magazine Annual coming out in May. Or you could just wait until may then flip through it.

So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2010 :  21:59:54  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've heard rumors that Monument of the Ancients may be converted into a format suitable for the RPGA. In that case, you'd be able to download the adventure, assuming you have a RPGA membership (which is free).

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2010 :  00:18:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Now you could write them and ask if it is going to get printed inside the Dungeon Magazine Annual coming out in May. Or you could just wait until may then flip through it.

Printed annual? I've heard nothing about this (I've not paid any attention to WotC for a while)... Have you a link?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2010 :  00:31:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Now you could write them and ask if it is going to get printed inside the Dungeon Magazine Annual coming out in May. Or you could just wait until may then flip through it.

Printed annual? I've heard nothing about this (I've not paid any attention to WotC for a while)... Have you a link?

Could be something similar to the DRAGON Annuals that have been printed and which contain content from various DDI articles.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2010 :  02:29:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

Could be something similar to the DRAGON Annuals that have been printed and which contain content from various DDI articles.

Wow, I've missed those entirely. Any FR stuff in those annuals?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2010 :  06:31:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

Wow, I've missed those entirely. Any FR stuff in those annuals?

I'm not entirely sure, though I'd imagine some of the "best" FR articles of '09 were included. Since I've got a DDI subscription, I've not really bothered purchasing the hardcover compilations. But here's the product details, if you're interested:- http://wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/dndacc/242070000

And here's the details for the upcoming DUNGEON compilation release:- http://wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/dndacc/250317200

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2010 :  06:39:28  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first Dragon Annual came out last August at GenCon.

The Dungeon Annual is scheduled to release on May 18th. No word on a 2010 annual.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2010 :  23:29:31  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. Thanks for the links, Sage and Ashe, but anything that's being billed as a 4E "rules supplement" likely has nothing I'm interested in. The mantra of 4E seems to be, "if you want lore, make it up yourself, then deal with the consequences on your own when that lore is contradicted by a future product that (at this point) we have no plans to put into print, but can't tell you anything about in case we change our minds"...[/rant]

That mini-rant is directed at NDAs that don't get cancelled along with their related products, not at 4E in particular, but official lore was much easier to come by before the Spellplague. Maybe it's really some sort of McCarthyist disease, nothing to do with magic at all... ... or maybe there's just no such thing as "official lore" any more. That would make our jobs as DMs much easier, except for the fact that then we'd have to create all the lore ourselves, which defeats the purpose of buying a pre-created campaign world in the first place.

When Wizbro decides to sell DDI articles individually, I'll happily buy this article, even for the price of a full issue of a printed monthly periodical. Until then, I'll live without it; sorry, Brian and Matt.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 06 Mar 2010 23:30:55
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2010 :  16:10:59  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know this old, but it's fairly clear that Cadorna is dead, he shows up as an undead in Pools of Darkness, I thought.
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2010 :  18:20:57  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jakk, I'll give you a copy if we ever meet. That way it won't insult your sensibilities ;)
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2010 :  19:29:42  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This particular adventure...does it contain much concerning the environs of The Ride?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2010 :  07:16:31  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Yes, yes it does indeed..." my eyes tell me as I read it.

Is there yet anything the two of you (Brand and/or Matt) can elaborate on?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2011 :  18:17:00  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As some time has passed since the question was asked, is there now (in April 2011) a non-DDI way to get hold of a copy of this apparently very cool adventure?
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2011 :  18:47:58  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought the LFR adventures were free downloads that didnt require a DDI account? I know there is a link to them somewhere. And seriously, I'd have though any sense of FR lore would be welcome regardless of edition? And its free (if I can find the link) so whats the problem?
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2011 :  18:58:40  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now I remember: www.livingforgottenrealms.com has the pdfs for free download
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2011 :  19:07:11  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

I thought the LFR adventures were free downloads that didnt require a DDI account? I know there is a link to them somewhere. And seriously, I'd have though any sense of FR lore would be welcome regardless of edition? And its free (if I can find the link) so whats the problem?

Thanks for that, Diffan! However, it does not seem to be a complete version by any means.

quote:
LFR website
To run this adaptation, you will need a copy of the adventure, which is found in issue 170 of Dungeon Magazine. Because of this, at least one person at the table needs to have a subscription to D&D Insider. We recommend that you allow a minimum of eight hours of playing time to complete this adventure.

Edited by - Thieran on 02 Apr 2011 19:11:05
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2011 :  21:32:40  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm, sorry that's the best I can do. I have a DDI account so it's probably why I didn't see a problem with it. Well for what it's worth, DDI subscriptions are farily cheap and if your group goes in on it evenly, it'd only cost you less than $10 bucks a year.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000