Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Looking for all about Cormyr
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2007 :  01:04:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got one old scroll to add to your listing Erg... It's got plenty of ghazneth and Cormyr lore from Garen:-

- Ghazneths

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 08 Oct 2007 01:05:18
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2007 :  08:15:05  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

I added the Wyvernspur Family Lineage done by Garen Thal, which I found at another thread here in Candlekeep, to the list of web goddies. Great work, Garen!

I wonder: Are there any other such ieces of lore that you kept from us so far and are willing to share.......?

Ergdusch

Sadly, yes.

I say "sadly" because the great majority of lore I have squirreled away is drawn from conversations and files that are not part of published Realmslore or subject to NDAs, from bugging Ed and gleaning answers from what he doesn't say, or pure guesswork. Most of the time, I get things right (or so I'm told), but I'm reluctant to share any lore that isn't both consistent with what's been published and permissable for me to share.

So, for the moment, nothing from me. Sorry, folks.

Thanks for your answer, Garen. Sad for all of us indeed. If the situation ever changes for any of your materials you now hold back, please remember us here in these halls, all those srcibes here longing for more fluffy fluff from the FR.

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I've got one old scroll to add to your listing Erg... It's got plenty of ghazneth and Cormyr lore from Garen:-

- Ghazneths

Thanks Sage, for bringing this scroll to my desk, adding to the ever growing list of cormyr-related lore I try to gather.

I just did exaclty that adding Frostfell to the novel list, as it features a war wizard of cormyr and gives great fluff information about High Horn.

Now, I also recall a passage in some book, where Vangy and someone else (was it El or maybe one of the 7 sisters...) are discussing the many hidden portals and scrying devices in the royal castle of cormyr........ Was it in one of the chapters of Silverfall? Or in any of the books of the Elminster series? Mmh mmh mmh!

My memory about this passage is vivid but it escapes me where I have read it. So if you could help in refreshing my memory?

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 08 Oct 2007 08:54:19
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2007 :  19:02:45  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A new source for Cormyr has been found:

Dungeon issue #88, The Doors from Everywhere

Behold the lost secrets of the Netherese empire, and explore them at your own peril. A D&D FORGOTTEN REALMS adventure set specifically in Cormyr (in DR 1372) for 6th-level PCs by Roger E. Moore.

Anymore adventures in Dungeon magazine set in the Forest Kingdom that you can think of?

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2007 :  19:08:30  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am guessing you want something better than "mistakes where made"?
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2007 :  19:14:13  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

I am guessing you want something better than "mistakes where made"?

Whatever it is - as long as it is related to Cormyr - bring it on. Edition does not matter. So please Jorkens, name your sources! All is appreciated...

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2007 :  07:28:50  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, I must have made that last post in my sleep cause I cant find the post I was commenting on, which I thought related to inconsistencies in the presentation of Eveningstar. Sorry.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2007 :  13:45:12  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

You know, I must have made that last post in my sleep cause I cant find the post I was commenting on, which I thought related to inconsistencies in the presentation of Eveningstar. Sorry.

That's alright, Jorkens. If you should ever come across it again, know that this is the place to put it! I appreciate your participation in this no matter what little you have to share.

Moreover, Sage, I bought Crown of Fire and will get into it right away, longing for realmsian lore on Cormyr.

Last, I went through the Dragon Roll Call for all Dragons related to Cormyr. This is what I came up with (living in bold and the dead ones italicized):

