Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2007 :  17:45:21  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Try to move your eyes as little as possible while you read.

Oh, and even more simply. Read more.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2007 :  17:50:25  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

Ed, any tips for reading faster? I have a ceiling-high stack of fiction and non-fiction books but cannot manage finishing a chapter or two every night. Help !

I'm curious about how Ed will answer this.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2007 :  18:03:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I didn't get an answer on my "Halfling midgets" question, but thats Okay, I realize the man is busier then a Moonsea Harper.

Anyhow, I have a new question - one that will help make a painful decision I am considering.

With all the stuff Ed has going on, including his new commitments to the 4e FRCS, does he plan on continuiing work on Castlemourn?

I want to pick-up the setting, but not if its going to be a dead-end.

Thanks in Advance - Mark

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Sep 2007 18:04:38
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2007 :  18:33:36  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Try to move your eyes as little as possible while you read.

Ouch !
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2007 :  18:45:39  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I didn't get an answer on my "Halfling midgets" question, but thats Okay, I realize the man is busier then a Moonsea Harper.

Anyhow, I have a new question - one that will help make a painful decision I am considering.

With all the stuff Ed has going on, including his new commitments to the 4e FRCS, does he plan on continuiing work on Castlemourn?

I want to pick-up the setting, but not if its going to be a dead-end.

Thanks in Advance - Mark

Mark,

Even if Castlemourn is a dead end, the setting is well worth picking up and going with just on the single product. I had asked Ed in a previous thread if there were any more plans for Castlemourn, and iirc he indicated that he and Margaret Weis wanted to do more with the setting.

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 27 Sep 2007 18:58:30
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2007 :  20:37:00  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
For those who are still waiting for answers, give Ed some time. So please don't bump them and have patience, a lot of patience. Do remember, some of us are waiting for answers from questions we posted one to three years ago. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2007 :  20:51:50  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

I, too, have a query unrelated to the Realms, Ed: based upon your recommendation I checked out Michael A. Stackpole's Secret Atlas series

(snip)

You may have the wrong website... The only Stackpole site I know of is http://www.stormwolf.com
The glossary is here:
http://www.michaelastackpole.com/?p=36

Thanks, Wooly! I prowled that site for hours last month and couldn't find it.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2007 :  20:57:26  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

quote:

Well met! If it's not NDA, will Ed please tell us what specific type of undead the Skulls are (demiliches, perhaps), or are they sui generis?

You mean in his "home" campaign ?

3.5E Skulls can be found in ELB's CoS. (and an unofficial version in ELB and TC monsters guide)

I didn't realize that there might be a difference. I have not had the time to read CoS, but will certainly check it out today; thank you.

If there is a difference, though, perhaps Ed will share some Skulls secrets with us ... ? (I'm reading the Erevis Cale trilogy and the Skulls are a tad ... pertinent!)

Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2007 :  22:38:51  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

For those who are still waiting for answers, give Ed some time. So please don't bump them and have patience, a lot of patience. Do remember, some of us are waiting for answers from questions we posted one to three years ago. :)

I have a strong feeling that this is directed towards me, friend Kuje. My deepest apologies.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2007 :  00:29:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

I'd just like to reinforce this particular reminder, as a Mod.

Remember, our Lady Hooded One has diligently maintained an efficient standard of keeping track of each and every query posted for Ed's attention over the years. And as Kuje notes, a number of us do in fact have questions still outstanding from early '04. We know Ed will get to them in time, as the Lady Hooded One has so patiently reminded us in the past. Just give Ed time. He's a busy man and often has multiple projects going at once -- each of which do demand equal measures of his considerable attention.

Your questions, once posted, remain in this scroll. They aren't archived, or removed after a certain period. Here they remain. Even when a new "Yearly" scroll is opened. The '07 scroll will remain on this shelf as a reference for THO, when the need requires.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 28 Sep 2007 00:30:50
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2007 :  01:41:35  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

quote:

I have a strong feeling that this is directed towards me, friend Kuje. My deepest apologies.

Nay, it was a general statement to everyone because I've seen a few people, lately, express interest in their waiting replies or reasking the questions.

