Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 So who's at the inn?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2012 :  05:09:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, one of my on-again, off-again, for the hell of it projects is the inn owned by my minotaur PC and his friends.

I've been concentrating on populating the place: coming up with the staff and regular customers. I've got some of the staff, and at least a few of the regulars. But I'm wanting to do more of both.

So I thought I'd toss the doors open, and see what ideas other people had. I am looking to steal ideas, if I like them enough. This isn't something I am going to make money off of; at most, it'll get written up for the Compendium. Keep that in mind, please.

Also, I figure if we all share, other folks may find something they like here, too. So you may help me, you may help other scribes.

Lastly, I don't want stats. I'm looking, first and foremost, for NPC concepts. Names are good, but it's the concept I'm after. Obviously, I can't keep anyone from posting stats, but I'd really prefer to keep it to the most minimal stats possible -- something like "Bahb, human warrior".

Let's have fun with this, shall we?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 13 Sep 2012 05:37:07

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2012 :  05:10:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And to start the show, I'll toss out one of the regulars, someone I thought up on the way home from work this eve:

Carroc Tevery -- Older half-elf. Very dignified and polite. He's at the Inn 3 days out of 4. Usually sits near the back. He has a steady stream of street urchins going to his table. They each hand him a small piece of parchment. He reads it, swiftly replies, and dispatches them to return the missives. Whenever he is asked about this, he just smiles and says, "I correspond with many noteworthy individuals."

Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2012 :  05:43:40  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like filling my inns with satirical references and tropes.

Sven--Big strong warrior obsessed with his own greatness, constantly hauling in gruesome trophies and trying to use them to pay off old tabs. Puts up a fuss about leaving his arms behind the bar. In addition to being some comedic relief, he also serves as a cautionary tale for adventurers hanging out at respectable inns. His perpetual indebtedness can make him a cog in virtually any plot/caper/adventure.

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2012 :  06:24:06  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, here I go. The first one might be a bit too silly for some people's tastes but the second one is a bit more down to earth.

Seng Bhil'vali ir Kushgar (Maivve Siverti) - Seng rents a room at the inn on seemingly random nights, and always eats and drinks in private. He always wears bulky gray robes, a headscarf which covers part of his face, and curious ornaments. If anyone asks, he says in a soft and exotic voice that he is a rich merchant from far away Ra-Khati who had an accident and ended up stranded in Faerûn. In reality, Seng is an androgynous woman of mixed Turmian and moon-elven heritage (1/8 elf) named Maivve Siverti, (ex?) con-artist and devout worshipper of Leira (be her alive or dead). She knows very little about Ra-Khati, but complements what she knows with wild stories of her own making, including complex social customs and a fictional language. She lies whenever she can, and delights in it both as intelectual and spiritual fulfillment.

Marno Gallister - Marno is a young human teenager, the son of a carpenter who lost his workshop and disappeared on the streets. Marno was lucky to find work as a helping hand at the inn, where he mostly aids the cook with his/her work. He does the job passably, but he has much more talent making toys and simple contraptions out of wood. He spends all the time he can spare working on them at the back of the inn/in a shack/wherever and trying to sell them to patrons, perhaps to the chagrin of the inn's proprietors and senior staff. Ever since hearing about it, he dreams of being a clockmaker's apprentice, and constantly bothers educated people he knows by asking them to teach him to read.

Never sleep under the jackfruit tree.

Tales of Moonsea - A Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World. Check out our website at http://www.talesofmoonsea.com and our video trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am304WqOAAo&feature=youtu.be, as well as our thread here at Candlekeep: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

My campaign thread: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16447

Edited by - Mapolq on 13 Sep 2012 06:40:27
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2012 :  10:20:31  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got tons of ideas, let me know if you need some more aside the following ones:

Imanda Velpin - A human woman with blond long hair and green eyes in her late 30´s. She used to be a coinlass in the seedier part of town for the last twenty years but now with older age has made enough coin to have gained a sharehold of the Inn and is the "good soul" of it. Knowing the hardships of life she is the caring one for people coming to her with troubles, always ready to give advice and sometimes a coin or two. She is still pretty and might once in a while flirt with a customer, sometimes to disappear with him in a room or just to brighten up his day. Though she may claim to have no ties to her former occupation anymore, she does frequently in the early morning can be seen moving towards the backdoor of the inn, quietly conversing with a hooded figure who sometimes results in a small dispute and Imanda pushing the hooded person out of the inn´s backdoor with a huff.

