Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Looking for all about Cormyr
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1719 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2007 :  09:17:05  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Question by Malcolm concerning the horse breeding and market situation after the Devil Dragon War and the answer by Garen Thal:

Q: 'If I've just arrived in the kingdom for the first time, aboard a boat from Turmish that docks in Suzail, and I want to buy a sturdy riding horse, am I going to have to pay a lot? I assume Suzail has a market and stables, and I know it's a land where horses are reared and trained, but do they ship most of them elsewhere (e.g. Sembia)? Are the prices "standard" as per core rules, or higher? Rising, in the wake of the devastation of the Devil Dragon wars, or falling?'

A: 'Nothing official on this just yet, but here's my take: It has been some four plus years since the Dragonfall, which is enough time for even yearlings and ponies from around that time to have bred more than once, making your average riding horse about as available as they were before. Heavy horse from Waymoot are still the best around Cormyr, but are less available than they were before; a great mass of the most valuable horseflesh in Cormyr was wiped out by Nalavara and her hordes, making the best breeding stock all the more prized. Your standard varieties of horse--the sorts that are found in the core books--are about as easy to find in places like Suzail as they were in 1370; it's the more expensive, more specific breeds that are tougher to get hold of.'

Edit note: A special war horse breed, the Cormyrean Destrier is discribed in 3rd Ed. Realms of Valor, p. 154.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 06 Feb 2008 11:39:40
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2007 :  21:14:05  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erg,

There's a new Realmslore article up over at the WotC website on a location in the Stonelands. You can find it here.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1719 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  08:47:47  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Halidan

Erg,

There's a new Realmslore article up over at the WotC website on a location in the Stonelands. You can find it here.

Thanks for the info Halidan. Another piece of Lore that is most certainly worth gathering...

'Ninety miles west of the ruins of Tilverton, in the heart of the desolate Stonelands, stands a nameless hill whose sere slopes are crowned by a long-ruined villa. Little remains aboveground, but beneath the hill lies a large cave carved out of the stone by a rushing torrent that now has vanished. This is the Cavern of Death...'

Read more of Rich Baker's latest article here.

BTW, where would I find more info about gem lore?!

Edited by - Ergdusch on 11 Dec 2007 17:08:12
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  10:58:01  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gem Lore = Gem Magic? Its the Feat in the Magic of Faerun??

Otheriwse IIRC there was plenty of lore about Gems and their uses in VGtaTM? which is avilable as a free download on the Wizards site.

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30290 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  11:08:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

Otheriwse IIRC there was plenty of lore about Gems and their uses in VGtaTM? which is avilable as a free download on the Wizards site.

Damian

Indeed. Volo's Guide to All Things Magical (formerly a suppressed work ) is one of many freebies available on the Wizards downloads page.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  12:46:18  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage  Click to see Chosen of Moradin's MSN Messenger address Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Damian

If I read correctly, yes. In my opinion, one wizard with the Gem Magic feat, more the knowledge of gems of the Volo´s Guide to All Things Magical would be an interesting character.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1719 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  17:07:35  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Damian

Thanks for refreshing my memory. Actually I scanned MoF before adding the question to that post but obviously I must have missed it! And Volo's Guide too - just great! Gem Magic seems to be a part of the magical spectrum that has not seen much attention as it seems, not from my part at least. The latest article might change that.

Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2007 :  05:28:22  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alas, nothing to contribute. Everything has been said by better scribes than I.

Thank you for compiling this list of Cormyrian Realmslore. I need look no further than this scroll for information regarding my upcoming campaign in the Forest Kingdom. And thanks to everyone else for contributing. It is truly a mighty list you've all assembled.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1719 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2007 :  08:03:52  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mazrim_Taim

Alas, nothing to contribute. Everything has been said by better scribes than I.

Thank you for compiling this list of Cormyrian Realmslore. I need look no further than this scroll for information regarding my upcoming campaign in the Forest Kingdom. And thanks to everyone else for contributing. It is truly a mighty list you've all assembled.

I thank you for your feedback, thanks and praise as it shows our work to be appreciated.

Leaves me to say: Enjoy your campaign and good gaming!

Ergdusch, the ever so humble servant of Candlekeep, speeking for all those that contributed to this project.

Edited by - Ergdusch on 19 Dec 2007 08:05:14
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1719 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2008 :  09:10:14  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello fellow scribes!
I am reading Crown of Fire at the moment and so far I have to say: a great book, entirely! And aside from the overall story it provides marvelous details about Cormyr. I will post some infos here (with a spoiler tag) to share the lore with all of you.

Thundarlun (p. 1 et seq):
Thundarlun is a little fenced village at the western end of Thunder Gap close to the south-east border of the Hullack Forest. It was attacked and somewhat destroyed by Zhents, searching for a girl that had spellfire.

Wanton Wyvern (p. 142 et seq):
According to the map in 'Crown of Fire' (which was before the 3rd Ed map change, of course) the Wanton Wyvern is located north of Hullack Forest, at the eastern banks of the River Immerflow and west of the Thunder Peaks at the Thunder Trail.
Several Buildings are settled around an open high-fenced yard. Left and right of the stout gate leading into the yard 2 lamps flicker at night to lead the way. At night the gate is closed and a sign hangs out with the words "Strike to enter" next to a shield gong. The guard stationed at the gate is called Thomd, a human male in his later years.

Noteworthy is the ragged, cripled and drunken figure that used to lurk around the gate of the Wyvern. It was Baergasra, a female human cleric of Eldath and Harper agent. However, her cover was spoiled during the meeting with Shandril and therefore she had to move on (and therefore will most likely not be seen around the Wyvern nowadays...).

Harpers in the Citadel of the Raven:
Belarla and Oelaerone, 2 pleasure-girls tobe found in a hose with purple door.
Also Myrintara, pleasure queen and sorceress specialized in cloaking magic (and former love of Mirt "...before he got fat!"). In one of her unused closets she hides a portal (p.326) leading to the spot very neer to Eveningstar, to be precise at the grassy bank of the river Starwater where the overland roads meet, by the bridge over the river across from the Lonesame Tankard Inn.