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2007 :  04:02:32  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
Lady Hooded,

Please pass along my most sincere apologies to Ed. I intended to attend his reading in Port Hope tonight but alas, my pregnant wife required my assistance as she has caught a nasty cold yesterday (and being pregnant cannot take any drugs to help with the symptoms).

I will promise this though: I will meet him one day, with a wheelbarrow full of paperbacks for him to sign! (i.e. see the GENCON 2008 scroll...)

It may be a blessing in disguise in fact: now I have no excuses to miss GENCON 2008! I must attend!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2007 :  04:34:31  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Heya Ed,

I've been pondering this for awhile now but I have so many outstanding questions that I've debated back and forth about asking about another topic!

However, I'm really interested if Ed could detail how philosophy is different in FR. Or even include some of the more widely used sayings/quotes related to philosophy and subjects related to philosophy.

If that request isn't clear, let me know and I'll think about it a bit more and get back to you on what I'm trying to ask. :)

Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2007 :  04:37:07  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Lady Hooded,

Please pass along my most sincere apologies to Ed. I intended to attend his reading in Port Hope tonight but alas, my pregnant wife required my assistance as she has caught a nasty cold yesterday (and being pregnant cannot take any drugs to help with the symptoms).

I will promise this though: I will meet him one day, with a wheelbarrow full of paperbacks for him to sign! (i.e. see the GENCON 2008 scroll...)

It may be a blessing in disguise in fact: now I have no excuses to miss GENCON 2008! I must attend!

Hope you make it. I will be there!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2007 :  06:10:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Hmmm... Kuje's query relates a little to something I've been thinking about asking as well. So Ed, I'm tacking my next question onto his, since it also concerns philosophy in the Realms.

Basically, and expaning on Kuje's initial query, I'd like to know more about specific philosophical schools of thought at play in the Realms today, and perhaps even in the past as well. Maybe a few tidbits on current theories, old and largely ignored theories, and even some bits on old schools of thought that, while they may seem ridiculous now, were given significant prominence at times in the past.

Also, I'd like to know a little about two or three philosophers of note in the Realms. We've learned a little in the past, from NPCs who've been referenced as having specific interests in philosophy. But they're largely students of particular philosophical schools -- not the founders or creators of individual schools of philosophical thought.

And Ed, if you feel like this is simply too large a topic to tackle sufficiently here, let me know and I'll attempt to narrow it's focus somewhat.

Edited by - The Sage on 28 Sep 2007 06:10:50
Go to Top of Page

Warrax
Learned Scribe

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2007 :  12:13:25  Show Profile  Visit Warrax's Homepage Send Warrax a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Lady Hooded,

Likewise, I wish I could have made it but 'twas my father's birthday.
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2007 :  13:14:38  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Nay, it was a general statement to everyone because I've seen a few people, lately, express interest in their waiting replies or reasking the questions.

Thanks Kuje, I feel a great deal better now.

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2007 :  17:57:20  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Not so far back in this thread Ed said he didn't mind be prodded for answers to old questions that remain unanswered. I think it's certainly uncommon that any of us bump a question and unless it becomes an issue I don't see why we need to be reminded not to do so.
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2007 :  18:00:11  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Ed & THO,

Besides being the center of worship what other roles do temples play in their communities? I remember you mentioned that seeds and grains were kept by some temples to get communities by in tough times. I also recognize this could vary widely from faith to faith.

Thank you

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 28 Sep 2007 18:00:44
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2007 :  19:24:33  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Hmmm... Kuje's query relates a little to something I've been thinking about asking as well. So Ed, I'm tacking my next question onto his, since it also concerns philosophy in the Realms.

(snip)
Also, I'd like to know a little about two or three philosophers of note in the Realms. We've learned a little in the past, from NPCs who've been referenced as having specific interests in philosophy. But they're largely students of particular philosophical schools -- not the founders or creators of individual schools of philosophical thought.
(snip)

I had a bit of this in mind when I asked Ed about "classics" in Faerun. If I recall correctly, Ed gave some examples of a few writers whose works had become the source of standard admonitory stories (often salacious, too, if I recall aright!).

