Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2008 :  04:01:15  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all!
Ed just arrived back home from D&D Experience, and in addition to confirming that he has indeed played 4e (and very much enjoyed it; he described the RPGA DM who ran things at his table “superb!”), he read the Keep posts I’d sent him, and in response sent me this to share with you:

Hi everyone. A few swift responses, and then I have to hit the sack. I’m not as young as I once was, and keeping up with all the eating, gaming, drinking, and flirting with long-suffering WotC ladies (you know who you are) has exhausted me.

To Wooly Rupert: when you post sentences like this one: “And though I can't think of any evidence to support it, it's not impossible that part of what Larloch is doing is containing something...” be aware that you are (ahem) VERY perceptive.

To althen artren: “I was under the impression that the lichnee were pretty well culled out by the Knights and the Simbul in Tears So White. But I guess there could still be a dozen or so that were held back.”
Larloch held back many, many more.

“Would anybody like to guess how much of his exchange with the Knights was "acting" on his part?”
Aye, there’s the rub. A hint: he INTENDED to mislead them, but ended up being far more sincere than he’d intended to be.

“Does anybody else have the opinion that in all of his appearances, we have never seen the REAL Manshoon? I get the impression that all of his appearances have been made by active statis clones, and that he is in some extra-dimensional space laughing at the show on Faerun and manipulating events on his whim.”
Bingo. Perceptive indeed. However, the Manshoon we see onstage in the Knights trilogy, in SPELLFIRE, and in the “So high A Price” short story is the ‘original.’

Asgetrion: I’ll do you a proper reply later; I am still frightfully busy/late on things. Yes, there are training halls within the majority of urban temples of martial faiths. When you ask “And do these temples usually have curtain walls and gatehouses, even if they're not shown on the city maps?”
The answer is: no, not if they’re not on the maps. Temples out in the countryside almost always do.

And I’m afraid that’s all for right now. I’m yawning at the keyboard. As for all the gamers I met at D&D Experience: Thank you. Boy, we have a great hobby.

So saith Ed. Who is probably snoring as I post this, poor dear thing. Sleeping back with his lovely wife in their own bed should rest him up a little, though.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 03 Mar 2008 04:03:30
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2008 :  05:53:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

To Wooly Rupert: when you post sentences like this one: “And though I can't think of any evidence to support it, it's not impossible that part of what Larloch is doing is containing something...” be aware that you are (ahem) VERY perceptive.

Wow, that piques my curiosity! I hope we get to find out more about this.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2008 :  08:24:03  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
I have to admit that. after a bit of googling, Larloch sounds interesting. Might be useful, in a 'I need to flesh out some unnecesarily complex plot and I don't have a lich yet' kind of way :P
Anyway, where can be found more info on Larloch, aside from the short story?
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2008 :  10:41:34  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message
"Lost Empires of Faerűn", "Lords of Darkness", "Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast", the "Netheril: Empire of Magic" boxed set and plenty of Ed's replies here at Candlekeep. These are entirely more responsible sources for information regarding Larloch, when compared to just about anything you'll learn online elsewhere.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2008 :  21:51:58  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
Chosen of Moradin, a very helpful dwarf, brings to Ed´s plate a question of a brazilian player that don´t speak english, but wanto to learn more about the Realms:

"Oda Nobunaga asks:

- The Thayan Knights are part of the "canon", i.e., they are suported by old realmslore, or are only a Prestige Class added to the Complete Warrior suplement? There are something more that you can say about Thayan Knights, his story, deeds, and if there is some great one, that inspire others in service (like the good orders of knights?"

Chosen of Moradin, helping to seed the Realms in more places, day by day.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2008 :  22:12:27  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
Odd question for Ed,

I know you've talked about the similarities and differences of the Realms to Tolkien's Middle Earth plus also things like how Cormyr was very different from certain depictions fans were given it of Arthurian epics. I was curious, however, how would you say what's similiar and different of the Realms to Howard's Hyborea?

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2008 :  08:21:07  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
Thank you, Lady (Kazandra? is that A Ravenloft reference?)
I have Lost Empires, and on my way to plunder the WotC download section...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2008 :  12:54:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
It is -- our lovely Lady Kazandra did indeed adopt the name of General of the Kargat for her username here at Candlekeep. The Lady Kazandra, as both the player and the character, was also once a regular NPC in my Realms/RAVENLOFT cross-over campaign back in '01/'02.

