Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5691 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2005 :  18:28:10  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Delete Topic
Well met

This being a continued collection of scrolls of any questions the Scribes and visitors of Candlekeep wish to put to a master who needs no introduction, namely - Ed Greenwood, creator of the Forgotten Realms.

Ed's works include MANY FR sourcebooks and numerous novels, such as Cormyr: A Novel, Spellfire, Silverfall, The Shadows of the Avatar Trilogy and The Elminster Series, to name but a few.

Present your questions herein and check back to see what news may also come forth from the quill of this author.

For previous entries of the many, many writings of lore by Ed, please see 2005 entries in this collection of scrolls and 2004 entries here. 'ware, these run into over 80 pages, ye may be reading for some time For a concise read of Ed's replies, visit the So Saith Ed page on the Candlekeep site.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Edited by - The Sage on 30 Dec 2006 02:20:21

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2064 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2006 :  00:07:11  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message
My question for Ed is as follows:

What one bit of Realmslore or one story do you wish someone had asked you to relate?

:-)

Happy new year!

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2006 :  00:17:04  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Hi, Ed. This is a New Year’s Eve message from Karen, the bookstore manager who sells your book in Kingston, Ontario. She says you’ll definitely remember her “because of the whipped cream” (! ), and asked me to post this to you:

Hi, Ed.
I just want to thank you, not just for making us wealthier by moving lots of books off our shelves this year (your and Elaine’s City of Splendors was VERY well received by the university students here), but for entertaining three Quebecois students in particular, whose
English prose reading you greatly improved. It’s unusual for a student to ask me to try to send thanks to an author, so here it is: Thanks!
All the best in 2006!
A lot of us can’t wait for the first Knights of Myth Drannor novel!

Hi, Blueblade again: I second that: both the thanks and the can’t wait!
Bye!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2006 :  00:21:34  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, fellow scribes. For our first answer of 2006, Ed makes swift reply to Dargoth’s recent questions (which of course gives some hint to some of the things he’s working on, right now):
Again, the Q & A format:

Dargoth: Does the Thayan enclave in Triel still exist?
Ed: Yes. However, it’s now operating differently. Picture a few shops inside a walled compound, with very polite, benign-seeming personnel. There are some well-hidden portals to: a citadel where Red Wizards with battle-spells to humble most adversaries dwell and work, in hiding. Adventurers (and the local authorities) have yet to learn this.

Dargoth: In SPELLFIRE Lhaeo says that Elminster told him that he was the last Member of the Tethyr Royal family, how then did Elminster miss Lady Thione (and her daughter)?
Ed: Elminster didn’t miss them. He lied to Lhaeo, the better to manipulate him into behaving exactly as El wanted him to (become my cook and fetch-and-carry servant, let everyone think you’re a “simpering man-lover,” et al) because “you’re IT,” the last hope of your kingdom. Manipulating people is what El does, daily. Unfortunately, the nature of Realms fiction is that we tend to see the conflicts and confrontations rather than the far more frequent subtle (and not so subtle) manipulations.

Dargoth: In CROWN OF FIRE Mirt says that Lady Duskreene had ruled here before Cormyr was founded. Now before Cormyr was founded Hullocks Forest would have fallen within the borders of The Lands of the Purple Dragon and the lands won by Iliphar Nelnueve. Neither of whom are likely to allow humans to setup in their mists . . . [dates snippage] . . . Given this I can think of the following 2 options: A) Mirt has Netherese ancestors (The Netherese would probably have been powerful enough to keep Thauglorimorgorus and his dragons at bay long enough to establish Tethgard), B) Mirt has Draconic ancestors of some sort
Ed: Mirt does indeed have some Netherese ancestors (Lady Duskreene and her people). He may also have draconic ancestors that he (and we) don’t yet know about (suggesting that Lady Duskreene and her people may have been under the protection of one or more dragons who were romantically linked to one or more of said people). I dare not say more at the present time [big cheesy grin].

Dargoth: What Deity do the Malaugrym worship?
Ed: None. That’s the conceit of the shapeshifters: that they are above mere flawed mortality, and need not worship gods (as opposed to horse-trading with gods when necessary). Some of the younger Malaugrym revere Malaug (swearing by him, and believing his invisible soul still watches over them, judging them), and a handful of younger Malaugrym believe worshipping other deities, purely for the personal gain that their aid may provide, might be tactically wise. However, the Malaugrym are essentially godless.

