Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2007 :  18:17:14  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Ed I assume the various creatures in faerun have unique smells, just as one here can clearly smell the difference between a dog and a fish, so with this train of thought I wonder if shapechangers like the Maluagrym, Rakshaha, Dragons and Dopplegangers and such have a unique smell that would possibly alert a being familiar with them to discern their true nature?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2007 :  20:44:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Excellent question!

Now, I just want to go on record saying that if responding to us or any other fans will cut into his work-time for the new FRCS, I personally can live with his complete silence until next August.

The more single-minded he is on the project, the more I feel our chances of getting something truly spectacular out of all of this.

So lock your office door Ed.... don't worry about us... we'll be just fine.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Sep 2007 20:45:00
Go to Top of Page

Warrax
Learned Scribe

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2007 :  23:37:21  Show Profile  Visit Warrax's Homepage Send Warrax a Private Message
Oh wow, that was a cool question, createvmind...
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2007 :  01:36:15  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
Quote from Richard Baker's Web Blog: "Speaking of sunshine, here's a nice little ray of it I can share with everybody today: We've managed to book Ed Greenwood for 50,000 words of the new 4th Edition Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide. You might wonder why that would be something that even be remotely in question, but the fact is that Ed's a very busy guy with a number of other writing commitments (most notably for our own Forgotten Realms novels!) so it took some scheduling gymnastics on our part to make sure we could have him for a couple of months of writing time.

In light of that, our story team had a good meeting specifically about FR yesterday afternoon. We reviewed our original revision plans (they're almost two years old) and talked about where we are with the project, and we kicked around the question of how much "course correction" we want to make now that you fans have responded to some of the big reveals at the end of the Grand History. We're not pitching the plan and starting over (if that's what you were hoping for, sorry, ain't gonna happen), but we are definitely tweaking the plan to speak to some of the how-can-this-still-be-the-Realms! concerns that are out there. I like where we got to, and I think most of you will too."

Having seen this, looks like when you talk to the right people they listen. So let them know how you would handle it.

Mmm Hooded what is the 50,000 4th Edition Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide that Richard is referring to? Can you shed some light on that for us?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2007 :  03:30:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
An odd, and hopefully quick query to add to my ever-growing queue: Has Azoun IV any bastards that are some race other than human?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2007 :  03:40:15  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

An odd, and hopefully quick query to add to my ever-growing queue: Has Azoun IV any bastards that are some race other than human?

Hm . . . I had never thought of that, and I'm surprised no one else has either . . . good question Wooly.
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2007 :  03:40:45  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thanks Warrax
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2007 :  04:26:51  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message
createvmind: I don't know so much about the others, but many dragon types have a "typical smell" included in their write-ups in the Monster Manual(s). (It varies by the variety.)

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2007 :  06:44:15  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by freyar

createvmind: I don't know so much about the others, but many dragon types have a "typical smell" included in their write-ups in the Monster Manual(s). (It varies by the variety.)

Yes, but only in their original draconic form (e. g. gold dragons smells of saffron and incense), but I am sure that this is not the case when they assume human guise. Otherwise that would lead to interesting encounters if such a “human” meets others of his “kind”. (Axe effect, anyone? )

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2007 :  22:51:43  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan
Yes, but only in their original draconic form (e. g. gold dragons smells of saffron and incense), but I am sure that this is not the case when they assume human guise. Otherwise that would lead to interesting encounters if such a “human” meets others of his “kind”. (Axe effect, anyone? )

Heehee. Not sure if this is in the MM or not, but there's a free adventure from WotC (Bad Moon Waning, I think, is the title) that claims werewolves can smell out other werewolves even in human form. I'd guess that maybe you could notice the dragon/other smell if you have the scent ability? Ok, ending the threadjack here... But a most serious question, do most the masquerading dragons know who each other are or not?

Go to Top of Page

Randal_Dundragon
Seeker

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2007 :  00:12:46  Show Profile Send Randal_Dundragon a Private Message
Mr. Greenwood, I was wondering if you could tell me what Mage schools are in faerun and what exactly they teach (Any particular areas of Magic) and maybe who is leading them?

Its simple really, Your an idiot and I'm simply a figment of your imagination
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2007 :  01:27:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. This time Ed pounces on a recent question from createvmind: “Hello All,
Ed I assume the various creatures in Faerűn have unique smells, just as one here can clearly smell the difference between a dog and a fish, so with this train of thought I wonder if shapechangers like the Maluagrym, Rakshaha, Dragons and Dopplegangers and such have a unique smell that would possibly alert a being familiar with them to discern their true nature?”
Ed replies:

NICE question. Dragons have various “metallic tang” smells when in their own form, but don’t have a strong “smell” at all when in human form (or Mirt and Durnan would have sussed out the “lady” in my REALMS OF THE DRAGONS story - - and NO gold dragons would be able to “hide” for long among humans, in Waterdeep or elsewhere). Malaugrym are humans with a shapechanging ability (they are “the Blood of Malaug,” and he was a human mage) and smell like humans. Doppelgangers don’t have a smell at all, EXCEPT when scorched or burned (whereupon they have a horrid “cooked slime” smell rather than the bacon-like smell of human flesh). Rakshasa have a tiger-like smell that they bathe daily to “keep down” (they only get really “whiff” if they’ve sweated for two days or more, and eaten raw meat, but know this well, and work to quell it). None of these creatures (except the Rakshasa, in conditions I’ve just noted) has a strong enough smell for dogs or other scent-trackers to reliably identify or follow. A “sniffer” might notice that a human (actually a doppelganger) doesn’t seem to have any scent AT ALL, but it’s rare that they get the chance, because the Realms, from the wilderland outdoors to crowded cities and muddy tavern years along high roads, abounds in smells.