The Hidden House (p. 260 et seq.)
The Hidden House was buildt in times of Myth Drannor or earlier by a very powerful archmage,...some tales say by Azuth himself. Very few even know that it is more than just a tale but truely exists, in Eveningstar. It is part of the wardship of the Lord of Eveningstar. Those who don't know that - including most noble families of Cormyr - have always been puzzled by the high rank given to the post of Lord of Eveningstar.
It has many special features, amongst others a window with scrying properties, rooms that lead to different places each time the doors are opened anew, and it hides persons or things from many a detection spell.
A one way portal leads into the Hidden House. Note that sometimes doors within the House open into one place, and at other times (or when traversed in other directions) to other places. There are many ways into and out of the House, but they tend to "hide" or disappear for periods. In short, next time someone plunges through that portal, it might not take them to the same place it took Shandril, if they don't go through it at just the right time, or in just the right manner, or carrying the right "trigger token." Heh-heh, and so on.

Other important Characters with appearences:
Mirt the Moneylander, Lord of Eveningstar Tessaril Winter, Storm Silverhand, Elminster, The Knights of Myth Drannor, Fzoul Chambryl, Manshoon

Shandril Shessair's stats from the Heroes' Lorebook are available as zip-file download here.
Her and Narm's 3rd Ed Stats can be found in Candlekeeps Traverlers Notebook section (here )

To all of you interested in Cormyr - you should really read CROWN of FIRE yourself. I cannot imagine a better book for an insight on cormyr. However, I have not read the Cormyr Trilogy as of yet.

Ergdusch

Edited by - Ergdusch on 06 Feb 2008 11:57:48
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1719 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2008 :  12:34:39  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I added 2 more web links to the ever growing list of material sources of this thread:

A very detailed map of the entire Kingdom of Cormyr of which I could very well imagine and also would like to see a remake of by Markustay, I have to admit. Any chances this might come true in 2008?!?

And further, I was able to dig up an old link to the stats of the Steel Regent Alusair. Any chance someone still has the article which is linked on that page (which reads: Following the tumult in the wake of King Azoun's passing,....)?

Ergdusch

Edited by - Ergdusch on 06 Feb 2008 11:59:56
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2008 :  17:21:55  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

And further, I was able to dig up an old link to the stats of the Steel Regent Alusair.

The link didn't work for me.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2008 :  13:46:17  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Damian

Indeed. Volo's Guide to All Things Magical (formerly a suppressed work ) is one of many freebies available on the Wizards downloads page.

You know, it's funny that when I checked the webpage, I realized that Volo's Guide to the Dalelands is a freebie. I have visited that page *many* times and never spotted it -- until now. Coincidentally, I've recently ordered it from Amazon (I'm once again going to run a campaign there) and now I could have a free digital copy. Still, I prefer reading books to PDFs, and I'm not going to cancel my order -- it just seems weird that I spotted it *after* ordering it. Those Wizards of the Sword Coast surely have great and wondrous Enchantment spells at their disposal! (Let us beware the day when 4E comes out and all our 3E books will catch fire and burn to ashes!)

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30290 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  19:48:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

(Let us beware the day when 4E comes out and all our 3E books will catch fire and burn to ashes!)

That already happened to me.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1719 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  19:06:40  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I stumbled across another Cormyr source - also a marvelous adventure seed BTW:

Look at p. 174 in Faith and Pantheons. Detailed in those pages is a place of Worship called the 'Wyvernstones of Hullack'. It is a circle of granite standing stones in Hullack Forest. Once center of worship for a druidic circle of the Godess Eldath it now serves for much sinister deeds of a much darker cult....

Ergdusch

Edited by - Ergdusch on 14 Jan 2008 10:55:52
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1719 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2008 :  22:20:51  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the Naval Forces of Cormyr

From the 'Cormyr' entry from FOR3 - Pirates of the Fallen Stars (TSR9346), p. 34:

Cormyr
Suzail, the capital of Cormyr, lies on the northern coast of the Dragonsmere, just east of the Storm Horn mountains. Suzail boasts three harbors. The first is the Basin, a deep harbor (dredged to opensea depths) where ships can deposit their cargos close to the shops which surround the city’s Market. Twenty ships can load or unload here simultaneously, making this a busy harbor, while the nearby shipyards are the primary producers of the brigantines which have become the trademark vessel of the Cormyrean Freesails. The activity here supports Saszesk, a young human reputed to be a member of Immurk’s Band. Saszesk’s smuggling operation is not well known, as King Azoun has sought to make Suzail safe from the depredations of such “thieves’ guilds”.
The second (central) harbor is also a commercial harbor, although its wharves are accessed only via a series of royal warehouses. Customs inspections here can be painstaking, particularly if the local watch believes that smugglers are about, and little contraband (or piratical goods) makes it through. On the other hand, the Cormyrean Freesails pay their tribute to King Azoun at these warehouses. As many as thirty ships can be docked here, along with many smaller vessels.
The easternmost harbor contains the Royal Docks and the Harbor Tower. Cormyr’s Imperial Navy (see below) has its main home port here under the personal command of Admiral Hazen Kelafin, Royal Admiral of Cormyr. Admiral Kelafin’s marines are housed within the nearby Citadel of the Purple Dragon.
Cormyr’s low, rolling, misty coastline stretches east to the River Lurlar. Most of the coastline has extensive shallows, and few villages offer harbors large enough (and deep enough) for ocean-going vessels. Outside of Suzail only Marsember (with its archipelago of harbor-islands connected by bridges) offers any substantial harbor. Marsember’s harbor is the busiest in Cormyr, and while some smuggling goes on, the Harpers and the War Wizards actively root out and destroy any actively dishonest groups. The Harpers use Marsember as a safe port, and take care to keep it that way.
Pirates and Cormyrean law
King Azoun has sworn that Cormyr will not become a pirate haven (his beloved Cormyrean Freesails not withstanding). Those convicted of piracy here are treated harshly. A first offense costs the right hand, while a second conviction is punishable by death. Smuggling is only slightly less harshly viewed. Most smuggling is to avoid taxation (Cormyr charges a 5% duty on all imported goods) or to bring collections of weapons ashore. Cormyr’s laws preventing mercenaries from gathering have been extended to merchants (particularly those without Cormyrean charters) who bring weapons into the kingdom in any quantity, as such caches can quickly find their way to otherwise innocent-appearing warriors. Smugglers are fined triple the value of the contraband (along with confiscation of the goods); repeat offenders are punished as pirates.
Naval Forces and Shore Defenses
Cormyr’s Royal Navy (boasting thirty caravels and over 5,500 men) is responsible for patrolling the seacoast for smugglers, providing aid to ships in trouble in Cormyr’s waters, and to provide support to the army in time of war. Fourteen ships are posted to Suzail, another twelve to Marsember (specifically posted to Starwater Keep), and the remainder in smaller ports along the coast. Most recently, Admiral Kelafin’s fleet (assisted by Cormyrean Freesails) conveyed King Azoun’s army across the Dragon Reach to speed their journey to Thesk during the recent Horde War.
Supplementing Cormyr’s Royal Navy are the Cormyrean Freesails, privateers chartered by King Azoun to patrol Cormyr’s waters and hunt down and destroy pirates. Many of Cormyr’s trading vessels also carry charters as Freesails, and Suzail
and Marsember both have some shore defenses. Since the most recent pirate incursions, Marsember has established some harbor chains, but like much in Marsember these are in poor repair. Unfortunately, while Starwater Keep has several ballistae and catapults, the topography of the city makes these virtually useless for defense of the outer harbor islands. Suzail has an excellent set of harbor chains which can block the narrow channel to the Basin supported by a deployment of three ballistae), and the Citadel of the Purple Dragon has an excellent brace of four catapults trained on the Royal Harbor area.
Recent Pirate Activities
Cormyr has suffered little harassment from pirates, primarily because its own Cormyrean Freesails (along with the Royal Navy) defend the coasts and waters well. The most recent significant pirate raid was on the city of Marsember in 1344 DR. Although a few of the outermost harbor islands were looted by the pirates, they were unable to enter the city proper before an overwhelming force of Cormyrean ships (with magical support from the War Wizards in the city) drove the pirates away.

