Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Information on the Forgotten Keep?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2008 :  16:25:31  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met, all.

Does anyone know where I can find information on the "Forgotten Keep" northeast of Arabel in Cormyr? If this has not been developed in Canon, has anyone done any work on it for their own campaign?

Cheers,
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2008 :  18:45:50  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I know I aksed Ed about it quite some time ago and have not recieved any answer yet. Aside from that there has been some confusion as to 'what' this keep might be. Youcan read some ideas on it on page 1 of my scroll on Cormyr here: Looking for all about Cormyr.

Hope you can digg up some new infos as I am highly interested on this as well.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2008 :  02:28:52  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So did you check out the article suggested by Markustay in issue 18 of Dragon? If so, what did you find. I don't have access to any early issues of Dragon. Also, if you tell me roughly when you asked Ed for info, I'll dig it up and add it to a new request.
Cheers,
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."

Edited by - Afetbinttuzani on 09 Jun 2008 02:30:51
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_dk
Acolyte

Denmark
13 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2008 :  05:25:05  Show Profile  Visit Ghost_dk's Homepage Send Ghost_dk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What article would that be?

Sure you can see through a Ghost. Guess I'm the exeption to that rule.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2008 :  07:37:08  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's in DUNGEON (not Dragon) issue #18 from 1989. Markusthay was reffering to a mini adventure in that old issue called 'Ironguard'. Its about an old abandoned wizards dungeon though I personally doubt that this place Ed discribed therein is what he had in mind as the Forgotten Keep.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 09 Jun 2008 07:41:55
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2008 :  09:19:52  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

It's in DUNGEON (not Dragon) issue #18 from 1989. Markusthay was reffering to a mini adventure in that old issue called 'Ironguard'. Its about an old abandoned wizards dungeon though I personally doubt that this place Ed discribed therein is what he had in mind as the Forgotten Keep.

Indeed. As you noted, is a small wizard's underground lair/dungeon dug inside a hill, consisting of only a couple of rooms which are guarded by flying daggers. There's also a nice adventure hook about the black statue guarding the entrance to Irongard.

Also, IIRC Ed had nothing to do with Forgotten Keep, which was developed by one of the TSR designers.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2008 :  13:52:17  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion
Also, IIRC Ed had nothing to do with Forgotten Keep, which was developed by one of the TSR designers.

Was it "developed" or simply placed on the map for future development?
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2008 :  19:28:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was corrected by Ed himself, through THO - still working on the Cormyr map, but two others took precedence in the meantime.
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Helloa agin, all.
This time I speak unto Marusktay, re. matters cartographic and Cormyrean:
Worg Pass is indeed the way through the Stormhorns via High Horn, and the High Heath is the region around Huthduth. The "unreliable pass" is a climb for much of its way, passable only by skilled climbers, not even by pack mules (the origin of the name "Mule Ears" being where the mules laid their ears flat and refused to proceed; a very clever naming on Troy Denning's part). Again, you have the location right.
However, the Forgotten Keep is NOT Ironguard. Ironguard is a tomb complex with almost nothing aboveground to gain any sort of name. The "Forgotten Keep" is a ruined shell of a long-abandoned (except by monsters, heh-heh) castle from the days when Cormyr's rule in the northern lands was tenuous, at best.
As for getting your hands on Ed's original Cormyr map: you and me both! It's somewhere in some of the many boxes in Ed's basement, from his long-ago, exhausting move (one man, a rented cube van, some 40,000 books plus comics plus papers, a bent axle on the van from all the weight of said cargo . . . then Ed collapsed :} ).
And as for the praise for your maps: merely credit where 'tis due, Ed says. You do great work, and good service unto us all (Realms scribes).
love,
THO

And then this later response, when I further persued the question, concerning the relative closeness of the two ruins.

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, everyone.
Markustay, the Forgotten Keep and Ironguard ARE very close to each other, but there’s a good quarter-day of hard travel in between them, unless you know PRECISELY the best route, because there are so many of the trademark knife-edged ridges-with-breakneck-ravines between, separating the two. In other words, to travel horizontally a quite short distance, you have to travel a long way up and down (in many stages, all of them uncomfortable climbing or slithering/falling).

So saith Ed. The Great God Santa Claus of the Realms . . .
(Oops, I blaspheme again. Whip me, someone. Please?)
love to all,
THO

So The Forgotten Keep is just a relic from Cormyr's early days, quite possibly a 'Border Fort' long before the northern part officially became part of Cormyr. It also appears unused (by designers/authors) thus far, and can be whatever a DM needs for his campaign.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2008 :  20:19:00  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that, Markustay.

Since Ed has left it open to development, here´s my IMC version of the Forgotten Keep. Hopefully it will provide a starting point for others to work with. I haven´t developed any diagrams yet.