Teribold Har - He is a unfriendly human fellow. A scar running along his right cheek gives off that the young man, although not much older than his early 20´s had had a pleasent run in with reality and it reflects in his attitude. Sarcastic and angry he pushes guests around and attempts to get physical with the waitresses who may cater food and beverages to guests. He appears to be of small statue and not overly strong yet that is a mistake many people already made as he is very skilled with a dagger that hits where it hurts the most and Teribold tends to keep sharpened. The mischievous gleaming in his brown eyes sometimes covered by his middle long black hair indicates that he is part of something more sinister.

Gwin Gnermolot- One unhappy gnome. Gwin tried to apprentice to a local wizard and impress him with his knowledge and skills in the school of Illusion, sadly for him, he did cast the illusion of a ghost that resembled the long lost love of the wizard. The ensuing rage of the spellcaster made Gwin run for his life and the curses flung at him made him belief that he is not bound for greatness with his illusionary tools. Now he gets regularily drunk at evenings in the inn, his sad dark eyes glancing around now and then before ending back at his drink and a heavy sigh escapes his throat, his dark brown hair falling into his face, adding to cover his deep shame. If the evening progresses he might become more and more drunk and accidently cast an illusion who scares the rest of the patrons and causes the staff to remove him with a kick out of the door.

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.

Edited by - Lord Bane on 13 Sep 2012 11:53:26
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2012 :  13:36:20  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think there had to be a morbidly obese Elf somewhere in Faerun...why not your tavern?

Laeren Thinwhistle...called Laer...few if any patrons know the last name.
Loves human food too....meat, meat and more meat.....hates plants....grumpy bugger.....patrons always askin' him about "the damned forest" and he hates it....lives in a snug little cave full of comforts, but spends dawn 'til the tavern close holding down his bench. Professes to hate all music....but a certain tune, played about thrice a month, if your very perceptive...starts his left foot tapping softly and a single tears rolling down his cheek. Has a little, trim dog Faen always sitting beside him, White with brown spot and ears,curly haired, smart as a whip(almost too smart?) a happy, very social dog everyone loves despite Laer.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 13 Sep 2012 13:40:03
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2012 :  14:32:30  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some more:

Peline and Merina Smallfeet aswell as Gromor Thumbsmasher - Peline and Merina are twins, halfling twins to be precise, both being young women and fresh out of the Lady´s House in Arabel, proudly displaying the holy symbol of Tymora around their necks which sometimes gets covered by their long brown hair. These priestesses have set out for high adventure and their blue eyes eagerly glance around, though they also have a flaw, gambling and they like to cheat, much to the dismay of Gromor Thumbsmasher, a half-orc who isn´t the brightest of his race. He is tall, strong and has black hair and black eye, including a helpless facial expression that more and more turns into a frown as the halflings cheat him for his last coin in a game of dice. He absently touches the great maul bound on his back and should he lose his last coin, his temper will overwhelm him, take the maul in hand to jump up from his place, smash the table and then attack the halflings.

Edited by - Lord Bane on 13 Sep 2012 14:33:01
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2012 :  15:54:24  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In every single one of my inns, there is always a man wearing a robe and hood that conceals part of his features. He sits up the back in a shadowy corner, occasionally sipping from a cup of something. Whenever any adventurer goes up to him to ask a question or because they think he's some sort of quest hook, he takes out a knife and scratches a notch into the table (and there are usually many such notches), then goes back to his drink. He offers no quest or similar task.