As for the WotC downloads, you're unlikely to find any of the sources the Lady K mentioned aside from the Netheril boxed set. The rest are, however, available as PDFs from paizo.com for just $4US.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2008 :  15:50:29  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
I recall Kazandra was also an alias adopted by Cindi Rice (which I had the fortune to meet and dine with at Gencon, way back in 2nd ed. Ravenloft). Different lady, I'm sure.
Ravenloft cross-overs, hmmm... I'll probably stay away from that for the Realms, I already did that, after a fashion, in Greyhawk.
Go to Top of Page

ddporter
Acolyte

26 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2008 :  00:05:59  Show Profile Send ddporter a Private Message
Would Ed be so kind as to share with us some personal memories of Gary Gygax?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2008 :  03:40:20  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Ed and I have been e-mailing back and forth since we heard the news, and when I sent him your post, ddporter, he responded with:

I have many, many happy personal memories of Gary, who was not just the father of our hobby, but (thanks to the nature of our hobby), the Emperor of Our Dreams.
Most of my memories are of the “you had to be there” variety rather than the “darned good anecdote” sort, but I do recall, at one of the first Parkside GenCons (for you youngsters, those are the GenCons that were held in the beautiful countryside campus of the University of Wisconsin - Parkside), meeting Gary (right after my first Pages From The Mages article had been published, if I recall rightly; he’d read it and been mightily impressed). He shook my hand, said to the gaggle of gamers and staffers surrounding him, “Back in ten, guys, maybe a little longer,” shoved open one of the glass doors that let right out into the rolling lawns of the “park” surrounding all the linked buildings, and said to me, “C’mon!”
We set off for a meandering walk around the parkland, talking fantasy books, and because I read voraciously and had grown up with a family library of accumulated classics of all sorts that was truly awesome in breadth, I had read about as widely in fantasy (from the ancient epics up through the latest generic sword-and-sorcery efforts) as Gary had. We chatted back and forth like two kids, eager to share our common love for fantasy with each other, and I promised to try to get him a copy of a Gardner Fox title he’d lost his copy of (duly gifted to him at the NEXT GenCon, by the way), and we parted with him hugging me and grinning like a kid.
THAT’S how I’ll always remember Gary: the kid just reveling in fantasy. A kid who just happened to have a beard and belly and glasses (and later, a mullet and hair that changed hue with age, and stronger glasses . . . and at the end, a motor scooter to help him with his walking). We did quite a few panels together at cons, down the years, and I recall one in Toronto with Robin Laws, Gary, and yours truly (at which Gary looked unwell and sounded very tired), where he brightened up at seeing me, and asked, “Still have the dress?”
This referred to an early GenCon panel about “What Dungeon Masters Do?” in which the moderator asked the six (all male, Gary and me being two of them) panelists how far we’d go as far as acting went, in-character, as a DM, including: “If you were in a full-costume murder mystery, even though most of you are hairy, overweight males with beards and/or moustaches, would you put on makeup, jewelry, and a dress, and try to ‘seriously’ act like an alluring female, instead of overacting or being full-on Monty Python ridiculous, despite how ludricrous you might appear?”
Gary replied: “Hell, yeah, just for a laugh. I’m afraid it would be a laugh, though.”
I can’t recall most of the other panelists’ replies (most were of the “Hell, no!” variety, I think), but I replied: “Certainly. Up to and including enthusiastic flirtation - - unless I knew doing so would upset my players! I’m there to ENTERTAIN my players, first and foremost, so their preferences rule.”
Gary looked down the table at me, and asked: “Would you really?”
I assured him I would, and to prove it, if he wanted proof, would borrow or buy high-fashion feminine garb in Lake Geneva and he could take me out to The Red Geranium (among what then passed for highbrow dineries in the town) for dinner, and we could play happy married couple for the evening. He cringed (after all, he lived there, and was married, and I did have a full beard and moustache, and was hairy and getting fat and was very obviously male), and said that doing so REALLY wouldn’t be necessary.
So the next year, when I was attending GenCon, I found Gary’s hotel room, bought a really snazzy dress in a secondhand shop in Milwaukee, put it on, knocked on his door, and bid him a sultry, “Hello, sailor!” Inevitably, I did so just as some of the hotel staff passed us, traversing the corridor. Gary stared at me with his mouth open for what seemed a very long time, and then whooped with laughter, laughing so hard he was banging on the door with his fist, all doubled over. Making my way to the elevator, I joined two of the staff who’d seen me at Gary’s door, collected the expected funny looks from them, and told them breathlessly, “That was Gary Gygax, a man so virile that manly men swoon over him!” I don’t know how they treated him for the rest of his stay, but when I passed him in the exhibit hall on Sunday, he asked me, “WHAT did you tell the hotel staff? They keep looking at me like I’m going to pounce on them!”
I put on an innocent look, and asked, “You mean you’re not?”
And he chortled again.
In short, though we rarely saw each other, we had fun (like two young, immature, carefree kids) on most of those few occasions, and I don’t regret one moment of it.
I DO regret that there won’t be any more of those moments.
Until of course, the day comes where I join Gary in whatever place old Dungeon Masters go when they pass on. I sure hope it’ll have crumbling castles and wicked wizards and dragons swooping low, and beautiful princesses needing to be rescued - - and even more gorgeous babes in full armor galloping up to us.
And being as Gary got there first, I’ll expect him to have my dress ready.

