Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2007 :  01:51:29  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message
Sad news. My condolences Ed. These words and the compassion are heartfelt.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Aelryn
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2007 :  02:13:46  Show Profile  Visit Aelryn's Homepage Send Aelryn a Private Message
My condolences and deepest sympathies. It's never easy to lose a loved one.

"Even when our eyes are closed, there's a whole world out there, that lives outside ourselves and our dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2007 :  02:59:11  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
Hello, all.
I bring some sad news: Ed's father died suddenly yesterday. Ed is calmer than anyone I've yet seen under these circumstances (he and his father were very close), but his father was a longtime university professor, chorister who sang in cathedrals all over the world, and one of NORAD's top radar men during the Cold War, so the funeral (next weekend) is likely to be a big affair, and the usual family matters will keep Ed occupied at least for this coming week.

I've lost my own father suddenly (about 5 years ago), so I know how rough it can be. I'm sending Ed my deepest condolences!

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 13 Nov 2007 03:00:47
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2007 :  03:20:49  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
I am sorry for your loss.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2007 :  04:09:46  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
I'm going to the funeral. I saw Ed's dad once, though I didn't really meet him (I've always wondered if Ed based Khelben on him, before TSR artists and writers started making him their own). Candlekeep should be there, one person at least. I won't bother Ed, but I hope he sees me and so knows word has spread and how we feel about him. Having heard Ed orate before, I expect he'll deliver a stirring eulogy. If he hadn't been a game designer and fantasy writer and librarian, he would have made a good preacher. The nice, down to earth sort (er, perhaps too down to earth). Anyway, I'll be there. Being SO glad it isn't Ed's funeral. We need him too much. (Any scribes who want directions, ask here.)
BB
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2007 :  17:54:01  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message
I want to send my condolences to Ed, too. Very sad news.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2007 :  19:43:18  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message
My condolences, also. We all are thinking of you, Ed!

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page

A Gavel
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2007 :  04:16:12  Show Profile  Visit A Gavel's Homepage Send A Gavel a Private Message
I, too, would like to extend my sympathies to Ed and his family. I DID meet his father once, at an academic gathering. A larger, older version of Ed (Ed's father had the shoulders and arms of a football player in full padding, only his were "just him," not padding). Ed once told me he'd cut metal with tin snips in his youth, and I can believe it, from his handshake. Ed got his whimsical, amiable sense of humour from his Dad, so for me he doesn't work as the model for Khelben at all.
By the way, Ed's dad was a published writer (academic stuff and a little book called STAND UP, SPEAK OUT! about public speaking, that he co-wrote with Ed's mom, who has written quite a few childrens' and teens' books about pioneer days ("settler" days for Americans), some of them prize-winning. Not to mention THE KID'S BOOK OF CANADA.
Ed's deceased (and much older) cousin, W.G. Hardy, was once a bestselling "literary" novelist in Canada, as well as the first Chancellor of the Univeristy of Alberta, and the author of ALBERTA: A BICENTENNIAL HISTORY.
So Ed comes from a talented literary family . . .
Go to Top of Page