Just a fun little thing that I picked up from somebody, for use in my campaigns.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2012 :  16:16:56  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi WR

Not exactly what you are looking for, but a few odds and ends about the tavern and the village as a whole.

All from the The Dungeon Dozen blog: http://roll1d12.blogspot.co.uk/
(which is awesome and full of exceedingly great tables of nonsense just like those below!!)

Cheers

Damian

What's up with the Guy Behaving Mysteriously in the Tavern?
d12
1. Fugitive from justice unused to status and on the brink of losing cool
2. Victim of brain erasure trying to ascertain identity
3. Deviant of some stripe seeking same for dating, possible long-term relationship
4. Undercover operative from government agency monitoring freelance adventurers
5. Reeling from interpretation of recently decoded ancient stele detailing imminent apocalypse
6. Body controlled by sorcerer from remote location for nefarious purposes
7. Troubled by ramifications of recent involuntary enlightenment at the hands of a powerful shaman
8. Early stage brain virus infestation, next stop: full blown delirium
9. Holding incredibly valuable and powerful artifact and looking for a buyer
10. Waiting for contact from crime syndicate, awkwardly working code words into chit-chat
11. Clandestine visitor from another sphere trying to be nonchalant
12. Totally weirded out on black lotus

Also In Residence at the Inn
d12
1. Imperial courier w/message for gone-missing noble, now afraid to report back to dark masters
2. Petty noble and retainers taking a few days off from lengthy sojourn, reserved entire wing of the establishment, planning extensive revelry
3. Impressively outfitted knight and single squire patiently await sign from the gods before making next move
4. Foreign sage and indentured crew of grad students embarking upon expedition to excavate site of lost temple
5. Sculptor flush with cash from major commision seeking rare minerals to complete pièce de résistance
6. Cult priest travelling w/squad of deadly acolytes, mummified heart and brain of ancient prophet
7. Ancient wizard, having mainlined the last of his potions of longevity to no effect, lies in deathbed slowly snuffing it
8. Temporarily rich thief living large while laying low, sloppy w/drunken braggadocio
9. Silverware salesman who the proprietor suspects may secretly be an imperial inn inspector
10. Permanent resident: venerable retired explorer and cartographer, happy to discuss and show off (but never ever sell) the fruits of his labors
11. Gentleman awaits arrival of distant rival to settle long-delayed matter of honor
12. Idle aristocrats slumming it: participants in an evening of fancy-dress games

The Isolated Village has a Dark Secret
d12
1. Built upon ancient halfling burial ground
2. Barley fields must be soaked in sacrificial blood: every crime or misdemeanor carries death penalty
3. Dark lineage dating back to antediluvian civilization, secretly keep traditions alive, hatch schemes to depopulate region, stockpile poisons
4. Ubiquitous witchery: hexes and charms fly about willy nilly
5. Rampant perversity after nightfall, outsiders welcome
6. New generation of children preternaturally intelligent and fully in charge
7. Universally shared mutation: second mouth in chest concealed by tunic, mutter to each other in unknown language
8. Lycanthropy = STD
9. Celebrate monthly festival of murder
10. Militia drills by moonlight, seems to practice human wave tactics, visiting commanding officers of dubious aspect
11. Population descended from crashed starship crew, deranged captain kept artificially alive in forbidden hall
12. Whole village front for criminal enterprise: import/export contraband to subterranean enemies of humankind via entrance to underworld beneath grand mead hall

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2012 :  23:11:24  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WR,

WHERE and WHEN are the tavern in question?

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2012 :  23:29:40  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The two individuals that just entered are one Isaac Riverdeen, the blind, and his half ogar friend and traveling companion Bolderdash. Both have been bought and sold several times, and will stick by each other's side no matter waht. Isaac has been blind since birth, but an interesting run in with a devil, has resulted in the lose of Isaac's eyes as well, and the sockets remain empty at this time. He goes about with them covered as not to bother people. further information via request, or through RP.

