Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2007 :  06:23:13  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
Hello Dear Mistress Hooded,

I thought I would liven the mood up a little bit.

Here is my question to Ed

Greetings Ed...

Knowing your originaly group of player characters, and speaking of the one that plays Laeral...

In light of Steven's excellent novel on Khelben and the wonderful gem of Laeral being pregnant with twins here is my question.

One: How do you think the player character who plays Laeral in your group would roleplay a hormonal pregnant Chosen of Mystra?

Two: Now having said that Ed... can you possibly gift us with a little bit of prose (especially knowing how wonderfully colorful Laeral can be in her humour) as only you can, on how Laeral would be,(given that she is the first Chosen to be pregnant from another Chosen), and would react in all her hormonal glory both good and wonderfully moody while pregnant or even more intriguing at that delivery?

Sidenote and insider for both Ed and Hooded... I am having the pesky one, Vorn enjoying eating popcorn and waiting for this answer in mischevious anticipation. Oh Hooded and no he is not saying "Oh I am going to be an Aunty", well maybe for Vorn that wouldn't be such a stretch for him to say.

Edited by - Bruce Donohue on 19 Sep 2007 06:26:18
Go to Top of Page

Swordsage
Learned Scribe

149 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2007 :  09:15:37  Show Profile  Visit Swordsage's Homepage Send Swordsage a Private Message
Laeral and all the Chosen were always NPCs in Ed Greenwood's home Realms campaign - even Dove Falconhand who was one of the Knights of Myth Drannor. If you want to know how a pregnant Chosen would be roleplayed, you'll have to ask Mr Greenwood. he'd be the only one who's ever done it, if at all.

The Swordsage
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2007 :  12:30:08  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
Thanks Swordsage, see option two in my question ;)
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2007 :  21:14:24  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Ed I think this one is right up your alley, I have a PC who is a Half-orc, his Barbarian mother was raped by orcs and left for dead and found by a dwarf scouting party from Sundabar (His background write up). The mother dies in childbirth and the dwarf clan of Highrock take pity upon him and decide to raise him (he might have read a novel regarding Wulgar's adoption). So he grows up as a dwarf in his eyes and even worships Clanggedin.

Here's were it gets interesting, I often use Banes and Boons for players and he rolled a curse, so I added in his background that the brawny teen while scouting with his dwarf "father" are set upon by orcs. In the process he deals a mortal blow to the orc shaman and the orc shaman invokes ol One eye in his dying curse that the PC in neglecting his orc blood will be blind to all those of orc blood, basically all orc blooded creatures are invisible to him, including himself.

Now my question really is how are half orcs recieved in the North and more importantly in the Western Heartlands, he has just recently requested to be leader of the party and I want to know how will the locals deal with him being a half-orc. Will authorities choose not to deal with him in Scornubel and Elturel simply because of his race, Ohhh he also talks like a dwarf as well so that's another factor, his manner of speaking and lack of ....tact. He for some reason has nothing nice to say about elves so I'm wondering does Claggedin consider him a follower or is he screwed simply for being a half-orc? Secondly a god enforced curse I assume requires another god to aid in lifting the curse and with him bad mouthing Corelleon which I assumed would be his best hope of lifting the curse being Grummsh's archenemy is he truly screwed?

By choosing to be the leader is he creating more obstacles and shutting doors for the group due to being a Half-orc who also happens to acts like a dwarf?
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2007 :  23:21:13  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello again, fellow scribes. This time Ed makes reply to words scribe Victor_ograygor asked me to forward to him: “Ed I hope that we one day are going to here your personally wives on the changes on Forgotten Realms, and not only that we have to take it easy and see what happens. Sorry if I offend you with my Pirate ship terrorises but these changes are absolutely ridicules. I have been a gamer since some of the first FR material came out and our group now (oldies) still gather and play FR, and we all agree that these changes a really not you at all. I really feel that a line should be drawn here, from both gamers and designers.
I am sorry to say that I (we) are not going to buy these 4 ed changes and I hope and think that many other gamers are going to follow these foot steps.
Ps: A man working on a pirate ship is either a slave ore a pirate
And a slave usually doesn’t have anything to say…”
Ed replies:

Hi, Victor. I quite understand how you (and your group) feel, and I’m not going to say that you’re wrong or try to convince you otherwise. You should do what works for you as a gamer, just all the rest of us should. Many of the original Realms players had a “WTF?” reaction, initially, too, but being gamers, they will peek at 4e before deciding: gamers always have to look at the new stuff to see what it’s really like.
I’m a gamer, so: So do I.
I asked everyone to wait and see because that’s all any of us (yes, including me!) can do, thus far. We haven’t seen enough to know how “good” or “bad” things are going to be. I am hearing a lot of negative opinion, but haven’t seen much of what those opinions are based on. Yes, “one day” I will have my say on the changes, when the time is right. It’s not right yet, because I haven’t seen the changes (nor do I think any one product will reveal them all, at once).
I will stick with the Realms because I love it and created it and have spent forty years working on it and intend that it shall be the best it can be, for everyone (old fans, new fans, fiction-only readers, Wizards; EVERYONE). I will keep on trying to do that. I know many of the staff members of Wizards of the Coast personally, and they don’t strike me as evil, or non-gamers, or people who are either stupid or bad-natured. I’m waiting to see what they do to the Realms (because that’s all I CAN do: wait).
But as for your pirate ship comment: I’m not working on the pirate ship.
Right now, I’m forty years back from current (“old,” if you prefer) Realmstime, finishing the third Knights of Myth Drannor novel.
In other words, I’m what I’ve always been: a hard-working slave on a grand old ship that I built and a lot of other people have improved, that’s been sailing along these forty years, and certainly hasn’t gone “pirate” yet.
You seem to think I am on the staff of Wizards of the Coast (which I have NEVER been, nor yet its predecessor, TSR). I am a gamer, a freelancer who doesn’t even live in the same country as the publisher of the game. If I’m working on that pirate ship, then every gamer who proposed, wrote, and managed to get published an article for DRAGON or DUNGEON is, too. As an analogy, your pirate ship scenario just doesn’t hold, and because it describes the situation so inaccurately, is, yes, offensive (just as many of your countrymen probably don’t like being confused with the native inhabitants of Germany, Sweden, Finland, and Norway by someone who says “those people who live in that part of the world, they’re all the same,” right?). The company OWNS the game; what they do with it just can’t accurately be described as "piracy."
However, that’s your opinion and you’re perfectly entitled to it. Though when THO and I both tell you you’re wrong, in something pertaining to the Realms, I would listen if I were you; arguing with us is, to borrow your word, “ridiculous.”
Yet I say again: wait and see. By “see,” I mean have a look at that new FRCS when it comes out (no, I don’t mean buy it, necessarily; plenty of folks will be discussing it and stores will have it for you to eyeball and no doubt Wizards will have previews on their website). If you hate it, then you probably will have to step back from buying new FR products. Which of course DOESN’T mean saying farewell to the Realms; it just makes it yours, to run as you will (and I’m sure many other scribes will be improvising their own futures for the Realms, just as you are, if ideas ever fail your group).
When that new FRCS comes out, ask me again about the “new” Realms, okay? I'll be perfectly happy to chat with you again, now or then. Anyone who's played in the Realms since the Old Gray Box is great in my books!
Ed

So saith Ed. Creator of the Realms, and its most faithful booster and detailer, down all the years.
love to all,
THO

Thanks Ed fore your fast replay

Yes you are quite right about the “WTF” Reaction, and yes you’re are also quite right about giving it a chance to explain what happened in 4 edition before we criticise it, even if I can’t imagine how this can make the realms a better place.

Many people playing Forgotten Realms are mad / disappointed and can’t understand what’s going one with all the changes, and the only reason I and many others react so negative, is because we care fore the realms.