A Publishing Lackey
Seeker

74 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2007 :  04:21:25  Show Profile  Visit A Publishing Lackey's Homepage Send A Publishing Lackey a Private Message
Agreed, A Gavel. I know that some of Canada's female childrens' writers (such as Bernice Thurman Hunter, and I think Jean Little, too) used to meet in Ed's parents' dining room once a week or every few weeks (when Ed was living there as a teenager). I'd give a lot to have heard the conversation around the Greenwood dinner table some nights, because the whole clan seems to have been bright, intelligent, well-educated, and creative. One of Ed's sisters, plus his parents, used to troop off to England every summer to sing in cathedrals. While Ed, of course, stayed home to work at the library and churn out endless Realmslore and Realms novels for us all.
I feel for your loss, Ed, and suspect that The Hooded One's silences are because she's rallying around helping, too.
Come back to us when you can, both of you. We need you to keep our dreams bright!
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2007 :  04:25:36  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Oh, well said!
Ed, my prayers and sympathies. I suspect your mom needs you very much, right now. Come back to us when you can. (I suspect Wizards of the Coast, Tor Books, Solaris, and your various other publishers are hoping that'll be soon.)
Rest and take a break if you feel the need. Please. You've laid golden eggs so fast for so long that you deserve a vacation, and I want you around for decades longer to, uh, lay a lot more (KNEW that metaphor was gonna get me in trouble).
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2007 :  04:40:04  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
LOL! I needed a laugh. I'm sure I won't be laughing Friday, at the funeral. A question for scribes (or Ed or THO when they're back): I heard a rumour that Ed was seen buying lots of D&D minis AND dice at Pentacon.
Is this true? Is Ed up to something nefarious? Creating a new game? Or just trying to get some FR minis (as I doubt Wizards sent him a single figure, and he's often complained all of his local gaming stores went out of business)?
I don't mean to pry, Ed. I'm just curious; if it's none of my business, tell me so and I won't be upset.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2007 :  04:53:04  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
Ed, all of us love you here at the 'Keep and abroad. You and your family (blood or otherwise) means a great deal to all of us readers of your work. For with out them, we wouldn't have you. We wouldn't have a world which a family let a crazy kid go and talk to a very old, powerful and dirty old man and a few sisters, a handful of decaying liches and the occasional romp in the Tavern. A place where each of us here can escape with an ease of a book, a small group of friends or just a pen, few pieces of paper and create our own person.

Ed, you are deep in my thoughts, wishes and prayers to all that is in our world and the world you made for us, by the family you are of.

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2007 :  04:57:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Thank you, everyone, for the lovely posts. Neriandal-Freit, you just made me cry again, but you did it in the nicest way.
Blueblade, Ed was indeed buying lots of dice and minis at Pentacon. Here's why: he's introducing the young kids of a local bank teller in the village to D&D (through her), and giving them the dice they need and a few figs, PLUS, yes, picking up the FR figs for himself, plus the figs for monsters (such as the Gauth and the Deep Dragon) that he created for the game. I believe his father used to amusedly tell his friends that his son had "really made it," after Ed got one of those Ed-as-Elminster special minis at a GenCon.
Which awakens a question in me for all scribes: how many special one-off minis have there been?
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2007 :  05:56:11  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message
quote:

Which awakens a question in me for all scribes: how many special one-off minis have there been?
love,
THO