The Forgotten Keep is a partially ruined and long abandoned castle located around 35 miles, as the crow flies, northeast of Arabel, in Cormyr. The Keep stands in the southern foot hills of the Storm Horns at the edge of a now barren plateau overlooking the Tempest Valley, a traversable, though difficult, pass from the Helmlands through the Storm Horns to the eastern edge of the Farsea Marshes.

The Forgotten Keep is built at the top of a rocky outcrop and consists of an irregularly shaped (following the contours of the outcrop) walled enclosure dominated at its highest point by a square, three story tower. The Keep has a massive subterranean cistern, several underground levels (some of which are collapsed) connected to a natural cave system. The western two thirds of the Keep, comprised of the tower, several lower buildings, the gatehouse and a number of wall segments, is still largely intact, thanks to the Keep's superior stonework. The tower and the walls, however, appear to have been blasted in several places by dragon fire and acid. Curiously, one of the lower buildings and what appears to have been planned as a courtyard pond area are incomplete. Moss/covered piles of quarried and shaped stone lay ready nearby, giving the impression that construction was abruptly halted. The eastern third of the Keep lays in ruins. The buildings and walls in this area appear to have been literally shaken apart not long ago. Given the damage´s recent and oddly localized nature, it likely occurred during the Time of Troubles. In any case, this destroyed section is now an area of dead magic.

The Keep's original purpose and history are not known with certainty, but it's construction and condition offer some clues.

The Keep's pyramid-topped battlements, its intricate stonework—using little or no mortar—, its horseshoe arches and its massive subterranean cistern, complete with a spiral gallery to the bottom, are characteristics of the architecture of the post-Netheril survivor states of Anauria, Asram and Hlondeth (-339 to 329 DR), whose cities were swallowed by the southward expansion of the Anauroch. The builders may have crossed the Storm Horns in search of new lands to settle as they escaped from conflicts between the survivor states and the advancing sands of the Anauroch.

It seems unlikely that the black dragon Thauglor would have permitted the construction of a keep here while the land between the Storm Horns and the Dragonmere was still his domain; although it is possible that the Keep was built during one of the black dragon's multi-year "naps". A sudden waking of the dragon would account for the unfinished building and the Keep's dragon-fire scars. It is also possible, however, that the Keep was built after -205 DR when Iliphar Nelnueve won the Forest Kingdom for the elves by defeating Thauglor. While the Keep's builders would likely have heard of the dragons' defeat, they might not have known that Thauglor was still alive, or that he had explicitly agreed to cede the Forest Kingdom only to the elves. For their part, the elves would likely have objected to the human presence only if it had extended south of the Stonecliff into the forests. If Thauglor had reemerged to discover a non-elven keep under construction near the Storm Horns, he would have been within his right attack it.

Speculation aside, the earliest known records indicate that when Cormyr was established by the Orbaskyrs in 26 DR, the Keep was already long abandoned. In the early days of the Orbaskyr kingdom, the Keep was used as a Purple Dragon border outpost. The sagging and collapsed roof beams of the tower and courtyard buildings date from this time.

Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

Edited by - Afetbinttuzani on 09 Jun 2008 21:01:29
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2008 :  23:20:19  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Afetbinttuzani

Thanks for that, Markustay.

Since Ed has left it open to development, here�s my IMC version of the Forgotten Keep. Hopefully it will provide a starting point for others to work with. I haven�t developed any diagrams yet.

The Forgotten Keep is a partially ruined and long abandoned castle located around 35 miles, as the crow flies, northeast of Arabel, in Cormyr. The Keep stands in the southern foot hills of the Storm Horns at the edge of a now barren plateau overlooking the Tempest Valley, a traversable, though difficult, pass from the Helmlands through the Storm Horns to the eastern edge of the Farsea Marshes.

The Forgotten Keep is built at the top of a rocky outcrop and consists of an irregularly shaped (following the contours of the outcrop) walled enclosure dominated at its highest point by a square, three story tower. The Keep has a massive subterranean cistern, several underground levels (some of which are collapsed) connected to a natural cave system. The western two thirds of the Keep, comprised of the tower, several lower buildings, the gatehouse and a number of wall segments, is still largely intact, thanks to the Keep's superior stonework. The tower and the walls, however, appear to have been blasted in several places by dragon fire and acid. Curiously, one of the lower buildings and what appears to have been planned as a courtyard pond area are incomplete. Moss/covered piles of quarried and shaped stone lay ready nearby, giving the impression that construction was abruptly halted. The eastern third of the Keep lays in ruins. The buildings and walls in this area appear to have been literally shaken apart not long ago. Given the damage�s recent and oddly localized nature, it likely occurred during the Time of Troubles. In any case, this destroyed section is now an area of dead magic.