Dargoth: There seems to be quite a few similarities between the stories of Malaug and the Malaugrym and Lord Shadow and Shade enclave. After reading the Shadow of the Avatar trilogy again I was begining to suspect that Malaug and the Netherils Lord Shadow may be one and the same.......
Ed: There do seem to be many similarities between Malaug and Lord Shadow, but they are just that: similarities. The two are not the same being. I, too, would love to read fiction dealing with Shade - - or for that matter, with the doings of the Malaugrym. As for the Magelords, [NDA] [second big cheesy grin].

So there you have it. Much grinning and hinting, so I used my womanly wiles (okay, I thrust my ahem, chests into Ed’s face) to ask him directly if any of his evasions were due to malaugrym or Magelords featuring in SWORDS OF EVENINGSTAR, and he gave me a clear “No.”
Hmmm.
Great question Eric, and nice message, Blueblade: I'll fling them Ed's way without delay!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Scarabeus
Acolyte

Canada
27 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2006 :  07:02:41  Show Profile  Visit Scarabeus's Homepage Send Scarabeus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
[...] My wife and I spent a lovely tenday there,staying in a bed & breakfast that fronts (or fronted; I assume it’s still there) [...]
I'm pretty sure it's still there. Things did not change much in this area. There as been much renovations and revitalisation (sp?) in the lower city though,and now around the St-Lawrence river for the 400th anniversary of the city in 2008.
quote:
Oh, and we loved the museum where Montcalm’s skull is kept[...]
It is called "Le musée des Ursulines". I must admit I never visited it ... yet. I'll take your word for it and see for myself.
quote:
“[...]Thank you. You have very beautiful tits.” So did hers, as she sweetly thanked him in flawless English, and added in rapid-fire French, “And I’m sure your balls are also exquisite to behold, monsieur.” [...]I put my TSR education to very good use showing one stripper how to burlesque with a feather boa (as opposed to merely flinging it off)[...]

I sure it was very hard not to laugh. Misunderstandings like that are quite funny. A few years ago in Niagara Falls, my girlfrend and I were just finishing our meal at the Hard Rock cafe when the waitress came and asked if she wanted a box (because she didn't eat everything). But she thought the waitress asked her if the meal was good, so she said yes. She was SO embarassed when the waitress came back with a box and put the meal in it. She was red ... and I was rolling on my seat. As for the boa ... I hope you did not suffer too much constriction damage ... I didn't know TSR education included that. You're really a Jack-of-all-trade. Now you have to come in summer. There's plenty of festivals.

If you come back someday, let me know ... I'll buy a feather boa and ask for a course.

Eric L.: Indeed this is a very good question.

Scarabeus
Go to Top of Page

Firhyanda
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2006 :  22:16:34  Show Profile  Visit Firhyanda's Homepage Send Firhyanda a Private Message
Greetings all

A siries of theoretical questions about the year of elf kin risen and star elves:

Assuming that the star elves were to return to the Yuriwood in mass from there extrademesional exile what would the reaction of the Aglarondan people and or the symbol be to such an event?

Can you imagine any set of circumstances that would cause the star elves to annex wizards reach in the name of aglorond kicking out the red wizards?

Howe inclined would star elf society be to oppose slavery and or the red wizards on moral grounds?

How well did magic lore survive the exile of the star elves do they still have the ability to do high magic and are they inclined to?

Thank you so much for the realms Mr. Greenwood.
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2006 :  22:54:17  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
Hello again.

I tend to get a bit obessive with some things, like planetouched. My question is what was life for Planetouched in the history of Faerun in places other than Mulhorand,Unther, Coramshan and Memnonnar (Forgive my spelling)? Especially in places like Netheril, where magics were very powers and spells to gain power might result in planetouched creatures?