Maxminis database has a list of them all, but it's not working right now (the promo and "other" sections anyway) But I did find a list of the promo figures:
D&Dc01 - Stalwart Paladin - RPGA Jan 04
D&Dc02 - Daring Rogue - RPGA Feb 04
D&Dc03 - Cleric of Nerull - RPGA March 04
D&Dc04 - Daleland Militia - RPGA May 04
D&Dc05 - Cleric of Lathander - RPGA Apr 04
D&Dc06 - Duergar Warrior - RPGA June 04
D&Dc07 - Hobgoblin Sergeant - RPGA July 04
D&Dc08 - Bugbear Footpad - RPGA Aug 04
D&Dc09 - Displacer Serpent - RPGA Sept 04
D&Dc10 - Crucian
D&Dc11 - Bladebearer Hobgoblin - RPGA Oct 04
D&Dc12 - Sahuagin Ranger - RPGA Nov 04
D&Dc13 - Orc Sergeant - RPGA Dec 04
D&Dc14 - Kobold Champion - Aberrations Pre Release
D&Dc15 - Gnoll - RPGA Jan 05
D&Dc16 - Iron Cobra - RPGA Feb 05
D&Dc17 - Burning Skeleton - RPGA March 05
D&Dc17 - Longtooth Barbarian - RPGA March 05
D&Dc18 - Undying Soldier - RPGA Apr 05
D&Dc19 - Bullywug Thug - RPGA May 05
D&Dc20 - Renegade Warlock - RPGA June 05
D&Dc21 - Forest Troll - RPGA July 05
D&Dc22 - Large Air Elemental - Angelfire Pre Release
D&Dc23 - Hobgoblin Impaler - RPGA Aug 05
D&Dc24 - Longstrider Ranger - RPGA Sep 05
D&Dc25 - Bugbear Champion of Erythnul - RPGA Oct 05
DL9/04 - Mina, Dark Cleric - Weis Book Tour 04
Ed Con 2005 - Elminster - Gen Con 05
FR10/04 - Guenhwyvar - Salvatore book tour Oct 04
Game Day - Mountain Orc - D&D 30th Anniversary
GenCon1 - Elf Ranger (CG) - Gen Con 03
GenCon1- Elf Ranger (CE) - Gen Con 03
GenCon1 - Half-Illithid Lizardfolk - Gen Con 04
GenCon1 - Guenhwyvar - Gen Con 05
GenCon2 - Lizardfolk - Gen Con 03
GenCon2 - Rhek - Gen Con 04
GenCon2 - Dark Naga - Gen Con 05
GenCon3 - Orc Archer - Gen Con 03
GenCon3 - Warforged Hero - Gen Con 04
GMR1 - Dread Guard - RPGA GM Reward - Gen Con 04
GMR3 - Mad Slasher - RPGA GM Reward - Gen Con
GMR4 - Grim Necromancer - RPGA GM Reward -- Gen Con
GMR5 - Weretiger - RPGA GM Reward -- Gencon
KSD - Silver Dragon - Knights of the Silver Dragon
Origins 1 - Dwarf Axefighter - Origins 03 Promo
Origins 1 - Scorpion Clan Drow Fighter - Origins 05 Promo
PLR 1 - Drow Rogue - RPGA Player Reward - Gen Con 04
Release - Zhentarim Fighter - Archfiends Pre Release
SDCC1 - Dwarf Mercenary - Comic Con San Diego 2005
WF2004 - Orc Raider -Winter Fantasy 04
Cultist of the Dragon - GAMA 04
Warforged Fighter - Eberron Pre Order
Yuan-Ti Halfblood - PC Gamer Promo
Dragonblade Ninja - Salute 05 Game Con

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2007 :  06:05:03  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message
Gods, I just now read the terrible news. Give Ed my deepest sympathy. I know he knows it, but he is well loved by all of us. My heart goes out to him.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2007 :  07:20:12  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message
My condolences to Ed and his family. . .you're in my thoughts. . .

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

Iliana N-letur
Acolyte

Netherlands
13 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2007 :  12:52:11  Show Profile  Visit Iliana N-letur's Homepage Send Iliana N-letur a Private Message
Leaves fall
What are?
friends for.

my sincerest condolences.

A small (4'9") moon elf, with odd pale golden hair and startling violet eyes. See her for the first time, there's fair bit of Faerie 'fascinate' involved.
A slightly curved sword and pseudo dragon familiar are never far away.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2007 :  01:57:39  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Thanks very much for that list, Xysma. Most of the figs seem to have been subsequently released as part of the regular collectibles. I know Ed has a lot of the Silver Dragons (unless he gave them away), because Lezlie Samuel and Mary-Elizabeth Allen kept coming up to him and shoving one figure at a time down his shirt-front (part of a private joke about giving Ed breasts impressive enough that a staff artist could paint him to put on an FR novel book cover . . . yes, well, I'm sure it seemed funnier at the time), but I'm not so sure about the Elminster fig. He probably has one (yes, one).
Thanks to everyone for your condolences and good wishes. Please keep the questions coming, too; it'll give Ed something to do when he finally gets the Knights novel and that 4e FR announced work out of the way, and can breathe again.
I asked him how he felt last night, and he gave me a crooked smile and said, "Well, thank goodness I only had one dad to lose." He tells me he'll be okay, though, and thanks to everyone for thinking of him.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2007 :  02:09:16  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
Apologies for not chiming in sooner, but I feel greatly for Ed and wish him the best. He and his family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2007 :  02:22:51  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
quote:

Thanks very much for that list, Xysma. Most of the figs seem to have been subsequently released as part of the regular collectibles. I know Ed has a lot of the Silver Dragons (unless he gave them away), because Lezlie Samuel and Mary-Elizabeth Allen kept coming up to him and shoving one figure at a time down his shirt-front (part of a private joke about giving Ed breasts impressive enough that a staff artist could paint him to put on an FR novel book cover . . . yes, well, I'm sure it seemed funnier at the time), but I'm not so sure about the Elminster fig. He probably has one (yes, one).
Thanks to everyone for your condolences and good wishes. Please keep the questions coming, too; it'll give Ed something to do when he finally gets the Knights novel and that 4e FR announced work out of the way, and can breathe again.
I asked him how he felt last night, and he gave me a crooked smile and said, "Well, thank goodness I only had one dad to lose." He tells me he'll be okay, though, and thanks to everyone for thinking of him.
love to all,
THO

Although not the most lovely way of looking at someone we loose, it's a interesting an I believe a good way of looking at someone like that. Never thought of it in that manner...

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

Lauzoril
Seeker

Finland
71 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2007 :  09:41:11  Show Profile  Visit Lauzoril's Homepage Send Lauzoril a Private Message
My apologies too for not seeing this sooner. So much to do and so little time. My condolences to you Ed and your family.

"Death to the enemies of Bane."
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2007 :  15:21:42  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
N-F, that comment sounds like Ed. In pain but being wry about it. I'm sure I'll see him weeping (but trying not to) at the funeral; he and his father were close friends, not just dad and son. Yet I don't want to dwell on this; the man deserves some privacy. Instead, I'll do what THO suggested, and post another Realms question:

In the Realms of "now," pre-Spellplague, what steps is Vangey (and/or Laspeera and anyone else in the War Wizards) taking to watch for traitors in the ranks? The first two Knights books have shown us traitors to the realm high up in the War Wizards, one of whom got revealed VERY dramatically (in front of the entire Court and all the Suzailans who could get in, plus a visiting diplomat). I guess what I'm asking is: what new internal security policies or procedures resulted from that?

I'm guessing Ed may not get to this for a while, for the reasons we all know. So . . . Garen Thal?
Thanks
BB

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2007 :  21:48:22  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Well met.

Ed, do gods in Realmspace get benefits from the worship of people who are drugged or enchanted into worshipping them?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2007 :  03:11:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ed tells me he received a box from Wizards today (between deliveries of flowers) that contained, among other things, his author's copies of THE ANNOTATED ELMINSTER. According to Ed, it looks "Gorgeous."
Wizards sent "a beautiful" arrangement of flowers, too.
Ed also sent this message:

I want to thank all of you for your love and support. I intend to climb right back into the saddle just as soon as I can, but my replies here at Candlekeep may be both brief and infrequent for a while, I'm afraid. My father's passing has occurred at a very bad time for scheduling of both the last Knights novel and 4e FR work, and I MUST put them first, for all our sakes, the moment I can really get back behind a keyboard. (Yes, I wrote some stuff today, in a few snatched moments, just to try to calm myself by fooling myself that I felt "normal." Unfortunately, as I get older I don't fool as easily. :} )
So please forgive me, and don't stop posting those lore queries. THO will send them on to me no matter where and how they reach her, and I will get to them. Eventually.
The doorbell is ringing again, now, so I must go . . .

So saith Ed. Who will of course be silent tomorrow (as will I).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2007 :  08:24:40  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message
I just read the sad news. My condolences to Ed and his family, as well.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2007 :  14:48:18  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade
In the Realms of "now," pre-Spellplague, what steps is Vangey (and/or Laspeera and anyone else in the War Wizards) taking to watch for traitors in the ranks? The first two Knights books have shown us traitors to the realm high up in the War Wizards, one of whom got revealed VERY dramatically (in front of the entire Court and all the Suzailans who could get in, plus a visiting diplomat). I guess what I'm asking is: what new internal security policies or procedures resulted from that?

