Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Who is Lord of Ghars??? (Flurryfeet Noble House)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2008 :  09:20:12  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Fellow scribes!

As I work on my ever growing source collection for Cormyr, a task that most likely will never come to an end, I came across another oddity while re-reading the novel 'Murder of Cormyr'.

The novel names Lord Sarp Redbeard of Wheloon as the Local Lord of Ghars.

Kris Metz however mentions the halfling noble house 'Flurryfeet' and in particular 'Tommy Flurryfeet' as the Local Lord of Ghars in his extensive lists of the Nobles of Cormyr here and again here.

However, I found no hint to any halfling population near Ghars nor any mentioning of the Flurryfeet noble house either in the novel or in any of the sourcebooks that I have checked.

Where would I find something on the Flurryfeet noble house to support Kris' mentioning of them?

Thanks for your help in this.

Mod Edit: Scroll shifted to the "Sages of Realmslore" shelf.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - The Sage on 03 Mar 2008 09:39:37

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2008 :  08:12:36  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mmh! This seems to be a tougher thing than what I thought it would be.... not a word in 5 days. Maybe people are too caught up with what news the D&D XP brought us!

However, maybe this helps: Does anyone have any clue as to what sourcebooks if any Kris Metz based his list of Nobles of Cormyr on? Else I will be forced to bug Ed with this and blame all of youfor not helping out!

Anyhow, I changed the topic title to make aware of the real intent of this thread in hope that this will help in finding new facts.

Further, I suggest this thread to be moved to a more appropriate shelf: Sages of Realmslore. If any mod could be so inclined to do so...

Thanks in advance, Ergdusch

Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2008 :  00:58:49  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I can recall correctly, go with the Cormyr sourcebook from 2e.

The listing by Kris Metz, while extensive, also uses a few families and alterations for the personal campaign, and I think the Flurryfeet noble house is one of them. Somewhere, I had an altered list that took out everything that I couldn't nail down in a source.

oops, you didn't list the Cormyr accessory, you talked about the book Murder in cormyr, which I don't have. Lord Sarp is the correct choice, anyway.

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2008 :  11:17:43  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mkhaiwati

If I can recall correctly, go with the Cormyr sourcebook from 2e.

The listing by Kris Metz, while extensive, also uses a few families and alterations for the personal campaign, and I think the Flurryfeet noble house is one of them. Somewhere, I had an altered list that took out everything that I couldn't nail down in a source.

oops, you didn't list the Cormyr accessory, you talked about the book Murder in cormyr, which I don't have.

I doublechecked Kris Metz's mentioning of the Flurryfeet as Lord of Ghars after reading the novel as both gave contradicting information thereto. Among others I checked the Cormyr Sourcebook and Volo's Guide to Cormyr of 2nd Ed. and both did not even once mention the Flurryfeet - anywhere! So I assumed Kris must have made up the halfling noble house entirely!
Your answer seems to verify my thought.

quote:

Lord Sarp is the correct choice, anyway.

Have you found any reference for this beside the novel? If so I'd like to know of it.... Thanks!

Edited by - Ergdusch on 04 Mar 2008 11:19:31
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2008 :  15:41:39  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahem...

There is no Local Lord specifically assigned to Ghars or its environs. Sarp Redbeard, King's Lord of Wheloon, performs the duties (record-keeping and tax collection) for Ghars, but there is no lord in or of the town.

Many campaigns tend to adopt their own homebrew local lords for minor towns, but the fact is that those towns that the king has appointed lords to have lords for a reason. Not every town with a population of X or a seasonal income of Y necessarily has a King's Lord. Ghars is one of those minor settlements that doesn't warrant such direct oversight.

BC
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2008 :  16:44:25  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

Ahem...

There is no Local Lord specifically assigned to Ghars or its environs. Sarp Redbeard, King's Lord of Wheloon, performs the duties (record-keeping and tax collection) for Ghars, but there is no lord in or of the town.

Many campaigns tend to adopt their own homebrew local lords for minor towns, but the fact is that those towns that the king has appointed lords to have lords for a reason. Not every town with a population of X or a seasonal income of Y necessarily has a King's Lord. Ghars is one of those minor settlements that doesn't warrant such direct oversight.

BC

Right on Garen! Thank you so much for this info. I take you on your word with this! You know that, right?!

Could you shed some light on the halfling population that Kris Metz mentions in his scrolls. Is there any reason published from canon lore or what you know of to believe that there
1. even exists a Halfling House by the name of Flurryfeet in Ghars?
2. is a greater number of Halflings in or around Ghars?
3. and if so what size this 'community' might number?

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2008 :  17:15:43  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

Ahem...

BC

Right on Garen! Thank you so much for this info. I take you on your word with this! You know that, right?!

Could you shed some light on the halfling population that Kris Metz mentions in his scrolls. Is there any reason published from canon lore or what you know of to believe that there
1. even exists a Halfling House by the name of Flurryfeet in Ghars?
2. is a greater number of Halflings in or around Ghars?
3. and if so what size this 'community' might number?

Let me get home and look over my notes. I think I might have something on halflings, and something else on Ghars, but no promises.

To be clear, though: ALL nobles in Cormyr are human. Some families have distant (or not-so-distant) elven blood, but there are no elven, dwarf, gnome or halfling noble houses anywhere in the Forest Kingdom.

At least, none which hold any authority under, nor owe featly to, the Dragon Throne...
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2008 :  03:49:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to confirm: Garen Thal is, of course, correct.
Ed assures me that there are no halfling nobles of Cormyr, and "Flurryfeet" isn't a name or clan he created. They could, of course, be halfling nobles of some other place, just dwelling in Cormyr now, but they wouldn't have the status of nobles in Cormyr.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2008 :  06:54:33  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for chiming in, THO and Garen. This is all very helpful and once again I am glad that we have so Realms-knowledgable people at these boards!

Looking forward to here more on this.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000