I will ask you again when the new FRCS comes out…

Vic

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2007 :  01:30:21  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

First of all, I'd like to thank Ed (and THO) for the reassurances about the 4th Edition Realms (especially the responses to my questions/whining , helped put things into better perspective). I'm definitely keeping my options open at this point, and will wait and see how things go next year when they release the FRCS (at this point, I plan only to flip through it in the game shop, but if it excites me (which at this point is unlikely, but I suppose that could change) I will probably buy it). (I am quite intrigued by 4th Ed Dungeons and Dragons, though...)

Now, with that out of the way... One or two people (on the Wizards board) have made the suggestion that a fan-based alternate time line/history could be developed, to by-pass this latest RSE. Someone mentioned that you'd once written how you'd see the Realms 100 years into the future (apparently somewhere on this board - if anyone could direct me to the post, it would be most helpful)... But basically, I wanted to see what you thought of the idea of a fan maintained alternate time line/history to the official one? Do you think fans would run into problems with the issues of Intellectual Property, Trademarks, and/or Copyrights (I have a vague feeling they would, but I'm not really an expert on copyrights/trademarks and intellectual property)?

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

SoulCatcher78
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2007 :  03:40:02  Show Profile  Visit SoulCatcher78's Homepage Send SoulCatcher78 a Private Message
Thank you for taking the time to interact with us.

Will there be a book of source material we are all likely to be interested in (lost years might be along the lines of Lost Empires)ever be possible? Maybe something like "top 10 homes of (hopefully) long dead wizards"? I recently picked up the Lost Empires of Faerun and am having an enjoyable read with it (looking back in some cases over 20,000 years is awe inspiring to say the least).

Without knowing how magic melts down (specifically), I'd have to wonder if there're quite a few wizards' lairs ready to be explored now.

Final questions; is the Spellplague the upcoming event that was alluded to at the end of Expedition to Undermountain? If so, does this mean that Halaster really isn't coming back?

Save the Succubus, Save the Wheel
Go to Top of Page

maransreth
Learned Scribe

Australia
157 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2007 :  11:05:48  Show Profile Send maransreth a Private Message
My first question to Ed (Hi The Hooded One *waves*) -

Now that the cat has been let out of the bag with what the Spellplague is, is Ed at liberty to mention what the hint/clue from the 1e Grey Box is?

Enjoy your time in Australia Ed! If I had known sooner that he was coming out this way, I would have made it a point to try and be there.

Duane
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2007 :  15:35:29  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message
Ed,

As you probably know, Robert Jordan (the nom de plum of James Rigny) died yesterday. In my mind the two of you have been locked in mortal combat for the status of My Favorite Author for over a decade. I was wondering if you knew him, what you thought of him, and of his contributions to the fantasy genre.

Additionally, would you consider completing the 12th and final book of the Wheel of Time Series as he died in the middle of writing it? I know that his entire fanbase, grieved as we are for his death are in utter hysterics over not getting to see the end of his wonderful saga.

-WalkerNinja-

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011

Edited by - WalkerNinja on 20 Sep 2007 15:36:12
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2007 :  16:10:42  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. I sent Ed the latest batch of scribes’ posts, including this one from WalkerNinja: “Ed, As you probably know, Robert Jordan (the nom de plume of James Rigney) died yesterday. In my mind the two of you have been locked in mortal combat for the status of My Favorite Author for over a decade. I was wondering if you knew him, what you thought of him, and of his contributions to the fantasy genre.
Additionally, would you consider completing the 12th and final book of the Wheel of Time Series as he died in the middle of writing it? I know that his entire fanbase, grieved as we are for his death are in utter hysterics over not getting to see the end of his wonderful saga.”
Ed replied almost INSTANTLY, and apologized that ‘real life’ is making his replies a little spotty now and for the next few days (time for his stress echo with his cardiologist 120 miles away, library board meetings, etc.). Here’s what Ed had to say:

I met “Robert Jordan” once, briefly, and we had a very nice chat. He struck me as a well-read, intelligent, sensitive man. I liked him, and regret his passing. It wasn’t as much of a blow as, say, the loss of Roger Zelazny, because I knew just how grave his situation was for longer.
He was a giant in modern fantasy publishing. Some readers (including me) LOVED “The Eye of the World” but thought the series grew too long and confused in its pacing in some of the later books. However, I kept reading, just as most of them did. :}
As a library worker, I noticed that like Eddings, Rowling, and Tolkien, his books appealed to people who “don’t like and read that fantasy stuff” as well as to fantasy readers. He transcended the genre.
As a result, he was THE heavy hitter (in terms of sales) at one of my publishers, Tor (Terry Goodkind being the runner-up).
He had been ill for some time, and a number of Tor writers (very privately) discussed whether it would be possible or appropriate for us to “gang write” the last book and finish it if he didn’t live to do so. The consensus was, we should not if the man himself didn’t want us to (as he once stated), but that we would jump at the chance to do it, for free, if his wife (and series editor) Harriet ever asked us to (as Mr. Rigney later said Harriet should finish it if she wanted to). PLEASE understand that, even typing this, I feel incredibly presumptuous; we were reacting as heart-torn fans, desperately wanting the tale to stand complete.
The Wheel of Time should be finished (IF possible to a worthy standard); “unfinished tales” disappoint, weaken, and sadden us all. Even if the decision is made NOT to finish the last book, I want to see published the fragment that does exist, plus the notes (SUNSET AT BLANDINGS style).
Obviously, Harriet (with or without any assistance she feels she needs or doesn’t need) is THE person to finish A MEMORY OF LIGHT. We know that anything from two-thirds to “90 percent” of the book is done (much of it dictated onto tape), and that when very ill, the man outlined the entire story to family members. So it appears that the tale CAN be finished. I feel strongly that it should be.
I also feel strongly that I’m not worthy to even attempt the task. I would be VERY willing to help, if the man’s family asked me, but I don’t want them to ask me. They can find writers far, far better suited to the task. If Mr. Tom Doherty, who publishes books by me and by Mr. Jordan, asked me to, I would help in any way I could, but would want to know that Harriet, at the very least, wouldn’t object to my involvement. Being immersed in the Realms prevents me from being as deeply immersed in ANY other fantasy setting as I should be, to attempt anything approaching what you suggest.
However, I don’t think any of us need to worry. I spoke with Mr. Doherty at GenCon, and he then expected that the book “will get done.” I expect that it will, too, without any involvement on my part. I trust Tom Doherty absolutely. I respect and trust Mr. Rigney’s family, and believe his wife is the best person on the planet to finish the Wheel of Time saga.
I am confidently awaiting the day when I can buy a big, fat tome entitled A MEMORY OF LIGHT. That tale will be ended forever, I’m afraid, but at least it will be complete.
Ed

So saith Ed. Not much I can or should add to that.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2007 :  16:19:54  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
Hi Ed, I saw the interview you did on YouTube from GenCon I think it was. I was just wondering if you will be making more of these (pending of course, people ready to interview you)...I found it very informative and gave us a good look at the realms creator (especially good for those of us who never got to meet you)?

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Warrax
Learned Scribe

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2007 :  16:46:32  Show Profile  Visit Warrax's Homepage Send Warrax a Private Message
"Some readers (including me) LOVED “The Eye of the World” but thought the series grew too long and confused in its pacing in some of the later books. However, I kept reading, just as most of them did. :}"

Hahaha... that's exactly how I felt about the Wheel of Time series! Well, maybe not the "too long" part, because I thoroughly enjoyed the length of the series but I'm glad I'm not the only one who loved the characters, loved the earlier stuff, thought it got a little crazy... but kept reading anyway.

