Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2007 :  00:14:48  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal
My little "hats" quip had to do with the Old Snoops choice of headgear rather than his willingness to take on too many jobs. It's literal hats he dislikes.

Oh, I see.

quote:
As for his metaphorical hats, Vangerdahast is firmly convinced that he is the only one intelligent, capable and loyal enough to do any of the jobs that he undertakes. No one else can be trusted, or (if trusted) trusted to do it right. In later years, he as disabused of this notion to a small degree, but part of Vangerdahast's predicament is his hubris. He has always considered himself capable of sitting at the "grown-ups' table," his humbling by Khelben/Manshoon/Elminster notwithstanding.

Heh, that was a great scene! And thanks for the answer.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2007 :  00:30:07  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
As long as we have permission from "the Wood" to continue the deluge of questions:

Where in the Stonelands was the fortress of the Eldreth Veluuthra?

Where in the Hullack forest was the household of House Starym?

I might have asked this already, but did the Eternal Srinnala come from you or was that
all Steven's idea? Do you have anything you can share?

Are you able to expound at all on the goals of the Pentad? I missed the reference in the old grey box (sold a lot of my old stuff) and know nothing outside Blackstaff.

Are there any hidden gems that you can share on the Spiderhaunt Woods or the Desertmouth Mts?
There seems to be a big lack of detail (at least nothing I have seen) on these 2 physical features.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2007 :  00:41:29  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
It's about Flamsterd, the sage of the Moonshaes. I vaguely remember his various mentions,
What, in either official WotC canon or Ed's opinion, are Flamsterd's whereabouts, doings, and condition (i.e. alive? ) right now, Realmstime?
Thanks!
Blueblade

I asked a similar question a few years ago on the Realms mailing list

you can find Ed's answer here
(can someone clever clean this link up please?)

I too would love an update on Flamsterd, he is one of my 'really interesting Realms characters who we know so little about' along with Jhaele Silvermane, The Talonmists, Duman Kiriag (esp. his time with the Six Splendid Swords), Iyarim (Irongard Dungeon 18), Halfling Inc, Tzin Tzummer, The Ravenmaster, Brian the Swordmaster, Thurbal (Warden of Shadowdale) among many many others

am wondering if we prod enough we might get to hear some more?

Cheers

Damian
ps best wishes to Ed and family during this sad time

Mod edit: Big link made all nice and pretty.

Thanks Wooley

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 17 Nov 2007 22:25:46
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2007 :  18:17:47  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Akeri Rualuavain

I have a few question too.

I'm a radio animator for a French local radio community, and my programs is on all the RPG world. My next hour, on thuesday will be on the forgotten realms, and I would be so happy if you could agree to answer those questions.

Where did the idea of the realm start ?
How how choose the autors ?
How do you chose your fellow players ?
When did you start playing RPG ?
Do you have any anectode funny about games in forgotten realms ?

Ed answered the first question a year or two ago. He wrote stories about what became "the Forgotten Realms" for many years before D&D was first created, and the milieu lent itself readily to gaming. Please check Ed's answers from 2006 and earlier for all the details.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Akeri Rualuavain
Seeker

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2007 :  21:42:03  Show Profile  Visit Akeri Rualuavain's Homepage Send Akeri Rualuavain a Private Message
thank you very much
Go to Top of Page

