Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A cleric of Kelemvor in Cormyr ?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Corwin Posted - 03 Jan 2004 : 15:41:11
Hi all

this is my first post and i don't know if it's appropriate here but I will give it a try.

I've beginning a new campaign in FR and I am playing a human cleric of Kelemvor hailing from Cormyr and I would like some input on the activities of the clergy of Kelemvor in Cormyr.

are they liked/disliked
are they visible in the communities
do they have any major temples in Cormyr, any sites of interest?
activities during the recent troubles in the country

any input suggestions welcome

thx in advance
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Knight of the Gate Posted - 03 Nov 2012 : 17:32:26
The thing about Kelemvor is that he is a Greater Power, meaning that he has literally hundreds of thousands of worshippers. It's fair to think that there would be a non-trivial number of them in Cormyr. We can postulate that they have shrines at any large burial field.

In my campaign, the Church of Kelemvor is tasked with sealing and protecting sites with a known undead presence, and derive a good income therefrom; especially since any site which they clear of infestation defaults to Church ownership in most cases. In Waterdeep, numerous Clergy (including Paladins and White Necromancers) work with the Watch in keeping the City of the Dead under wraps.

In Damara, they work tirelessly to put down the undead remaining from Zhengyi's use of the Rod of Orcus; the Primate of the church there, Grigor One-Eye, is known to be favored by the Judge of the Damned and is the closest thing the Church has to a head. He is the unquestioned leader of the church from The Bloodstone Lands, through Damara, and into Aglarond. He has ambitious plans to expand the church into Thay, but Szass Tam (predictably) opposes this and has systematically quashed any incursions into Thay. As such, Grigor is considering an alliance with the harpers to weaken Tam's grasp in the levers of power in Thay.
EDIT: all of the above is homebrew from my campaign, not Canon in any sense; I just wanted to offer possible (and I think, likely) background on the state of the church. In Canon, the seat of the church, such as it is, is based in Eriabor.
Crai Posted - 29 Oct 2012 : 20:26:01
In the 3.5 sourcebook, Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave, there's an enemy undead emphasis in this super-adventure. I believe it is near Wheloon.

And where there's undead ... there's likely to be a magnetic response by Kelemvorite clergy.
Chosen of Asmodeus Posted - 29 Oct 2012 : 10:58:04
I'd suggest the OP pose his question to Ed in the Ask Ed thread. You'll never get more detailed information about Cormyr.
WalkerNinja Posted - 29 Oct 2012 : 03:05:28
This may be more consistent with 3E, Razz, I won't pretend to know much about 4E, but...

It seems to me that certain clergies are more inclined to be stationary and institutional and some more mobile and venturesome. Surely there's not much of a need for a Tymoran temple for Tymoran priests to be around. They're sort of the prototypical adventuring-priest. Ditto for Torm and/or Tempus.

Kelemvor, on the other hand, would seem to require more of an institutional presence in order to be prolific. Seeing as they oversee death rites and burials, and burial sites are fairly stationary. Of course there are your crusading members of the clergy that are just out wandering looking for undead. Surely they could be found just about anywhere--caveat--anywhere that is likely to have undead, which Corymr would not necessarily fit.
Razz Posted - 28 Oct 2012 : 19:24:16
Just because a deity is not known for having a large temple or shrine in a region does not mean there's not a sizeable presence of them there. The maps do not cover very square inch of land, city or even residence. There's hundreds of deities, the books are only going to cover the major faiths or a minor faith or cult if necessary.
Zarro Posted - 28 Oct 2012 : 08:44:15
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal
The Shrine in Eagle Peak is the only Kelemvor site I recall being mentioned as well in any official source.

However, one thing to note is given the recent history of Cormyr and the horrible losses within the nation, a DM could justify an increased Kelemvor presence.

Hello, in which official source did you find that information?
Thanks,
Zarro
SiriusBlack Posted - 04 Jan 2004 : 17:09:04
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

Clerics of Kelemvor aren't especially common in Cormyr. Off-hand, I can't think of any temples, or even shrines, to Kelemvor in the major towns and cities of Cormyr (though there is one in Eagle Peak).

The Shrine in Eagle Peak is the only Kelemvor site I recall being mentioned as well in any official source.

However, one thing to note is given the recent history of Cormyr and the horrible losses within the nation, a DM could justify an increased Kelemvor presence.
Garen Thal Posted - 03 Jan 2004 : 21:21:48
Clerics of Kelemvor aren't especially common in Cormyr. Off-hand, I can't think of any temples, or even shrines, to Kelemvor in the major towns and cities of Cormyr (though there is one in Eagle Peak).

I view things as there being relatively few, if any, clergy of Kelemvor in Cormyr. Since he serves a very narrow niche (death), which is also covered by other clergy when necessary (especially Chauntea, Helm and Tempus, all of whom are more popular in Cormyr), the priest of Kelemvor can't expect to have much of a role or influence in the Forest Kingdom. There might be a few scattered throughout the realm, tending to some of the larger burial fields, but other than that, I can't see all that much for them to do.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000