Just curious. Thanks.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2006 :  02:02:00  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
Here is another "tricky" question to the Bearded One:

What kind of phrasing do merchants/craftsmen use in important business contracts (such as in a "pay me an X sum of gp's and I will make three greatswords for you in three months"-type of contract).
Can you give an exact example (ahem, a whole contract ;)

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2006 :  02:15:42  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, fellow scribes! Ed makes reply to EvilKnight’s query: “Hello Lady THO and Ed, I have had the pleasure the past few months (as part of WW DnD Day and hosting a library program) of introducing DnD and the various campaign settings to new players. I'm sure I didn't do the Forgotten Realms justice. I would like to hear what Ed would say to a group of teenagers (that know very little of DnD and the FR setting) about the Forgotten Realms. Maybe just what he would he emphasize about the realms that makes it unique.”
So, heeeeere’s Ed:

The Realms is a vast, very detailed world with a long and still-vigorously-unfolding history, and many, many characters. The Realms IS those characters, and if a DM doesn’t present it as a vast, everchanging webwork of intrigues and clashing interests, where caravans move from A to B for good reasons, and rulers (unless mad) don’t operate in a vacuum of whims but grapple with issues (the competing interests of their subjects, not just attacks from rival realms) small and large every day, the DM isn’t really showing players the Realms.
Any style of gaming can be accommodated by the Realms, even the simplest dungeon-crawls or “exploring your own small village and the haunted keep on the hill,” so those who play in it need not memorize huge reams of facts or have its entire bewildering complexity dumped on their heads at any time - - but unlike all of the other available published settings, the Realms has a LOT of detail available for the DM who wants to know WHY two noble families have been feuding for centuries, or who around this crowded royal council table has family or business ties or personal loves and hatreds with who else around the table, or what will happen diplomatically, as one consequence leads to another, if the PCs murder this envoy and frame a local bailiff for the killing (or the bailiff frames the PCs). In the Realms, people live ‘real lives.’ They need food (and usually money), they need water, they have to defecate somewhere, they usually have to obey local laws or customs (or flee to live “outlaw”), and almost all of that has been covered somewhere, in Realms fiction or DRAGON articles or Realms gaming products.
The trade routes (and winds, currents, shortages, and exports that affect them) are outlined, and a lot of Faerûnian laws and customs, slang, and even fashions have been written about: if you love detailed lore, or have a need to plunder that detail for your own gaming world or for any other purpose, it’s there. This much detail isn’t what all gamers want or like, but unlike most other settings, the Realms offers you a choice, because the information is there; we’ve done the work.
EvilKnight, I hope this helps.

So saith Ed. Whew. More lore next time!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2006 :  04:39:21  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Here's a quick question for Ed that he can probably answer really fast.

Does he know who that is on the cover of Faiths & Avatars? I always assumed it was Lathander.... Or maybe it's Sune? I figure that it is a deity since the other 2 companion books have images of deities on the covers.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

TylerXKJ
Acolyte

27 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2006 :  14:57:09  Show Profile  Visit TylerXKJ's Homepage Send TylerXKJ a Private Message
If you mean Faiths and Pantheons I think it's supposed to be Cyric. His holy symbol is on the back of the book along with Bane's.

Edited by - TylerXKJ on 02 Jan 2006 14:59:36
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2006 :  15:08:23  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Nope, he meant the 2nd edition tome Faiths & Avatars

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2006 :  15:11:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by TylerXKJ

If you mean Faiths and Pantheons I think it's supposed to be Cyric. His holy symbol is on the back of the book along with Bane's.

Nope, Faiths & Avatars was an entirely separate book. It and the other two second edition deity books (Powers & Pantheons and Demihuman Deities) contain far more lore and information than the 3E Faiths & Pantheons. I consider -- and I'm not alone in this -- F&P to be a pale imitation of the other three books, which are essential Realms resources to anyone wanting to involve the deities of the Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2006 :  17:43:47  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by TylerXKJ

As they said, I meant Faiths & Avatars. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2006 :  02:14:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, fellow scribes. I believe Eric Boyd has the original artwork for the Faiths & Avatars cover; I’ll certainly pass this query to Ed, but why not ask Eric?
In the meantime, Ed replies to this from George Krashos: “I just finished the "Best of Eddie" collection. Why is it that the 'Maimed Wizard' story made me think that Elminster has been masquerading as Hesperdan for a long time? Or may even be Hesperdan? That does make things interesting - the former postulation more than the latter. Wheels within wheels, Mr Greenwood. Thanks again - for about the millionth time.”
Ed speaks:

You’re very, very welcome, George. As always. I salute you as a tireless Lorelord of the Realms, rescuing us all time and time again.
As to why “How Wisdom Came To The Maimed Wizard” made you think Elminster has been masquerading as Hesperdan (or may be Hesperdan)? Must be the very broad hints I wrote into it.
I’ll keep to hinting rather than confirming outright, but someone dwelling in the Realms who attended certain Magefairs would insist that El and Hesperdan are two separate people (because they were seen in the same place at the same time, though not actually standing and talking together). Which of course strengthens the “masquerading as” possibility (the other weakening further when one considers how hard it would be to do all that El does and still have time to put in any appearances as Hesperdan at all: a Zhent whose survival may well be imperilled, in such an authoritarian organization, by unexplained absences). Which in turn raises the why (exactly) is Elminster adopting the guise of Hesperdan, and also HOW is he managing it (is Hesperdan in cahoots with him? Under his total domination? Can be subsumed mentally, as El “takes over” the body, due to some already-cast spell or curse or . . .?
We just don’t know. Yet. I can let slip that Hesperdan has an important future role to play, but we may not see much of it “onstage,” as it were.
Which should leave a lot of scribes going: Hmmm.
Which is as good a place as any to take my leave. :}

So saith Ed. Slyly bailing old dog that he is.
Oh, yes: he hasn’t forgotten that Gerath Hoan asked about Hesperdan, too, and hopes G - H will see from this reply that for the nonce Ed can’t be more specific about the mysterious Hesperdan . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2006 :  06:29:36  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Thanks Ed (and THO). But more importantly, just why does Hesperdan wear those cute pointy slippers and what awesome powers do they possess??

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2006 :  00:13:54  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all. Har, har, Krash.
Ed makes reply this time to this Wooly Rupert query: “Was the Underdark always part of the Realms, or was it something that was added later? Ditto for drow: did the Realms always have dark elves, or were they a later addition? And if dark elves in the Realms pre-dated drow, what were they like?”
Ed speaks:

The Realms always had multi-layered underground “realms atop realms,” though I called them “the Realms Below” or “the Deep Realms” (the latter being a dwarven term for their kingdoms, that humans had corrupted into applying more broadly to all subterranean lands), with glowing fungi, underground glowing magical radiations (that among other things made mosses, lichens, and myconids grow with incredible speed), lava flows, convection currents (deep to near-surface and back again) among water flows, fungi that derived nutrients from the waters and cleaned them of creature dung and taints in the process . . . and so on. I just hadn’t coined or heard of the later (TSR, Greyhawk) term “Underdark,” and so didn’t apply it to my underworld. (You may someday see more of my original subterranean lands concepts in a novel or novels from another publisher, BTW, though that’s very much still “up in the air.”)
The Realms always had subterranean-dwelling (with fortified “forward bases” on the surface, e.g. the Twisted Tower of Ashaba), evil, jaded, and sophisticated elven families - - very much akin to the Borgias or to the drow houses as we first saw them in the series of modules that were much later collected and updated as Queen of the Spiders, though mine were neither dark-skinned nor called either “drow” or “dark elves” (exception: in certain ballads that I penned circa 1970-72, they were POETICALLY referred to as “dark,” meaning fell or evil rather than skin pigmentation, which I envisaged as dead-pale pearly white). My subterranean elves needed foodstuffs, wood, and textiles from the surface, and so had to trade (gems, magic [especially potions], poison antidotes derived from underground plants, fungi and potent cordials made from fermented fungi) with certain bold and unscrupulous surface-world merchants, for such needs.
I saw my elf houses (the Starym, retreated from Myth Drannor, among them) as haughty esthetes who viewed dwarves as their true foes, gnomes as degenerate dwarves, and humans, halflings, orcs, and all crossbreeds as “children” so far beneath elves in their intelligence and cultural development as to be dismissed as little better than animals able to follow instructions (hence, ideal slaves who could be collected, bred for traits, experimented upon with herbs, poisons, magic, and surgeries, hunted or used in races, fights, and other sports for amusement / entertainment / betting purposes, and so on).
As you can see, once the Code of Ethics swept away most of the nastier details of how my under-elves treated other races, all of this could easily be squared with the “official” D&D drow, when the Realms became an official TSR setting.
I eventually had great fun doing the Menzoberranzan boxed set, especially the maps and spells, and still consider Bob Salvatore’s HOMELAND a “classic” fantasy novel, not just one of the best (if not THE best; I recently described Rich Baker’s THE FORSAKEN HOUSE as the best-written Realms book yet, but that’s not quite the same thing) Realms novel. (Please note that neither is my personal favourite; though it’s hard to pick just one title for that honour, I still best love going back to Elaine’s ELFSHADOW every so often.)