Additionally, a minor entry on the sourcebook Cormyr (TSR 9410), p. 58:

The Imperial Navy:
The Imperial Navys primary duty is to protect Cormyrean ships sailing through the Lake of Dragons to and from The Neck, the narrows that connects Cormyr with other parts of the world through this lake.
Trading in spices and other goods is quite productive for Cormyr and certainly well worth the investment in ship construction and sailing. To protect such shipping from pirates, Cormyr has stationed 12 warships in its busiest port, Marsember. At any one time, there are more warships docked in Suzail, but most of these ships are there to protect noble families or the king personally.
Patrolling along the coast of the lake is the most common mission for the Imperial Navy. Ayesunder Truesilver is the commander of these forces and is generally regarded as the head of the Cormyrean Navy. He has constantly lobbied the king for more ships and sea warriors so that he may patrol the lake more efficiently. Unfortunately, the king's military attentions have been with the Stonelands and the Goblin Marches.

Edited by - Ergdusch on 28 Feb 2008 08:59:21
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1719 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2008 :  09:29:30  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Question:
In the FR Campaign setting as well as in this link Steel Regent Alusair's stats are female human NG Ftr7/Rgr1/Pdk2. However, in the Dragon Article 'After the Dragon' (Dragon annual 2000) she was stated as a female human CG Ftr20. Why is that so and which one is correct?

Answer by game designer Tom Costa:
'The FR Campaign setting is accurate. The Dragon Annual article had several technical/game stat errors in it and IIRC, but more importantly, the FRCS actually reflects her depiction in the novels better. (Also note that in 2E she was listed as a rogue in the Curse of the Azure Bonds game module [not the novel], obviously in response to her rebellious period when she ran away from home.)'

Edited by - Ergdusch on 15 Jan 2008 09:33:40
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1719 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  14:49:28  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All on the Forest Kingdom in 4th Edition (1385 DR and later) is collected within this single post for the time being (as not to confuse matters overly much)!!!!

- the latest DDi Dragon Magazine Article: Backdrop: Cormyr including a detailed map of the Kingdom.

- Excerts taken from Brian R. James' Countdown of the Realms article Spellplague: The Wailing Years:

The Wailing Years
Scholars in later years would name the decade of chaos and upheaval that followed the assassiantion of Mystra the Wailing Years, or simply the Plague Years. Included below is a timeline of key events that occurred during the Wailing Years, which may be useful to a transitional campaign set in the kingdom of Cormyr or the Vilhon Reach. Following the timeline is a brief update of these two regions, including sample adventure hooks. [The Vilhon Reach parts have been snipped here, feel free to read all about it in the article linked above.]

Timeline
1385 DR (Year of Blue Fire)
The Spellplague: An unthinkable catastrophe ensues when Cyric, aided and abetted by Shar, murders Mystra in Dweomerheart. The plane itself disintegrates at once, destroying Savras and sending the gods Azuth and Velsharoon reeling into the endless Astral Sea. Without Mystra to govern the Weave, magic bursts its bonds all across Toril and the surrounding planes and runs wild. In Faerûn, this event is known as the Spellplague. Thousands of mages are driven insane or destroyed, and the very substance of the world becomes mutable beneath veils of azure fire that dance across the skies by night or by day.
[snip]
Cormyr is struck hard, but not so violently as many other nations. Roughly one third of all Wizards of War are slain, driven mad, or simply have gone missing in the year following Mystra's death.

1386 DR (Year of the Halfling's Lament)
[snip] The former expanse of the Sea of Fallen Stars is altered when wide portions of the landscape collapse into the Underdark. When the sea level reaches its new equilibrium, the average drop in water level measured nearly 50 feet. The waters of the Vilhon Reach were similarly drained, uncovering several drowned ruins from ancient Jhaamdath.

1387 DR (Year of the Emerald Ermine)
[snip] The Prismatic Mountains, a beautiful Abeiran mountain range seeming to be made entirely of dense multicolored glass, appears between the Desertmouth Mountains and the Thunderpeaks, closing off Shadow Gap and halting overland trade along the Northride between New Tilverton and Shadowdale.

1388 DR (Year of the Tanarukka)
Bullywugs tribes from the Farsea Marshes begin harrying Zhentarim forces operating throughout the Tunlands, diminishing Black Network activities in the region.
Some members of Cormyr's remaining War Wizards, having lost access to the Art, begin cross-training with the Purple Dragons in swordplay and martial defense. In years to come these swordmages will prove invaluable against neighboring aggression in the region.

