Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Edward Bolme
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5691 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2004 :  19:14:14  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This being a collective scroll of any questions the Scribes and visitors of Candlekeep wish to put to a new author of the Realms, namely - Edward Bolme, author of The Alabaster Staff.

Present your questions herein and check back to see what news may also come forth from the quill of this author.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Demonwise
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2004 :  20:30:07  Show Profile  Visit Demonwise's Homepage Send Demonwise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Slight spoiler alert!

I would just like to say to Mr. Edward that I immensily loved The Alabaster Staff (I never knew the traitor before he committed treachery)! I just wonder if that sneaky kid in the start had a future in some novels...?
Go to Top of Page

Ashlock
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2004 :  16:39:42  Show Profile  Visit Ashlock's Homepage Send Ashlock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, Ed. I see you're still getting the same questions. But that's a good thing. Since that wall-climbing rogue in the beginning of The Alabaster Staff showed up, he's been asked about ever since.

But personally, I'd just like to see the two main characters in future stories...they're fun.
Go to Top of Page

Edward Bolme
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2004 :  17:55:52  Show Profile  Visit Edward Bolme's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, it's nice to see that I balanced the hints properly... too much and you give things away, too few and it seems like you're just pulling stuff out of thin air.

As for Jaldi, I have plans for him if and when I get to do another FR book. However, I am currently working on Eberron (and I hope those of you who liked the Staff will follow me to the new world), so for the moment, it looks like my forthcoming short story will be my last appearance in the Realms for the near future.

But yeah, I'm partial to the gang, and I hope to revisit them.

Edward Bolme
http://www.bolme.com/books.htm
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2004 :  23:45:20  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed

Are you writing anything for the Realms of Dragons Anthalogy?

Dragons-Tiamat-Unther-Alabaster staff characters

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Edward Bolme
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2004 :  16:48:12  Show Profile  Visit Edward Bolme's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, I have a story in that anthology. I will say nothing more about it other than it features no one from The Alabaster Staff.

Edward Bolme
Go to Top of Page

Simon Says
Acolyte

36 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2004 :  20:06:56  Show Profile  Visit Simon Says's Homepage Send Simon Says a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Mr. Bolme, I know this may not be the proper forum, but since I never see you on the WotC Eberron message boards...

Can you give us a little hint as to what to expect from your upcoming Eberron novel? As one of the people who readily await the release of that new world, I am extremely curious what sort of guidelines you were given. It's not as if you have a lot to go on after all, right? Were you given a great deal of leeway?

I always wondered how people approached writing for something that did not yet exist.

Thank you for your time.

And the trees were all kept equal - by hatchet, axe, and saw. --Peart
Go to Top of Page

Edward Bolme
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2004 :  17:29:31  Show Profile  Visit Edward Bolme's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is there a WotC Eberron board other than Future Releases?

Anyway, my book will be a stand-alone, although in it I am laying down threads for sequels and spin-offs. As a rough first cut, I expect it will have a similar feel to The Alabaster Staff, inasmuch as it will have a limited set of characters, be primarily urban, and will (hopefully) have a few plot twists to catch y'all off guard. This in comparison to the epic Steel Throne with its cast of thousands.

I'll have to check with Mark (my editor) to see what else I can release. I'm not even quite sure which title we went with...

Mark and I went round and round with the plot; he was willing to spend so much time beating his head against mine because he likes the characters so much, so I guess that's a good sign.

Edward Bolme
Go to Top of Page

Simon Says
Acolyte

36 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2004 :  00:45:41  Show Profile  Visit Simon Says's Homepage Send Simon Says a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Currently the "Future Releases" board is all we "Ebbies" (lordy) have, though WotC Mark (the same Mark as your editor perhaps? Hmmm!) has said Eberron will soon have its own forum.

If you (or any of you) haven't seen the latest art releases, go to:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eb/20040217a

Newcomer Steve Prescott is amazing, and the spread at the very bottom is fantastic, done by none other than Wayne Reynolds (or just "WAR" as he is likely fondly known). The storytelling possibilities for this place are endless.

So no other hints or clues about the book? First name/class of primary protagonist? Will there be any rabid marsupials?