So saith Ed, Old Bloodhound of the Realms.
Love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Rolindin
Acolyte

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2007 :  10:43:25  Show Profile  Visit Rolindin's Homepage Send Rolindin a Private Message
Hello Mr, greenwood.
A quick question, I do know your busy and such.
Back on page 52 about the retirment of war wizards.
The question that come to my mind is this.
The retired war wizards that train be it in for a family or they take on students.

What do they look for in a student to train as a future war wizard.
What qualites are they looking for?

When their training is finished, does the retired war wizard introduce them to the board ( for the test), or is that left up to another war wizard. by this I mean does the retired war wizard train them just so far and then send them to another active war wizard to polish their training and that wizard then introduces them to the test board?
what is the common practice for a retired war wizard, to trian the student so far and then stop. Then send the student to a active war wizard or does the retired war wizard train them and present them to the test bopard?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2007 :  15:30:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all! This time Ed responds to Warrax’s query: “Ed, I have a question for you that's completely unrelated to the Forgotten Realms, if that's OK?
When you were writing 'The Kingless Land,' did you spend much time developing Aglirta first or did you get a basic gist of everything and develop the setting as you progressed through the plot?
Incidentally, while the story (and the series) is great itself, I think the opening sequence of that book may be my favorite opening to any fantasy book.
OK, we need coin so that we can get in out of the cold and get some food in us before everyone tries to kill us for being outlaws, what do we do?
I know, I know! We steal a dress!
Great stuff, really. :D”
Ed replies:

Oh, I’d not say it’s completely unrelated, because it’s still worldbuilding.
As it happens, I came up with the setting first, because the idea of the verdant river valley hemmed in by dangerous/inhospitable hills and crags, that in turn constricts all the humans together in a series of warring baronies, is what intrigued me. It’s a GREAT roleplaying campaign setting, if properly handled (fallen/missing king, ambitious barons fighting little wars with each other constantly, everyone else just trying to survive, wealthy “common ground” independent port city at the river mouth, etc.). To that I bolted on the haunted/everchanging cursed palace (the ultimate dungeon; I even gave it its own book, THE SILENT HOUSE, as a capstone to the series), and then let my characters (editorial commandment: one will correspond to each of the four D&D “root” character class types) loose in it.
I wanted to explore HOW (and why) such a band of adventurers would ever get together, so the dress was my way of roping the beautiful lady who happens to be a mage into the group (I knew I wanted to start with two “war buddies”). And, yes, I chose a dress to poke fun at the “gee, look at this convenient treasure just heaped up here in this room Conan staggers into; that NEVER happens, no?” fantasy trope.

So saith Ed. Who creates worlds for a living, and right now is hard at work on new Realms goodies for us all.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2007 :  02:56:23  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
My apologies, Lady Hooded One, but I just can't find my query to Ed regarding certain Chronomantic spells, so I repost it now, amended and corrected: I know Ed doesn't approve of the Chronomancer class, but are spells such as Scry the Ages and Temporal Eye (from the Chronomancer book itself), which allow a scryer to check out other times, usable in the Realms?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 26 Sep 2007 02:57:16
Go to Top of Page

Warrax
Learned Scribe

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2007 :  16:27:28  Show Profile  Visit Warrax's Homepage Send Warrax a Private Message
Sargh! I can't make it to the library tomorrow; it's my dad's birthday and we're going out to dinner. Hopefully I'll be able to catch you the next time you swing by this area...

Thanks for the reply regarding Aglirta! So you built the setting first and then loosed your maddened characters therein, yes? I need to grab The Silent House.... Sarasper was all manner and hue of entertainment.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2007 :  18:58:12  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Well met! If it's not NDA, will Ed please tell us what specific type of undead the Skulls are (demiliches, perhaps), or are they sui generis?

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2007 :  19:11:54  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
I, too, have a query unrelated to the Realms, Ed: based upon your recommendation I checked out Michael A. Stackpole's Secret Atlas series, and the blurb on the first book's cover referred the reader to (as I recall) wavewolf.com, Stackpole's official web site, for a glossary and pronunciation guide. Alas, there was nothing of the sort there, and the whole site had a "gutted" look. Do you, Ed, or perhaps someone else here, know where such a pronunciation guide and glossary may be found? It's dizzying to read more than a few pages of those books without some sort of vade mecum. A big trilogy? Ai, yi, yi, yi, yi!