We choose to live a lie, when we see with, & not through the eye.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2012 :  23:50:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kris the Grey

WR,

The inn/tavern I'm working is in Waterdeep, in the 1370s.

That said, this thread wasn't created purely for my own benefit. I fully expect that not everything posted here will grab me -- but it may grab someone else.

And on top of that, a lot of character concepts won't be tied to a location or era. Even those that are can still inspire someone else, or could be modified into something else nifty.

So feel free to toss out whatever you want.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2012 :  01:45:58  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got a couple you might enjoy, Wooly!

Beznik Bogglewart: A surly, bespectacled old gnome with a balding pate wearing a scarlet robe with gold flame-patterns embroidered into it, over which he wears a slightly singed leather apron covered with assorted pockets, pouches, and straps containing various small vials and other alchemic items. He can often be seen sipping at a cup of herbal tea while scribbling in a large book, muttering to himself all the while. If approached, he answers questions gruffly- he is something of a curmudgeon and a cantankerous old codger. Strangely, he seems to have an intense dislike for elves of any kind- though he never reveals why beyond their "flighty, snooty, pretentious ways". He is, unfortunately, very near-sighted and clumsy, and is a pyromaniac whose life's goal is to find "the ultimate source of all fire". He may be easily distracted by fire of any kind, and his clutziness has occasionally caused major mishaps, though he refuses to say more than a few off-hand comments like "blow up ONE shop, and yer' booted out of every town ye stay in...."

Note- use him with caution, as his severe clumsiness and the many alchemic items he carries can make for a dangerous combination in the event that a bar-brawl breaks out... And for personality, think Mr. Wilson from "Dennis the Menace".

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u

Edited by - Alystra Illianniis on 14 Sep 2012 01:57:04
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2012 :  14:52:39  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright, let us add some more!

Nimor Fellhound- a tiefling of abyssal blood, with sharp canine teeh sticking out like sabertooth tiger, hawkish nose and golden eyes. Additionally to his face, he got two small horns curling backwards around his head aswell as dark red hair. If that wasn´t enough he also sported a tail ever twitching back and forth and instead of feet he got hooves. Usually the creature is the victim of abuse, people chasing him away and children pelting him with rocks and other objects.
He would have died years ago if it had not been for a priest of Shar to bring him into the fold of the Mistress of the Night and taught the sorceror all about loss.
Now he conceals his features by a hood and a large cloak reaching all the way down to the floor, tending to sit in the darkest corners of inns and taverns and broods.
If he is forced to fight he will always cast a spell that causes darkness and attempts to flee the scene as to not have other patrons team up against him. Though he will get back at the ones who caused him that trouble.

Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2012 :  15:54:22  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These three gentleman always stop by the inn’s common room for Eveningfeast and to discuss history, both city and sword cost; current ongoing; politics, both city and sword cost; and magic. Not a one has the look of a mage, but if one listens to their conversations, they speak as though they have a considerable understanding on the subject, when the topic comes up (DM note, these three are one way to allow observant players to gain information, which may be useful later).

The first is Richard Shelton, also known as crookback, as his back is indeed crooked, with his right shoulder being noticeably higher than the left. He is of average height, with angular features, auburn hair with plenty of copper near the temples, and marry golden brown eyes. One will also discover that if they ever get into a fight with him that he is deceptively strong, with quick heavy hands. Richard runs a book shop on traveler’s road in the Trade Ward. He also supports several charitable institutions in the city, and has none to sponsor many a lad and lass for apprenticeship. There are always at least a dozen families in the several floors of tenements above his store. The second member of the trio, is a half elf, named Lellin Erralind, who stands an inch shy of seven feet, and has far more muscular bulk than what one would expect for a member of his mixed heritage. His golden blond locks are cut short and his sea-green eyes are always on the move; if this last is a consequence of his being a member of the city watch, or of something else, none knows. His skill in the marshal arts will soon be discovered by anyone that wishes to start trouble. The last and perhaps most unusual member of the group is Krshen, who if any happen to see inside the folds of the hood he wears, might be surprised to learn that he is a Kobold, who works both a member of the civil affairs, cleaning the sewers, and as an informant on smuggling activity.