OKAY OKAY---I know this is the Forgotten Realms place (ahem--the Numero Uno Forgotten Realms place---all hail Alaundo!), so here's an "Alabaster Staff" question: Jaldi was, in my opinion, one of the most realistic and "earthy" protagonists I've yet too see. In many ways, her mannerisms and reactions were very believable. Was she wholly or partially based off of someone you know?

Also: We all knows covers are often hit-or-miss (ask Mr. Reid on the hit; ask Mrs. Cunningham on the miss). While I liked the cover of "Alabaster Staff", I did not quite picture the characters the way they were depicted. What did you think?

That's all for now!

(Gotta love the internet---you young 'uns don't know how good you have it, being able to get such great feedback from writers whose work you love and admire)

Simon

Go to Top of Page

Edward Bolme
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2004 :  04:54:50  Show Profile  Visit Edward Bolme's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hints: not yet. I'll start dropping hints late next spring or so; hints this far away from publication just don't do any good, IMHO.

As for Jaldi: Did you mean Kehrsyn? Jaldi was not really a protag, and male besides.

Cover art: Mea culpa. I missed the deadline for sending in an art description (frankly, I hadn't fully decided the course of pivotal events), so my editor gave a vague one and left a lot to artistic interpretation. While it's a cool cover, and while I love Mark Zug's work, it wasn't what I imagined. On the other hand, that fact fits nicely with the whole "nothing is as it seems" motif of the book, and I actually ret-conned some descriptions to better match the art.

Edward Bolme
Go to Top of Page

Simon Says
Acolyte

36 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2004 :  00:05:36  Show Profile  Visit Simon Says's Homepage Send Simon Says a Private Message  Reply with Quote

D'oh!

OfCOURSEImeantKehrsyn...

(I just can't spell her name without looking at it twice ... or thrice ...)

The question stands: any RL inspirations?

Go to Top of Page

Edward Bolme
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2004 :  20:33:09  Show Profile  Visit Edward Bolme's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kehrsyn was pretty much cut from whole cloth.

When I started building her character, I wanted to ensure that she would be someone whom readers liked. So I created her to be someone whose ethics clashed with reality. Thus we get the coolness of expert theft without the moral baggage.

Her interpersonal mannerisms came from any of a number of young women I've known, people whose excitement has yet to be tempered with maturity.

Her prestidigitation and psychological savvy came from a friend of my brother, who actually did that coin trick and could always get you to guess wrong. Every time. He was always one step ahead of you. I myself pulled the feigned panic of being caught on my wife to win a bet against her.

Does that answer your question?

Edward Bolme

Edited by - Edward Bolme on 24 Feb 2004 21:19:09
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2004 :  06:40:24  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved your book, Alabaster Staff!

Does Tiamat have any chance of a big impact in future novels?

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Edward Bolme
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2004 :  22:05:37  Show Profile  Visit Edward Bolme's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That all depends on whether or not they have me write more for the Forgotten Realms. Generally speaking, they don't want people to write in more than one world. I have been ushered over to Eberron, thus in the immediate future, it's unlikely that I'll be writing in the Old Empires again any time soon (unless Eberron totally tanks right out of the gate, heaven forbid).

That said, I am starting to build up this idea for the conclusion of the Mulhorand/Unther war... and yeah, I could see a certain deity having some say in the outcome...

Edward Bolme
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2004 :  22:38:28  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Edward Bolme
Generally speaking, they don't want people to write in more than one world.

Interesting. I've never heard that "rule" before. Are they afraid you might spill some of Eberron's state secrets to Realms fans? Or vice versa?

quote:

I have been ushered over to Eberron, thus in the immediate future, it's unlikely that I'll be writing in the Old Empires again any time soon (unless Eberron totally tanks right out of the gate, heaven forbid).

It won't and good luck to you writing within that setting. But, when you talk to Eberron fans, let them know which setting had you first and is merely letting you go write for them, for now.

quote:

That said, I am starting to build up this idea for the conclusion of the Mulhorand/Unther war... and yeah, I could see a certain deity having some say in the outcome...

Please hold on to that idea or scribble it down someplace. I and I'm sure many others would be very curious to see such a conclusion.
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  04:45:19  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This would be very appreciated. I really enjoyed the way you depicted the current status quo in Messemprar. As a result of Alabaster Staff, I've worked in a bit of war-time profiteering in the campaign I'm running.

