Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2006 :  19:13:09  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
quote:
Since the book was re-edited, how close is it to the orginal work written by Ed?
It's closer in that some bits were restored, but further away in that the whole book was hack-job style-edited to keep the word count down.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2006 :  01:27:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, fellow scribes. Faraer, I couldn’t have put that better myself!
Ed tackles Skeptic’s recent query: “Hi, I'll try this one, but I'm pretty sure that I'll hit an NDA. (little spoiler from Hunter's blade trilogy) Knowing that the Companions of the Hall (Drizzt & co) will be heading to Gauntlygrim soon and that the 1ed FR set mentions that the Knights of Myth Drannor have visited this forgotten place, maybe we could learn a little more from their experience there?”
Ed replies:

Yes, maybe we could. :}
However, the published lore about Gauntulgrym has already started to drift away from my original version, and I’m certainly not going to hand my good friend Bob Salvatore any difficulties whatsoever by penning lots of lore that might get in the way of any storytelling he may be contemplating. So, sorry, the brick wall you expected to hit is indeed standing there in front of us all. :}

So saith Ed. Unsurprisingly. If you poke around in Ed’s past writings (Wyrms of the North, et al) you will find some lore about Gauntulgrym. We Knights did visit the place, but our memories aren’t particularly fond, so I’ll say no more about it, too. No matter how hard anyone wheedles (though it’s always good fun to see you try).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Gerath Hoan
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2006 :  11:10:03  Show Profile Send Gerath Hoan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Oh, yes: he hasn’t forgotten that Gerath Hoan asked about Hesperdan, too, and hopes G - H will see from this reply that for the nonce Ed can’t be more specific about the mysterious Hesperdan . . .
love,
THO

Thank you THO, I may not have much time to post here anymore, but I do appreciate the Realmslore that keeps on coming - and while this particular piece may have been vague, it does get the little wheels turning!

Also, it's good to see you back hale and well, Lady Hooded. Pass on my regards to Ed for even this most brief of mentions of my own Realmslore requests. See to it that you keep yourself in good health my Lady, we all care far too much about you and your flirtatious ways to lose you!

GH

Knight of the Order of the Keen Eye - Granted by Ed Greenwood, 30th January 2005
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2006 :  12:01:58  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
Hello, Ed and dear THO!

First of all, I want that you sum my best wishes with all the wishes of the other scribes, for the new year, for your return, and for your health.

I want that you pass to Ed that I will no more need of the info about the Whisper´s Crypt (my players resolved to follow by other way) .
So, I´ll need only of any info that coud be passed about the Cavern of Death (FRCS page 293), the lich Asbaron, and the "whys" (why to live in a place so isolated, why he is a monster collector, why he have attacked the Zhentarim, etc.).

And I have another question. We have some fey discussions here at the Keep, and I want to know if there is something new that Ed can said to us about the fey as a Creator Race? Historical tidbits, legends, myths, etc.

Best wishes

Chosen of Moradin

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Just
Acolyte

Portugal
32 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2006 :  22:17:03  Show Profile  Visit Just's Homepage Send Just a Private Message
Hi fellow sages and Hi Mr. Ed Greenwood! Excellent New Year to you all!

I was thinking of finding a place to post some questions and Congratulations for Troy Denning, but strangely I think the Sages forgot him here! So I'm Hoping that you Ed(Hope you don't mind me calling you like this, it's strange to call you Mr. Ed Greenwood!) can distribute the word to Troy(Hope he doesn't mind either!), of my greatest congratulations about "The Summoning" Book! I just finished this book and I must be true to say that when I started reading it I hadn't great expectations about the book, but has the reading progressed and I got more in contact with the character Galaeron, the book really started to grow on me and I liked it a lot! I'm already starting to read "Elminster in Hell", since it is explained in this book why Elminster has to go to Hell and I'm vigorously trying to find the next book of the series, namely "The Siege"! I would like to make a few questions(Some might be rather stupid!)