We choose to live a lie, when we see with, & not through the eye.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2012 :  20:41:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any other suggestions?

Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2012 :  20:50:29  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fredwill Ghort - A man in his late 50´s and bald. His clothes are tattered and torn with a walking stick by his side to aid him walking.
One would automaticly guess that he is a beggar, but such is not the truth. While he disguises himself as a beggar who is limping, his brown eyes keep an everwigilant gaze on the patrons and if one would be foolish enough to treat him badly, people would quickly realize that he is one deadly foe without any handicap for he is an older member of the Monks of the Long Death and informs his order of the ongoings in the region.

Edited by - Lord Bane on 30 Sep 2012 20:51:07
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2012 :  18:19:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

WR,

I was just looking at a map of Waterdeep's wards, and I've got a rough idea where I want to put the Inn... I've been chatting about it with Ed, and he said what wards it would work best in. Hopefully I'll have time later tonight to examine the Waterdeep map I have on the wall of my computer room, and narrow down what building I want to use.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2012 :  22:55:51  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another fun one- Thordar Bloodmace- a member of the famous Gutbusters, is a young dwarf who struck out on his own to gain fame and honor after a mysterious mishap brought shame to his clan. He is deadly in a fight, being a berserker who wears spiked armor and helm, and who often rides his dire boar mount (named Spike) into battle, launching himself from the saddle at his foes and then shaking vigorously to pierce and rend with his armor spikes. A heavy drinker, he is boisterous, loud, and gruff, with a dislike for elves and orcs. He is not overly bright, but occassionally has flashes of near-genious inspiration in combat situations.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2012 :  02:17:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

WR,

I was just looking at a map of Waterdeep's wards, and I've got a rough idea where I want to put the Inn... I've been chatting about it with Ed, and he said what wards it would work best in. Hopefully I'll have time later tonight to examine the Waterdeep map I have on the wall of my computer room, and narrow down what building I want to use.

Which wards did Ed suggest?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2012 :  03:33:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

WR,

Which wards did Ed suggest?

He said it's perfect for the Trades or South Wards, not quite as perfect for the Castle Ward, and even less perfect for the North Ward. I'm eyeballing an area in the southeastern Trades Ward. It's going to depend on what catches my eye, and what isn't taken, in published Realmslore.

True story: I have a PC thief that I retired and made a Lord of Waterdeep; he's mentioned in a couple of my Lords articles. I picked out his domicile years ago, purely going by the distinctive shape of the building!

Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2012 :  14:21:08  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Any other suggestions?

I may have a late entry for you. The patron is still simmer in my head.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2012 :  17:02:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

quote:

Any other suggestions?

I may have a late entry for you. The patron is still simmer in my head.

Take your time. I'm in no hurry, and I'm still looking for ideas. Besides, though I was wanting ideas to steal, part of the intent of this thread was for anyone to mine it for goodies.

At least two of the people I've come up with thus far do not have any apparent classes, making them commoner NPCs. I'm cool with that -- there are only so many former adventurers you can find, even in Waterdeep.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2012 :  20:01:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about a Patrick Swayze-like 'cooler'?

A human Monk who tosses out anyone who looks like trouble.

*meh* Nevermind... looks like Lord Bane beat me to it ("I thought you'd be bigger")

How about an intelligent artifact? A sly, wise-cracking mug set on a shelf above the bar? Picture Don Rickles as a German Beer stein.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2012 :  20:46:49  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

*meh* Nevermind... looks like Lord Bane beat me to it ("I thought you'd be bigger")

*happydances for beating Markustay to it*

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2012 :  21:42:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

How about an intelligent artifact? A sly, wise-cracking mug set on a shelf above the bar? Picture Don Rickles as a German Beer stein.