Unther is such an important nation simply because it serves as a buffer state for Thay and Chessenta. When and if it falls, the repercussions will be very large. Thay may decide to change their focus a bit from trade to defense. Chessenta may be find a need to unite their disparate city-states for better self-defense. Other nations will be confronted with moral decisions of what to do with refugees and whether they can turn a blind eye on Mulhorand's agression toward and enslavement of the people of Unther.

So, yeah, it would be very nice to see the war resolved (one way or another) and I'd say you have already proven you are the best qualified to write about it.

Perhaps we could see a bit more of Jaldi too.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

Edward Bolme
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  05:27:48  Show Profile  Visit Edward Bolme's Homepage  Reply with Quote
SiriusBlack:

I think the one-world rule is because of "perceived baggage." For example, fans of RAS would not likely follow him to a new setting, because they'd never see Drizzt there. Likewise, foes of RAS would not read him even if he did write in a new setting.

For me, I have written in Magic, L5R, and FR, but have yet to settle in anywhere, thus I have no baggage.

As for seeing more of Kehrsyn, Demok, Jaldi, and the rest, what has the most impact is pure and simple: sales. You can lobby the novels department, you can gripe on forums, but ultimately the sales figures will win out. Thus, if you want me to write more in the Old Empires (and I'd like to), evangelize the book!

Sarta:

Thanks for the props! I have various plans, including countermarked coinage and such. And yes, Jaldi will play a major role in this go-round.

If I ever get to write it, that is. We'll see.

Edited by - Alaundo on 17 May 2004 11:05:16
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  06:18:41  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
SiriusBlack:

I think the one-world rule is because of "perceived baggage." For example, fans of RAS would not likely follow him to a new setting, because they'd never see Drizzt there. Likewise, foes of RAS would not read him even if he did write in a new setting.

For me, I have written in Magic, L5R, and FR, but have yet to settle in anywhere, thus I have no baggage.

Thanks for the explanation. Sad, as I know of a few authors I'd follow to any world and one that I already have.
Go to Top of Page

Edward Bolme
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2004 :  07:36:26  Show Profile  Visit Edward Bolme's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

Thanks for the explanation. Sad, as I know of a few authors I'd follow to any world and one that I already have.

That's high praise. Who's that?

[cheapplug]
As for me, go check out The Steel Throne, if you like Asian fantasy. Or if you can catch me at a con, I'll usually have a copy or two of my aging Paranoia novel to sell.
[/cheapplug]

Edward Bolme
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2004 :  08:42:34  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarta

quote:

This would be very appreciated. I really enjoyed the way you depicted the current status quo in Messemprar. As a result of Alabaster Staff, I've worked in a bit of war-time profiteering in the campaign I'm running.

Unther is such an important nation simply because it serves as a buffer state for Thay and Chessenta. When and if it falls, the repercussions will be very large. Thay may decide to change their focus a bit from trade to defense. Chessenta may be find a need to unite their disparate city-states for better self-defense. Other nations will be confronted with moral decisions of what to do with refugees and whether they can turn a blind eye on Mulhorand's agression toward and enslavement of the people of Unther.

So, yeah, it would be very nice to see the war resolved (one way or another) and I'd say you have already proven you are the best qualified to write about it.

Perhaps we could see a bit more of Jaldi too.

Sarta

Theres going to be a few problems if they do conqueor Unther both divine and mortal for Mulhorand, there going to have to deal with any Untheric "nationalists" who oppose Mulhorand's occupation , there also going to have problems when they star reaching Unthers north coast, because they'll run into Mourktar and the Banite army based there (According to F&A Mourktar is the home of the largest Temple of Bane in Faerun)

There will be divine problems as well with some quite serious consequences. The major religions in Unther are Bane (Mourktar and likely alot of formeer Gilgream worshipers, as Bane and Gilgream are fairly similar deties) Mulhorandi pantheon (Are probably mostly from the invading army) Mystra (The wizards who rule Messemprar) Tempus (Chessentan mercenaries) and Tiamat. Now most if not all of Unthers population now worship Faerunian deities and if the Mulhorandi pantheon takes over Unther it may well result in AO disolving the Mulhorandi pantheon as a seperate Pantheon ie all of the Mulhorandi gods are now a part of the Faerunian pantheon. Which means that alot the gods of the 2 pantheons will have to fight it out to see who remain "top dog" ie like what happaned with Tempus and Gargos when the Netherese Pantheon disolved.