I specially like the description about Heavy magic, and the "Soul fighting" of Galaeron with his Shadow! So my questions would be...

First - Is Galaeron really fighting for is Soul with a shadow Demon(Namely his own Evil nature!) or was Melegaunt simply manipulating him so that in the end he would do what was expected of him! I know because of other books that Melegaunt is a master manipulator this is why I'm asking! Were the Shade princes really planning to lead the war with the Phaerimm to "Hartsvale"(???) or they had it planned all along to bring the war to the Elves of Evereska and in this way bring to the war effort the reputed "Chosen"?

Second - I now know how the Netherese levitated their cities, through the use of Heavy Magic??
Is this the type of power used in Epic level spells or is this Heavy Magic much more powerfull? Will there be more info in other books about this type of Magic? Did Mystra cancel the use of this magic to all spellcasters, was it because Shar absorbed half of the Weave when Mystryl gave up her life to save it!? Or did Shar always have access to the shadow side of the Weave!? When a spellcaster turns to the Shadow Weave does he lose access to the Weave like Galaeron did? And How come the city of Shade flies, if there is no more heavy magic in Faerun(This one might be really stupid, but I couldn't contain myself!!)

Did Melegaunt and Aris really die?? And what happens to the group and the Heart of Karse(The Philactery of Wulgreth)?? Is this second Wulgreth also a Netherese, who was he before becoming Wulgreth the Lich who can't be killed?

Sorry Ed and Troy about all the questions, some might really silly, these were just doubts I stayed with after reading the book! If these answers are in other book I apologize also because I'm from Portugal and we here don't have much access to these books?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any possible answers! Just the Qindahearted

Brainstorming Paladin under the shadow of a rock shaped Abyss General
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2006 :  01:59:59  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Ed tackles Kuje’s ‘quick question:’ “. . .who that is on the cover of Faiths & Avatars? I always assumed it was Lathander.... Or maybe it's Sune? I figure that it is a deity since the other 2 companion books have images of deities on the covers.”
Ed speaks:

The printout I received from Julia Martin at the time we were writing the book refers to the cover in passing, a cryptic note that can be expanded into proper English to say this:

The bones flying around in the foreground are from an anonymous skeletal undead who’s just been blown asunder by a spell cast by the impressive figure standing backstage right - - who is not a deity at all, but a haughty high-ranking cleric (deity unspecified).

So there you have it. Another little detail of Realmslore from the Master himself.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2006 :  05:01:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I'm moving this question here, because I assume it was for Ed --

quote:
Originally posted by Rolindin

Are you or may be some of the other Wotc authors going to do more about the Netheril and the effects they had on the realms and other worlds.
I have read most of the fr books and know the Netheril are mention in some part even if in a small way.
It would be good to know what happen to the floating city that karsus was chasing and they disappeared.
It would be good to know of the influnces on other worlds the Netheril had.
A friend and my self made such a world and all the effects the Netheril would have caused. It does seem that the issue needs to be addressed in some way so more can be printed on the issue.
I would like to heard what plans you have for the Netheril past and thier effect on other worlds.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2006 :  05:54:18  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
Esteemed Ed (and lovely THO), Sage kindly informed me that he, Kuje, and Wooly have asked you about natural disasters in Faerun, and I was looking for information on fault lines, which seems to be similar in nature to their questions as well. I figure I can guess where MAJOR ones are not, by looking at where cities have been long standing in the Underdark, but that still leaves a little room to figure out where they ARE. Thanks for any help, fellow wearer of the beard.
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2006 :  15:10:50  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message
I am neither His Sagacity nor She Who Veils Her Charms With A Hood but...

Have you looked at the Forgotten Realms Atlas by Karen Wynn Fonstad? I do not know if it is still in print, nor seen this in particular, but it's the kind of thing she has covered for other worlds, such as Pern, and Middle Earth. I would love to hear what Ed has to say, but it might be a place to start.