I think that the difficulty in the notion of philosophers having "schools of philosophy" derived from their thought is that there have been enormous discontinuities in Faerun's past; few states have endured more than a couple of hundred years, and when they went down, they went down with a bang. There are probably enormous quantities of old writings in Faerun, but they are mostly buried or in a form not recognizable to current residents (Elven tree "writing," for example). There are probably some philosophers of Calimshan and the Utter East whose writings have endured, but they may not be readily available to anyone in Faerun who might care enough to actually read them and develop their philosophies.

Let's not forget, either, that Faerun's one "human" deity of philosophy was killed centuries ago (oops!) and the only other noted deities of philosophy (Annam and, to a much lesser extent, Chronepsis) don't ordinarily respond to their own kind, let alone to bothersome humans, elves, and other such creatures.

Still, having just asked Ed a few weeks ago if he'd give us an update on the numerous living sages who have been recorded in FRA and elsewhere, perhaps he might also point us to some famous sages of the distant past, too.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2007 :  23:27:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. This time Ed of the Greenwood responds to Jamallo Kreen re. this query: “Well met! Ed has made it clear that divine magic on Toril comes solely from the gods, so I wonder how Ed would suggest dealing with Heroes of Horror classes like the Archivist and Death Delver (?) who can cast divine spells using "prayerbooks" in the first case and some mysterious and unknown source in the second? Is it possible on Toril to cast "divine" spells by channeling the unthinking forces of positive and negative energy, or must some deity focus that power into clerical magic?”
Ed replies:

Some deity must always focus energy into clerical magic, but NOT necessarily consciously and deliberately in response to each prayer for a spell. In other words, the mind of a deity does NOT have a little internal chamber where a sensor is bellowing: “Incoming request for a flame strike! Fill soonest!” Prayers are a constant din that deities only “listen to” directly when they desire to; divine-spell-requests are like a constant background hum/tug that is answered nigh-automatically by most deities, most of the time (and darned near ALL of the time for what most editions of the game rules refer to as magics of 2nd level and less [yes, including “zero” or “orisons”]).
Here’s the wrinkle: just as the Weave is the way arcane spellcasters harness the raw life energies of the world, and most mortals (and many gods) have only a basic understanding of it (just as in the real world many people drive cars who have only a basic understanding of how they work, and couldn’t fix most technical problems with their own car if their life depended on it), almost all mortals of Faerûn don’t KNOW how the prayers for spells are answered, or even who answers them. It may be servitors of the god they’re praying to, or another god entirely. Some gods, as we know, masquerade as others or work through others or aid others, from time to time. Divine assistance is always needed to “receive” divine spells, but that does not mean that “your god” pays direct attention to “your request” for that spell, or to your use (casting) of it.
Sometimes, however, they DO pay attention, and that’s usually a bad thing for the mortals involved. :}

So saith Ed. Creator of the Realms and most of its gods.
A postscript to PDK and to Warrax: Ed quite understands, and says that’s just fine; there will indeed be other occasions, and he’ll be happy to sign stuff and hang out for as long as he can at any given meeting.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2007 :  00:58:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

