Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Ride
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  11:47:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by capnvan

quote:

I've still got thousands of them sitting in stacks around here. Even some of the older 5-and-a-quarter-inch disks [and a few cassette tapes as well, for an archaic Commodore 64 tape drive].

I trust that the SageChive has backed all those up. Cos they really don't last forever.

SageChive? I like it.

And yes, the majority have been converted to SageOS-applicable format. Though I've got some old G. I. Joe dossiers [you know the ones that came with the action figures in the 80's and early 90's] in Microsoft Works ver 1.1 that are resistant to all the current conversion methods I've employed so far.

Print them and scan them, then do the OCR thing and put that into a new format.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  13:34:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'd like to consider that as an option, but I've yet to load the proper routines for using OCR into SageOS, so... It's on my "To-Do" list though.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  15:55:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Off the top of my head, the one range is known as 'The White Peaks' (it is on one canon map that I found). The other - that tiny range to the west of The Citadel of the Raven (IIRC) are actually three very large mountains surrounded by smaller hills, and there are canon names for all three - I believe I got that from either Ed's '04 or '06 responses.

I'm far from home right now (Kentucky), so I'm not near any sources, but I have the exact names for all three written down on my main North Map, and can provide them in about a week if you can't (or don't want to) find them in Ed's thread.

There is also that one lonely mountain, between the Anauroch and Great Glacier in the far north, that almost looks like an eyeball (on the map, not in RL) that has a very long name, which appears on several older maps, and IIRC, Ed (or THO) provided some tiny bit of lore about some Flinds living there. Can't recall the name of that one either, but that one is fairly easy to find in sources.

The ranges all around the Great Glacier are named in the source of that same name.

Edit: And I still have floppys, and I had a comp with a tape-drive long ago - a TSR80.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Jul 2010 15:57:42
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  00:16:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'd like to consider that as an option, but I've yet to load the proper routines for using OCR into SageOS, so... It's on my "To-Do" list though.

You could always find another computer... I'm sure there's more than one computer in Australia!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  01:21:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

You could always find another computer... I'm sure there's more than one computer in Australia!
Well, the problem with that approach, is that I'm still have the same issues when I brought the OCR'd material home. They won't work on a SageOS-built computer.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  05:06:37  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Off the top of my head, the one range is known as 'The White Peaks' (it is on one canon map that I found). The other - that tiny range to the west of The Citadel of the Raven (IIRC) are actually three very large mountains surrounded by smaller hills, and there are canon names for all three - I believe I got that from either Ed's '04 or '06 responses.

I'm far from home right now (Kentucky), so I'm not near any sources, but I have the exact names for all three written down on my main North Map, and can provide them in about a week if you can't (or don't want to) find them in Ed's thread.

There is also that one lonely mountain, between the Anauroch and Great Glacier in the far north, that almost looks like an eyeball (on the map, not in RL) that has a very long name, which appears on several older maps, and IIRC, Ed (or THO) provided some tiny bit of lore about some Flinds living there. Can't recall the name of that one either, but that one is fairly easy to find in sources.

The ranges all around the Great Glacier are named in the source of that same name.

Edit: And I still have floppys, and I had a comp with a tape-drive long ago - a TSR80.

I'm still having trouble finding the name of the mountains...will you post them when you have time?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  05:16:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well, the problem with that approach, is that I'm still have the same issues when I brought the OCR'd material home. They won't work on a SageOS-built computer.

You can't put the OCR'd stuff in a simple text file or SageDoc?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  06:26:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You can't put the OCR'd stuff in a simple text file or SageDoc?

Hmmm. SageDoc might work, especially if I use the older OCR software.

I'll give that a whirl.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2010 :  06:16:08  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I still can't find the names for the mountains...and I've been digging through a wide variety of threads...It is just hard to do a search function for the word "Mountains" and "Ride" I guess.

Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2010 :  21:44:02  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I should probably clarify what I mean by "tons"...it is more a vague reference here or there that then brings me into feeling I need to research more fully things such as the Barbarians of the Netherese era, the lands of Vaasa, Damara, the Great Glacier and so on...

There always seems to be a hint of something in one place or another that gets me plugged into a whole slew of other topics that I feel I have to slough off before I can move on...like I have to make sure I'm not missing anything.

DD, you just let me know what information you need from the emboldened areas above (perhaps a new thread though)

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2010 :  22:16:49  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have one question for you here Coach:

Is there any hint that the barbarians of The Ride carry on any trade with the lands of Vaasa...or at least its inhabitants if not its leadership?

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2010 :  16:28:34  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Be sure to check out Monument of the Ancients for additional lore on The Ride and its inhabitants. Two of the nomadic tribes are described therein: the Vaegould and the Varm.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames

Edited by - Brian R. James on 03 Aug 2010 16:30:16
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2010 :  16:45:21  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brian...ye have piqued my interest too many times. If for no other reason than your writing, I may sign onto DDI for at least a month for some reading!

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2010 :  01:55:29  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm putting out one final request for any and all information that you guys can give me...I've been writing all day; and I'm not sure what, if any, of my material is actually going to be used in the final draft of "The Ride" that I'm working on...

I still can't find the names of the dang mountains! Grrrr....

Any and all information, no matter how insignificant you may believe, is more than welcome!

I'm going in for a surgery tmr...and I'm going to be out of commission for a few days...which means I get to read and write a LOT...

So, I hope I get tons from you guys!

dalor_darden@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2010 :  05:12:48  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok...

BATTER UP!

I'm looking for someone to make me a map!

I need a CLEAN map with no locations, roads and etc...ONLY land forms and such.

ALSO...I need this bad boy to refer ONLY to first edition sources as far as what the lay of the land is like.

Anyone interested? PM for my offer.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2010 :  14:06:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Give me a bit - I'll post the mountains.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2010 :  20:31:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Info HERE.

Scroll down to THO's July 7th Reply.

Map HERE.

That is taken from an old version of my world map - the last I was working on before deciding to re-do the whole thing yet again. What are you looking for in a 'The Ride' map?

I can't remember which canon map the 'White Peaks' appeared on - its rather obscure IIRC - but I believe it is on the updated version of the FRIA (I only have the un-patched version, but I've been told it was added in the updates). I'm also only guessing at the location of Forharn, for the same reason (its not in the original release).

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Aug 2010 20:35:12
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2010 :  22:32:57  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't believe I missed that from THO...I read through that entire thread I thought...perhaps that is what I get for reading through the lenses of a man who has consumed too much Mountain Dew...I just didn't register it!

As for "The Ride" I'm looking for a 1st Edition style map that has no labels on it...BUT

I'm kinda stuck...I am hoping for one that shows the greater expanses of land...and yet I'll also need coastal borders to the north; but I know that no such map exists.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2010 :  23:24:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THIS is the 1e map of that region, and that is as far north as it goes, and there is NO 'coast' in the Ride, or anywhere north of it (in the Tortured lands). The nearest coast is the Moonsea.

WAY north, across massive ice-plains, there is a 'coast', but that is certainly no longer considered the Ride, or even Faerun-proper for that matter.

The Ride is pretty-much just empty plains of scrub-grass. We 'could' fudge things, as we did with Ixinos, if you let me know what you had in mind.

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Aug 2010 23:27:33
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2010 :  23:29:36  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

THIS is the 1e map of that region, and that is as far north as it goes, and there is NO 'coast' in the Ride, or anywhere north of it (in the Tortured lands). The nearest coast is the Moonsea.

WAY north, across a massive ice-plains, there is a 'coast', but that is certainly no longer considered the Ride, or even Faerun-proper for that matter.

Aye...that is the map I have from the first FR box set.