[Dragon, CR, Status, Gender, (Class), Age, Kind, Lair / Domain, Details / Fate, Source]
Aeglyl Dreadclaw, 15, Living, Male, old, fang, Cormyr, Elminster's Daughter 337
Ammaratha Cyndusk, 21, Living, Female, ancient, song, Marsember (Cormyr), Elminster's Daughter 308
Argenta Purenote, 18, Living, Female, mature, adult, silver, Western Storm Horns/Cormyr, Draconomicon [1e] 121
Arnfalamme Redwing, 24, Living, Female, wyrm, red, Cormyr/Dragon Coast, Stormlight 244
Aurgloroasa, "The Sibilant Shade", 25, Dracolich, Female, wyrm, shadow, Thunderholme/Thunder Peaks, Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 112, Cult of the Dragon 38, 53, Volo's Guide to the Dalelands 148
Aurus, 27, Living, Male, great wyrm, gold, Arabel/Cormyr, Draconomicon [1e] 56
Bethildritar, 20, Living, Male, very old, bronze, Stormsword Mountain/Thunderpeaks, Code of the Harpers 7, Cult of the Dragon 56
Brazz Polis, 12, Living, Male, adult, brass, Western Storm Horns/Cormyr, Draconomicon [1e] 122
Bron Tanse, 17, Living, Male, mature adult, bronze, Western Storm Horns/Cormyr, Draconomicon [1e] 122
Dendeirmerdammarar, — , Dead, Male, wyrm, red, Cormyr, Stormlight 244
Eboanaflimoth, "Ebonflame", 18, Dracolich, Female, adult, red, Near ruins of Tilverton, Cult of the Dragon 53
Faye Pixie, 6, Living, Female, — , faerie, King’s Forest/ Cormyr, Draconomicon [1e] 122
Ferreous Costello, 12, Living, Male, old, steel, Suzail/Cormyr, Draconomicon [1e] 121
Fi Lendicol, 21, Living, Female, very old, silver, Stonelands, Elminster's Ecologies: The Stonelands 23
Forgrimmorithal, "Shift", 22, Living, Male, great wyrm, black, The Farsea Marshes, Draconomicon [1e] 34, 37
Gorge Cooper , — , Dead, Male, mature adult, copper, The Stonelands/Cormyr, Draconomicon [1e] 122
Gorthalylaug, "Stormcrossing", — , Dead, Male, very old, red, Aphrunn Mountains/Jhaamdath, Slain by dwarves, The Vilhon Reach 6
Gotha, — , Destroyed dracolich, Male, ancient, red, Moonshae, Slain by Alicia Kendrick, Cult of the Dragon 53
Gracy Cooper , — , Dead, Female, young adult, copper, The Stonelands/Cormyr, Draconomicon [1e] 122
Grinnsira, 24, Livin, Female, ancient, red, Stonelands, Elminster's Ecologies: The Stonelands 18, 23
Kuldrak the Many-Taloned, — , Dead, Male, ancient, red, Southern Thunder Peaks, Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 142
Mahrlee, 11, Living, Female, young adult, blue, Storm Horns, Into the Dragon's Lair 27
Mairogra, — , Dead, Female, wyrm, red, Everlund, Dragon #257 76
Malek Salerno, 15, Living, Male, ancient, steel, Arabel, Elminster's Ecologies: The Settled Lands 20
Mera Quicksilver, 10, Living, Female, adult, mercury, Storm Horns/Cormyr, Draconomicon [1e] 121
Mistinarperadnacles Hai Draco, "Mist", — , Dead, Female, ancient, red, Storm Horns, Slain battling Moander, Azure Bonds, Villain's Lorebook 14
Nevalarich, 18, Living, Male, mature adult, red, Southern Thunder Peaks, Cult of the Dragon 39, 41, Elminster's Ecologies: Thunder Peaks 27
Orothaumyth, "Wyvernvapor", 18, Living, Male, old, mist, Wyvernwater/Eastern Cormyr, Dragons of Faerun 144
Rauglothgor, — , Destroyed dracolich, Male, great wyrm, red, Thunder Peaks, Spellfire, Forgotten Realms Atlas 110, Cult of the Dragon 17, 23, 26
Shargrailar, "The Dark," "The Sacred One", — , Disembodied dracolich, Male, great wyrm, red, Immerflow/Thunder Peaks, Slain by Shandril Shessair, Cult of the Dragon 16, 24, 25, 26,Spellfire
Shorliail, 21, Living, Female, very old, red, Storm Horns, Elminster's Ecologies: Thunder Peaks & Storm Horns 27
Skarlthoon, "Snarljaws", - , Dead, Female, old, green, SE of Secomber, Died from Disease, Dragon #245 53
Tarith the Green, — , Dead, Female, old, green, Thunder Peaks, Realms of the Dragon I - "A Worm Too Soft"
Tarlacoal, 19, Living, Male, mature adult, gold, Thunder Peaks, Elminster's Ecologies: The Stormhorns and Thunder Peaks 26
Thauglorimorgorus, "The Black Doom," "Thauglor the Mighty," "The Purple Dragon", — , Dead, Male, ancient, black, Storm Horns, Defeated by Iliphar Nelnueve, slain by King Azoun II in 1018, Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 113, Cormyr: A Novel, Grand History of the Realms 115, (for a further discussion see the Purple Dragon Scroll.)
Thraxata, "The Flamefiend", 13, Living, Female, young adult, red, The Blood Horn/SW Cormyr, Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 128, The Dalelands 47, Cult of the Dragon 39, Monster Manual IV 155
Thungarbarath, "Flamegout", — , Dead, Male, wyrm, red, Thunder Peaks, Slain by the Bold Broadswords, Prayers from the Faithful 26
Vendrathdammarar, "Brimstone", 20, Living, Male, old, red, Storm Horns/Cormyr, Draconomicon [1e] 123
Xantrithicus, - , Dead, Male, great wyrm, green, Thunder Peaks, Realms of Magic - "A Worm Too Soft"
Yiarni, 12, Living, Female, adult, crystal, Thunder Peaks, Elminster's Ecologies: The Stormhorns and Thunder Peaks 26