1389 DR (Year of the Forgiven Foes)
A strangely angular black monolith is sometimes visible breaking above the waves along Cormyr's coast, never in the same place twice.

1390 DR (Year of the Walking Man)
Dowager Dragon Queen, Filfaeril Selazair Obarskyr, dies. Alusair attends the state funeral, argues briefly and privately with her nephew the king, and disappears altogether from Court. Rumors persist of her riding through the frontiers and borderlands, but no confirmed reports of her appearance exist following the burial of Filfaeril.

[snip]

1392 DR (Year of the Scroll)
The Dragon Coast city of Pros petitions the Crown to become a vassal-state of Cormyr in order to protect it from the ravages of the Spellplague. Azoun V reluctantly accepts. By year's end, Pros' sister-town of Ilipur joins the Forest Kingdom as well. Unfortunately the receding waters of the Sea of Fallen Stars have spelled ruin for these small trading towns.

1393 DR (Year of the Ring)
Sembian investors begin buying up land in the southern Dales. Concerned, Azoun V issues a formal objection to the Dale's Council in Archendale but the King's emissary is rebuffed.

[snip]

1394 DR (Year of Deaths Unmourned)
[snip] Years of straining with their conflicted Sembian and Cormyrean identities, and struggling against the rule of Netheril, culminates in the annexation of the border city of Daerlun into the Forest Kingdom.

1395 DR (Year of Silent Death)
Sakkors, the Netherese floating enclave not seen since the days before the Spellplague, makes a reappearance over Daerlun in the dead of night. The following morning civil unrest breaks out throughout the city. Azoun V sends elite swordmages to restore order in the city.

[great snippi-de-snip]

Cormyr
Unlike the lands of the Vilhon Reach, the nation of Cormyr suffered little geological upheaval during the Spellplague Years. Instead the upheaval in the Forest Kingdom was largely political. Famine, economic hardship, and unrest among the peerage would be difficult for any ruling monarch, yet these challenges perhaps weighed more heavily upon the shoulders of young King Azoun V. Claiming the Dragon Throne in the Year of Three Streams Blooded (1384 DR), Azoun had merely thirteen winters behind him at his coronation and only sixteen months on the throne before the Spellplague sent the world spinning into chaos. Thankfully, the king surrounded himself with men and women of wise counsel, including the Caladnei, Mage Royal of Cormyr. Under his rule, the Forest Kingdom quickly recovered from the anarchy of the Wailing Years, and the young king went on to become a just, wise, and long-lived ruler.

The Helmlands
Formed during the Time of Troubles, this desolate land of howling winds and jagged rock was the site of Mystra's destruction at the hands of Helm in the Year of Shadows (1358 DR). In the months following its creation, locals named the site the Pits of Mystra, for the land was nothing but bubbling tar pits as far as the eye could see. Priests dedicated to the new Goddess of Magic cleansed the land of the fetid pits in later years, but the tear in the fabric of the Weave remained. Today a forest of towering redwoods has returned; the original was lost when Mystra's dying energy blasted the land like a million Shou cannons. In the wake of the Spellplague, the Helmlands have grown, spreading along the northern wall of the Stormhorns, stretching as far west as the foothills above Eveningstar. Wild magic still pervades the entire region, but unlike the Changing Lands, visitors may enter the Helmslands without fear of becoming spellscarred.
• TEMPLE ACHERON: Once the blasted ruin of Castle Kilgrave, the imposing stronghold was rebuilt by priests of Bane following his apparent resurrection in the Year of Wild Magic (1372 DR). As the Lord of Strife himself had done during the Time of Troubles, the strifelords reshaped the ruins into an echo of Bane's Temple of the Suffering in the Barrens of Doom and Despair. Thirty-foot-high walls constructed of a seamless other-worldly material of black laced with green connect the windowless towers on four corners, and on the west side a towering 60-foot obelisk encloses a drawbridge set against the wall. Purple Dragon Knights stationed at Castle Crag patrol the eastern perimeter of the Helmslands daily, keeping a vigilant eye for any threats coming from Temple Acheron.

Farsea Swamp
This slowly growing swamp consists of two formerly separate marshes, Farsea and Tun. The swamp has mile after mile of muddy terrain swept with golden-green tall grasses broken by channels of bronze water. Most citizens of Cormyr see the wetlands as dark, forbidding places, where evil festers and foul creatures lurk in murky water to devour the unwary. While this image is largely true of the deadly Vast Swamp in eastern Cormyr, it is an incomplete and misleading portrayal of the Farsea Swamp.
• LEGACY OF THE BATRACHI: Amid the vast, fog-laced expanse of the Farsea Swamp rests the scattered ruins of a vanished civilization, not Netherese as many have speculated. Thick with poisonous insects and plague, few enough have glimpsed these ruins. Ornate buildings made of glass as strong as steel hint at a magical technology lost to the present day. Rumors have it that the bold can claim gold and strange secrets from the half-drowned basements, if they can but survive the swamp's pestilence and withstand the might of strange creatures set as guardians within the interior of the glassteel towers.

Hullack Forest
Dark and foreboding best describes the thick dense woods of the Hullack Forest. The Hullack is almost a primeval forest, with dark valleys and hidden vales that have gone unseen for decades. Ghostly creatures and odd monsters pepper the local folklore, and orcs and goblins are frequent visitors from the Thunder Peaks. In the years immediately preceding the Spellplague, large numbers of adventurers entered the forest seeking to clear it of monsters and explore its deeper regions. Thunderstone, a small town on the southern edge of Hullack Forest, was often used as a base of operations for such expeditions. These crown-sanctioned activities came to an abrupt end in the Year of the Wrathful Eye (1391 DR) when the Eldreth Veluuthra, a militant group of human-despising elves, claimed the forest as their own. A brief conflict with the elves ensued in the Year of Deaths Unmourned (1394 DR), but young King Azoun V later turned his full attention to more pressing threats from neighboring Netheril and Sembia.
• REALM OF WAILING FOG: Sandwiched between the Hullack Forest and the Thunder Peaks, the Realm of Wailing Fog remains a land of desolate fens, ever-present mist, and eerie echoing calls. Even the Eldreth Veluuthra dare not explore the realm's long-ruined towers. Travelers to the region speak of a heavy feeling of "watchfulness" hanging over everything. Rumors persist that a coven of hags lives in the area, but these claims have never been substantiated.

