Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A cleric of Kelemvor in Cormyr ?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Corwin
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2004 :  15:41:11  Show Profile  Visit Corwin's Homepage Send Corwin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all

this is my first post and i don't know if it's appropriate here but I will give it a try.

I've beginning a new campaign in FR and I am playing a human cleric of Kelemvor hailing from Cormyr and I would like some input on the activities of the clergy of Kelemvor in Cormyr.

are they liked/disliked
are they visible in the communities
do they have any major temples in Cormyr, any sites of interest?
activities during the recent troubles in the country

any input suggestions welcome

thx in advance

Corwin
A citizen of the One True City

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2004 :  21:21:48  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clerics of Kelemvor aren't especially common in Cormyr. Off-hand, I can't think of any temples, or even shrines, to Kelemvor in the major towns and cities of Cormyr (though there is one in Eagle Peak).

I view things as there being relatively few, if any, clergy of Kelemvor in Cormyr. Since he serves a very narrow niche (death), which is also covered by other clergy when necessary (especially Chauntea, Helm and Tempus, all of whom are more popular in Cormyr), the priest of Kelemvor can't expect to have much of a role or influence in the Forest Kingdom. There might be a few scattered throughout the realm, tending to some of the larger burial fields, but other than that, I can't see all that much for them to do.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2004 :  17:09:04  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

Clerics of Kelemvor aren't especially common in Cormyr. Off-hand, I can't think of any temples, or even shrines, to Kelemvor in the major towns and cities of Cormyr (though there is one in Eagle Peak).

The Shrine in Eagle Peak is the only Kelemvor site I recall being mentioned as well in any official source.

However, one thing to note is given the recent history of Cormyr and the horrible losses within the nation, a DM could justify an increased Kelemvor presence.
Go to Top of Page

Zarro
Acolyte

Italy
12 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2012 :  08:44:15  Show Profile  Visit Zarro's Homepage Send Zarro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal
The Shrine in Eagle Peak is the only Kelemvor site I recall being mentioned as well in any official source.

However, one thing to note is given the recent history of Cormyr and the horrible losses within the nation, a DM could justify an increased Kelemvor presence.

Hello, in which official source did you find that information?
Thanks,
Zarro

Zarro™
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2012 :  19:24:16  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just because a deity is not known for having a large temple or shrine in a region does not mean there's not a sizeable presence of them there. The maps do not cover very square inch of land, city or even residence. There's hundreds of deities, the books are only going to cover the major faiths or a minor faith or cult if necessary.
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2012 :  03:05:28  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This may be more consistent with 3E, Razz, I won't pretend to know much about 4E, but...

It seems to me that certain clergies are more inclined to be stationary and institutional and some more mobile and venturesome. Surely there's not much of a need for a Tymoran temple for Tymoran priests to be around. They're sort of the prototypical adventuring-priest. Ditto for Torm and/or Tempus.

Kelemvor, on the other hand, would seem to require more of an institutional presence in order to be prolific. Seeing as they oversee death rites and burials, and burial sites are fairly stationary. Of course there are your crusading members of the clergy that are just out wandering looking for undead. Surely they could be found just about anywhere--caveat--anywhere that is likely to have undead, which Corymr would not necessarily fit.

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2012 :  10:58:04  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd suggest the OP pose his question to Ed in the Ask Ed thread. You'll never get more detailed information about Cormyr.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Crai
Acolyte

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2012 :  20:26:01  Show Profile Send Crai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the 3.5 sourcebook, Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave, there's an enemy undead emphasis in this super-adventure. I believe it is near Wheloon.

And where there's undead ... there's likely to be a magnetic response by Kelemvorite clergy.
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2012 :  17:32:26  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The thing about Kelemvor is that he is a Greater Power, meaning that he has literally hundreds of thousands of worshippers. It's fair to think that there would be a non-trivial number of them in Cormyr. We can postulate that they have shrines at any large burial field.

In my campaign, the Church of Kelemvor is tasked with sealing and protecting sites with a known undead presence, and derive a good income therefrom; especially since any site which they clear of infestation defaults to Church ownership in most cases. In Waterdeep, numerous Clergy (including Paladins and White Necromancers) work with the Watch in keeping the City of the Dead under wraps.

In Damara, they work tirelessly to put down the undead remaining from Zhengyi's use of the Rod of Orcus; the Primate of the church there, Grigor One-Eye, is known to be favored by the Judge of the Damned and is the closest thing the Church has to a head. He is the unquestioned leader of the church from The Bloodstone Lands, through Damara, and into Aglarond. He has ambitious plans to expand the church into Thay, but Szass Tam (predictably) opposes this and has systematically quashed any incursions into Thay. As such, Grigor is considering an alliance with the harpers to weaken Tam's grasp in the levers of power in Thay.
EDIT: all of the above is homebrew from my campaign, not Canon in any sense; I just wanted to offer possible (and I think, likely) background on the state of the church. In Canon, the seat of the church, such as it is, is based in Eriabor.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco

Edited by - Knight of the Gate on 03 Nov 2012 17:38:45
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000