Edited by - Ergdusch on 14 Nov 2007 09:53:08
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2007 :  14:37:28  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found it, I was referring to your post of 29 August with the previous comment. I was certain I posted this right after you; how the ... did that end up here? As far as I know there are now official explanation for the changes in Eveningstar.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2007 :  09:28:01  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I try to gather as much lore of Cormyr in one single scroll as possible I'll quote both George Krashos and Garen Thal here. The comments originate and still can be found in the Purple Dragon Scroll. I edited them for an easier read.

Ergdusch

quote:

The Purple Dragon actually had no direct association with the Obarskyr family until Duar (then prince) and his friends had an adventuring band by that name. They adopted the name thanks to the legends of Thauglor--who none of the royal family ever knew was a black dragon--and Duar only took the name for the army from the Dragons in memory of his loyal companions.

It is common for noble families to adopt as their arms beasts that they have slain (or family legend claims that they slew). Thauglor was slain by Azoun II in 1018, giving his descendants every right to embrace the charge on their shields.

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

And following on from Garen's as always cogent comment, this comes from Ed after I queried him about what banner Azoun would have ridden under for my "Valashar" piece in GhotR. Enjoy.

The earliest collective symbol of Cormyr was a shield or banner field of light blue (the sky), with the bottom third of the shield green with a scalloped top edge (trees), and sticking up vertically from the center of the trees, "halfway up" the sky, a single gray castle keep tower (featureless [no windows, stonework "joint lines," or anything of the sort], tapering slightly towards the top, and crowned by simple crenelated battlements (a "flat crown" of four teeth: two simple merlons in the middle and two flaring ones on the outsides).

This blazon was known as "the Pride of the Realm" and signified the foundation of the human realm of Cormyr, in a wild green forest. As such, it was considered defiant to elves, and later insulting to elves. (Hence its ready replacement by the Purple Dragon.)

Prince Azoun would personally have used the banner of the Obarskyrs: a green field ("middling green," representing verdant farm fields or grass, not the dark green of trees), upon which is displayed a circle of gold chain, surmounted by a gold five-spired crown (central spike is the tallest, outside ones next tallest, those between shorter). The crown is depicted side-on, and the circle as if it was pinned in shape on a green tabletop that had been turned vertical to
the viewer [so it forms a perfectly circular "O" shape].

-- George Krashos

P.S This was another of my GHotR "easter eggs" that seemingly no-one picked up on.

quote:

And, since George was kind enough to share this, I've cobbled together a page with the image I generated in response to the lore.

Edited by - Ergdusch on 03 Nov 2007 18:07:39
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2007 :  10:09:30  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You will find 'The History of Cormyr', compiled into XML by no other than Brian R. James here:

The History of Cormyr (needs Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 or greater to be read)

Edited by - Ergdusch on 05 Mar 2008 09:25:01
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2007 :  09:42:58  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two ideas of Cormyr and Spelljamming found on the Spelljammer Mailing List.

Note: If this is a good take on spelljammering and how much of this derives from possible canon sources I cannot say as I have close to no experience with the spelljammer setting.