A Publishing Lackey
Seeker

74 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2007 :  22:35:32  Show Profile  Visit A Publishing Lackey's Homepage Send A Publishing Lackey a Private Message
Hello, fellow scribes.
I attended Ed's father's funeral yesterday, and am posting this largely because Ed wanted everyone to know how touched he was by the scribes who came, how astonished he was at the number of elderly "just plain folks" who told him they read and enjoyed his books (I myself overheard a lady of granny age asking him why he was "backing off" on the sex scenes, and not pleasing her with "telling it ALL"), and how touched he was by the flowers that Wizards of the Coast sent to the Greenwood family home.
The funeral was the funniest, nicest funeral I have ever attended. Not that it wasn't weeping-sad at points, but because Ed's dad was a punster and told jokes and was generally a great guy, and there were lots of stories told about him and bad puns and everyone laughing.
Except when Ed gave the eulogy. The minister was a very nice guy and a friend of Ed's dad and did a great job, but when Ed was behind the lectern delivering his eulogy, I think everyone there thought: here's the REAL minister.
I liked Ed as a person before.
I admired him as a world-builder, and enjoyed his novels, and thought of him as a great guy for posting Realmslore at Candlekeep so often and in such a nice way.
But now I am in awe of him. Really.
He loved his father, and he wanted to share why with everyone, and why his father's life should matter to anyone else in the world - - and he accomplished that. WHAT a masterpiece.
If he's late with the last Knights book, or 4e FR for that matter, I don't mind in the slightest. I heard Ed dramatically delivering probably his finest piece of writing, and I cried even though I'd never really met Ed's father.
Ed's whole family is talented. One of his sisters had written a poem years earlier that her husband read, Ed's brother did the old Stanley Holloway monologue "The Return of Albert" because it was a favourite of the deceased, and apparently the whole family sings, too (there were people in the choir who'd flown in from Oxford to be part of the funeral because they'd sung with Ed's parents in the cathedral there). I heard Ed belting out the hymns, and talked with him afterwards. A whole bunch of local folks and old friends and even some old girlfriends did, too - - and when your ex-girlfriends and some of your former babysitters come to your father's funeral, you must be someone special.
It is now my fervent hope that Ed will get past this, and happy again, and churning out Realms novels and game books for us all. If he has to stay silent here at the Keep to meet his deadlines, so be it.
WHAT a eulogy. THO, I know it will lose a lot without Ed's voice, but any chance of (eventually, when time has passed) getting the text of it to post here? Its content makes it universal rather than something private, in my opinion. (I might need it, some day, too, to serve as a model to write the eulogy for someone dear to me.)
I never thought I'd be greatly entertained at a funeral.
Ed, you are truly a giant.

Edit: Sorry to everyone about initially posting "Ed's funeral" rather than "Ed's father's funeral." Including Ed, who might just hope to still be alive to read this mistake. Yeesh. Mea maximum culpa.

Edited by - A Publishing Lackey on 18 Nov 2007 16:08:39
Go to Top of Page

Akeri Rualuavain
Seeker

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2007 :  22:51:27  Show Profile  Visit Akeri Rualuavain's Homepage Send Akeri Rualuavain a Private Message
My sympathie

Edited by - Akeri Rualuavain on 18 Nov 2007 19:35:30
Go to Top of Page

Sage of Stars
Seeker

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2007 :  23:15:41  Show Profile  Visit Sage of Stars's Homepage Send Sage of Stars a Private Message
I attended the funeral, too.
Nice post, PL. I couldn't have put it better. A very impressive eulogy, and by far the most fun funeral I've ever known. Ed's father must have been a really fun guy. He once gave the minister a cartoon with a maniacal, grimacing Hulk-like face, that he'd coloured in the eyes of red, that bore the legend (under this snarling face): "We Welcome Your Problems With ENTHUSIASM."
I, too, hope Ed is soon back with us. I believe some of his players came to the funeral, and some attended visitations at the funeral home on earlier days, but I didn't get the chance to talk to any of them, and there was NO WAY I was going to talk to any of the family about something like Ed's writing plans at the funeral.
Irreverent comment: boy, does Ed's family include some dynamite knockouts of women. I mean STUNNING. I wonder whether some of his sexier female characters are based on them?
I, too, could listen to Ed orate all day.
Has anyone seen THE ANNOTATED ELMINSTER in the stores yet? Or DARK LORD?
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2007 :  01:43:12  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
I've been watching and asking for both books, but haven't seen anything yet. As for the Greenwood family babes, full agreement. Stunning, better than many models I see, et cetera. Now is probably NOT the right time to ask Ed if he's based any Realms characters on any of them, but I'm curious, too.
Full agreement, too, with everyone who praised Ed's eulogy and his performance delivering it. I was sitting at the back, among the two hundred or so later arrivers (the church looked full when I got there, with extra seats being wheeled into place), and people who'd been laughing at all the puns started to sob and weep when Ed got into his stride.
Anyone who's ever attended a GenCon in his Elminster Speaks days knows that Ed is a performer; he ad-libbed in-character answers as the Old Mage for two hours straight in those days. This was only a few minutes long, but it hit everyone hard with its simple, down-to-earth grief. Magnificent.
I've been to lots of rock concerts over the years, and have a handful of treasured "I was there!" moments. Ed's eulogy shoved them all aside in an instant. I'll never forget it, and yes, I WAS THERE.
Peace to the Greenwoods - - and Ed, come back and talk Realms with us as soon as you can, hear?
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2007 :  11:47:58  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Quick question about the Endless Stair module, am wondering if the Good Lady THO might know?