So saith Ed. Until the morrow . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2006 :  02:42:02  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Well met in the New Year, Scribes and Scholars, all!

Thanks to THO and Ed for the provisional answers to my many questions. They are of great importance to my campaign in its present stage. With your blessings and Alaundo's I would like to reprint some of the Realmslore which you have supplied to me in the "Files" section of the Yahoo "Waterdeep1360" group, so that my players can read the lore, too.

If there is a strong demand from the sagely, I may pen a faux numismatic guide to Faerun some day. I have some small knowledge about numismatics and might find such a project amusing to myself and edifying to a loremaster or three.

Mine eye was caught by a line in THO's reply vis-a-vis coin collecting. Are the upwardly mobile in Faerun collectors of "marvels" and "wonders" for "wunderkammern" as so many Renaissance nobles and scholars had?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2006 :  07:49:52  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO:

First, here’s a sincere wish to your good and continued health, as well as thanks for all that you do (and have done). It is most appreciated.

And then, a question about overflowing magic:

Suppose an area just north of Suzail (say a half-day’s ride) were to become so overripe with heavy magic that the magic burst forth from its containment into the weave and spilled outward in all directions for several miles, inundating everything in that area with so much magical energy that magic items glowed and became warm (if not hot), hidden or ‘sleeping’ wards became visible and virtually every magical effect’s aura could be seen in the visible light spectrum, by mage and non-mage alike.

Now suppose this effect lasted a good tenday at least, to the point that charged items gained back a few previously spent charges, echoes of spell battles from the past could be heard (as well as the voices of the mages who participated in them), and old, forgotten, previously dispelled and/or nearly-spent wards/portals/magics were rejuvenated at least somewhat (where such wards might go as far back as the elves of the Wolf Woods who ruled before the first Obarskyr set foot in them).

Were such a thing to happen, what are some of the things you suppose might occur in Suzail, so far as men and magic are concerned?

I ask because I’m looking for help in terms of bringing ‘news’ to my players’ attentions during the next couple of game sessions, as they seek to uncover just exactly what it is they’ve done. ;)

Thank you in advance and Happy New Year!

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2006 :  11:15:33  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
A question about the fates of the 3 Dracolichs that Shandril slew in Spellfire

In spellfire Shandril vanquishes 3 Dracolichs

Rauglothgor
Aghazstamn
Shargrailar

however Dracolich of cause arent truely dead until their Phylacterys are destroyed.

While Rauglothgors Phylactery was probably destroyed by the Balhiir (Which would have finished him off.) Aghazstamn and Shargrailar would have retreated to their respective Phylactery's when their bodies died. Have Aghazstamn and Shargrailar returned from the dead by possessing a Dragons body? (it has been 10-15 years since they "died")

Also can you provide any info on the 3 Dracolichs history?

Thanks in advance

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2006 :  13:32:40  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Thanks Ed (and THO). But more importantly, just why does Hesperdan wear those cute pointy slippers and what awesome powers do they possess??

-- George Krashos

Hesperdan's been to Earth and his slippers are a reflexology thing.

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Smyther
Learned Scribe

Canada
121 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2006 :  20:00:45  Show Profile  Visit Smyther's Homepage Send Smyther a Private Message
I have been recently wondering (upon aquiring Rich Baker's Lords of Madness) a couple of things about aboleths. Are there any specific roles they play in the realms, in history, so on, or do they even exist at all? Is there anything specific (I can't really get specific, I'm grasping for ideas in a campaign here) about any aboleths on Faerun that you could tell me? Cities, major involvement recent or otherwise?
On a semi-related question, is there a particular 'deepest lake' on Faerun, ala Lake Baikal on Earth? The oceans would get very deep, yes, but I'm looking towards inland lakes. Perhaps the Moonsea. Also, which lake, aside from those frozen in Sossal, would be the coldest lake?