So saith Ed. Who regrets that just attending D&D Experience will probably mean he won’t be able to get time off work again so soon, to go and attend Gary’s funeral. Sigh. Rest in peace, Lord of Greyhawk.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Raelan
Acolyte

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2008 :  04:02:23  Show Profile  Visit Raelan's Homepage Send Raelan a Private Message
Thank you for your reminiscences of the father of our hobby. You brought a bit of life to a man I'd only ever known as a name--nay, a legend.

This is truly a sad day for gamers everywhere.

R.I.P. Gary Gygax

"I am convinced that one of these days I will be able to run a regular game that doesn't fall apart due to scheduling conflicts. I am also convinced that, on this day, hell will freeze over."

Edited by - Raelan on 05 Mar 2008 04:04:11
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2008 :  16:24:09  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Ed,

That "oh so old and rounded" blue dice you rolled for me last year...was rolled by Gary just an hour after. I think that old dice from the old red boxed basic set and now be retired as a relic of the game to be "ooood and ahhhed" at when I tell its story.

/tease....FYI, Gary rolled a 17 and not a stinky 1 !

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 05 Mar 2008 16:24:39
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2008 :  16:58:38  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
Indeed, thanks for sharing the memories.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2008 :  18:04:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
And some more, related questions for my never-ending queue... I was just reading thru Halls of the High King, and I noted this bit in the Helm Horror MC entry:

quote:
Some horrors have been encountered as bandits or adventurers. At least one horror, Aragus, leads a small caravan company operating out of Waterdeep. It communicates by writing, gestures, and (with its underlings) a tapping code. Other horrors have been found in groups, wandering the wilderlands or exploring old ruins. Horrors never seem to willingly fight other horrors.

That of course got me wondering (especially since I've always loved helmed horrors). Is Aragus still around? What are its goals? How is it treated by the folk of Waterdeep? What is its legal status (as in, is it considered a citizen, and if not, what rights does it have?)? Can helmed horrors gain levels or class abilities? And lastly, are there other noteworthy independent helmed horrors out there?

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2008 :  23:07:10  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Ed's answers imply that Larloch MAY have some plots, but if he does, they're so wide-reaching, complicated, and clandestine that virtually no one in the Realms [including the Chosen] knows what they are.

One of his current 'plots' revolves around controlling portals and portal networks throughout Faerűn. He's looking at controlling the gates indirectly. In the sense that he'll be doing a couple of things:-

(snip)

All of this is intended to be done without the hand of Larloch being apparent.

You forgot one other purpose, Sage: to shove everyone onto Abeir when Wizards of the Coast discovers that D&D {sic} 4.New.Coke is a complete fiasco: Mystra knew that Cyric and Shar would kill her on Toril, so she has always protected Larloch, who will repay her by whisking everyone to the long-lost alternate world of Abeir in which Mystra survives, the Spellplague never happens, the chaos lands Shadowfell never falls, and Hasbro keeps the money that everyone spent on 4.New.Coke books.

Hmmm ... considering that Amauntor wound up with the portfolio of "all time" because of a clerical error (the type made by Bob Cratchitt, not the Archbishop of Canterbury), can a similar error occur to replace the insane deity Cyric with Me as the insane god, Cynic?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2008 :  00:40:08  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
BWAA HA HA HA HA
Go to Top of Page

ddporter
Acolyte

26 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2008 :  01:34:30  Show Profile Send ddporter a Private Message
Precisely what I sought, sir--memories of the person, not the legend. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2008 :  05:10:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I found this query for Ed floating in the ether:-
quote:
Originally posted by Ifthir

Greetings to THO and Ed, I had hoped for some guidance as to where I might find more about Nuris Elfward mentioned on page 77 of the Lords of Darkness REF5 accessory. Any information regarding this NPC or where I could more information is welcomed.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2008 :  18:07:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
And as an addendum to my previous helmed horror questions... Can they be created without the use of a corpse and/or the Doom of Bane spell?

Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2008 :  05:39:52  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Salutations Ed, hope you have recovered from the con.

Todays "inquiring minds want to know question" comes from deep below Myth Drannor. Althen Artren would like to map out the tunels of Clan Tarnystone. While I assume that they are behind a great big, top heavy NDA, i was hoping for info like depth below the ground, what building cellars and tombs they touch, what might be lurking around in them, neat stuff like that.

I hope WOTC forgot about this little blurb in their past supplements.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2008 :  23:09:44  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO

More Lore requests for the ever growing pile :)

Could Ed provide information on two 'less well known' NPC's please?

Lharave the Swanmay from the OGBS and Ilsheen the Watchghost who guards Elminsters Back Door (from Dungeon 30).

Also THO do the Knights use El's 'back door' as a quick way in to see the old coot, err Sage of Shadowdale , and/or as a trap/escape route to lure/run away from, ambitious Zhentlings, Thayans, Dragon Cultists etc?

As an addendum to that, are there other mini-dungeons/trap holds around Shadowdale that the Knights use on a (ir)regular basis to confound their foes? (not counting the ones we already know - Grinding Gulf etc, unless you can share a particularly juicy story about their use? )

Thanks and best wishes

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2008 :  21:55:55  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

Hello Ed and THO

More Lore requests for the ever growing pile :)

Could Ed provide information on two 'less well known' NPC's please?

Lharave the Swanmay from the OGBS and Ilsheen the Watchghost who guards Elminsters Back Door (from Dungeon 30).

Also THO do the Knights use El's 'back door' as a quick way in to see the old coot, err Sage of Shadowdale , and/or as a trap/escape route to lure/run away from, ambitious Zhentlings, Thayans, Dragon Cultists etc?

As an addendum to that, are there other mini-dungeons/trap holds around Shadowdale that the Knights use on a (ir)regular basis to confound their foes? (not counting the ones we already know - Grinding Gulf etc, unless you can share a particularly juicy story about their use? )

Thanks and best wishes

Damian

Ooh, I'd certainly wish to see this one answered! (Elminster's Back Door brings back many good... er... evil DMing memories ;)

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2008 :  02:48:30  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. I bring another Realmslore reply from the snowbound Ed of the Greenwood, who this time tackles this query from thom: “And my first question for 2008 is for you and your fellow Knights. I'm (re)starting my campaign using 2nd edition rules (after a TPK and my burning out with 3.X rules and the 4th edition debacle). I've been looking over the stats for beholders and their eye rays (kill, fry, disintegrate ) and I'm wondering just how in the Nine Hells did the Knights manage to whack as many beholders as they did!
Did Ed modify his beholder's eye rays to make them less deadly, or did the Knights have some special tactics or magic going for them? I'm asking because I want to have some answers when my PCs decide to ask sages and other experts in my campaign for any advice before they go up against my eye tyrants. Thanks for any help!”
I furnished my reply back on page 2 of this year’s thread, and promised a “proper answer” from Ed, to which thom replied: “Thanks milady! That's basically what I needed to know. But yes, please add to my question for Ed: could he list some of the alternate powers he substituted for his beholders' eye rays?”
Ed replies:

Certainly. Second edition rules applied at the time, and I used all of the following, plus (less often) many more:

Animate Dead (used on corpses of adventurers and handy skeletons of earlier beholder victims)
Cause Serious Wounds
Hold Monster
Reverse Gravity
Flying Fist (see the FR Adventures hardcover sourcebook)
Paralyze (see the FR Adventures hardcover sourcebook; eye ray equals “touch”)
Missile Mastery (see the FR Adventures hardcover sourcebook)
Shroud of Flame (see the FR Adventures hardcover sourcebook)
Dismind (see the FR Adventures hardcover sourcebook; eye ray equals “touch”)

I was aiming to make beholders into formidable “duke it out” foes for mid-level adventurers (which is what the Knights were, at the time), but not instantly fatal encounters. Of course, I had already taught my players the value of having their characters flee like heck to survive to fight another day, so in cases where they COULD readily flee, I often had "straight" Monster Manual beholders guarding a spot, door, or item they wouldn’t budge from (meaning: once the adventurers realized they were facing a REAL beholder, they could flee for their lives and make it away, but if they got too cocky [“Oh, Ed’s beholders aren’t so hot”], they were in for a nasty surprise).