The Keep's original purpose and history are not known with certainty, but it's construction and condition offer some clues.

The Keep's pyramid-topped battlements, its intricate stonework�using little or no mortar�, its horseshoe arches and its massive subterranean cistern, complete with a spiral gallery to the bottom, are characteristics of the architecture of the post-Netheril survivor states of Anauria, Asram and Hlondeth (-339 to 329 DR), whose cities were swallowed by the southward expansion of the Anauroch. The builders may have crossed the Storm Horns in search of new lands to settle as they escaped from conflicts between the survivor states and the advancing sands of the Anauroch.

It seems unlikely that the black dragon Thauglor would have permitted the construction of a keep here while the land between the Storm Horns and the Dragonmere was still his domain; although it is possible that the Keep was built during one of the black dragon's multi-year "naps". A sudden waking of the dragon would account for the unfinished building and the Keep's dragon-fire scars. It is also possible, however, that the Keep was built after -205 DR when Iliphar Nelnueve won the Forest Kingdom for the elves by defeating Thauglor. While the Keep's builders would likely have heard of the dragons' defeat, they might not have known that Thauglor was still alive, or that he had explicitly agreed to cede the Forest Kingdom only to the elves. For their part, the elves would likely have objected to the human presence only if it had extended south of the Stonecliff into the forests. If Thauglor had reemerged to discover a non-elven keep under construction near the Storm Horns, he would have been within his right attack it.

Speculation aside, the earliest known records indicate that when Cormyr was established by the Orbaskyrs in 26 DR, the Keep was already long abandoned. In the early days of the Orbaskyr kingdom, the Keep was used as a Purple Dragon border outpost. The sagging and collapsed roof beams of the tower and courtyard buildings date from this time.

Afet

All of your ideas are good and believable. :)

You also have the possibility of Forgotten Keep having been a Netherese "oupost" or "border fort" (similar to Blister, in the Thunder Peaks, or the one in the Stonelands -- see Dungeon #88 for details on both) which was abandoded.

Another option is to use the short-lived kingdom of Orva (which was situated where the Vast Swamp lies today), but it is a bit far-fetched.

I would personally go with a small Netherese keep that is connected to the "portal network" which is detailed in Dungeon #88 (in the adventure 'Door to Everywhere'). That would be an easy feat to lure PCs into further adventures (some of the them half-across the world). I would probably use a hook with increased orc raids north of Arabel, and worried officials about the "next Doom come to visit Cormyr". :)

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2008 :  23:44:34  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You also have the possibility of Forgotten Keep having been a Netherese "oupost" or "border fort" (similar to Blister, in the Thunder Peaks, or the one in the Stonelands -- see Dungeon #88 for details on both) which was abandoded.

Another option is to use the short-lived kingdom of Orva (which was situated where the Vast Swamp lies today), but it is a bit far-fetched.

I would personally go with a small Netherese keep that is connected to the "portal network" which is detailed in Dungeon #88 (in the adventure 'Door to Everywhere'). That would be an easy feat to lure PCs into further adventures (some of the them half-across the world). I would probably use a hook with increased orc raids north of Arabel, and worried officials about the "next Doom come to visit Cormyr". :)

The Dungeon article sounds interesting but, unfortunately, I have no access to back issues of Dungeon. But, coincidentally, I was in fact planning to put a portal in the dungeons of the Forgotten Keep as a part of a portal network set up by the Wizard Ashemmi of Darkhold to allow her agent, Asbarode, to move quickly about the Heartland. The PCs will discover that the Forgotten Keep is to be used as a staging point in a plan to destabilize Arabel.
Cheers,
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2008 :  00:08:46  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Afetbinttuzani

quote:

The Dungeon article sounds interesting but, unfortunately, I have no access to back issues of Dungeon. But, coincidentally, I was in fact planning to put a portal in the dungeons of the Forgotten Keep as a part of a portal network set up by the Wizard Ashemmi of Darkhold to allow her agent, Asbarode, to move quickly about the Heartland. The PCs will discover that the Forgotten Keep is to be used as a staging point in a plan to destabilize Arabel.
Cheers,
Afet

Well, you could always try NobleKnight or eBay... or Paizo -- they all have back issues on sale, and I highly recommend that particular adventure as it allows you to run an "All Around the Realms"-type of campaign. Asbarode... ah, good times, good times! :) You probably need a reason why War Wizards haven't picked on any info about that portal, so I wouldn't use it as a staging point for a full-scale assault but rather as an "operation HQ" for Ashemmi's spies. Of course, I would throw in some Crown/War Wizard double spies who are feeding Ashemmi wrong information and not so keen on having "meddling" adventurers come and ruin their operation. :)

Additionally, you could have the lich Asbaeron (IIRC) take interest in Ashemmi's schemes (and consequently, the PCs).

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000