Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Foods made with blood in the realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2012 :  22:10:41  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm up to the point in "Elminster's Forgotten Realms" where he's discussing the various types of food in the realms, and it made me remember watching something on the food network about 4 years ago. They were discussing how they made actual blood pudding in scandinavia. Basically, when it comes time to cut up the sheep, they save the blood and fat and cook it together and store it in either a sheep's intestines or stomach. That led me looking and there's another kind of "blood pudding" in England that's more sausage like and less pudding like. Also, apparently the swedes make "blood pancakes".

That all got me to thinking.... what do the realms chefs do with blood? Besides the horselords mixing horseblood with their drinks, I can't think of any references. This also leads into "are there any special bloods that people might collect for use in food"? That then leads into "are there any monsters that make good eating"? This also leads into some discussions I'd had a while back but might also be fun to ponder... "are there any monsters that might be hunted for their pelts... such as a yuan-ti's skin which might make a great skirt or jacket or boots".

Anyway, I was intrigued by the idea and wanted to see if anything popped into people's minds. I'm not looking for the "you can use the organ of X to produce a magical blade or potion or elixir" type thing. I'm thinking the more mundane uses that people might put these creatures that attack them to. I mean, when you kill a spectral panther, or a naga, or a quaggoth.... that's a lot of meat that "could" be used to feed villagers.

The below is just something I found on the web when I started researching blood pudding, and I found it interesting because apparently its more of a taboo in our culture but much more common throughout the world than I though. That's what made me go "what do they do with it in the realms".
<<<<<<<<"Jennifer McLagan agrees that blood is a good source of food that is too often wasted in the UK and North America.
"Almost every culture" has a type of "blood pudding", (such as black pudding), because historically people didn't want to want to waste any edible parts of a slaughtered animal.
Some cultures do not eat blood because of religious reasons.
But Ms McLagan believes that for cultures where eating blood is accepted, "it's a really good source of protein that seems to be wasted in a world where we're always complaining there's not enough to eat".
In the UK today, iron deficiency among women is high, and increasingly common in young women in particular. So could eating more blood solve the problem?>>>>>

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2012 :  22:46:34  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Ever been to the Philippines? You should try our Dinuguan, which literally means "mixed with blood."

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2012 :  23:35:00  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...and i thought i was being morbid to list a bunch of plagues.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2012 :  23:48:19  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think monster parts are an often overlooked topic and can lead to some great loot for players. As an example, my group currently has a crate of umberhulk chitin and claws. If they get around to turning these over to their duergar smiths they may be able to make some armor and mining picks that give a bonus to mining and excavation rates. I'm also a fan of using monster parts as extra material components to giving spells a boost. Behir quills to increase damage on lightning bolts, beholder eyestalks to increase the difficulty in saving verse the associated spells like disintegration etc. Lots of fun stuff to be had by recycling. ;)

I mentioned a few sessions ago in our campaign about a trade delegation from Oryndall had arrived in town but only accepted mindgates as currency for their exotic wares. They weren't too keen on blinding some or all of their slaves to start trading in jellied eyeballs. I'll have to try some better bait to get them to check that hook out, but chopping monsters up for parts like you've gone deer hunting isn't everyone's cup of tea.

As for blood food type stuff, I seem to remember Bruenor cooking a verbeeg's brain in its own skull in a cooking test during the events of the Crystal Shard. I was under the impression blood gets boiled with other drippings and leavings in a pot to make a stew as general practice in the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2012 :  00:11:58  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That he did, but keep in mind, this is the same dwarf who hakced off a dog's leg and ate it. (blech...)

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2012 :  01:03:44  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
from Ed is 2005 as part of marinating question:

quote:
Blood from slaughtered animals is always saved to be cooked as "drippings" or used in making gravies (sometimes with a few drops of vinegar added to prevent congealing).

and another about elves also from 2005:

quote:
but can subsist largely on meat if they have to [enjoying it most when superbly seasoned and mixed with plant flavours through skilled cuisine], and when blood from the meat can be separately combined with other substances and imbibed.

Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2012 :  01:04:04  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have Swedish relatives and they do something like this. A jell-o type of pig blood I think. Never tasted it though... Doesn't drinking blood cause some health problems?
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2012 :  01:43:52  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only if it's infected by disease, AFAIK.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2012 :  10:10:22  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am sure the vampires have plenty of good recipes .Its getting them to share it that will be the problem.

Edited by - Thauranil on 04 Nov 2012 10:11:41
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2012 :  10:22:00  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

I am sure the vampires have plenty of good recipes .Its getting them to share it that will be the problem.

Actually, that kind of brings up another question I was thinking about and forgot to mention. Given that there ARE vampires in the realms.... could they subsist on these cooked blood treats? Might it be that there are some individuals out there who had their loved one turned, but they were enough of an adventurer themselves that they slew the slaying vampire. Now perhaps they seek to control their now undead loved ones by regularly buying up things like blood pudding, blood sausage, blood soup, and making blood pancakes in the morning.... and if such were readily available in the realms, might it be kind of easy?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2012 :  10:25:45  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Ever been to the Philippines? You should try our Dinuguan, which literally means "mixed with blood."

Never been, but a friend's wife is from there. Just wondering, in that culture, was it relatively easy to get ahold of the pig blood in addition to the meat?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2012 :  12:44:58  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

Actually, that kind of brings up another question I was thinking about and forgot to mention. Given that there ARE vampires in the realms.... could they subsist on these cooked blood treats? Might it be that there are some individuals out there who had their loved one turned, but they were enough of an adventurer themselves that they slew the slaying vampire. Now perhaps they seek to control their now undead loved ones by regularly buying up things like blood pudding, blood sausage, blood soup, and making blood pancakes in the morning.... and if such were readily available in the realms, might it be kind of easy?

I personally believe that your conjuncture is plausible. The Realms is not a highly advanced society and as such many people cannot be picky about what they eat and so will consume things considered distasteful in general. So I am sure that a resourceful adventurer could find an adequate supply of blood to ward off the dark thirst of their undead loved ones.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2012 :  14:39:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I personally believe that your conjuncture is plausible. The Realms is not a highly advanced society and as such many people cannot be picky about what they eat and so will consume things considered distasteful in general. So I am sure that a resourceful adventurer could find an adequate supply of blood to ward off the dark thirst of their undead loved ones.

I concur -- though I'd also expect that it wouldn't be nearly as satisfying as blood straight from the tap, as it were.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Larloch
Acolyte

Spain
24 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2012 :  14:58:19  Show Profile  Visit Larloch's Homepage Send Larloch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Spain there is fried blood and I find very likely that is something that is eated too in the Realms. Specially in countryside. Another opcions is many of the differents parts of the pig (ears, nose, etc.).
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2012 :  16:01:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Never been, but a friend's wife is from there. Just wondering, in that culture, was it relatively easy to get ahold of the pig blood in addition to the meat?
Very easy.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2012 :  16:22:50  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Larloch

Another opcions is many of the differents parts of the pig (ears, nose, etc.).
We have that, too. It's called sisig here.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2012 :  17:43:34  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

...and i thought i was being morbid to list a bunch of plagues.

I'm waiting for the "Who eats babies?" thread.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000