So saith Ed. He tells truth, and I have the psychic scars to prove it.
I have some real ones, too, but that’s another story . . .
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 11 Mar 2008 02:44:12
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2008 :  03:03:00  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
hello again, Ed and THO...

i'm wondering if Ed's notes on Oreme extend beyond what was written. that would be too silly a question to ask, if his notes on every other subject under Selune are any indication.

so i'll narrow it, tho i'm eager to hear a broader answer as well.

the short version: did you or Eric (i'll ask him too) write a full-blown timeline of the sarrukh liches, or have any particular names or deeds in mind for any of them beyond what we know about the Terraseer?

i was intrigued by the sarrukh liches and their rotating lordship. i'm arranging a timeline of which lich ruled when, and when some of them crumbled to dust. i'm keen on avoiding any contradiction with work that's already been done, but i haven't seen any such work.

the point of this exercise, naturally, is to make it possible to pass blame for various mishaps large and small onto targets from whom PCs may find it difficult to exact vengeance in the usual up-close-and-personal way. and perhaps create tie-ins with Imaskar, whose history is considerably more extensive in my notes (and no doubt yours) than the official version.

thank you for any thoughts you can spare on the subject!

http://xaeyruudh.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2008 :  06:22:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I found this one floating in the ether:-

quote:
Originally posted by dalor_darden

I'm not sure if this is even an appropriate place for this ...but since I can't think of a better place; I'll give it a shot here!

THO

In the very many years you have been playing D&D with Ed Greenwood, I'm sure you have come to know so much about HIS Forgotten Realms. You have also gathered quite a bit of influence on just what Ed's Forgotten Realms really is like...after all, it is the player(s) who make a world truly come alive at the gaming table...just as much as the DM. I'm not sure what all there may be that would prohibit you from answering questions about the "Real" Forgotten Realms, but I thought it would be nice to at least chat about and be able to ask questions about it all.

I guess I'll start!

When playing with a DM that is very detailed in his world, what for you was the most challenging aspect of continuous play in Ed's campaign?

Also, what was the first thing about Ed's campaign world that made you take a step back and say "Hey! That is AWESOME!"

Just a couple for right now...I don't want to spend time for an essay or anything because this might not even be the right place to do this...or may not be something that should be done at all!

Thanks for your time!

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2008 :  06:59:48  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by dalor_darden

this might not even be the right place to do this...or may not be something that should be done at all!

Thanks for your time!

heh... what better place to talk about Ed behind his back than right under his nose? and i think we all relish answers to those questions.

and many thanks indeed, THO.

http://xaeyruudh.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2008 :  15:05:49  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
Here's another question to add to the pile. It sprung up from a discussion about Assassinations over on the WoTC FR boards.

Do the War Wizards and other groups who defend the Obarskyr's rely upon clerical divinations such as Commune to ask various gods if an attempt is going to be made on the monarch's life? If so, which gods would they contact, what exactly would they ask, who would they have asking it and how often would it occur?

Thanks in advance Ed.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2008 :  21:49:03  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

Here's another question to add to the pile. It sprung up from a discussion about Assassinations over on the WoTC FR boards.

Do the War Wizards and other groups who defend the Obarskyr's rely upon clerical divinations such as Commune to ask various gods if an attempt is going to be made on the monarch's life? If so, which gods would they contact, what exactly would they ask, who would they have asking it and how often would it occur?

Thanks in advance Ed.

Ah! but Commune need not be exclusively a divine spell... several prestige classes in 3.5 allow for an arcane caster to choose select spells from any spell list and add it to their repertoire (and vice-versa). Case in point: the Unseen Seer prestige class allows you to gain access to any one divination spell of a level equal to the highest you can cast or lower. A player in my campaign selected "Commune" even though he could cast 9th-level spells (and therefore, could have selected something of a higher level on the cleric or bard list; he still went with Commune 'cause it's too darn good).

There's also Limited Wish which can, I think, duplicate Commune (but I'd have to check on this one).

No matter how they access it, yes, I do believe the War Wizards rely HEAVILY on divinations of all kinds in the daily administration of the Forest Kingdom (Ed often speaks of "mind-reaming", some kind of magical interrogation technique employed by the War Wizards, for one...)
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2008 :  00:37:30  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO,

I was going to make an "Ask THO" thread...but it didn't pan out...sooooo....

Can THO be asked questions here...or do they have to relate to Ed?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000