I think that the difficulty in the notion of philosophers having "schools of philosophy" derived from their thought is that there have been enormous discontinuities in Faerun's past; few states have endured more than a couple of hundred years, and when they went down, they went down with a bang.
While true, we must also remember that many of the previous states that have existed across the Realms throughout it's history, have often became the partial, or even in its entirety, the foundations for new kingdoms and political spheres -- as we've seen with most human realms. Even if individual schools of philosophical thought weren't granted enough time to be fully nurtured before a particular state fell, the writings of its chief thinkers have likely influenced the society of the realm itself. More than likely, this influence survives in some form -- whether through simple song, artistic pursuits, or even physically maintained through architectural styles and/or the more typical archaeological record that remains after the fall. Consider also, that popular churches and/or religions once active in the now fallen state, may seek to maintain the knowledge to prevent it from being lost entirely. Eventually, as these particular religions and/or thinkers find new ground for expansion in a new kingdom, so does the thoughts and philosophical meanderings of the previous realm.
quote:
There are probably enormous quantities of old writings in Faerun, but they are mostly buried or in a form not recognizable to current residents (Elven tree "writing," for example). There are probably some philosophers of Calimshan and the Utter East whose writings have endured, but they may not be readily available to anyone in Faerun who might care enough to actually read them and develop their philosophies.
True. Though I think certain religious orders may also seek to ensure the distribution of crucial philosophical thinking, especially when it's considered important enough to support their own individual faiths -- much like many of the religions of Earth in our own history. There'd likely be plenty of opportunity for new thinkers to make their own contributions to these "fallen schools of thought" and learn about what the "classical ages" considered important.
quote:
Let's not forget, either, that Faerun's one "human" deity of philosophy was killed centuries ago (oops!) and the only other noted deities of philosophy (Annam and, to a much lesser extent, Chronepsis) don't ordinarily respond to their own kind, let alone to bothersome humans, elves, and other such creatures.
Which is probably why the faith of Oghma is such an important consideration when thinking about the survival of philosophical history in Faerûn. Essential elements of the Ogmanyte dogma are both the "spread of knowledge" and the "recording of information of import to prevent it from being lost." It is in the interests of the Church of Oghma to ensure that such philosophical thinking is not only maintained from previous societies/peoples, but properly understood, and made available to those who would seek to make the most beneficial use of such "ancient" knowledge.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2007 :  02:29:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all! Well met, and hearken ye to Ed of the Greenwood’s latest serving of Realmslore, in response to Penknight’s query: “I would like to ask a few paladin questions, if I may. When a paladin passes on, what happens to his belongings exactly? Do they get interred with him, (armor, shield, holy avenger, etc.), or do they go to his surviving family? If one of the paladin's children became a paladin, would they receive their father's holy weapon? What if that person already had a holy weapon? Would it go then to the church? How exactly are these decisions reached, also?”
Ed replies:

This is one of those “it depends” answers. In this case, it depends on the faith the paladin belongs to, the manner of his death, and so on.
In general: specifically “holy” weapons tend to be recovered by the church (who may well compensate kin and even creditors of the paladin, and will definitely take care of the burial or compensate others who took care of the remains [any may well also recover those remains for reinterment “in the bosom of the church,” i.e. in holy ground or a temple crypt under control of the faith). Relics of the faith worn or used by the fallen paladin, ditto. A token is always passed on to the family, if possible (usually, it’s a dagger and/or helm, if these are not specifically holy or magical).
Every faith has developed its own policies, down the years; the churches of Helm, Tyr, and Torm value passing on material to younger kin (and seeking to recruit said kin to “full dedication to” the faith at the right time), whereas Tempus and the other warlike faiths (aside from these three aforementioned) tend to recover such material for the church.
Here, I would roleplay it however you’d like it to work in your campaign, because local temples have often “done their own thing” over the years, citing “inspiration from the god” that came to their senior clergy in dreams, altar prayer-visions, and the like.

So saith Ed, reiterating the “wiggle room” he has used in the “home” Realms campaign.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2007 :  15:07:39  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message
quote:
quote:
Which is probably why the faith of Oghma is such an important consideration when thinking about the survival of philosophical history in Faer�n. Essential elements of the Ogmanyte dogma are both the "spread of knowledge" and the "recording of information of import to prevent it from being lost." It is in the interests of the Church of Oghma to ensure that such philosophical thinking is not only maintained from previous societies/peoples, but properly understood, and made available to those who would seek to make the most beneficial use of such "ancient" knowledge.

Not to horn in on Ed's territory (or Sage's for that matter), but I've a thought on Oghma from my old designing days.

For me, the church of Oghma's importance was in preserving the lore, the knowledge, the actual information of history and the present day. They abhor (or at least the most dogmatic of them) predictions and oracular prophecies. Too vague and inconsistent.

That's where Deneir's church came in. While they're as interested in lore, they're equally if not more interested in the form of that lore and recording/keeping that. Thus, books matter to them as much as what the books hold. Same goes for Imaskari clay tablets, coral carvings from Seros, etc. It's not just knowledge but how it's presented and preserved. That's why bards work more with Deneir's than Oghma's church.