As for the coast...aye, it is far to the north...but at one time before Ulutiu (sp?) "went under" there was no Great Glacier. It was about -28,000 DR I'm talking here...

Ostoria once ruled it all...and wasn't pushed out of the area of the Ride until the 1,000 year war which resulted in them losing "The Ride" area as one of their holdings to the Dragons c. -25,000 DR.

I'm trying to find a rough feeling for what the land looked like BEFORE the glacier...and perhaps what sorts of realms could have existed there that are now buried beneath the Ice!

I know that the "Fallen Kingdom of Barze" is in the area; but that wouldn't have been the only kingdom there...

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2010 :  01:54:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Fallen Kingdom of Barze'

Sounds like something the dwarves would have built - the ones who prefer brewing to smithing.

Anyhow, there are a couple of ancient maps in the GHotR, but I don't know if it shows the glacier. You are right though - there was a sea there at one time - both The Great Glacier and Giantcraft say that Ulutiu 'sank' and the waters froze around him.

I'll see what I can come up with - obviously you are looking for a historic map, which is all the more 'fudgable'.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2010 :  03:05:50  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

'Fallen Kingdom of Barze'

Sounds like something the dwarves would have built - the ones who prefer brewing to smithing.

Anyhow, there are a couple of ancient maps in the GHotR, but I don't know if it shows the glacier. You are right though - there was a sea there at one time - both The Great Glacier and Giantcraft say that Ulutiu 'sank' and the waters froze around him.

I'll see what I can come up with - obviously you are looking for a historic map, which is all the more 'fudgable'.

I was just taking notes from Giantcraft and noted that Ulutiu sank beneath a sea...like you say...but is it the Endless Sea...or one that is now beneath the Great Glacier?

I've looked at all the reference maps in TGHotR...and I can't find a map that shows a sea where now is the Great Glacier...

The map on page 6 shows a glacier already to the north of where the Jotunbrud Tribes are.

The map on pages 44-45 shows the massive glacier covering Vaasa and Damara...but The Ride and the Tortured Lands are free of ice for some reason...

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2010 :  03:48:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've noted that many of FR's cartographers over the years, when doing historic maps, or even when doing the new 4e FR ones, FAIL to take into account any chages what-so-ever.

I am sure they are not privy to all the oodles of Realmslore we are, and are not giving much background for them, so they just follow the 'current' versions when they do theirs.

I'm not saying they are exactly like the modern FR maps, but the changes are not nearly as dramatic as they ought to be. I have found evidence that the Swordcoast itself has changed dramatically just in the last few centuries, and many lands and island chains were lost - none of which show up on any maps.

It is like the fact that the source material says the coastlines all changed in 4e, and yet the maps that accompany articles do NOT take that into account at all (and leave coastal cities still as coastal cities). Or the fact that the maps of ancient Imaskar fail to take into account any of the Desert of Desolation material. Some day I'll get around to doing an accurate Imaskari Empire map.

Anyhow, the Glacial shelf existed to the far north, and then Ulutiu (sp?) sank and a second glacier formed, and as it grew, it connected to the one to the north. Only problem is, the whole thing makes more sense if the Glacier above Anoroch was the one Ulutiu sank in, when you take into account the placement of Hartsvale. There is also the Reghed glacier above and to the east of ten Towns - both that one and the Anauroch one are anomalies, unless the Cold created by The Great Glacier altered the climate enough to bring the arctic circle lower. I can only assume that they were also both bodies of water that froze (which probably fits the canon of Netheril anyway).

Toril is odd in that it has open water ABOVE the ice cap (the only incorrect thing about Karen Fonstad's maps). Along with the necklace Ulutiu wore, I would go out on a limb and say the elevation all along northern Faerun is quite high, in order to explain the oddly placed glaciers. Someone once figured that Toril had a smaller axial tilt then earth, which makes no sense to me - the lack of ice at the poles indicates a greater axial tilt, IMHO. The temperature along the equator is also milder - another good indicator.