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 26 Sep 2007 19:27:57
Go to Top of Page

Nevorick
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2007 :  19:19:32  Show Profile  Visit Nevorick's Homepage Send Nevorick a Private Message
Greetings to all gentle Candlekeep scholars, Lady THO, and Ed,

If it has not been buried in the bottomless mines of NDA, I was wondering if we could learn which royal pairing produced the two princesses of Cormyr, Princess Elmyra and Princess Hlassela? Also has any other information regarding the duo been published in anything other than Dragon #69?

Tsk, Tsk, my lady...Do not be getting any rowdy ideas, now. I was only referring to the issue, nothing more. ;)

Your humble servant,
Nevorick Julahasa, Bard of Waterdeep

"What happens in Waterdeep, stays in Waterdeep."
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2007 :  20:35:25  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Well met! If it's not NDA, will Ed please tell us what specific type of undead the Skulls are (demiliches, perhaps), or are they sui generis?

You mean in his "home" campaign ?

3.5E Skulls can be found in ELB's CoS. (and an unofficial version in ELB and TC monsters guide)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2007 :  21:31:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

I, too, have a query unrelated to the Realms, Ed: based upon your recommendation I checked out Michael A. Stackpole's Secret Atlas series, and the blurb on the first book's cover referred the reader to (as I recall) wavewolf.com, Stackpole's official web site, for a glossary and pronunciation guide. Alas, there was nothing of the sort there, and the whole site had a "gutted" look. Do you, Ed, or perhaps someone else here, know where such a pronunciation guide and glossary may be found? It's dizzying to read more than a few pages of those books without some sort of vade mecum. A big trilogy? Ai, yi, yi, yi, yi!

You may have the wrong website... The only Stackpole site I know of is http://www.stormwolf.com
The glossary is here:
http://www.michaelastackpole.com/?p=36

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 26 Sep 2007 21:32:44
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2007 :  22:09:01  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Ed, Is it possible to teleport an opposing creatures armor or item by touching it, has anyone in your home games ever attempted such a thing and if so how did you play it out? I for some reason think that a person has to touch the flesh of a ally to translocate them, thus the ability to take them out of chains and shackles via the spell. So that lead me to thinking how to take just objects on or carried by a person and how to do such a thing within Faerun, not D&D spell mechanics.

Thanks for the quick reponse on the odors query :)
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2007 :  01:23:09  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message
Dear Ed and Lady THO (boy, does that sound familiar!),

Going back through the old WotC Realmslore articles, I've just read about the Waterdeep broadcryers and am wondering what broadsheets or similar publications are like in other major cities of the Realms. I admit to a specific interest in Silverymoon, as I'm running a campaign there at the moment. Many thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2007 :  03:56:11  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

I would like to ask a few paladin questions, if I may. When a paladin passes on, what happens to his belongings exactly? Do they get interred with him, (armor, shield, holy avenger, etc.), or do they go to his surviving family? If one of the paladin's children became a paladin, would they receive their father's holy weapon? What if that person already had a holy weapon? Would it go then to the church? How exactly are these decisions reached, also?

Just a respectful bump, if I may.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2007 :  12:19:32  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by freyar

Dear Ed and Lady THO (boy, does that sound familiar!),

Going back through the old WotC Realmslore articles, I've just read about the Waterdeep broadcryers and am wondering what broadsheets or similar publications are like in other major cities of the Realms. I admit to a specific interest in Silverymoon, as I'm running a campaign there at the moment. Many thanks!

IIRC, Ed´s already talked about Silverymoon and Everlund broadcryers, here in the Keep. Take a look in Kuje´s compilations for that info.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2007 :  15:43:36  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin
IIRC, Ed´s already talked about Silverymoon and Everlund broadcryers, here in the Keep. Take a look in Kuje´s compilations for that info.

Will, do, thanks!

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2007 :  15:52:04  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
Just a small question of littl import, but as my sleep has dwindled as the birth of our 2nd child(1st son) draws near(Fri 5:30am est) I am getting less and less sleep.
I was just curious as to how much sleep Ed usually gets between all that he has going on?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2007 :  16:51:42  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

I was just curious as to how much sleep Ed usually gets between all that he has going on?

Not much. :) There's been a few references about it in Ed's replies since 2004. No, I don't have dates for them because.... it wasn't something I paid much attention to, unlike Realmslore. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2007 :  17:28:46  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Hi again Ed and the Hooded One. Here's something that's been sort of bugging me since I read the loooong debate Ed and a poster had about the War Wizards of Cormyr not being organised like the US army (in purpose and style of operation they've always reminded me more of STASI, but nevermind).

Exactly how much of the Obarskyr's current troubles with the Cormyrean nobles stem from resentment (on the nobles' part) over the way that Vangerdahast and the War Wizards would stick (is sticking) their noses into everything?

Oh, and though Vangey's one of my favourite characters, I must say that the thing I'm looking forward most to in Swords of Dragonfire is seeing the adolescent Princess Alusair.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2007 :  17:30:51  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Ed, any tips for reading faster? I have a ceiling-high stack of fiction and non-fiction books but cannot manage finishing a chapter or two every night. Help !
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000