RIP James Rigney, one of my favorite authors. I'm impressed that he kept blogging right up until his fading moments here with us, that must have been really tough.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2007 :  18:26:12  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Warrax, Ed and I have discussed the Wheel of Time several times in the past, and I believe Ed expressed himself poorly in the passage you quoted. I know from our discussions (and it's clear from the rest of his words, too) that he didn't think the SERIES was too long, but rather that several of the later books were in themselves (within their own covers) too long and confused in pacing: in other words, that within a given book Jordan was juggling too many characters, following too many subplots, and the result was confusing for many readers and less effective than a more straightforward yarn would have been (something Ed has a tendency to do, too, and therefore "looks for" and studies, in the writing of others).
There's no question that "doorstop"-thick fantasy novels in a single sequence have more publishing-industry impact than shorter books that simply share the same world setting (like most of the Realms fiction canon). I'm not saying that the collective sales of the one way are superior to the other, or that either way is preferable or "better." Every publisher (and to the extent that the publisher allows them, every writer) has to follow the way they believe best; some even try different ways and tinker for a bit.
Just trying to clarify; here, I think Ed "misspoke" himself enough to be misunderstood.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2007 :  19:38:27  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Ed & THO,

Please forgive my gentle prod (pun intended THO), but I will attempt to tear Master Greenwood's attention away from whatever else he is doing and ask him if he might provide an answer to a query of mine that remains unanswered.

Can you please give me some insight on how buildings are covered in glass, such as the one I read about in Baulder's Gate (A temple of Lathander if I remember correctly), and since I have your attention, anything about the great crystals elves use as building material?

Thank you

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 20 Sep 2007 19:38:54
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2007 :  20:38:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
A question regarding the material (and it's name) was asked of Steven Schend by Dagnirion (Lord Karsus at WotC) some time ago -

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend
Its name depends on what it's used for, as each is a slightly different form/structure of crystal.

Ela(or)- is the root form, and this stands loosely for "common crystal" as opposed to kiir, which means gem.

Elaegiis is "shielding crystal" and suitable for walls and strong structures. Rarely, it can be used to make shields or armor light in weight and at least as strong as human-made steel at 75% of the weight (and no, I've not statted anything out beyond that--you do the math). This tends to fall on the green side of the spectrum, and the harder the material, the darker the green.

Elaeorynth is "flight/float crystal," which is strong yet flexible, more akin to young wood used for shipbuilding. It's not as strong as the "stone" of elaegiis, and thus it's more toward the olive/spring green tone.

Hope that works for you, Dagnirion (and Wooly, the ol' SJ fan himself).

Steven
who has now to copy all this into his elven glossary notes...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Sep 2007 20:38:38
Go to Top of Page

Warrax
Learned Scribe

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2007 :  22:50:33  Show Profile  Visit Warrax's Homepage Send Warrax a Private Message
quote:

Warrax, Ed and I have discussed the Wheel of Time several times in the past, and I believe Ed expressed himself poorly in the passage you quoted. I know from our discussions (and it's clear from the rest of his words, too) that he didn't think the SERIES was too long, but rather that several of the later books were in themselves (within their own covers) too long and confused in pacing: in other words, that within a given book Jordan was juggling too many characters, following too many subplots, and the result was confusing for many readers and less effective than a more straightforward yarn would have been (something Ed has a tendency to do, too, and therefore "looks for" and studies, in the writing of others).
There's no question that "doorstop"-thick fantasy novels in a single sequence have more publishing-industry impact than shorter books that simply share the same world setting (like most of the Realms fiction canon). I'm not saying that the collective sales of the one way are superior to the other, or that either way is preferable or "better." Every publisher (and to the extent that the publisher allows them, every writer) has to follow the way they believe best; some even try different ways and tinker for a bit.
Just trying to clarify; here, I think Ed "misspoke" himself enough to be misunderstood.
love,
THO

Hmm, funny; I prefer books to be in excess of 500 pages. I can even stomach a 1,000-page monstrosity if it paces itself properly. I think the "problem," so to speak, with Jordan's later books is as you note: too many characters, too many tangled sub-plots. I like to be engaged with a plot for a long time, I actually prefer the longer books quite a bit.

An interesting debate, no doubt.