I'm guessing Ed may not get to this for a while, for the reasons we all know. So . . . Garen Thal?
Ed is, of course, more qualified to answer this question fully, but this my understanding of things (without spoiling any secrets):

At the time of the Knights book, Vangerdahast is swiftly learning that he is minding too many stews, what with the War Wizards, the Council of Mages (that body of arcane spellcasters that advises the Crown on matters magical), his personal service to the Obarskyrs, and his general protection of Cormyr. The man has far too many hats, and, frankly, isn't the sort of wizard that enjoys wearing any.

A great many wizards were cowed into submission or flight when Vangerdahast came to power in 1306DR (there is a reason his epithet is Thunderspells), but by 1348DR, there is a new generation of War Wizards, not all of which understand his powers, planning and foresight, and a very few of which actually do understand that his abilities may be a bit... overblown.

At present (that is, in the Knights novels), the only War Wizard Vangerdahast can trust is Laspeera. For everyone else, there are a number of tactics Vangey uses to keep order:
-Mind-reams of suspected traitors
-Random scrying
-Triggered scrying and magical "recording" (where certain words, phrases or topics set off the appropriate magic). Vangerdahast learned recently that he just can't handle multiple scrying sources activating all at once, so he's taken to magically preserving certain suspected conversations rather than directly observing them.
-Control of access magic items: other than war wizard cloaks and a handful of other items, things like wands and potions must be accounted for both before and after assignments.

Note that these tales take place before the stories of Vangerdahast taking blood from each War Wizard in order to place a geas on them. And there is a reason for such legends...
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2007 :  18:53:32  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

At the time of the Knights book, Vangerdahast is swiftly learning that he is minding too many stews, what with the War Wizards, the Council of Mages (that body of arcane spellcasters that advises the Crown on matters magical), his personal service to the Obarskyrs, and his general protection of Cormyr. The man has far too many hats, and, frankly, isn't the sort of wizard that enjoys wearing any.

This might seem like an impertinent question, Garen, but I have to ask:

If he doesn't like "wearing any hats", then why didn't he step down from the job? Surely he must enjoy at least some of the hats he wears...

PS: I can't wait to pick up the Annotated Elminster book.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 16 Nov 2007 18:54:49
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2007 :  18:58:45  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

This might seem like an impertinent question, Garen, but I have to ask:

If he doesn't like "wearing any hats", then why didn't he step down from the job? Surely he must enjoy at least some of the hats he wears...

PS: I can't wait to pick up the Annotated Elminster book.

My little "hats" quip had to do with the Old Snoops choice of headgear rather than his willingness to take on too many jobs. It's literal hats he dislikes.

As for his metaphorical hats, Vangerdahast is firmly convinced that he is the only one intelligent, capable and loyal enough to do any of the jobs that he undertakes. No one else can be trusted, or (if trusted) trusted to do it right. In later years, he as disabused of this notion to a small degree, but part of Vangerdahast's predicament is his hubris. He has always considered himself capable of sitting at the "grown-ups' table," his humbling by Khelben/Manshoon/Elminster notwithstanding.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2007 :  19:28:12  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Well met, all!

Lady Hooded One, about a year ago I asked an exhaustive set of questions for Ed concerning whether or not Toril had anything comparable to the occult information network which existed in Earth's Hyborian Age, and which may be accessed in the Conan RPG through the Sorcerous News spells. I would like to ask another question which Ed may add onto the creaking framework of my other questions, or which he may answer separately: is it possible to eavesdrop on sending, message and such-like spells using arcane magic? Can one intercept such a transmission and alter it with different information? If so, how would it most likely be done?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Akeri Rualuavain
Seeker

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2007 :  22:33:04  Show Profile  Visit Akeri Rualuavain's Homepage Send Akeri Rualuavain a Private Message
I have a few question too.

I'm a radio animator for a French local radio community, and my programs is on all the RPG world. My next hour, on thuesday will be on the forgotten realms, and I would be so happy if you could agree to answer those questions.

Where did the idea of the realm start ?
How how choose the autors ?
How do you chose your fellow players ?
When did you start playing RPG ?
Do you have any anectode funny about games in forgotten realms ?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000