Of course, that's just my uncaffeinated opinion. Thought I'd mention it here to see how far off the beam I am with Ed's (or the Lady Hooded's) opinions. <shrug>

Have a happy and hearty Saturday, all y'all.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2007 :  15:09:29  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
quote:

Basically, and expaning on Kuje's initial query, I'd like to know more about specific philosophical schools of thought at play in the Realms today, and perhaps even in the past as well. Maybe a few tidbits on current theories, old and largely ignored theories, and even some bits on old schools of thought that, while they may seem ridiculous now, were given significant prominence at times in the past.

And Ed, if you feel like this is simply too large a topic to tackle sufficiently here, let me know and I'll attempt to narrow it's focus somewhat.

Hmmm. Drizzt journals? (Sorry, I swear that I try to resist to this... )

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2007 :  15:32:00  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. This time Ed tackles yet another query from Jamallo Kreen (don’t worry, scribes, he will get to you all; JK just seems to have the knack of asking about specific topics that are in Ed’s forebrain for other reasons, such as internal WotC queries or discussions, or Ed’s own design work for our campaign or other purposes), to whit: “My apologies, Lady Hooded One, but I just can't find my query to Ed regarding certain Chronomantic spells, so I repost it now, amended and corrected: I know Ed doesn't approve of the Chronomancer class, but are spells such as Scry the Ages and Temporal Eye (from the Chronomancer book itself), which allow a scryer to check out other times, usable in the Realms?”
Ed replies:

Certainly, but there’s increasing evidence that MOST of the time they “go awry,” and show a caster of those spells “things as they might have been” (or perhaps, things as they befell in alternate versions of the Realms, that are ERHAPS [sages debate this furiously, with no sign of agreement on any horizon] parallel realities) rather than “things as they truly were.”
In other words, those spells, tricky though their successful casting can sometimes be, usually function, in a magical sense, but may impart false lore. This may be deception on the part of a deity or servitor, manipulating the Weave (obviously with Mystra’s agreement or at least tacit acceptance), or it may be the result of a great elder Imaskari, Netherese, or other (Halruaan?) spell that met with the approval of Mystra, and so still “lives” in the Weave, to block accurate scrying either of ALL elder times, or (more likely) many specific events, beings, and places in the past.
So all such “scrying the past” spells are at best, of limited usefulness. They can impart fairly accurate general impressions of climate, topography, architecture, fashion, and presences of common fauna and flora - - but as to watching specific confrontations, encounters, and deeds, not so much. Be warned; some tibble-dabblers have learned this Too Late.

So saith Ed, whose warnings are never to be taken lightly.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2007 :  17:51:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Not to horn in on Ed's territory (or Sage's for that matter), but I've a thought on Oghma from my old designing days.
I don't have a problem. I love your speculations Steven!
quote:
For me, the church of Oghma's importance was in preserving the lore, the knowledge, the actual information of history and the present day. They abhor (or at least the most dogmatic of them) predictions and oracular prophecies. Too vague and inconsistent.
Very true. I suppose, during my own ramblings, that I was considering the more concrete aspects of philosophical thought being held in the preserve of the Church of Oghma. This would be knowledge that has had a significant impact upon the society of a fallen realm, as I indicated above. This impact would tend to leave evidence enough for loremasters of Oghma to detect, and eventually record the type of thinking that they believe should be preserved.

Philosophies of the moment, or schools of thought which haven't had as much impact upon a particular society are, likely, either ignored by the majority of Oghma's faithful. Or, at the very least, relegated to mere "footnotes" in the perserved history of a fallen realm.
quote:
That's where Deneir's church came in. While they're as interested in lore, they're equally if not more interested in the form of that lore and recording/keeping that. Thus, books matter to them as much as what the books hold. Same goes for Imaskari clay tablets, coral carvings from Seros, etc. It's not just knowledge but how it's presented and preserved. That's why bards work more with Deneir's than Oghma's church.
Oooh! I like this.