Is the Endless Stair part of Ed's game or did he just make it up for the module? If 'real' whereabouts in the Realms is it? Did the Knights/Crazedventurers ever explore (and do you have any clack about what happened?). Oh and finally in the credits as well as the regular players, Grimwald gets a mention - who is Grimwald?

Thanks

Damian
ps just realised its several quick questions :)

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2007 :  14:49:29  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by A Publishing Lackey

Hello, fellow scribes.
I attended Ed's funeral yesterday.

Please don't do that again. I almost got a heart attack.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2007 :  16:21:17  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ahem, yes, Lackey. That one stopped me cold for a moment, too. Yet we're all human, and the typing fingers or the ol' brain slips for a moment, and . . .
Never mind. On with things.
Damian, good to see posts from you after so long! I can tell you that The Endless Stair was Ed's "try out" module for TSR (as in: Ed, we need you to write lots of Realms stuff for us, so here's how we do modules. Try it, and we'll learn if you can write a module, while you learn how to do one in a week or so, okay?), so the stair was invented by Ed just for the module - - and later swiped by other TSR designers for use in the Time of Troubles, as "celestial stairways." So, no, it wasn't something the Crazed Venturers or the Knights ever explored in play. Ed DID have quite a few small, unguarded invisible stairs left behind from ruins that had fallen away from them, all over the Realms, that open into gates now floating in mid-air, which is a cool wrinkle any DM can use.
And Grimwald was an invented scapegoat among us, a "gremlin" we could blame for all manner of screwups and outrageous behaviour, who later made it into the published Realms as part of the Arcane Brotherhood. He was the only character Ed ever refused Bob Salvatore the use of, in the first few Drizzt books, because of what he meant to us, his gaming group. So thanking Grimwald was really thanking fate and our shared pratfalls.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2007 :  16:27:29  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
Aha. Did Grimwald ever feature in any stories in THE CAMPAIGN HACK?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2007 :  16:34:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Yes. And was invoked or alluded to in many more.

For scribes not familiar with it, THE CAMPAIGN HACK was a small magazine, 8.5" x 11" pages photocopied and stapled together, of art, poetry, reviews, campaign musings, and fiction put together by one of Ed's longtime players, Andrew Dewar (with brief guest editorships by Victor Selby and Ed Greenwood), that almost everyone in that small circle of friends contributed to. It lasted for well over a hundred issues, contains a lot of whimsical short stories (some of them homages to Cthulhu, by way of P.G. Wodehouse and various childrens' writers) and vintage Realmslore (later handed to TSR for use in "building" the published Realms), and of course is a great collectors' item. Some of the illustrations that appear in THE ANNOTATED ELMINSTER were first drawn by Ed for inclusion in the HACK.
I wish it was still being published. And for that matter, I wish a lot more so-called professional magazines were more like the HACK than the soulless, advert-filled slick empty things they have become.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2007 :  19:31:02  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
My sympathies for Ed as well, in this difficult time.

As he wants to get back on the horse though, I'll ask my two questions about the Mythology of the Realms. Are there any truly famous beasts/monsters in the Realms, and are there any truly famous love stories, tragic or otherwise, in the Realms? I'm particularly looking for those that would have songs written about them, and would be widely known by Bards. Thanks once again for the Lore.
Go to Top of Page

Mandras
Seeker

Estonia
51 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2007 :  08:09:37  Show Profile  Visit Mandras's Homepage Send Mandras a Private Message
How does Waterdeep get fresh water for it's 130.000+ (and much more during summer) citizens?

The daily drinking water needs of every person is approximately four litres (slightly less than one gallon) in average temperate climate conditions. So the city needs at least 520,000+ litres of fresh water to satisfy the minimal needs of it's citizen during low-population months. And that water let's the citizens barely stay alive - that means not to die of thirst.

In addition to drinking requirements, water is traditionally used for sanitation purposes for the disposal of human waste. Humans also have basic hygiene needs for personal washing and bathing, and for food preparation.

Drinking, sanitation, and hygiene needs constitute the basic human survival needs for water. Nowadays these minimum needs total about 50 liters (13.2 gallons) per person per day (in comparison, the average American uses well over ten times that amount daily).