Done by Paul Westermeyer:

'Cormyr is the only true kingdom in the heartland of Faerun. A large, prosperous nation ruled by a just king, Cormyr is considered by many to be the strongest nation on the Sea of Fallen Stars. It sits firmly astride the east-west trade route, and benefits from variety of resources of its own. King Azoun was perhaps the only ruler in the region with enough of a personal reputation to unite the many disparate elements against the common threat of the Tuigan invasion.
While most Cormyreans are aware of the possibility of flying ships, only the educated and adventurers truely grasp the implications of spelljamming. Certainly such court luminaries as Vangerdahast, the Royal Magician, understand fully the number of nations swirling around "out there" but for most Cormyreans spelljamming simply means flyingships. The kingdom's laws do not deal any differently with spelljammers entering then anyone else coming into Cormyr from foriegn parts, the same taxes and regulations apply.
Cormyr itself does not have an active spelljamming force, though there are one or two private craft owned by Cormyrean adventurers more than willing to perform missions for the Crown. Defence against spelljammers comes from the famed Purple Dragons, Cormyr's professional army whose fortifications all are designed with the possibility of aerial attack in mind, and the War Wizards, a very organized corps of mages loyal to the crown. A scro Mantis which attempted to land at Suzail in the past year found out just how effective those defences are, it was easily destroyed and inflicted less then 20 casualties in return.
Cormyr has three major cities, spelljammers are welcome to land at any of the three (flying directly over a Cormyrean city is a crime). Suzail, the capital, and Marsember, a port city, are the best choices as their nautical shipwrights can fairly easily adapt to repairing damaged spelljammers. Also, many of the other services directed at nautical visitors can be of service to 'jammers. Traffic cannot be called brisk, and some few undoubtably pretend to be typical groundling vessels when in port, but there is usually one spelljammer at one of the three cities. Slavers prefer easier targets then a nation with a professional army and a corps of battle wizards, Cormyr suffers little from spelljammer raids. Though the nation is currently trying to build a corps of hippogriff riders to provide a aerial cavalry, it is unlikely to pursue a 'jammer building program in the near future given its slight effect on the life of the nation.'

Done by Toby Mekelburg:

'Like Waterdeep, Cormyr has a strict policy concerning spelljamming craft. Flying of unauthorized spelljammers over any Cormyrean settlement will result in the offending vessel being shot down by hippogriff mounted War Wizards or Purple Dragon crewed Hammerships. 'Jammers must either hug the coastline, or fly well away from towns and villages. Flights above the Lake of Dragons are allowed, but the harassing of Cormyrean Navy or merchant vessels will result in an attack by the aforementioned aerial forces. The only two ports for spelljammers in Cormyr are at Suzail and Marsember.
The spelljamming port of Marsember lies adjacent to the Naval Drydock compound. It is surrounded by its own newly built 20' high stone walls. Three towers have been built at strategic points on the wall. In these towers are three medium ballistas with crews of four Purple Dragons. These weapons, as well as blasting spells, are used as defensive measures in the event of 'jammer attack on the city. The dock has room for three vessels, and docking fees are a flat 5 gp, which includes air and drinking water. Also, merchants bringing goods via spelljammer must pay a flat 4% tax on their items. A year ago, a scro mantis was shot down after it tried to leave the dock without paying. A few scro survivors are currently working in the Royal rock quarries.
The Suzalian 'jammer dock is built a half mile from the city, mainly for security reasons. There are currently six docks in a clear, unwalled field. Docking fees are 8 gp for water and air, while a wagon to transport goods along the paved road will cost 2gp. The road leading to Suzail was paved with intricately cut granite stones from Tyrluk. The money to do this came from the Crown and several of the noble families. Teamsters, from the Teamsters Guild, can be hired as per PH costs. The use on non-guild labor will generally result in the transported goods to arrived damaged or not arrive at all. These events are usually chalked up to 'human error". The same 4% tax is enforced as well.

The docks at Marsember and Suzail are patrolled by customs agents and Purple Dragons. Both the customs agents and Purple Dragons are rotated regularly to combat corruption. Contraband material is usually smokepowder, guns, drugs, poisons, slaves etc. Smuggling of contraband will result in prison terms of 2-4 years. When a ship wants to dock, it is met by War Wizards, Purple Dragons and Customs Agents.

