Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2006 :  23:32:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Delete Topic
Well met

This being a continued collection of scrolls of any questions the Scribes and visitors of Candlekeep wish to put to a master who needs no introduction, namely - Ed Greenwood, creator of the Forgotten Realms.

Ed's works include MANY FR sourcebooks and numerous novels, such as Cormyr: A Novel, Spellfire, Silverfall, The Shadows of the Avatar Trilogy and The Elminster Series, to name but a few.

Present your questions herein and check back to see what news may also come forth from the quill of this author.

For previous entries of the many, many writings of lore by Ed, please see the 2006 entries in this collection of scrolls and the 2005 entries here, and the 2004 entries here. 'ware, these run into over 80 pages, ye may be reading for some time. For a concise read of Ed's replies, visit the So Saith Ed page on the Candlekeep site.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 31 Dec 2006 23:39:21

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2006 :  23:49:21  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message
Happy New Year Ed & Lovely Hooded One! I was wondering if dwarves ever use or have used golems or constructs to aid them in the tedious task of digging their mines, halls and grand underground cities?
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2006 :  23:54:11  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message
Here is a question about dwarven agriculture: do dwarves ever use continual daylight spells to farm above-ground crops like wheat, barley or corn in underground caverns?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2007 :  00:07:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

Here is a question about dwarven agriculture: do dwarves ever use continual daylight spells to farm above-ground crops like wheat, barley or corn in underground caverns?

Hmmm... Just a thought...

I would think, possibly, that a type of "lesser" glowstone that uses a continual daylight spell, could be fashioned by the dwarves in order to be utilised in such a capacity.

These lesser glowstones may focus more on their daylight-giving properties, rather than their weapon and/or recharging functions.

Edited by - The Sage on 01 Jan 2007 00:30:09
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2007 :  00:22:48  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Happy New year Ed, THO, and all my fellow scribes! I hope the new year brings an overflowing cornucopia of Realms lore our way.

Be safe
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2007 :  01:00:28  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Happy New Year !
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2007 :  04:48:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well said, AlorinDawn!
And Happy New Year back to all scribes!
I'm hoisting a glass here, and Ed just phoned; he came up from his basement keyboard (pounding on it all day to generate new Realmslore for us all) to share a toast with his lady, ere returning to work (!) crafting more glorious Realmslore for us all!
Love to all! (Drops gown to floor, stands proudly bared, raises glass at computer screen)
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 01 Jan 2007 04:49:26
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2007 :  11:06:59  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Well said, AlorinDawn!
And Happy New Year back to all scribes!
I'm hoisting a glass here, and Ed just phoned; he came up from his basement keyboard (pounding on it all day to generate new Realmslore for us all) to share a toast with his lady, ere returning to work (!) crafting more glorious Realmslore for us all!
Love to all! (Drops gown to floor, stands proudly bared, raises glass at computer screen)
THO

Wow. Ok, now I'm glad I'm a scribe. So, how are you doing?

Happy New Year, and a best wishes to all scribes and inhabitants of the Realms.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2007 :  11:12:04  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
A happy new year to you Ed and the Hooded One. May it be filled with plenty of Realmslore (and perhaps a little time off to keep the enthusiasm going)

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Hawkfeather
Seeker

Brazil
64 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2007 :  14:48:09  Show Profile Send Hawkfeather a Private Message
Happy New Year to all of you! And thanks Ed (and, of course, THO) for the answer about the Zentharim and the Heralds.

I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind (and if there's no NDA about it). I started a new game last year that is located in the Shaar. So I have a question about Shaarmid and another about the nomads. Who/Which are the rulers, the laws, the power groups, hidden cabals (if there's any), temples, shrines, guilds and notable persons of the city? As for the nomads, Shining South soucerbook states that the various tribes differ "in dress, horse coloration, dwelling styles, weapon styles and decorations". Could you give us a more precise description about this differences?

Any information you could share will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Edited by - Hawkfeather on 01 Jan 2007 14:53:34
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2007 :  15:59:37  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message
Happy New Years Ed and THO,

A little background to this question first. My wife loves the artwork of Edward Blair Leighton, Frank Dicksee, Waterhouse, and others of that style. One of her favorites is God Speed by Leighton, showing a lady tying a favor around the arm of a mounted knight. (call me a romantic, if you will, but I like it, too.)
Aside from the purple scarf worn by a lady in Cormyr, are there any traditions of favors being given or worn by either sex in Faerun? I would expect there would be a lot of changes for race, culture, and region, but are there any generalities you could share?