So, at least 6,500,000+ litres of fresh water is needed daily in Waterdeep, if it's citizens want to enjoy normal life that includes soups, bathing and waterclosets. Perhaps in Faerun less waterclosets are used, but washing of clothes and bathing still is common and done with fresh water.

I have not seen any aqueducts on city maps. The city is not situated on the bank of any river. It sits on a plateu, quite higher than the sea level, so any well has to be really deep (plus it has to go through many levels of dungeons, undercity and underdark.

So - my question is - where does the city get it's fresh water? And where are the emergency reserves held?

Best Regards,

Mandras.

"The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple."
Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

Mandras
Seeker

Estonia
51 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2007 :  08:12:07  Show Profile  Visit Mandras's Homepage Send Mandras a Private Message
Oh, and one more question to mr Greenwood:

Where could I get more data about Baldur's Gate 4 dukes. In 2nd edition boxed set they were not fully statted nor fleshed out, the only data was the following:

Entar Silvershield (LG hm F21)
Liia Jannath (CG hm W16)
Belt (CN hm F19)
Eltan (LN hm F20)

I know the Eltan is the leader of Flaming Fists.

But what about the background, history, relations, interests, agendas, characteristics, etc. of these individuals?

I have a gut feeling these characters were designed by Ed and he had some more thoughts about them than these 4 meager lines.

Best Regards,

Mandras.

"The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple."
Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2007 :  16:59:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, fellow scribes. Ed is back hard at work spinning Realmslore for various WotC projects, so second banana [I'm taking a bow, but you'll just have to imagine it; if it helps, I'm not wearing anything while doing it except my wristwatch, a black ribbon choker, and a smile ) will have to step in for the nonce.
I'm really busy right now, too, so MY replies will also be sporadic. And further delayed by the need to "check them" with Ed.
However, Mandras happens to have asked about some things (the "water in Waterdeep" queries) that Ed has gone over several times in the past, for TSR designers and various fans. Here, I'm paraphrasing bits and pieces of several of his answers. (You didn't think Ed hadn't thought about all of this, did you?)

First: Waterdeep has a very wet climate. Orographic rainfall occurs as cold sea air blowing onshore hits Mount Waterdeep, is forced to rise, and comes over the mountain dumping its water. And filling cisterns all over the city, well-nigh constantly.

Second: Extensive springs arise deep in the Underdark and come to the surface in two places: high on the slopes of Mount Waterdeep (where they are immediately piped, and used in Mirt's Mansion, Castle Waterdeep, Piergeiron's Palace, municipal pumps in the Market, and throughout Sea Ward) and in the face of the cliff forming the eastern boundary of North Ward (where the water descends into narrow pools at the base of the cliff, and is promptly pumped back up into North Ward, and thence by gravity down into Castle Ward, South Ward, and finally Dock Ward [the most poorly-served ward, water-wise]. The Company of Crazed Venturers encountered "water welling up" many times in their explorations of Undermountain, which even in its fragmentary published form (by TSR and subsequently WotC) has its rivers. A lot of the "black areas" on the sprawling dungeon maps are places where water rises through the rock, under pressure, and no "tunneling in" is possible. Adventurers who tried to "dig their way out" of dungeon areas with Ed as DM quite frequently found themselves starting floods, and fleeing until the water found a way to drain down and away.

Third: People use water quite differently than in modern times. Seawater is used to flush privies (yes, by the bucket method), down into sewers that are flushed out by seawater tides. Public bathing occurs mainly on the beach west of Sea Ward (that's why there's a gate in the wall), in the sea, and is usually undertaken (as opposed to picnics and playing, which occur on sunny days) during rains or heavy mists, when naked bathers emerging from the sea can have the salt naturally washed off their bodies by the freshwater mist and rain). Sand-and-water mixtures are used to scour plates, pots, et al, and there are many soaps, what we would call shampoos, and what we would call grease-cutting detergents in use that drive off grease and sea-salt (Lantanna gnomes and many others constantly invent new ones). Much drinking involves beer, wine, juices and milk brought into the city aboard ships and from around the Sword Coast North interior - - so little "straight water" is drunk. Many noble households have "country estates" that they regularly bring wagon-tanks of water into the city from, for family use in their mansions. And finally, the summertime population of Waterdeep is much higher than the wintering-over population, so water demands drop sharply during times when water is apt to be frozen (though those cisterns keep working; Waterdeep has little insulation, and the crush of crowded-together bodies and cooking and guild-work and animal defecation gives off lots of heat, constantly).