I wonder though: Ed seems himself inclined rather heavily towards flashing readers glimpses of a host of different plots and tales himself... which makes my question then: Ed, if you feel that (to some extent), the WoT books got too long, do you think that he'd have been better off including certain plots as separate books?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2007 :  01:22:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Warrax (and everyone: important stuff for all scribes' eyes at the end of this post). I sent your post to Ed, and here's his reply:

Well, “better off” of course “depends” (on whose viewpoint we’re speaking of). Every writer who has the freedom to do so should tell a story the way that works best for them, to yield the “best” story; perhaps if the Wheel of Time books had been written as shorter, focus-on-fewer-plots-and-characters books, they wouldn’t have “worked” at all for any of us (the writer, readers, and therefore sales/the publisher).
However, yes, if we go by my personal preferences, I’d prefer books that are more satisfying in themselves (come to resolutions or “halfway” resolutions that satisfy the reader, within one set of book covers).
Terry Pratchett’s Discworld books are examples of this: each tells a stand-alone story, but they revisit favourite characters, and each one advances the “history” of a rich shared fantasy setting.
However, such books don’t HAVE to be short. Julian May’s Pliocene Exile books are examples of long books that have huge casts of characters, adroitly handled. Or the as-yet-unfinished Sword of Shadows series by J.V. Jones (A CAVERN OF BLACK ICE and its sequels).
As with almost anything in fiction, Your Mileage May Vary.

So saith Ed. Who has read literally tens of thousands of novels, of all sorts. And written lots of them, too (the latest two: SWORDS OF DRAGONFIRE from Wizards of the Coast, and DARK WARRIOR RISING from Tor Books; next up are DARK LORD from Solaris/Black Library [distributed in North America by Simon & Schuster] and THE ANNOTATED ELMINSTER from Wizards of the Coast).
By the way, Ed has been talking extensively with folks at Wizards (remember, he WAS part of the “Secret Summit” some years back at GenCon, at which “something” was planned for the Realms that now seems to be happening, and that involves the Spellplague, so this “big change” is something he knew was coming [as was made clear to those who attended the “Secrets of the Forgotten Realms” seminar at GenCon]), and has just told me:

Yes, I WILL be involved with the next series of Realms products, just as I was with this plan for the future of the Realms. You can tell interested people (such as the scribes at Candlekeep) this; I’ve been told from the top that it’s okay if it becomes public knowledge. I still have no details to yield up, because I don’t know any - - and that’s the state of affairs right now not because of any sinister coverup, but simply because so much hasn’t been decided yet (I suspect matters have been delayed by the evolving 4e game rules, which of course must come first).
So smile, sword high, and onward! After every fire, there’s always another frying pan, and so on. That succession of burns and scalds is called “life.”
(There. More hilltop philosophy. Must run from this keyboard now; the Fed Ex guy is at the door with a box of books, and Jen’s calling me for dinner from the other direction. Wheeeee.)

So saith Ed (again). Interesting times, to be sure. Hang in there, scribes!
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 21 Sep 2007 01:24:34
Go to Top of Page

Warrax
Learned Scribe

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2007 :  01:46:22  Show Profile  Visit Warrax's Homepage Send Warrax a Private Message
An interesting take; many thanks for your exceedingly quick reply. :D

EDIT:

Ed, I have a question for you that's completely unrelated to the Forgotten Realms, if that's OK?

When you were writing 'The Kingless Land,' did you spend much time developing Aglirta first or did you get a basic gist of everything and develop the setting as you progressed through the plot?

Incidentally, while the story (and the series) is great itself, I think the opening sequence of that book may be my favorite opening to any fantasy book.

OK, we need coin so that we can get in out of the cold and get some food in us before everyone tries to kill us for being outlaws, what do we do?

I know, I know! We steal a dress!

Great stuff, really. :D

Edited by - Warrax on 21 Sep 2007 04:38:49
Go to Top of Page

BlackMoria
Acolyte

Canada
36 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2007 :  16:30:30  Show Profile  Visit BlackMoria's Homepage Send BlackMoria a Private Message
This may have been answered already and if so, could someone relate the answer?