Mulhorand's gods and likely conflicts

Anhur/Tempus
Geb/Grumbar
Hathor/Llirra AND Selune
Horus Re/Lathander and Hoar
Isis/ Mystra and Sune
Nephthys/ Waukeen
Osiris/ Tyr and Kelemvor
Sebek/ Malar
Set/ Cyric, Shar and Bane
Thoth/ Mystra and Azuth

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2004 :  15:18:37  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
That's high praise. Who's that?

Thomas M. Reid. I obtained a copy of his novel Forged (Book One of the Queen's Blade Trilogy) set within Bastion Press' Oathbound world. A really good work that makes me look forward to the future novels that will complete the trilogy. If he writes a novel set within a new world, I definitely will be checking it out.
Go to Top of Page

Edward Bolme
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2004 :  05:15:42  Show Profile  Visit Edward Bolme's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just a note for those who might be intersted: I have accepted a position as a writer at BioWare (Baldur's Gate, Knights of the Old Republic... you know, those guys).

This will not impact my novel writing. In fact, having a steady job will probably make it easier. And it will be nice to be back in the gaming industry.

Edward Bolme
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2004 :  05:21:12  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just a note for those who might be intersted: I have accepted a position as a writer at BioWare (Baldur's Gate, Knights of the Old Republic... you know, those guys).

Congratulations on this position. I noticed at your site that "The Dagger of Chaos" might appear at the tail end of this year. Any news on that development?
Go to Top of Page

Edward Bolme
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2004 :  07:55:29  Show Profile  Visit Edward Bolme's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack
I noticed at your site that "The Dagger of Chaos" might appear at the tail end of this year. Any news on that development?

Yeah.

A slightly tightened version (I had to cut some 1000 words) will appear in the Realm of Dragons short-story compilation. Its new title is First Flight.

I was very fortunate that (a) Phil liked the story, and (b) it had something to do with dragonkind.

Edward Bolme
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2004 :  15:00:25  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Yeah.

A slightly tightened version (I had to cut some 1000 words) will appear in the Realm of Dragons short-story compilation. Its new title is First Flight.

I was very fortunate that (a) Phil liked the story, and (b) it had something to do with dragonkind.

I'm glad to hear that it will soon be available to readers. Thank you for the information and I look forward to reading it.
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2004 :  17:29:39  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congrats on the new job, and know I'm a little bit jealous. I had applied for a similar position with them back during the development of NWN. Tell Bob McCabe "hi" for me.

"You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
Go to Top of Page

J L Collins
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2005 :  07:50:41  Show Profile  Visit J L Collins's Homepage Send J L Collins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Edward,

There was no option to send you a Private Message via your profile here on Candlekeep, so I am posting (spamming) in your thread to let you know I have e-mailed you via the contact e-mail address on your website.

I wasn't certain if it went directly to you, or through an administrator, so please excuse my note here. If you could find a moment to reply to the e-mail address I gave, I would be very appreciative.

Thank-you.

"Create, don't replicate... and remember, thinking is not doing."

www.jl-collins.com
Go to Top of Page

Edward Bolme
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2005 :  14:05:11  Show Profile  Visit Edward Bolme's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No worries.

The best ways to contact me are either through my website or at www.worldsofdnd.com.

Since I have been migrated to Eberron, I visit there much more frequently than here.

Edward Bolme
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2008 :  06:19:17  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if you'll see this, but I have a question for you.

I note from references in the text (15 years since the ToT, 1.5 years since the Mulhorandi invasion) that The Alabaster Staff is set in 1373 DR. It's clearly set during winter, which means that's it's either early in the year or late in the year, but I somehow got the impression that it's during the winter 1372-1373 rather than 1373-1374.

Can you give me a more precise date of the events of the novel? The action spans seven days, but which seven days? Hammer, Alturiak, Ches?

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Edward Bolme
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2008 :  23:26:39  Show Profile  Visit Edward Bolme's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mulhorand invaded in 1371, which one can assume came in late spring or early summer. Add a year and a half to that, and you end up at winter 1372-1373. My intent was to fudge the time a bit into 1373 to place the events in the bitterest part of winter. Beyond that, I made a point not to pin down the dates too exactly, because with so many authors working on the same project, the chance for someone to step on someone else's toes is high.

Edward Bolme
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000