Cormyr's Air Fleet
To protect Cormyr from attack from Wildspace and the dangers of the Stonelands and Goblin Marches, Cormyr has formed aerial fighting units: 'jammers and hippogriff cavalry. Cormyr has a small fleet of spelljammers, forming their main aerial force. The fleet consists of:
4 Hammerships
2 Cogs
3 Shrikeships
2 Dragonflies

The Hammerships are equipped with major helms, while the rest use minor helms. One Hammership is stationed at Marsember and one at Suzail. Their primary purpose is the defense of the city from attack. The two cogs are based at Marsember and routinely patrol the Lake of Dragons, rarely using their spelljamming abilities unless necessary. The Shrikeships and Dragonflies rotate between High Horn and Castle Crag, running patrols over the Stonelands and Goblin Marches. In addition, Cormyr has two minor and one major helm in reserve, captured from raiding ships. The major helm was recovered when Cormyrean forces downed a neogi Deathspider near Hultail. Under covering fire from the Hammerships, four Shrikeships, filled with Purple Dragons, mages and priests, boarded the Deathspider. During the fighting, an explosion on board the neogi craft destroyed the entire ship, crew, Cormyrean soldiers, mages and one of the Shrikeships.
Recently, an elven Flitter was salvaged near Waymoot after it was damaged by scro. The Flitter was recovered and the injured elven pilot healed of his wounds. The elf, a Lieutenant Cavarien Starbow(CG em F5/W7) of the IEN, has been appointed as an advisor to King Azoun concerning spelljamming matters.
The other Hammerships patrol Cormyrean airspace and occasionally make contact with Waterdhavian 'jammers. Although relations have been strained between Waterdeep and Cormyr since the Tuigan War, they do sometimes coordinate with each other to fend off neogi, Tenth Pit, and scro.
A few of the noble families have purchased spelljammers. To own a 'jammer, it requires a license costing 2,000 gp. This allows ownership of three vessels; any additional ships will cost 500gp. Licenses can be obtained from local lords or their heralds. They take down the name, class, owner and power source for the license. Airborne patrols, armed with this info are able to determine which vessel is Cormyrean and which is not. Some notable families with spelljamming craft are:

The Crownsilvers
The Crownsilver fleet is operated by Hrathar Crownsilver (NG hm F5), a young man with dashing good looks who is considered by many an up-and-comer in Court. He is assisted by several cousins who are competent mages. It seems that in recent years members of the Crownsilver family have shown a great aptitude for wizardly arts, which is strange since it has never had more than a few members in the War Wizards. The Crownsilvers are currently engaged in trading with several Wildspace nations.
Fleet:
1 Tradesman
2 Cogs
1 Dragonfly
2 Squidships
All are equiped with major helms.

The Hawklins
The Hawklins are renowned for their military service to the Crown. They are at the forefront of Cormyr's military expansion into Realmspace. Their main objective is to keep the shipping lanes of Realmspace free of pirates, scro and neogi. Erltos Hawklin (LG hm F10) commands the family's small, but efficient fleet.
Fleet:
2 Hammerships
1 Battledolphin
2 Galleons
The Battledolphin and Galleons are equipped with major helms. Also, the Hawklins have hired two dozen giff mercs to serve on the Hammerships.

The Scatterhawks
The Skatterhawks have turned to the exploration of Realmspace, specifically the Tears of Selune. Headed by Aleria Scatterhawk(LN hf P9), they have mapped many of the asteroid fields and several of the communities including the dwarven Citadel and Dragon Rock.
Fleet:
2 Shrikeships
3 Wasps
1 Mosquito

The Dauntinghorns
The Dautinghorns are primarily interested in trade. Relinia Dautinhorn (CG hef W12/P10) directs the aggressive trade negotiations with several nations of Wildspace and merchant companies on Bral. The Dauntinghorns have established a compound in the Merchant's Quarter on Bral. They are also starting up the building of several types of spelljammers in Suzail. The full operation will be up and running within the year.
Fleet:
4 Tradesman
2 Dolphin-Shuttles
2 Squid Ships

The Cormaerils have had their Whaleship and 2 Hammerships confiscated by the crown after recent events (see Cormyr:A Novel).'