Fourth: the same portal spells that hold the "unseen phantom walls" of the city dimensionally "otherwhere," to be summoned around the city when needed, also hold an opening to a huge lake, which would "pour water from the sky" into the statues around the walls of the Field of Triumph (arena), which contain pipes with various gigantic spigots and drain-holes accessible around the outside edges of the walls (so, into wagon-tanks), that drain on down into Undermountain, should drought, a siege, or other extraordinary conditions of water shortage arise. (This backup has never been needed, but did feature in an adventure Ed ran back in 1982, I think, wherein a Watch patrol got "washed down the street" and a group of PC adventurers managed to escape them.)

So there you have it. Lower demand than you posit, using modern real-world habits, and a very large natural supply with magical augmentation. Trust me, Ed thinks of everything. As for your other questions, Eltan is definitely Ed's invention (as is the Flaming Fist), but I'm not sure about the others. I'll add the "where else are they detailed" query to Ed's massive and ever-growing pile, and we'll see.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2007 :  17:10:34  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Jorkens, are you familiar with Ed's coverage of Turmish in his "ELMINSTER'S EVERWINKING EYE" column in the old POLYHEDRON Newszine? Ed covered the countryside, not the cities. I know there are indices ("indexes" to Americans) out on the Net that cover which POLY issues have what . . .
love,
THO

Sorry for not answering this query before; I cant believe I missed it.

I have heard about the POLYHEDRON magazine, but never seen an issue, let alone read one. The only information I have been in contact with concerning Turmish is more or less what can be found in the Vilhon Reach book.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2007 :  17:40:06  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
See, told you Ed probably thought about the water in Waterdeep. Also, THO, I supplied some material for Eltan and company: The 2 campaign box sets, Gold and Glory, and the FRCS and there was another later 3/3.5e book that has a little about them but I can't recall which one it is, Eric was involved in it though, if I recall right.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2007 :  19:48:31  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Thanks, Kuje.
Reading over my reply, I can see two things I didn't emphasize enough: the constant sea-mists blowing ashore and condensing on anything warmer (read: just about everything), and the "small beer" that Waterdhavians - - most Faerūnians, for that matter - - consume much of the time, as opposed to drinking straight water.
There's also something called "glimmerstrike" that dwarves and gnomes have used for centuries: some sort of natural (not magical) powder, that when added to water, causes suspended grit (sand, rock dust, other small fragments and particles of any sort) to "drop out" of suspension and settle. It works without tainting the water, so if the original water was drinkable, so is the "cleared" (or "cut," Ed's notes tell me everyday Realms speech terms it) result.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2007 :  20:00:40  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Ed also answered a question about Waterdhavian water wells (for me, I think!) in 2005 or 2006.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2007 :  20:23:51  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
My thoughts go to you, Ed.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  03:19:54  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Quick question Ed or THO:

Does Berdusk have sewers? :) And if so, how detailed are they or if not, where does waste get dumped? Into the river?

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 20 Nov 2007 16:19:30
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  14:12:40  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message
All this talk about water (especially the glimmerstrike) brings a question to mind:

Does Faerun have a germ similar to giardia (often found in "pristine" mountain streams that are actually polluted by cattle waste, causes all sort of nasty digestive issues in humans)? Since I don't want to add to Ed's huge pile of questions with something quite this base, I'd be happy to know if the lovely lady THO has encountered something like this in one of Ed's campaigns. Thanks!

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  18:15:39  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message
Ed,

This is a bit silly, but could you give us a list of the top 3 assassins in Faerun, and why?

Thanks,
Hawkins

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  21:45:24  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Ed,

This is a bit silly, but could you give us a list of the top 3 assassins in Faerun, and why?

Thanks,
Hawkins

Well in Ed's realms they may be:

1) Std's
2) Jealous husbands
3) Jealous Wives

In seriousness, I am betting on three names we have not heard of.
I am very curious about what he may answer.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 20 Nov 2007 21:48:42
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  22:45:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
I'm thinking that if the wider Realms has heard of them, then they can't be among the top three.
Forwarded to Ed, to see what he comes up with.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  23:34:46  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

I'm thinking that if the wider Realms has heard of them, then they can't be among the top three.
Forwarded to Ed, to see what he comes up with.
love,
THO

Thank you THO!

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2007 :  18:14:58  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Happy Family day to you fellow scribes, to Ed, may you manage during this day of reflection and fond memories, blessings to you and your family.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000