- Taken from Rich Baker's Countdown of the Realms article Year of the Ageless One:

1479 DR (Year of the Ageless One)

Imperial Cormyr: Cormyr is a strong, stable kingdom that has benefited from back-to-back reigns by very capable monarchs. Azoun V, born in the troubling times at the end of his grandfather’s reign, went on to become a just, wise, and long-lived ruler. Under his rule Cormyr quickly recovered from the chaos of the Plague Years. Azoun V successfully resisted Netheril’s efforts to bring Cormyr under its domionion, and he fought Netherese-sponsored Sembia to a stalemate in a war 40 years ago, preserving Cormyr from Sembia’s fate. Late in his reign, Azoun V enacted a new code of laws that restrained the power of Cormyr’s restless nobility and established rights for commoners oppressed by nobles. His son Foril is now king of Cormyr.

Foril has ruled for 30 years now, and while he is not the legendary warrior his great-grandfather was or the brilliant law-giver his father was, he is a shrewd statesman and administrator. Foril continued his father’s reforms, and authored the alliance of powers that keeps Netheril at bay. Standing between Sembia and Netheril, Cormyr’s best security lies in firm alliance with Myth Drannor and the Dalelands. Cormyr is wealthier and more powerful than it’s been in centuries, largely due to the foresight and determination of the Obarskyrs.

Cormyr now controls Daerlun and Urmlaspyr, two formerly Sembian cities that managed to break away from that realm before the Netherese yoke settled completely over them. During the chaos of the Spellplague and the years that followed, the small cities on the southern shore of the Dragonmere turned to Cormyr for protection. Only ten years ago, the thief-ruled city of Proskur proved so obnoxious to the Forest Kingdom’s growing trade and prosperity that King Foril brought it under Cormyr’s authority as well. Not all of these territories are content under Cormyrean rule.

Adventurers in the service of the Crown find plenty of excitement in the Stonelands, the Tunlands, and the Stormhorns, where various monsters and savage tribes (some secretly sponsored by Netheril) cause no small amount of trouble.

Edited by - Ergdusch on 18 Jul 2008 12:47:29
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1719 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2008 :  09:00:55  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the Hidden House and its entrance found in Tessarils Tower:

Ed had to say the following about the Hidden house:
'The Hidden House was buildt in times of Myth Drannor or earlier by a very powerful archmage,...some tales say by Azuth himself. Very few even know that it is more than just a tale but truely exists, in Eveningstar. It is part of the wardship of the Lord of Eveningstar. Those who don't know that - including most noble families of Cormyr - have always been puzzled by the high rank given to the post of Lord of Eveningstar.
It has many special features, amongst others a window with scrying properties, rooms that lead to different places each time the doors are opened anew, and it hides persons or things from many a detection spell.
A one way portal leads into the Hidden House. Note that sometimes doors within the House open into one place, and at other times (or when traversed in other directions) to other places. There are many ways into and out of the House, but they tend to "hide" or disappear for periods. In short, next time someone plunges through that portal, it might not take them to the same place it took Shandril, if they don't go through it at just the right time, or in just the right manner, or carrying the right "trigger token." Heh-heh, and so on.'

That was not enouhg info for me. I explored this matter further and from reading and comparing the text with the map of Tessaril's Tower (to be found in Haunted Halls of Eveningstar) I'd placed the portal that leads to the Hidden House in Room 22 (Lofty Landing). But of course this might be totally off the mark.

Upon my question Ed provided more info:
'Your reading has led you to identify the right "room," all right. :}
The door is concealed and trapped thus: if Tessaril doesn't make the right gesture (dig-stroking her left palm with one of the fingers of that same hand) whilst treading on the correct step on the stair or spot on the floor when approaching that landing, the door can't be found at all. Spellcasters seeking to force or destroy it (when it's in this hidden state) by tracing its magic will discover that it reflects their spells right back at them (this is a Weave "slapback" effect, not a ward spell that can be easily undone or dispelled).
If the door is properly approached, it's still invisible unless or until Tessaril (or certain other persons who know how, or who can "see" the Weave with the right keeness, such as all Chosen of Mystra) touches its area and wills it to appear. It can be opened and used while invisible, though its presence will be readily revealed as observers "see beyond" it to areas it is accessing.
Note I said areas, plural. This is a weightless magical door, and can be opened either on its right side, or its left side, by pulling or pushing (as it if had hinges on either side); it has handles. Depending on how it is opened, one can reach any of four destinations.
One is: the Hidden House (works in both directions).
Another is: the back of a deep walk-in closet in a certain other structure in Eveningstar (outbound only, and I'll leave that building secret so you as a DM can have it be anywhere you want it to be).
A third is: outbound only, to a particular small glade in the King's Forest, JUST west of The Way of the Dragon, about a bowshot south of Waymoot (there's a game-trail from the glade to the road, but the glade is almost always deserted, because it's very small and surrounded by boggy ground that's usually home to lots of stinging insects except in winter; literally only the game-trail itself is solid ground).
A fourth is: outbound only, to somewhere on a rooftop of an old multi-storey, rental-apartments building in western Suzail (now a rather seedy district). Again, just which one I'll leave to you.
The War Wizards know of the three non-Hidden-House destinations, but only a few senior ones know of that last destination (everyone else is told the fourth way through the door is a deadly trap). The Hidden House itself has always been little-known local lore in Eveningstar, that spreads from time to time across Cormyr in the form of various wild rumors (the War Wizards spread the wildest of these so as to make Cormyreans think all talk of the House was wild fancy; they have succeeded in making your average Cormyrean distrust every detail of what's said about the House, but also in believing one of many dark conspiracy theories, and being darned sure there's SOMETHING behind all of them.'

Edited by - Ergdusch on 30 Jan 2008 09:08:42
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2008 :  11:09:38  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Posted by Krash on the gleemax forum in response to who 'owned' the Thuderpeaks before Cormyr? - at the bottom is an addedum from Markustay63 citing info from GHotR

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=986999

Nice bit of Realms Lore carefully deduced.

Damian

The answer to that question is likely "it depends".

The sources state that Cormyr is the first human kingdom north of the Lake of Dragons, with Marsember being the first permanent settlement in those parts being founded in -74 DR, a century before Cormyr is founded as a kingdom proper.