Thank you for any time you take on this, and a happy belated new years,
Smyther (Neal)

So sayeth the Smyther, the Dark Bard of Amn.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2006 :  21:27:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
There was an aboleth in Elaine Cunningham's novel Daughter of the Drow. I believe there is a community of them in the Sea of Fallen Stars, too.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2064 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2006 :  21:55:11  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

There was an aboleth in Elaine Cunningham's novel Daughter of the Drow. I believe there is a community of them in the Sea of Fallen Stars, too.

I put an aboleth in Sloopdilmonpolop (sp?) in Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark. I'm not sure if he's mentioned in Underdark or not.

In my version of Llurth Dreier (published in Polyhedron #???), it was a city of drow ruled by aboleths. This was changed radically in Underdark.

In my write-up of Underspires (published in Dragon #???), I think I mention a city of aboleths off the coast of Turmish in the Underdark under the Sea of Fallen Stars.

I put a few in the sewers of a certain splendorous city as well ... plus there's one in Skullport (mentioned in Skullport, Cloak & Dagger, and City of Splendors: Waterdeep).

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/

Edited by - ericlboyd on 04 Jan 2006 21:58:09
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2006 :  00:19:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. This time, Ed tackles this question from Pardan: “How are "monstrous" - meaning clearly nonhuman - creatures/adventurers usually treated in cities and lands across the North and the Sword Coast? Basically, I am asking for information about how "cosmopolitan" cities and people in the aforementioned regions are. What would happen if, say, a Loxo or Wemic (a creature largely unknown and perhaps not cursed with a bad reputation like certain dark elves) wandered into a town? How used to the strange and unknown are people in the realms - from the lord to Joe-Average-Commoner?”
Ed replies:

Hi, Pardan. You’re very welcome; hope you enjoy the Realms for years to come! Looking at the earlier answer that Wooly Rupert kindly reposted for you, it looks like your Wild Magic queries should be answered, so let me answer your attitudes towards monsters one.
The short, flippant answer is, of course, it depends. As in: it depends on the experiences individuals the loxo or wemic meet have previously had with loxos or wemics, or what wild tales they’ve heard about them.
In general (and that caveat should here be raised, too: we ARE of necessity speaking in gross generalizations), folk in the realms who are on trade routes are VERY used to seeing a variety of talking, intelligent “non-human” creatures, and rural backlands folks have seen a smaller variety. Unless they see a creature they immediately identify as a foe (slavering dragon-like or other large beast that snarls or roars or looks hungry or has big jaws, or an orc or goblinkin of any kind), they will USUALLY react with careful, wary courtesy - - or “vanish” if they can (children and their mothers will scamper off and hide from, say, a lizard man or even an otherwise normal-seeming man who happens to be covered with scales). The reason for this is as follows: even if not everyone sees magic in use every day, everyone has HEARD plenty about what magic can do, and those cautionary tales tend to warn about wizards or sorcerers taking animal shapes, or being cursed into having scales or wings or glowing eyes (and as elders and mothers say: how would YOU like to be treated, if you got cursed by some spellhurler?).
The timid will run and hide, and every wary person who has or can get a weapon will get it and have it ready to use. However, innkeepers, tavernmasters, and shopkeepers of all sorts will greet and deal with the “strange” person with courtesy, trying to conduct trade with “it” without giving offense, until the moment (and of course it’ll be a moment they’re carefully watching for) it seems to launch an attack or begin to cast a spell. Then the stool or knife will be hurled, the crossbow will be lifted above the countertop and fired, or the cord will be pulled to release the chest of rocks from above . . .
“Monsters” who get into fights, or scare someone into shrieking flight, will often get “run out of town,” yes, the likelihood of this happening decreasing sharply as the size of the settlement increases. Really fearful folk (as in: villagers facing a shapechanging monster, or individuals whom they believe to be a group of armed, hostile foes) will strike to kill. In larger places, the Watch or equivalent will be summoned.
Please note that “everyone” has seen or heard of elves, dwarves, gnomes, and halflings, and won’t consider individuals who look like these races (or closely resemble these races) to be “strange.” However, local temples may have preached sermons or issued edicts, local authorities issued decrees, or events (skirmishes, killings, rumors) in local history may have led to, attitudes sharply different in one place from another. In general: the more bustling with trade and visitors from different places that trade brings a place is, the more tolerant its folk are (Waterdeep is VERY tolerant, as are Athkatla, Scornubel, and the Sembian ports, but Silverymoon, Suzail, and Calimport - - for different reasons - - a step less so, and Arabel, Iriaebor, Elturel, and Westgate another step or grade less tolerant, intolerance increasing as one moves to smaller and more ‘dangerous frontier’ areas or settlements.