Edited by - Vangelor on 08 Jan 2006 05:04:16
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2006 :  01:06:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, everybody. This time, Ed replies to Jamallo Kreen re. this: “Thanks to THO and Ed for the provisional answers to my many questions. They are of great importance to my campaign in its present stage. With your blessings and Alaundo’s I would like to reprint some of the Realmslore which you have supplied to me in the "Files" section of the Yahoo "Waterdeep1360" group, so that my players can read the lore, too. If there is a strong demand from the sagely, I may pen a faux numismatic guide to Faerun some day. I have some small knowledge about numismatics and might find such a project amusing to myself and edifying to a loremaster or three. Mine eye was caught by a line in THO’s reply vis-a-vis coin collecting. Are the upwardly mobile in Faerun collectors of "marvels" and "wonders" for "wunderkammern" as so many Renaissance nobles and scholars had?”
Ed speaks:

You’re very welcome. So long as it’s fine with Alaundo, it’s certainly okay with me if you reprint my Realmslore replies online. I’d love to see that faux numismatic guide, though I’d warn you that there’s still a lot of lore to be revealed, so you might want to go on poking me with specific questions for some time, to get more of it out of me. :}
And yes, I’ve revealed before in Realmslore that nobility (and merchants aspiring to be nobility) do indeed collect Marvels and Wonders. Longtime scribes: where have I done so? Both online and in print?
One more thing: I’ve not forgotten your music query, and will get to a reply. When my overflowing “shoulda done last year already!” platter is a little less mountainous.

So saith Ed. Aha, a challenge! Well, not a hard one, but Ed’s right in saying he first mentioned Marvels and Wonders years back, and a time or two since. Where and when, fellow scribes?
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2006 :  02:18:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

So saith Ed. Aha, a challenge! Well, not a hard one, but Ed’s right in saying he first mentioned Marvels and Wonders years back, and a time or two since. Where and when, fellow scribes?
love,
THO

The only Marvels and Wonders I know of around here is our dear Lady Hooded One!

Go to Top of Page

Rowan
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2006 :  06:07:14  Show Profile  Visit Rowan's Homepage Send Rowan a Private Message
Are there going to be any Moonstars classes in any upcoming sourcebooks so players can join the organization? It would be great to have a few classes like those for Harpers.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2006 :  07:15:22  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Rowan

Are there going to be any Moonstars classes in any upcoming sourcebooks so players can join the organization? It would be great to have a few classes like those for Harpers.

Currently in 3.5 D&D (and the subsystem used in Realms products), prestige classes aren't used to determine if you've joined an organization or not-rather, that's an in-game roleplaying based question. That said, the DMGII provided a few feats(Guildmaster and Favored In Guild) which allowed a character to gain more benefits/higher status in their guild, and City of Splendors: Waterdeep (the 3.5 sourcebook) provided details on how to join the Moonstars, Favored In Guild support, and a prestige class for them (Moonstar Agent). This is all of the top of my head, though-I haven't quite gotten to that part of the sourcebook myself yet.
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2006 :  09:58:23  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Currently in 3.5 D&D (and the subsystem used in Realms products), prestige classes aren't used to determine if you've joined an organization or not...
From a factual standpoint, that's not true at all.

If you disagree, feel free to start a new thread.

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2006 :  16:28:48  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello and Happy New Year to all.

My question I think was passed by towards the end of 2005 so I ask it again.

Can a Doompit from Magic of Faerun be purposely recreated by any combination of casters?

And is a spark an object than can be moved or a manifestation within a particular area?

Thank you.

Edited by - createvmind on 08 Jan 2006 16:29:54
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2006 :  16:43:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

You are aware, aren't you, of the Moonstar Agent PrC that was found in City of Splendors: Waterdeep?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2006 :  16:48:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Hello and Happy New Year to all.