Unfortunately, most of FR's more extreme geography has to be chalked-up to the ever-popular 'its magic' explanation.

The other problem comes in when you read the Thar source and some others regarding the Moonsea region - humans were there apparently long before the current wave of them were, and seem to have been wiped-out at least once, and then the area re-settled yet again.

We would also need to know what the Moonsea looked like before it was formed, supposedly by yet-another 'tear-fall'. I would guess that it, too, was part of the northern glacier at one point, and that the meteor (or whatever) vaporized much of the water and caused that region to de-freeze earlier then the rest. The Anauroch Glacier is a bit of problem in that regard as well - if it is indeed the frozen remains of Netheril's Narrow Sea, then why did it freeze? Netheril fell long after Ulutiu's necklace stopped 'doing its thing', so why did it get so cold? Were there Netherease magics to make the region artificially warm, that failed after the fall? Not a good explanation, really, when you consider they settled around the sea BEFORE they had magic (but the sea was moved, so that could be fudged as well).

Hmmmm... The Netherease needed to divert the sea, but the north was too cold, so they built some sort of massive device/artifact that warmed the entire region for hundreds of miles around. They then diverted the sea, which worked out fine, until Karsus cast his spell, and the giant Faerun-warmer went on the fritz.

Didn't the Archwizards try to re-melt that sea? We also have the abnormal warming around Hotenow, and there is some indication of something similar happening in the east. Hmmmm... maybe the Netherese didn't create the warming devices... maybe it was something MUCH older...

Maybe the Pyramids of Ascore have something to do with that... I would think climate-changing magic would reguire something the size of a pyramid. Perhaps the Netherease merely learned how to turn them on and off... which could be what they were doing in the beginning when they returned to Toril.

I'm starting to weave more connections together for primordial Abeir-Toril, but I doubt most of these musing are of any help to you - sorry.

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Aug 2010 04:25:58
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2010 :  00:40:43  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

WAY north, across massive ice-plains, there is a 'coast', but that is certainly no longer considered the Ride, or even Faerun-proper for that matter.

The Ride is pretty-much just empty plains of scrub-grass. We 'could' fudge things, as we did with Ixinos, if you let me know what you had in mind.

Well, we won't really need to "fudge" anything...because we won't be really going against anything that has ever been printed! LOL

However, the new "Monument of the Ancients" adventure map shows Mounts Ombaddor, Launt and Horgrymborr as all being adjacent to Mount Tesh in the Dragonspines!

Not only that, but Camnod's Cairn is now listed as the mountains that we were previously talking about being in the middle of the Ride...

Whatcha think about that?

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2010 :  00:48:52  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I may be missing something obvious...but does "Varm" = "The Ride" or what? I'm horribly confused on this...

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2010 :  06:05:39  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And Dalor, I'll take a look through my reference notebooks this evening to see whether I can find anything worth sending your way.

Bump...nudge...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2010 :  07:04:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

And Dalor, I'll take a look through my reference notebooks this evening to see whether I can find anything worth sending your way.

Bump...nudge...

Whoops! Forgot about that Dalor. Sorry.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2010 :  07:21:22  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Bump...nudge...

Whoops! Forgot about that Dalor. Sorry.

Hehe...its truly no great hurry; but I knew that the "To Do" list is sort of like a psychic vampire on your memory; so...

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2010 :  16:57:09  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I may be missing something obvious...but does "Varm" = "The Ride" or what? I'm horribly confused on this...

Answered my own question now I believe: the Varm are a tribe.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2010 :  05:02:56  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markustay!

There WAS a different coast. I found it in the 2e book Giantcraft. The sea that Ulutiu sank into was called the Ice Sea...imagine that!

I'm guessing that it was in the area of Alpuk...and also there is most likely the remains of the fabled Titan Capital in the area as well.

This book is getting better and better...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000