Edited by - Ergdusch on 14 Nov 2007 09:43:53
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2007 :  21:36:58  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A new tiny bit of lore that belongs to this thread, if only for the person being interviewed:

A Moment With Alusair[removed old link] - From the hands of Elminster, a hitherto-suppressed snippet of Realmslore relevant to the novel Swords of Dragonfire

Edited by - Ergdusch on 25 Jan 2011 15:46:22
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2007 :  21:56:19  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A new tiny bit of lore that belongs to this thread, if only for the person being interviewed:

excellent read - thanks for the link

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2007 :  23:41:27  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, I wish we'd get articles like that more often.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2007 :  11:36:49  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A reply by Ed on a question by KEJR concerning the Temples of Chauntea, Tyr, Torm and Helm in Cormyr:

KnightErrantJr posted:
"In Swords of Eveningstar, Tanalasta, when discussing what she would do if disaster befell her parents with Vangerdahast, said that she would summon the overpriests of Chauntea, Helm, Torm, and Tyr.
What I am wondering is where these overpriests might be found. I've looked through all of my Cormyr sources, and I can't find any major temples to these gods, but I am curious about this in part because I know these gods are fairly well known and worshiped in Cormyr.
I found a mention in Volo's Guide to Cormyr that Vangerdahast was reluctant to allow the Chaunteans to build a fortified abbey near Arabel to serve as a focal point for their faith, and the only references I can find to Helm are ruined temples and shrines."

So beyond where these faiths' overpriests might be found, are there any abbeys or temples out in the wilderness or off the beaten path in Cormyr of these gods?

Ed replies:
"Not out in the wilderness, no, and the Court of Cormyr has a long-standing objection to temples being built in or near Arabel, Marsember, or the Sembian border without their permission, to avoid Sembian interests using them as a way to infiltrate the realm by shifting monies, armaments, armed agents, and eventually trained warriors into said temples.
The overpriests in question (most of whom appear near the end of DEATH OF THE DRAGON) all have modest apartments (above street-level stores, in buildings the churches own, mostly "one street south" of the Promenade) in Suzail. These are for meetings and short visits (e.g. when appearing at court) in Suzail. All of them actually live and spend most of their time in temples built in the open countryside, just east of Suzail along the main trading road. By decree, these temples CANNOT be walled or fortified, though most have "high hedges" farm fencing around the temple-farms that surround them. The exception is the faith of Malar; their temple is to the northwest of Suzail, in wooded foothills where streams (and therefore critters, and therefore hunting) is plentiful - - and their "holy secret" is that they control a cave with a deepspawn in it, that disgorges large, broad-antlered stags that they can hunt at will, or even magically soothe and pen, for accumulation for their annual fall "Stag Feast" (that they invite nobles and movers-and-shakers to, to win support)."

More of these tidbits of lore, Ed and THO. Always most highly appreciated! And a big Thanks to KEJR for asking such a wonderful question in the first place!

Edited by - Ergdusch on 05 Mar 2008 09:26:15
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2007 :  09:17:05  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Question by Malcolm concerning the horse breeding and market situation after the Devil Dragon War and the answer by Garen Thal:

Q: 'If I've just arrived in the kingdom for the first time, aboard a boat from Turmish that docks in Suzail, and I want to buy a sturdy riding horse, am I going to have to pay a lot? I assume Suzail has a market and stables, and I know it's a land where horses are reared and trained, but do they ship most of them elsewhere (e.g. Sembia)? Are the prices "standard" as per core rules, or higher? Rising, in the wake of the devastation of the Devil Dragon wars, or falling?'

A: 'Nothing official on this just yet, but here's my take: It has been some four plus years since the Dragonfall, which is enough time for even yearlings and ponies from around that time to have bred more than once, making your average riding horse about as available as they were before. Heavy horse from Waymoot are still the best around Cormyr, but are less available than they were before; a great mass of the most valuable horseflesh in Cormyr was wiped out by Nalavara and her hordes, making the best breeding stock all the more prized. Your standard varieties of horse--the sorts that are found in the core books--are about as easy to find in places like Suzail as they were in 1370; it's the more expensive, more specific breeds that are tougher to get hold of.'