My question I think was passed by towards the end of 2005 so I ask it again.

Can a Doompit from Magic of Faerun be purposely recreated by any combination of casters?

And is a spark an object than can be moved or a manifestation within a particular area?

Thank you.

It may not have been answered, but rest assured it was not passed by. Ed has a huge backlog of questions that we've thrown his way, and for various reasons (mostly involving time constraints), doesn't always get to them quickly. Your question will be answered, but you may have to wait a while for it.

Go to Top of Page

Rowan
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2006 :  17:09:33  Show Profile  Visit Rowan's Homepage Send Rowan a Private Message
Thanks for the info regarding the prestige class. But, I find it prudent to comment. The whole idea of the Harper Schism seems a bit contrived to me.

Having worked with Khelben for so long and knowing who and what he is, wouldn't Harper leadership be a lot more lenient and ask him to explain his actions, knowing that he would never do anything to endanger the organization or its members?

It's especially strange that Bran Skorlsun would be against him. Isn't that just a little bit ungrateful, considering Khelben had a major hand in saving his daughter? Surely he and others would have more faith in Khelben than that...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2006 :  17:37:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Thanks for the info regarding the prestige class. But, I find it prudent to comment. The whole idea of the Harper Schism seems a bit contrived to me.

Having worked with Khelben for so long and knowing who and what he is, wouldn't Harper leadership be a lot more lenient and ask him to explain his actions, knowing that he would never do anything to endanger the organization or its members?

It's especially strange that Bran Skorlsun would be against him. Isn't that just a little bit ungrateful, considering Khelben had a major hand in saving his daughter? Surely he and others would have more faith in Khelben than that...

Bran and Khelben haven't gotten along with each other for many, many years... As the book says, Bran saw evidence of treason, and because of his dislike of Khelben, didn't bother to look any further.

And when the Harper tribunal asked Khelben about what he had done -- which was, remember, giving a powerful artifact to the leader of group that's the Harpers' biggest enemy -- he refused to explain himself, and resigned. Then he sealed Blackstaff Tower against the Harpers...

Yes, there is plenty of reason for people to trust Khelben, and to believe that he's working towards a good end. But that's mostly his past actions, prior to the Schism. His actions that caused the Schism, and the actions since, easily look like the actions of a traitor -- especially if that's what you want to see, or if you've no reason to believe otherwise.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2006 :  17:51:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly RupertYes, there is plenty of reason for people to trust Khelben, and to believe that he's working towards a good end. But that's mostly his past actions, prior to the Schism. His actions that caused the Schism, and the actions since, easily look like the actions of a traitor -- especially if that's what you want to see, or if you've no reason to believe otherwise.

Aye... this is a very important point when considering the actions of Khelben with regard to the formation of the Moonstars. It tells us a great deal about his internal motivations and how, on the whole, he sees the Realms.

I'd never say that Khelben is an extremely arrogant individual, but his choices regarding the Scepter and the creation of the Moonstars tells us that he may be following a path that only he can interpret -- or a pre-defined plan of sorts, and that he sees his actions as wholly necessary. For him, at least... and maybe those closest to him, Laeral for example, the end WILL justify the means he's undertaken to get to where ever the purpose of the Moonstars lead.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dragonstar
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2006 :  18:39:27  Show Profile  Visit Dragonstar's Homepage Send Dragonstar a Private Message
My question pertains to Silverymoon's Wards. In the FRCS and Silver Marches, the how and why of the wards are mostly explained, but the only distance covered for application of the ward's effects is to 1,000 ft outside the walls of the city. Protection is listed as applying both above and below the city, but how far? This is relevant to my campaign, as I need to figure out how far down to send the players before they can get to a portal that will work without having a ward token.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2006 :  19:25:12  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
I can't say about Silverymoon, but Myth Drannor's mythal extends 700 feet above and below the ground. Since Silverymoon's wards are somewhat reminescent of mythals, that'd be a place to start.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2006 :  19:34:55  Show Profile
Unfortunately, the mythal spell seed is missing two crucial pieces of information that are integral to figuring that out-an area shape and an area type(the latter being spread, emanation, or burst.) From what we know about mythals, I'd suggest that it's spherically shaped and an emanation that uses spread rules for expansion, but that isn't official.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2006 :  21:39:44  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly RupertYes, there is plenty of reason for people to trust Khelben, and to believe that he's working towards a good end. But that's mostly his past actions, prior to the Schism. His actions that caused the Schism, and the actions since, easily look like the actions of a traitor -- especially if that's what you want to see, or if you've no reason to believe otherwise.