The scant information we have on Orva is found in the adventure "Four From Cormyr" (p.75). This information does not tell us whether Orva was a human kingdom or something else. For continuity's sake and given what we know of the far greater extent of forests in and around the present day Inner Sea lands, it is likely that Orva was an elven satellite kingdom, similar to the realm of Iliphar Nelnueve which was founded in -205 DR. The fact that the elven deity Labelas was worshipped there is likely proof enough of this but by far the best material to suport this contention is the "The Cormyrean Marshes" booklet (p.32) from the "Elminster's Ecologies" boxed set. This talks extensively about ancient elven-looking ruins in the Vast Swamp.

The reference in "Four From Cormyr" talks about Orva having existed "two millenia ago" (i.e. c. -630 to -650 DR or so). This predates Iliphar's kingdom by several centuries. I note that the Vast Swamp borders the Hullack Forest. Within the Hullack Forest is Elfhold which is detailed in "Faiths & Pantheons". The Elfhold is linked with Iliphar and his house, Amaratharr.

My thoughts are that Orva existed from around the -600s DR for a couple of centuries. House Amaratharr was a part of that realm until the king (likely a "laranlor" in elvish which means a monarch of a realm not powerful enough to consider labelling himself a "coronal") exhibited the tyrannical traits and 'delusions of empire' that led to the realm's demise. They likely fled back to Cormanthyr and told the coronal at the time, Tannivh Irithyl, what was going on. Before the elves could react, Orva became a hell-blasted ruin. The High Mages sent to bring this vassal realm to heel undertook the clean up work to seal the gate/portal between the region and the Nine Hells and to do what they could to ward the sourrounding lands from the evils that were created in the cataclysm.

As a reward for their loyalty, House Amaratharr and Iliphar were eventually granted the woodlands of Lythtlorn (the elven name for the Wolf Woods or what is now Cormyr - see Dragon#276, p.79).

Which brings us back to the Thunder Peaks. Before Cormyr, the whole region would have nominally been claimed by the elves of Cormanthyr and their satellite vassal kingdoms such as Orva and Arnothoi (see FRCS [2E]: A Grand Tour of the Realms, p.58 and a recent reference in Paul Kemp's short story in 'Realms of War'). In truth however the Thunder Peaks has always been dragon country. It's a running joke among a few of us FR fans and scholars that there are more dragons per square mile in the Thunder Peaks than anywhere else in the Realms.

By far the most formidable is the dracolich Aurgloaroasa "the Sibilant Shade" (see "Dragons of Faerûn" and the older 2E "Cult of the Dragon" sourcebooks) but there have been a host of others, mostly red. A possible reason they all clustered in the Thunder Peaks is that they were driven off or feared the mighty dragon Thauglor, suzerain of the lands of Cormyr and beyond until his defeat by Iliphar in -205 DR.

So in conclusion, the answer is Cormanthyr or one of its satellite, vassal elven realms depending on what historical period you refer to, but it would definitely be a situation of "claiming" rather than actually having a presence there and "ruling".

-- George Krashos

According to Tom Costa's sidebar on pg. 9 of the GHotR, Urd refugees from Darastrixhurt hi's built the first Kingdom in the Thunder Peaks. That would have occurred soon after the first Rage of Dragons, circa -25,000 DR. Not sure if that helps, as I'm don't know how far back you intend to go with the article.

Markustay63

Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO

Edited by - crazedventurers on 12 Aug 2008 23:28:43
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2008 :  11:24:58  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
[spoiler]The Wanton Wyvern is located north of Hullack Forest, east of the River Thunder and south-east of the Thunder Peaks.

How can the Wanton Wyvern be North of the Hullack and yet East of the Thunderflow? the Thunderflow is the southern edge of the Hullack miles away from the northern edge of the Hullack. And Southeast of the Thunderpeaks is in Archendale/Deepingdale/Sembia?

Am assuming this should be South of the Hullack, east of the Thunderflow and South West of the Thunderpeaks.

Or North the Hullack, east of the Immerflow and West of the Thunderpeaks (or south-east of the Storm Horns, which makes even less sense in terms of locality but correct in SE description)

Just wondering

Damian

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1719 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2008 :  11:34:55  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
[spoiler]The Wanton Wyvern is located north of Hullack Forest, east of the River Thunder and south-east of the Thunder Peaks.

How can the Wanton Wyvern be North of the Hullack and yet East of the Thunderflow? the Thunderflow is the southern edge of the Hullack miles away from the northern edge of the Hullack. And Southeast of the Thunderpeaks is in Archendale/Deepingdale/Sembia?

Am assuming this should be South of the Hullack, east of the Thunderflow and South West of the Thunderpeaks.

Or North the Hullack, east of the Immerflow and West of the Thunderpeaks (or south-east of the Storm Horns, which makes even less sense in terms of locality but correct in SE description)

Just wondering

Damian

My bad, indeed!

According to the map in Crown of Fire (which was before the 3rd Ed map change, of course) the Wanton Wyvern is located north of Hullack Forest, at the eastern banks of the River Immerflow and west of the Thunder Peaks, at the 'Thunder Trail'. You'll find it placed correctly on this Map of Cormyr.

Edited by - Ergdusch on 06 Feb 2008 11:53:01
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2008 :  18:22:01  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on Purple Dragon Officers; Their military dress, social occasions, romantic liaisons and tailoring

Ed replies:

After several regrettable incidents in the past century involving mischief spells cast on uniforms and even impostors, the Royal Court (in practice, an office in the Royal Court building known as “the Royal Robes” run by the Master of Vestments) issues “Crown badges” (what a real-world British person would call a “Royal Warrant”) to approved royal tailors. There are some twenty-six “badged” “robers" (which really means six busy firms that make uniforms, and fourteen individual tailors, often semi-retired but very skilled elderly men and women). They know exactly how to make all uniforms (approved cloth and dyes, the “proper” methods of altering a uniform garment, what they are allowed to do and not to do, and so on). Both Arabel and Marsember have a firm and two tailors, there’s a tailor in Waymoot and another in Immersea, and everyone else is in Suzail.
Aside from the badged robers, every large military base (that is, High Horn and the bases in the three cities) have tailors who store, clean, alter, and repair uniforms [and keep a stock of “emergency” uniforms in various sizes], and the Royal Palace (please note that the Palace is a building separate from, and to the north of, the Royal Court) has its own staff tailors, who work with the staff herald, and maintain uniforms for the royal family and courtiers (including, stored in a vault, the uniforms of past royalty). Anyone joining the service and attaining a higher rank within it is given one fitted-to-them uniform by the Crown, free. Maintaining it, replacing it if damaged, or augmenting it with duplicates so cleaning and repairs can be delayed is the financial responsibility of the wearer. (Note: it is the established custom in Azoun IV’s reign and the Steel Regency for Obarskyrs to personally pay for uniform replacements, repairs, and alterations for loyal warriors who suffered fashion damage in battle, or while defending the realm in any way. This has included artificial limbs, canes, and crutches.)
It should be noted that robers aren’t responsible for determining if clients are allowed to wear any uniforms they order made, though they customarily report to the nearest War Wizard or passing courtier anything suspicious (such as uniforms made without anyone ever appearing for a fitting, or large numbers of uniforms made for private clients). Robers will check with heralds to make sure “household uniforms” (livery worn by the servants and bodyguards of nobles) are of approved design; nobles are limited by the heralds in what colors and tailoring they can inflict on their people (just as the Crown restricts them from assembling private armies).
Someone entering the Palace or a Court function will of necessity pass scrutiny by War Wizards, Highknights, and some senior Purple Dragons (whose onlooking may not be open or obvious); if they become suspicious, the person will be gently drawn aside and examined to make sure he or she is wearing a uniform they are entitled to (including rank insignia, decorations, weapons, heraldic badges and honours, etc.).
In Suzail, the tailors rarely advertise, because they are all overworked anyway. However, the two most prominent firms (who both have shops on the south side of the Promenade, facing the sprawling Royal Court, with large display windows crammed with displayed finished uniforms on mannequins, and keep substantial “rack ready” stores of uniforms in most popular sizes) are Harleer’s and Baerennim’s. Hrasto Harleer is a small, long-nosed, sarcastic little man whose tongue is sharp to everyone and who hates dirty and torn uniforms and those who let them become that way; his shop is east of Baerennim’s. Rusklan Baerennim is a jovial, burly retired Purple Dragon who employs long-limbed, beautiful “highcoin lasses” as fitters and shop help because HE likes them (and wants them to make customers feel very, very wanted, too). His aging sisters do most of the tailoring, and are apt to be slower than Harleer’s no-nonsense staff of skilled but frumpy middle-aged tailors. Baerennim likes to tell war stories and hear them, and wants you to feel like a friend; Harleer wants you in and out and to feel inferior to his skill and the standards of his busy, busy establishment.

Purple Dragons have armor, “warcoats” (which we real-world folk would call both “battledress” and “everyday fatigues” depending on where we saw it worn), and “fancycoats” (full-dress uniform). In general, fancycoats is just a clean version of warcoats, with shiny black boots and a colorful sash (denoting unit and service, and displaying decorations) plus a half-cloak (for evening or outdoor wear). Half-cloaks, by the way, are of shimreen or silk or similar “shiny” fabric, and are raked from a baldric-like base band of fabric, so that their scalloped, draped trailing edge forms a diagonal down the back of the wearer, from shoulder to hip (so as not to get in the way of a sword scabbarded at the hip).
At Court functions and “official” revels, uniform wear is expected (though officers hosting an event, or who have ANOTHER job or task, may instead choose to dress for that other “hat”). At private revels, merely a sash or cloak-pin with the Purple Dragon of Cormyr badge is expected (not required). Dress swords are worn at Court functions and official revels, but not at private revels except by permission of the Crown (the rule is intended to be this: if any Obarskyr is attending an event “unofficially,” just to have fun, you should not wear a sword into their presence [daggers and belt knives are usually okay for everyone] unless you are their bodyguard, BUT you can seek, and they can give you, permission to come armed, particularly if you might be in danger travelling to or from the event [Highknights, War Wizards, and other undercover agents would also be armed, but their arms would be hidden]).

Officers among the Dragons do indeed have social lives, though it varies with the person, of course. Friendships within garrisons are encouraged, romances DIScouraged (and with War Wizards mind-reading without warning, often, this is something that can be effectively policed). If a friendship seems likely to lead to corruption, or a romance blossom, one or both of the persons involved is simply reassigned to another location. They are indeed put 'out on show' (sometimes as sly information-gatherers, but more often to bolster public support for the troops, especially in Arabel and Marsember, by letting everyone see they are “decent sorts” and to foster friendships between Dragons and civilians) if their personalities won’t make doing so PR disasters. Often officers doing so get covertly watched from afar by War Wizards using spells, Highknights, and so on to see what they can learn about local intrigues and fads and opinions, and to make sure their officers aren’t getting corrupted (note: I don’t mean they will stop an officer hopping into bed with a citizen, even if it’s someone married to someone else, or having a shady past, or being a professional “bedchamber worker,” or even a known agent for a crime cabal or foreign interest; rather, I’m speaking of corruption not in the moral sense, but in the “betraying your country” sense). In short, the Court (Azoun and Filfaeril, and now Filfaeril and Alusair, and throughout on a daily, effective basis, moreso Vangerdahast and Laspeera and now Caladnei and Laspeera) do know of, and quietly encourage, this practice.

And Damian, you’re very welcome. This is something I should have been far more specific about in print, long ago. As you can tell, my notes were near at hand when your question was relayed to me by the lovely THO (I’m afraid I’m not at liberty to explain just why, yet).

So saith Ed. More essential Realmslore! Wheee!
love to all,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO

Edited by - crazedventurers on 17 Feb 2008 13:49:15
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1719 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2008 :  11:09:28  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Lore indeed! Thanks for contributing, crazed.
For anyone interested in a futher discussion of the love-making topic should head over to Ed's Replies 2008 in particular those from 14th February onward as others, e.g. Garen Thal, have chimed in as well.

Edited by - Ergdusch on 01 Mar 2008 09:40:18
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1719 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2008 :  10:13:50  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started re-reading Murder in Cormyr today, the german translation anyway. It takes place in and around the town of Ghars. Information on this place can also be found on the pages 182/183 of Volo's Guide to Cormyr.