Will we see more Border Kingdoms articles? It looked like the existing articles were highlighting the Border Kingdoms localities in alphabetical order and then they abruptly stopped at 'H'.

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2007 :  17:31:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BlackMoria

This may have been answered already and if so, could someone relate the answer?

Will we see more Border Kingdoms articles? It looked like the existing articles were highlighting the Border Kingdoms localities in alphabetical order and then they abruptly stopped at 'H'.

Thank you.

Back in January, our Lady Hooded One revealed:-

"Ed tells me the delay is his fault.
Wizards still have Waterdeep News items by him, but have run out of both Realmslore and Border Kingdoms entries (assuming we've had all three High Mukshar instalments; I've not checked)
- - and he's been too blamed busy with [NDA and NDA, so assume still-secret WotC projects, as well as helping XXX with NDA] to get any more ready, yet.
Ed says this past year has been scheduling hell for him; 4 novels, 3 game products and assists with others, about 30 webcolumns, a dozen or so short stories, and lots of "incidental writing, editing, and critiquing." (And, of course, he does have a day job, chairs a library board, helped get a local mayor elected, speaks to school classes, at cons, and seniors' and literary groups, yadda yadda heaping yadda . . .)
So please be patient; Ed will get new lore to Wizards as soon as he can!
love,
THO"

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

BlackMoria
Acolyte

Canada
36 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2007 :  18:35:49  Show Profile  Visit BlackMoria's Homepage Send BlackMoria a Private Message
Thank you. Question answered.
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2007 :  20:04:08  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Ed & THO,

Forgive me if this is answered elsewhere. If it has been, I'm sure one of my fellow scribes will quickly point me in the right dircetions.

We hear plenty of elf/human romantic relationships, and orc and goblinoid/human relationships make an appearance rarely. I also remember a human/dwarf offspring in Dwarves Deep. Can you tell us how common other demi human (gnome and halflings in peticular)/human romantic relationships are, can their be offspring from these combinations and, are there any more or less descrimiations due to such relationships?

As I ask this, I can just see a big, burly northman and his wee halfling love walking hand in hand down a street in waterdeep as he lifts her over puddles and street debris lol.

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 21 Sep 2007 20:06:26
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2007 :  20:28:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
You just made me think of something intersting -

Back in 2e, I had a Dwarf Mage. Note I didn't say 'Dwarven' Mage - he was just a human midget with a very good beard. However, he spoke Dwarven, was raised by Dwarves (in a circus), and passed for one easily. I had a VERY original character until 3e came out.

Anyhow, do other races have 'short people' (trying to be PC here) - in other words, people suffering from extreme genetic disorders that make them unusually tiny?

The above post made me think of a midget halfling, and how tiny he/she would be. If she dated a Northmen who was half-Firbolg, he could carry her around in his pocket.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Sep 2007 20:30:29
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2007 :  21:49:59  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message
Hi Ed,

A question inspired by the following quote from the Forgotten Realms Adventures hardback: "Prior to the Time of Troubles, the Red Wizards wielded greater magical power than they do now. This was due in part to a magical artifact operating within the depths of Amruthar that extended power to those pledged to the Red Wizards."

Can you tell the Candlekeep crowd something more about this artifact and the additional powers the Red Wizards had because of this artifact?

Thanks for the creating the Realms and letting it go for others to work with.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2007 :  23:38:52  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message

Hi Hooded Lady, just thanks Ed for having accepted to do a major part of the new FRCS
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2007 :  02:21:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Skeptic, I relayed today's posts to Ed, and he sent back this:

Skeptic, you're very welcome.
As all Realms fans might expect, I will move heaven and earth if I have to, to get to work on the the "new" Realms.
I have always "half-planned" for the future of the Realms, continuously. By half-planned, I mean: establish trends (this is happening in Thay, that's befalling in Sembia) to set things in motion, see what actually happens (in play in my own campaign, on one level, and what various novelists, short story writers, and game designers publish in Wizards products on another level), and think about consequences, reactions to events, and how the ongoing trends will be changed or deflected.
This process has been part of how I shaped and "ran" the Realms from the beginning (yes, when it was just my own private fiction setting, and later when it was a D&D play setting, too; and yet again when it became a published setting). This is how the life blood of the Realms has always flowed.
Some years ago, in a secret "Realms summit" that I attended at a GenCon, some larger changes were discussed, argued over, and hammered out. Yes, I was a part of that; I have been NDA'd on this until now, and wasn't privy to some of the specific fragments thus far revealed (e.g. in THE ORC KING Prologue) until very recently. THAT'S why I kept pleading to scribes to "wait and see." (I agree it's certainly early enough to get excited, upset, or eager, but we can't see enough yet to really judge anything. Some scribes posting here and elsewhere have obviously seen more "teasers," hints, or leaks about the 4e game rules than I have.) When I said "This had BETTER be good!" I was repeating (more or less) one of the points I made at that summit: we risk much, and must Do It Right.
We are now beginning to see some of those larger changes, and as Rich Baker revealed on his blog and I let on in this thread, I will be on board the Good Ship Realms as we sail into the Spellplague.
I'm still urging everyone to wait and see. It's still the Realms you were playing in a month ago, before all of this news broke (look back and you may see THO hinting, just a bit, that SOMETHING was coming). I'm VERY proud of THE GRAND HISTORY OF THE REALMS (yes, I found and bought a copy), and the contributors all post here from time to time and are part of the Candlekeep community. We brought it to you with love, and I think that shows.
I think everyone who plays in the Realms, or works on the Realms, falls in love with it, at least a little. That's why so many of you have posted so emotionally; because you CARE.
Well, I care about the Realms, too. So, I know beyond any doubt, do the folks at Wizards I have worked with, on the Realms, and those I am working with now on the Realms. NDAs prevent me from giving any details about forthcoming products, but I will be a part of it all, and I firmly expect (as a gamer and customer; and, yes, I BUY a lot of stuff, just like anyone else does) to be pleased with Realms products in the future.
I'm going to try to keep on answering lore queries in this next week, but I am TEARINGLY busy right now (and looking forward to meeting some of the Australian-resident Candlekeep scribes in person, soon), so if I fall silent, please understand why.
In other news, a fan dropped by the library on my last work shift to show me a "Realms dress" she'd just sewn. It was stunning, but I doubt Wizards has any idle personnel to branch out into a gamer fashion line. Sigh; choice, choices.
Hang in there, folks! I have trusty sword in one hand and wild-as-ever spell in the other, and haven't lost my taste for riding into battle . . .

So saith Ed. That's my DM/old friend/hero figure.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2007 :  02:44:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

I'm going to try to keep on answering lore queries in this next week, but I am TEARINGLY busy right now (and looking forward to meeting some of the Australian-resident Candlekeep scribes in person, soon), so if I fall silent, please understand why.
And here's hoping that I can indeed make it to Queensland before then. My efforts to organise my calendar over the next week have met with somewhat positive results. Plus, I'll likely have my copy of Dark Warrior Rising [to read on the plane, of course] with me, so have your quill ready Ed!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2007 :  05:47:57  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message
Greetings Lady THO and Mr.Greenwood. I would like to thank you for your replies about the recent changes.

In addition i have a lore request if you dont mind. I would like to have some information about the recent status of the Rowanmantles the Cormyrian noble family.

I assume they lost some power with the deaths of Thomdor and Bereu, the destruction of Tilverton and more lately with the events of the Shadowdale adventure. If the above are true and the family is in crisis what actions would the house's leader have taken?

Thank you in advance

Edited by - Marquant Volker on 22 Sep 2007 06:47:19
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2007 :  14:33:32  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
Does any have the link to Richard Baker's Blog site?
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2007 :  15:37:15  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Donohue

Does any have the link to Richard Baker's Blog site?

Richard Baker's blog can be found here: http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?p=13420839#post13420839

Other Wizards blogs are listed here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/community

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000