Aye... this is a very important point when considering the actions of Khelben with regard to the formation of the Moonstars. It tells us a great deal about his internal motivations and how, on the whole, he sees the Realms.

I'd never say that Khelben is an extremely arrogant individual,

Funny--I would.

quote:
but his choices regarding the Scepter and the creation of the Moonstars tells us that he may be following a path that only he can interpret -- or a pre-defined plan of sorts, and that he sees his actions as wholly necessary. For him, at least... and maybe those closest to him, Laeral for example, the end WILL justify the means he's undertaken to get to where ever the purpose of the Moonstars lead.

And The Sage wins the poorly-stuffed Otyugh doll!

Remember that this is a guy who's personally very committed to the Harpers and its cause--his parents were among the Harpers in Twilight and it's partially a need to see their works continue. He's also helped refound the order at least twice. The fact that he seems to be working at odds with the Harpers should

A) tell you something about how he feels about the current Harper leadership;
B) tell you that he may be manipulating them into reacting in particular ways to get them into positions they might not normally take (even without realizing that Khelben's manipulating them); and
C) reveal that a 910-year-old wizard has many irons in the fire at once and if he stopped to explain himself, it might upset 8 other plans and intrigues he has going at once.

And despite all that above, it doesn't tell you anything more about what's to come in BLACKSTAFF, as the Harper Schism doesn't play a role in the story, save as background detail of a minor sort.

Steven
who has to better learn how to keep his mouth shut like Eddie...

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com

Edited by - Steven Schend on 08 Jan 2006 21:43:10
Go to Top of Page

Rowan
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2006 :  22:06:26  Show Profile  Visit Rowan's Homepage Send Rowan a Private Message
Yes, Khelben is a powerful archmage and Mystra's Chosen, so it's obvious he can vaguely see into the future and is attempting to manipulate events so the Realms are prepared for whatever he sees, which must be dire indeed for him to make a deal with the Zhentarim.
Go to Top of Page

Milith holder of HB8
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2006 :  22:10:15  Show Profile  Visit Milith holder of HB8's Homepage Send Milith holder of HB8 a Private Message
Does Shar have the Shadow weave portfolio, or is that up for grabs? I was wondering since it dosn't say that she has it, but it wouldn't make any sense if she didn't as any other god could just take it from under her nose. Or would they have to discover the secret of using it first? How exactly does Shar keep controle of the Shadow Weave? I was just wondering since I'm playing in a FR setting and I'm playing a homemade class that allows me to become a Demi-god (the Godling, its balanced just so you know.) and me and my DM wanted to know if I could just take it from under her nose without a fight.(one of which I would lose)

Hey, babe, see my shiny teeth as I smile my very best wolf smile- Ed Greenwood.