Interestingly, I can see the Church of Deneir picking up a little of the Church of Oghma's slack with regard to what type of knowledge is ignored by the Oghmanytes. Very likely, the Deneirrath aren't so quick to ignore the more ephemeral philosophical left-overs from a fallen realm. The Church of Deneir interpretes it's primary duty as saving as much as possible, then spending time to determine the importance of what has been copied or recorded. This would probably relate more with what I said earlier about philosophical schools of thought being picked up from previously fallen kingdoms. Such knowledge would likely become a major influence in newly-founded realms that have arisen either directly over the ruins of the old kingdom, or somewhere near by. The Deneirrath would likely view the importance of maintaining such knowledge as crucial, ensuring that it is never lost. Whereupon, its use, as a foundational element for the new realm, is encouraged by the Church of Deneir should they have some influence during the founding of the new realm.

Additionally, I could certainly see the more liberal-thinking Oghmanytes often assisting select Deneirrath with the preservation of ephemeral lore -- since the Church of Oghma is usually directed not to "stifle new ideas." If certain Deneirrath are able to piece together important elements of older philosophical thoughts, and possibly elaborate on them, Oghmanytes are duty-bound to help maintain the process and encourage such developments -- to the point where all must be heard and recorded freely.
quote:
Of course, that's just my uncaffeinated opinion. Thought I'd mention it here to see how far off the beam I am with Ed's (or the Lady Hooded's) opinions. <shrug>
While I don't drink coffee, I'll just add that my own meanderings here are also offered in much the same context as Steven's. I'm curious to hear what Ed has to say on all of this.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2007 :  18:39:46  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Thank you very much, m'Lady Hooded One and Master of the Green Wood!

Ed's two answers to my queries on this page of the scroll reinforce some other things he has said in response to earlier questions of mine and will GREATLY illuminate (or perhaps "deluminate" ... hehehehehe...) my campaign.

I toss cybernetic roses at your feet and kiss the hems of your garments (provided that they aren't too close to the street -- bleccch!).

And now I send thought waves into the minds of the design team supervisors: discuss the ToT black curtain across Yellow Snake Pass with Ed Greenwood and tell him that it's not NDA ... discuss the ToT black curtain across Yellow Snake Pass with Ed Greenwood and tell him that it's not NDA ... discuss the ToT black curtain across Yellow Snake Pass with Ed Greenwood and tell him that it's not NDA ...

Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2007 :  22:02:28  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello again, all! Well met, and hearken ye to Ed of the Greenwood’s latest serving of Realmslore, in response to Penknight’s query: “I would like to ask a few paladin questions, if I may. When a paladin passes on, what happens to his belongings exactly? Do they get interred with him, (armor, shield, holy avenger, etc.), or do they go to his surviving family? If one of the paladin's children became a paladin, would they receive their father's holy weapon? What if that person already had a holy weapon? Would it go then to the church? How exactly are these decisions reached, also?”
Ed replies:

This is one of those “it depends” answers. In this case, it depends on the faith the paladin belongs to, the manner of his death, and so on.
In general: specifically “holy” weapons tend to be recovered by the church (who may well compensate kin and even creditors of the paladin, and will definitely take care of the burial or compensate others who took care of the remains [any may well also recover those remains for reinterment “in the bosom of the church,” i.e. in holy ground or a temple crypt under control of the faith). Relics of the faith worn or used by the fallen paladin, ditto. A token is always passed on to the family, if possible (usually, it’s a dagger and/or helm, if these are not specifically holy or magical).
Every faith has developed its own policies, down the years; the churches of Helm, Tyr, and Torm value passing on material to younger kin (and seeking to recruit said kin to “full dedication to” the faith at the right time), whereas Tempus and the other warlike faiths (aside from these three aforementioned) tend to recover such material for the church.
Here, I would roleplay it however you’d like it to work in your campaign, because local temples have often “done their own thing” over the years, citing “inspiration from the god” that came to their senior clergy in dreams, altar prayer-visions, and the like.

So saith Ed, reiterating the “wiggle room” he has used in the “home” Realms campaign.
love to all,
THO

Thank you, noble Lady. I'll make sure to keep all of this in mind. Please send along my thanks to Mr. Greenwood if you would please.

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2007 :  01:26:21  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

It came to my attention this morning that GenCon is coming to Australia next year (in Brisbane, waaaaaaah!)...

So I suppose my question is, is there any possibility we'll see Ed back here then?

For those curious: GenCon Oz

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000