Thank you for all the work and answers you provide, and to THO for being the link (and lore support hotline for some) to Candlekeep.

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2007 :  16:18:12  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
A happy New Year to Ed and the Sweet Lady of the Hood.

A short question for the ever increasing pile; in the 1ed. Campaign setting at page 6 it is stated that weeks in the Realms are known as Eves, Tendays, Domen. Hyrar and Rides. I just wondered, where and among whom are these names used. Also, do these same culture /peoples use other names for the months and seasons ?

Jorkens ( as always eager for a word from the Hooded One)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2007 :  16:39:25  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Mkhaiwati, Ed has an upstairs room joining the (new) master bedroom to the older part of his house, that's known as "the gallery" because it's where a lot of fantasy art (prints, not originals; Ed's never made much money from his writing) is on the walls - - and a HUGE print of God Speed (accompanied by a smaller version of the companion painting, wherein a queen is dubbing a kneeling knight) is hanging in pride of place!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2007 :  21:36:09  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
Ah, Kalendis Ianuariis, 2760 years after the founding of Roma Aeterna. Those were the days ...

Happy New Year to Ed and the Hooded Lady!

And as I see Selūne's equivalent outside the window, was Toril actually given a Solar system and named companion planets? Speaking of which, one sourcebook said that Toril was actually a moon, which raises the question ... of which planet? See, the questions in 2760 gone thick and fast!

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 01 Jan 2007 21:37:25
Go to Top of Page

Besshalar
Learned Scribe

Finland
166 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2007 :  21:36:54  Show Profile  Visit Besshalar's Homepage Send Besshalar a Private Message
Greetings Ed and THO,

I feel that the lore that there has been on the Deepspawn is rather scarce and that their entry in the monster manual is a very general one and doesn't really have any indication as to what these creatures are after . Also by all accounts they don't really seem creatures of genius intellect as they seem to always appear more as cloning automats for other creatures. So I would appreciate any and all elaboration on the deepspawn . Thank you oh and a happy new year !!!

The large print giveth , and the small print taketh away.
-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2007 :  22:35:26  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

And as I see Selūne's equivalent outside the window, was Toril actually given a Solar system and named companion planets?

Yes, Realmspace is detailed in the sourcebook of the same name in the Spelljammer line of sourcebooks. This info is also, partially, mentioned in the back of the FRCS. The FRCS mentions three of the known planets even though there are more.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 01 Jan 2007 22:36:18
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2007 :  23:32:39  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ZananSpeaking of which, one sourcebook said that Toril was actually a moon, which raises the question ... of which planet? See, the questions in 2760 gone thick and fast!

-What sourcebook was that!? As Kuje pointed out, the Realmspace sourcebook details...well, Realmspace. Toril is most definitley not a moon of another planet.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2007 :  23:43:19  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

quote:
Originally posted by ZananSpeaking of which, one sourcebook said that Toril was actually a moon, which raises the question ... of which planet? See, the questions in 2760 gone thick and fast!

-What sourcebook was that!? As Kuje pointed out, the Realmspace sourcebook details...well, Realmspace. Toril is most definitley not a moon of another planet.

That's what I was wondering but I wasn't going to ask in this thread, but since you did.... :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2007 :  23:54:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

And as I see Selūne's equivalent outside the window, was Toril actually given a Solar system and named companion planets?

Yes, Realmspace is detailed in the sourcebook of the same name in the Spelljammer line of sourcebooks. This info is also, partially, mentioned in the back of the FRCS. The FRCS mentions three of the known planets even though there are more.

You'll also find a lot of the lore, paraphrased in parts, at the spelljammer.org website.

Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  01:00:24  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
quote:

Ed's never made much money from his writing

Somewhat surprising to me, considering how the Forgotten Realms is practically a ubiquitous brand-name of fantasy these days.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  01:48:31  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

quote:

Ed's never made much money from his writing

Somewhat surprising to me, considering how the Forgotten Realms is practically a ubiquitous brand-name of fantasy these days.

-I'm sure that it's WotC that is making the "big bucks".

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Rolindin
Acolyte

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  01:54:08  Show Profile  Visit Rolindin's Homepage Send Rolindin a Private Message
I have read different sorces on dwarfs and the kinds of foods they have under ground.
A question for Mr. Greewood is do the dwarfs of the realms also have blind fish in their halls, do they breed them for their halls in pools?
Do the dwarfs have different kinds of underground fish, that are different from blind fish? If so what kinds of different kinds of fish would they have, that the dwarfs could breed for a food sorce.

If this is no trouble for you to answer Mr. Greenwood.