Edited by - Milith holder of HB8 on 08 Jan 2006 22:13:54
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2006 :  23:27:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Milith holder of HB8

Does Shar have the Shadow weave portfolio, or is that up for grabs? I was wondering since it dosn't say that she has it, but it wouldn't make any sense if she didn't as any other god could just take it from under her nose. Or would they have to discover the secret of using it first? How exactly does Shar keep controle of the Shadow Weave? I was just wondering since I'm playing in a FR setting and I'm playing a homemade class that allows me to become a Demi-god (the Godling, its balanced just so you know.) and me and my DM wanted to know if I could just take it from under her nose without a fight.(one of which I would lose)

Shar created the Shadow Weave... And it's composed of shadows within the proper Weave. It may not say that she controls the Shadow Weave, but it's all hers.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2006 :  23:34:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Yes, Khelben is a powerful archmage and Mystra's Chosen, so it's obvious he can vaguely see into the future and is attempting to manipulate events so the Realms are prepared for whatever he sees, which must be dire indeed for him to make a deal with the Zhentarim.

It's not as much seeing into the future as it is inferring something from what he's read. From page 26 of Cloak & Dagger:

quote:
Few realized that he’s been obsessed with some great threats since the Year of the Laughing Swan (816 DR). While under an assumed name and in his seventh year as a cloistered monk at Candlekeep, Khelben discovered some dire threat within Alaundo's Prophecies and began planning contingencies to thwart it. (Laeral sometimes wonders if he did not have some prophetic flashes himself, for she has read the Prophecies as well, and does not see what Khelben says he saw.) Among the contingencies are his and Elminster’s constant shepherding of the Harpers as a group to combat the threat, but over time, this group slipped out of Khelhen’s control, and he had yet to build the group he felt he needed.

And as much as I enjoy discussing Khelben and the Moonstars, this is Ed's scroll. Perhaps we should take this to a new scroll?

Go to Top of Page

ddporter
Acolyte

26 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2006 :  23:45:16  Show Profile Send ddporter a Private Message
With both temerity and what I hope is not hubris I submit the following question cum suggestions:
I note that discussions of music in the Realms have tended to focus on instruments and melodies, with little attention paid to choral and small-group singing, particularly a capella. It has also seemed mostly to be about human music.
So:
Dwarves: To me, it seems that dwarves would have little difference between male and female voices (in much the same way that it is not unusual for dwarf women to be bearded). Accordingly, and given a stated propensity for plainsong-type music, I 'hear' dwarven ensemble singing sounding much like sea chanties or Welsh and Russian male choirs. Music resembling Gregorian chant (but not restrcited to fourths and fifths) would also be heard.
[Sea chanties, of course, feature a very strong beat to establish a work rhythm. A leader sings verses, the words of which are often improvised, and the others respond with a chorus.]
Other songs might resemble those compsed by Tchesnekoff, Rachmaninoff, or Gretchaninoff.
Elves:
Sun elf songs might sound rather baroque or classical [deliberate and regal, according to Races of Faerûn], such as J.S. Bach, Georg Händel, or Josef Haydn.
Moon elves are less haughty, but surely appreciate lush harmonies just as much. Perhaps Ralph Vaughn Williams, Johannes Brahms, or Randall Thompson might serve as examples, or for smaller groups, trios and quartets from Gilbert and Sullivan operettas.
I imagine gnomes would rather appreciate close harmony and madrigal-type songs, perhaps even something similar to Earth's barbershop (lots of sevenths).
Halflings might develop something that sound a little like bluegrass, with its improvised vocal harmonies. And drinking songs, of course.
Goblinoids would probably have mostly drums and chants, not particularly tuneful at that, and rather bloodthirsty. Marching songs.
So my question to the Realmsmaster is, how far off base am I? What might the cultures I haven't listed sound like?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  00:30:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Steven SchendFunny--I would.
I knew you were going to say that!

quote:
And The Sage wins the poorly-stuffed Otyugh doll!
Great! Give me the ugly one .

quote:
And despite all that above, it doesn't tell you anything more about what's to come in BLACKSTAFF, as the Harper Schism doesn't play a role in the story, save as background detail of a minor sort.
Nevermind. We have you here anyway .

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

And as much as I enjoy discussing Khelben and the Moonstars, this is Ed's scroll. Perhaps we should take this to a new scroll?
I quite agree. Otherwise we might just have to rename this particular scroll... .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000