I quite like the idea, but it won't work for this particular inn. I've already got the distinctive object picked out; it's kinda the centerpiece of the inn.

I was explaining to Sage, earlier, kind of what I'm looking for... If anyone has seen the TV show Gilmore Girls, I'm looking for people like some of the folks that live in Stars Hollow. Not Lorelai or Rory, but people like Luke, Kirk, Miss Patty, Taylor, and Babette. Quirky, friendly, and distinctive. I'm not looking for combatants, I'm looking for personalities.

That said, please keep contributing! We can all use NPCs, and any that I personally don't use now, I or someone else may use later.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2012 :  04:14:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A slightly overweight, good-natured gentleman who comes in every night, and the rest of the customers yell, "Torm!"

A Barmaid who is a perfect ten from the neck down (and dressed very provocatively), but with the head of an illithid? You know the type - you'd definitely need your 'mead googles' to go home with her.

How about a few manotaurs working at the bar? You know, the smaller, human-footed variant (like the ones from Krynn).

And you should use bahb - your remember him, don't you? Bahd the bard, ex-zulkir of bardic magic in Thay. Poor Bahb has fallen on hard times (and his hands are so shaky from drink he just can't seem to play anymore). I can't recall which thread he was from.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2012 :  05:06:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, yes, Bahb the bard, from the favorite zulkir thread!

quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Baab would be the little-known (outside of Thay) Zulkir of Bardic magic.
He also used to worship Bhaal.

Baab, the bard, of Bhaal.

His parents weren't married, and his skill wasn't all that. This makes him Bahb the bastard, the bad bard of Bhaal.

He also had a strange facination for Gnomish lore.

Baab the bastard, bad Bard of Bhaal, best known for his Ballad of Blingdengstone.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2012 :  05:16:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For a more serious reply...

quote:

A slightly overweight, good-natured gentleman who comes in every night, and the rest of the customers yell, "Torm!"

I like this idea... I won't use the "Torm!" part, but a couple of the NPCs I've come up with already could use some fleshing out, and Norm's personality may work...

quote:

A Barmaid who is a perfect ten from the neck down (and dressed very provocatively), but with the head of an illithid? You know the type - you'd definitely need your 'mead googles' to go home with her.

Most of the bar staff is already picked out. It's mostly a human staff. The main "hook" for the inn isn't the staff, they're there for fleshing it out.

And yes, some places, the staff is the hook -- like the Misty Beard or the Blushing Mermaid in Waterdeep, or the Moonstone Mask in Neverwinter, as described by Volo. I'm going for something slightly different, here.

quote:

How about a few manotaurs working at the bar? You know, the smaller, human-footed variant (like the ones from Krynn).

One of the owners is a minotaur, but he and his friends bought the place mostly to have their own hangout. They hired someone else to run it. This was one of the things I decided long ago, before I ever even thought of doing anything with the inn, beyond naming it.

quote:

And you should use bahb - your remember him, don't you? Bahd the bard, ex-zulkir of bardic magic in Thay. Poor Bahb has fallen on hard times (and his hands are so shaky from drink he just can't seem to play anymore). I can't recall which thread he was from.

The inn has an in-house bard, of sorts. She's part of the "hook" for the inn -- that one thing that is really different from other places.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2012 :  05:36:33  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Bahb doesn't play anymore. Few people remember the long-ago Zulkir of Bardic magic (now illegal in Thay). He just sits in his cups, a bitter and well-weathered soul, who most people only think of as a harmless old crank (because no-one believes any of his 'fanciful tales').

The hook is, he should have certain knowledge that no-one else might posses, but finding him is tricky, because he is hiding in plain sight. It could be some ancient 'Dirge of of the Mulan' that contains verses with hidden secrets. If PCs ever get him to sing this song (which everyone present will be amazed because he has the voice of an angel), he will die immediately after. Poor ol' Bahb will have fulfilled his destiny and gone on to Oghma's embrace.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2012 :  04:52:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still got a couple spots I want to fill... Any other ideas?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000