I can imagion different dwarf families that make up the clans having their own pools of blind fish. With each family having bragging rights as to how big they can make the blind fish grow. With each family having their own different spices (underground mushrooms and other types of things) to add flavors to the blind fish or other types of fish (blind fish is the only type I have heard of or read about so far).

Edited by - Rolindin on 02 Jan 2007 02:06:34
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  05:25:48  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Ed and THO,

Couple O questions...

Is coffee drank in the Realms (I think I remember it being offered in Aurora's Whole Realm Catalog)? If so, can you tell me how popular coffee is, where it's grown, and the prices it commands?

In The Power of Faerun the marshall was lightly discused. What would be an appropriate income range for a marshall?

Thanks =)

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 02 Jan 2007 05:31:58
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  05:33:50  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

Ed and THO,

Couple O questions...

Is coffee drank in the Realms (I think I remember it being offered in Aurora's Whole Realm Catalog)? If so, can you tell me how popular coffee is, where it's grown, and the prices it commands?

In The Power of Faerun the marshall was lightly discused. What would be an appropriate income range for a marshall?

Thanks =)

check out the trade map on pages 88 and 89 of the FRC Coffee is listed on the map

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  05:50:33  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

Ed and THO,

Couple O questions...

Thanks =)

check out the trade map on pages 88 and 89 of the FRC Coffee is listed on the map

It's also used in Zakhara a lot. They have a whole coffee ceremony, especially amongst the nomad tribes.

I even think Ed's discussed coffee in his replies before.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  06:09:43  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Hiya Ed,

Short question here.

Thoele Raervrun in the Oeble write up in Power of Faerun says that he's been enspelled into a minotaur shape. I'm wondering if the listing of him being human is a error?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  11:24:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

Ed and THO,

Couple O questions...

Thanks =)

It's also used in Zakhara a lot. They have a whole coffee ceremony, especially amongst the nomad tribes.
The Bedine cultivate coffee crops, given that it is considered their favorite drink -- hot salted-coffee. They also make use of rubbed coffee-grounds for dye.

Coffee is often served at the Fifth Nights function hosted by the Wizards Guild in Ravens Bluff.

Coffee is grown in Semphar.

Sweetened coffee is a popular beverage served in Duirtanal.

Coffee is grown in Ulgarth. As well as in Durpar where it is that country's most profitable export.

Shining South notes that coffee is popular in most southeastern lands of the Realms, and is becoming popular in other regions across the Realms as well.
quote:
I even think Ed's discussed coffee in his replies before.

Specifically, March 6, 2005 and August 4, 2005.

Edited by - The Sage on 02 Jan 2007 11:25:27
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  17:49:32  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

quote:

Well, initially I was thinking of the Forgotten Realms Atlas, but that book speaks of the planet Abeir-Toril. I definitely read in one sourcebook about Toril being a moon, though it was an old one. Once I find this bit of scroll, I'll post it.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  21:27:41  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
No, Toril is not (and never was) a moon. But (though NDAs prevent me from saying one word more on this), I remind scribes that the name is Abeir-Toril, and for the last few decades, all we've seen is Toril. Hint. Hint.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  22:33:43  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:

No, Toril is not (and never was) a moon. But (though NDAs prevent me from saying one word more on this), I remind scribes that the name is Abeir-Toril, and for the last few decades, all we've seen is Toril. Hint. Hint.
love,
THO

Interesting, I found a claim at http://everything2.com/index.pl?node=Toril that states
quote:
Ed Greenwood created Faerūn, but the name Toril was invented by Jeff Grubb (originally name for his own campaign). Apparently, the full name "Abeir-Toril" was added because they wanted the first entry in the alphabetical index to say something about the world.

The statement/interpertation appears to be based on one or more of these sources.
quote:
Anonymous. "Interview of Jeff Grubb". Dragonlance Nexus, 29/4/2001. Online. <URL:http://www.dl3e.com/inn/companionsdisplay.asp?id=11253>. Accessed 2003-01-12.
Ed Greenwood, Skip Williams, Sean K. Reynolds and Rob Heinsoo. Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, 6/2001. Wizards of the Coast, Third edition, 6/2001. ISBN 0-7869-1836-5.
Jeff Grubb. "The Origin of the Name 'Toril'". Yet Another Forgotten Realms Page, 12/5/2001. Online. <URL:http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/2566/jg-toril.htm>. Accessed 2003-01-12.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  23:25:25  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Yes,

Jeff Grubb did invent the name of Abeir-Toril as well as Waukeen. :)

Edited by - Kuje on 02 Jan 2007 23:25:53
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000