Edit note: A special war horse breed, the Cormyrean Destrier is discribed in 3rd Ed. Realms of Valor, p. 154.

Edited by - Ergdusch on 06 Feb 2008 11:39:40
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2007 :  21:14:05  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erg,

There's a new Realmslore article up over at the WotC website on a location in the Stonelands. You can find it here.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  08:47:47  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Halidan

Erg,

There's a new Realmslore article up over at the WotC website on a location in the Stonelands. You can find it here.

Thanks for the info Halidan. Another piece of Lore that is most certainly worth gathering...

'Ninety miles west of the ruins of Tilverton, in the heart of the desolate Stonelands, stands a nameless hill whose sere slopes are crowned by a long-ruined villa. Little remains aboveground, but beneath the hill lies a large cave carved out of the stone by a rushing torrent that now has vanished. This is the Cavern of Death...'

Read more of Rich Baker's latest article here.

BTW, where would I find more info about gem lore?!

Edited by - Ergdusch on 11 Dec 2007 17:08:12
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  10:58:01  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gem Lore = Gem Magic? Its the Feat in the Magic of Faerun??

Otheriwse IIRC there was plenty of lore about Gems and their uses in VGtaTM? which is avilable as a free download on the Wizards site.

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  11:08:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

Otheriwse IIRC there was plenty of lore about Gems and their uses in VGtaTM? which is avilable as a free download on the Wizards site.

Damian

Indeed. Volo's Guide to All Things Magical (formerly a suppressed work ) is one of many freebies available on the Wizards downloads page.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  12:46:18  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Damian

If I read correctly, yes. In my opinion, one wizard with the Gem Magic feat, more the knowledge of gems of the Volo´s Guide to All Things Magical would be an interesting character.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  17:07:35  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Damian

Thanks for refreshing my memory. Actually I scanned MoF before adding the question to that post but obviously I must have missed it! And Volo's Guide too - just great! Gem Magic seems to be a part of the magical spectrum that has not seen much attention as it seems, not from my part at least. The latest article might change that.

Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2007 :  05:28:22  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alas, nothing to contribute. Everything has been said by better scribes than I.

Thank you for compiling this list of Cormyrian Realmslore. I need look no further than this scroll for information regarding my upcoming campaign in the Forest Kingdom. And thanks to everyone else for contributing. It is truly a mighty list you've all assembled.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2007 :  08:03:52  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mazrim_Taim

Alas, nothing to contribute. Everything has been said by better scribes than I.

Thank you for compiling this list of Cormyrian Realmslore. I need look no further than this scroll for information regarding my upcoming campaign in the Forest Kingdom. And thanks to everyone else for contributing. It is truly a mighty list you've all assembled.

I thank you for your feedback, thanks and praise as it shows our work to be appreciated.

Leaves me to say: Enjoy your campaign and good gaming!

Ergdusch, the ever so humble servant of Candlekeep, speeking for all those that contributed to this project.

Edited by - Ergdusch on 19 Dec 2007 08:05:14
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2008 :  09:10:14  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello fellow scribes!
I am reading Crown of Fire at the moment and so far I have to say: a great book, entirely! And aside from the overall story it provides marvelous details about Cormyr. I will post some infos here (with a spoiler tag) to share the lore with all of you.

Thundarlun (p. 1 et seq):
Thundarlun is a little fenced village at the western end of Thunder Gap close to the south-east border of the Hullack Forest. It was attacked and somewhat destroyed by Zhents, searching for a girl that had spellfire.

Wanton Wyvern (p. 142 et seq):
According to the map in 'Crown of Fire' (which was before the 3rd Ed map change, of course) the Wanton Wyvern is located north of Hullack Forest, at the eastern banks of the River Immerflow and west of the Thunder Peaks at the Thunder Trail.
Several Buildings are settled around an open high-fenced yard. Left and right of the stout gate leading into the yard 2 lamps flicker at night to lead the way. At night the gate is closed and a sign hangs out with the words "Strike to enter" next to a shield gong. The guard stationed at the gate is called Thomd, a human male in his later years.

Noteworthy is the ragged, cripled and drunken figure that used to lurk around the gate of the Wyvern. It was Baergasra, a female human cleric of Eldath and Harper agent. However, her cover was spoiled during the meeting with Shandril and therefore she had to move on (and therefore will most likely not be seen around the Wyvern nowadays...).