So saith Ed. Who promises not to be so verbose with every single answer.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2006 :  00:32:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboydIn my version of Llurth Dreier (published in Polyhedron #???), it was a city of drow ruled by aboleths. This was changed radically in Underdark.

quote:
In my write-up of Underspires (published in Dragon #???), I think I mention a city of aboleths off the coast of Turmish in the Underdark under the Sea of Fallen Stars.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2006 :  05:43:14  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
If you want aboleths, you can always drop Night Below: An Underdark Campaign into the Realms. It's generic D&D, and one of the nastiest adventures I've seen published (beaten only by A Paladin in Hell), especially if you run it with psionics as the monsters within are meant to have.

It does cover a rather large area, however, so figuring out exactly where to place it, and squaring it up with the established Underdark might be a problem. On the other hand, you could always make the Rockseer elves come from Aryvandaar, who fled their home in self-imposed exile after their leaders destroyed their fellow elven realm. (Sorry about that, elven empires are a hobby of mine)

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Scarabeus
Acolyte

Canada
27 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2006 :  06:55:31  Show Profile  Visit Scarabeus's Homepage Send Scarabeus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

A question about the fates of the 3 Dracolichs that Shandril slew in Spellfire

In spellfire Shandril vanquishes 3 Dracolichs

Rauglothgor
Aghazstamn
Shargrailar

I was reading old realmslore yesterday. I kept it from the FR-List a few years ago. Ed wrote that the last Dracholich battle was add from the editor (I don't remember wich one it is It has been far too many years that I read it). So it is quite possible that one of the dracoliches does not come from his writings.
quote:
Originally posted by Ed
The extra dracolich battle at the end was added in, etc. (my take: They're fighting dracoliches AGAIN? Why?).

At the time Ed was not too happy about the editing since a third of the book was cut and all the dialogs rewritten. This brings me one question: Since the book was re-edited, how close is it to the orginal work written by Ed? Forgive my ignorance at the time the new book came out, I left D&D for awhile being to busy with building a house and raising a family.

This inspires me a bonus question ...
Ed, in the same old lore I was reading, I saw that at the time you were quite busy (what a surprise) building a new house and writing an awfull lot of stuff. You were also describing your crowded, 5 feet tall, basement filled with 600+ identical large cardboard boxes etc.
Now that you have a new house (I presume) what does your basement looks like ? Do you still need to work with your laptop on your knees ?
Go to Top of Page

Pardan
Acolyte

31 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2006 :  07:36:20  Show Profile  Visit Pardan's Homepage Send Pardan a Private Message
Thanks, Ed...thanks a lot, I have been waiting to get a good answer for that question for quite some time before discovering these boards...;)

Do not knock on Death's door - ring the bell twice and run away.
He hates that.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2006 :  10:54:53  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Scarabeus

Now that you have a new house (I presume) what does your basement looks like ? Do you still need to work with your laptop on your knees ?

I reckon Eds basement resembles the Warehouse from the closing scenes of Raiders of the lost Ark

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2006 :  12:53:24  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message
A question regarding ancient elven history.

It is implied that the forest of Cormanthor (or as known at that time, Arcorar) was chosen as the meeting place for what came to be called the Elven Court after the 4th Crown War becuase none of the embattled peoples lived there, or anywhere closer than (at nearest) the Chondalwood.

Does this mean that there were no elven settlements in the great forest before that time? I ask because I'd like to site a small, isolationist, pre-Crown Wars green elf enclave in its ages-old decaying proto-mythal somewhere under Cormanthor's eaves, with the notion being that while the delegates to the original Elven Court may have believed the forest to be "undiscovered country", it was already home to this sylvan people, who wanted nothing better than not to become entangled in the building of kingdoms, much less in the horrific kinslaying that came of it.

So is Cormanthor big enough (and inhabited long enough) to accomodate my "lost mythal"? Or am I better off putting it elsewhere?

Edited by - Vangelor on 14 Jan 2006 19:05:24
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000