Summing up hereafter any useful information about Ghars obtained from Volo's Guide's entry and 'Murder in Cormyr' but BEWARE: minor spoilers are included in the people's discriptions, though they are marked as such. (You will have to highlight to read them!!!)
(All names underlinded are translated by me from the German version of the novel ('Mord in Cormyr'):

Official Information:
Population: ca. 1,200 (mostly humans, at least 1 dwarf and 1 halfling)
Armed Force: Purple Dragon garrison nearby (read about the garrison below)
Major Temples: ???
Local Nobles: ???
Local Merchants: Beardhelm Meadowcreek (read about his person below)
Lord: none, though Sarp Redbeard of Wheloon funtions performs the duties (record-keeping and tax collection) for Ghars.
Herold: Grodoveth (read about his person below)
Major: Tobald (read about his person below)

Taverns and Inns:
Sheaf of Wheat - forgettable, but not dreadful inn run by an unfriendly hulk of a man named Lukas Spoonfade (Lukas Löffelschwund).
Silver Scythe - forgettable, but not dreadful inn.
Bold Bard - this rather pleasant, if rustic tavern is owned and run by a dwarf called Shortleg (Kurzbein). One of his wenches is called Sunflower (Sonnehaar) for her long blonde hair.
Swamp's Rat (Sumpfratte) - this tavern is located about a good 20 minutes horse-ride east of town. A shabby place run by Hesketh Pratt (Hesketh Pratt), serving cheap beer and watered wine to the local farmers not willing to take the trip into town 'for just one drink'.

Other buildings/businesses in Ghars:
Purple Dragon garrison - the garrison is regarded by all in the town as an impartial and incorruptible police force. Its presence has led to the growth of this village into a town of some 1,200 folk. Temporarily the garrisons commander is Captain Flim (Hauptmann Flim).
Smithy & Stalls - the smithy run by Aunsible Durn and his assistant Dovo.
Water cistern- the highest building in town. Ghars has wells but no plentiful water so the cistern helps in particular dry summers. The cistern's water supplies are managed by Khlerat (Khlerat).
Library - the library is not more than a single large room, added to the town hall. The literature mainly focuses on regional lore and history, due to the preferences of the librarian Phelos Marmwitz (Phelos Marmwitz). However, there are a few books on philosophy and biology, a few novels and a duzen or so maps of Cormyr and its neighboring states, all out of date of course.
Jewelry - run by a human, Diccon Picard (Diccon Picard), who is fond of using lots of insence oil in his shop for unknown reasons (I speculate to cover up his body oder).
Butcher - Skedmoor (Skedmoor) is the towns butcher.
Alchemist and Medic - Doctor Braum (Doktor Braum) is a local medic, who is not all that competent in his craft, as I've heard. But he will do in most cases, I guess.
Purchase and Sale Shop - a local halfling Bryn Goldenteeth (Bryn Goldzahn) owns this little shop in town where you can buy and sale pretty much any rummage you like. For a good price too, if you are of halfling blood, that is!

Also present in Ghars are a Candlemaker and a
Dressmaker/Tailor. Most likely many more shops exist but were not mentioned in the novel and therefore not mentioned here.

People of Ghars:
Benelaius ??? (Benelaius) - a war wizard who has retired from his duties and now lives in a nice two-story building with his enumerous house cats and his servant Jasper (Jasper). His house is located about 40 minutes horse-ride south and east of town, close to the Vast Swamp.
Tobald ??? (Tobald) - Formerly a professor at the University of Suzail Tobald now funtions as the towns major. He suffers on advanced gout and takes various medications to make him feel better. He is not very fond of Doctor Braum, as he sees in him no more than a quacksalver and charlatan (which he is not, I should mention.) (Spoiler: He is convicted of treason to the crown and espionage for the Ironthrone. Further he is made responsible for the deaths of Dovo and Grodoveth.)
Grodoveth ??? (Grodoveth) - the envoy of the Crown and the king's Local Lord Sarp Redbeard of Whellon. He 'patrols' the region around the Vast Swamp and stops by Ghars ever so often. He is marries to Beatrice Obarskyr, a cousin-german to King Azoun IV and behaves like that would be really something. Rumors have spred that he was banned by Azoun himself from Suzail for some unfavorable romantic liason with another 'lady'. (Spoiler: He dies during the course of the book as he is being beheaded by a trap in the tomb of Fastred the Ghost. He is also the murderer of Dovo, as will be revieled in at the very end of the book.)
Beardhelm Meadowcreek (Barthelm Wiesenbach) - the owner of the ox-driven grist mill and richest merchant of Ghars. He is also the representative of Cormyr's 'Council of Merchants' in Ghars. Also worth mentioning is his dauther Mayella (Mayella), desireable not only for daddy's assets, but even more so for her stuningly beautiful looks.
Aunsible Durn - he is the local smith of some skill, indeed. Folk come for miles to buy his tools, plowshares, scythes, and horseshoes. Its all the rage among the wealthier farmers to equip their laborers with halberds, bills, or pikes from Durn. Many locals think these squires really just want an excuse to parade around in grand-looking armor at every wedding and festival day while by a ramshackle honor guard.
Dovo (Dovo) - he is Aunsible Durns assistand in the smithy and a womaniser, if you have ever seen one, even though he is married and has two kids. (Spoiler: Dovo dies during the course of the book. He pretents to be the Ghost of Fastred the Robber, who is rumopred to be buried somewhere in the Vast Swamp. However, somebody must have found this joke not very amusing as Dovo is found beheaded after one of his nightly 'shows'.)
Kendra ??? (Kendra) - an adventuring woman (fighter) with fire-red hair trimmed at the neck and a well tunned body, so it was said, who stayed in Ghars at that time.
Elizabeth Thornclaw (Elizabeth Dornernklaue) - she is a very old woman, who lives in a depraved little house a mile south of town and has lost some of her senses over the years. She sometimes has her clear moments but otherwise babbles a lot of giberish and non-sense. That's why she is often caled 'crazy Liz'. Younger folk don't even know her real name.

There are a few more citizens of Ghars named in the novel. However, as they are mostly farmers, are not of much importance to the towns live or the plot and therefore not mentioned here.

Additional information:
- Ghars can be located on this Map of the entire Kingdom of Cormyr.
- We had a discussion on Ghars in another thread: Who is the Lord of Ghars?

Edited by - Ergdusch on 05 Mar 2008 07:04:18
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 20 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000