Harpers in the Citadel of the Raven:
Belarla and Oelaerone, 2 pleasure-girls tobe found in a hose with purple door.
Also Myrintara, pleasure queen and sorceress specialized in cloaking magic (and former love of Mirt "...before he got fat!"). In one of her unused closets she hides a portal (p.326) leading to the spot very neer to Eveningstar, to be precise at the grassy bank of the river Starwater where the overland roads meet, by the bridge over the river across from the Lonesame Tankard Inn.

The Hidden House (p. 260 et seq.)
The Hidden House was buildt in times of Myth Drannor or earlier by a very powerful archmage,...some tales say by Azuth himself. Very few even know that it is more than just a tale but truely exists, in Eveningstar. It is part of the wardship of the Lord of Eveningstar. Those who don't know that - including most noble families of Cormyr - have always been puzzled by the high rank given to the post of Lord of Eveningstar.
It has many special features, amongst others a window with scrying properties, rooms that lead to different places each time the doors are opened anew, and it hides persons or things from many a detection spell.
A one way portal leads into the Hidden House. Note that sometimes doors within the House open into one place, and at other times (or when traversed in other directions) to other places. There are many ways into and out of the House, but they tend to "hide" or disappear for periods. In short, next time someone plunges through that portal, it might not take them to the same place it took Shandril, if they don't go through it at just the right time, or in just the right manner, or carrying the right "trigger token." Heh-heh, and so on.

Other important Characters with appearences:
Mirt the Moneylander, Lord of Eveningstar Tessaril Winter, Storm Silverhand, Elminster, The Knights of Myth Drannor, Fzoul Chambryl, Manshoon

Shandril Shessair's stats from the Heroes' Lorebook are available as zip-file download here.
Her and Narm's 3rd Ed Stats can be found in Candlekeeps Traverlers Notebook section (here )

To all of you interested in Cormyr - you should really read CROWN of FIRE yourself. I cannot imagine a better book for an insight on cormyr. However, I have not read the Cormyr Trilogy as of yet.

Ergdusch

Edited by - Ergdusch on 06 Feb 2008 11:57:48
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2008 :  12:34:39  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I added 2 more web links to the ever growing list of material sources of this thread:

A very detailed map of the entire Kingdom of Cormyr of which I could very well imagine and also would like to see a remake of by Markustay, I have to admit. Any chances this might come true in 2008?!?

And further, I was able to dig up an old link to the stats of the Steel Regent Alusair. Any chance someone still has the article which is linked on that page (which reads: Following the tumult in the wake of King Azoun's passing,....)?

Ergdusch

Edited by - Ergdusch on 06 Feb 2008 11:59:56
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2008 :  17:21:55  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And further, I was able to dig up an old link to the stats of the Steel Regent Alusair.

The link didn't work for me.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2008 :  13:46:17  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Damian

Indeed. Volo's Guide to All Things Magical (formerly a suppressed work ) is one of many freebies available on the Wizards downloads page.

You know, it's funny that when I checked the webpage, I realized that Volo's Guide to the Dalelands is a freebie. I have visited that page *many* times and never spotted it -- until now. Coincidentally, I've recently ordered it from Amazon (I'm once again going to run a campaign there) and now I could have a free digital copy. Still, I prefer reading books to PDFs, and I'm not going to cancel my order -- it just seems weird that I spotted it *after* ordering it. Those Wizards of the Sword Coast surely have great and wondrous Enchantment spells at their disposal! (Let us beware the day when 4E comes out and all our 3E books will catch fire and burn to ashes!)

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  19:48:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

(Let us beware the day when 4E comes out and all our 3E books will catch fire and burn to ashes!)

That already happened to me.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  19:06:40  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I stumbled across another Cormyr source - also a marvelous adventure seed BTW:

Look at p. 174 in Faith and Pantheons. Detailed in those pages is a place of Worship called the 'Wyvernstones of Hullack'. It is a circle of granite standing stones in Hullack Forest. Once center of worship for a druidic circle of the Godess Eldath it now serves for much sinister deeds of a much darker cult....

Ergdusch

Edited by - Ergdusch on 14 Jan 2008 10:55:52
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000