Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Eric L Boyd
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 46

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2006 :  01:19:54  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Hiya Eric,

I'm curious if you could give us a bit more info on Thur Aquarvol the merfolk cleric of Umberlee that resides in Tharqualnaar and why she's good aligned. No, I'm not trying to start a retcon/rules arguement and I'm really curious on why she's CG since Umberlee has hardly ever had good followers.....

Is this the one that worships Ao? (That one comes from Steven's old Cult of Ao article in Polyhedron #93?.)

--Eric

No, the info in the Waterdeep sourcebook says that she's a 3rd level cleric of Umberlee but she's CG, which is a weird alignment for a cleric of Umberlee. Especially since Umberlee, if you follow the 1-step rule, doesn't have CG clerics.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 29 Sep 2006 01:20:18
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2006 :  13:59:03  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

No info on Zinzerena available just yet?

(Posting of 07 Aug 2006 : 10:48:46 on page 19)

Sorry, I need to dig up my old sources and haven't had a chance yet. I haven't forgotten the question.

--Eric

Warlockco brought some info on Zinzerena within Realmspace to my attention, given in On Hallowed Ground (p. 101). There she is said to linger in or about Menzoberranzan while her alignment changed from CN (Monster Mythology) to CE in OHG.

Hope we see more on her ... or Lolth in her disguise on Toril, for she makes a good alternative to the rather stereotyped opponents of the Spider Queen. A CN/CE deity of renegades (male or female alike) and outcasts would do well there, IMHO.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5399 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2006 :  14:06:56  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Hiya Eric,

I'm curious if you could give us a bit more info on Thur Aquarvol the merfolk cleric of Umberlee that resides in Tharqualnaar and why she's good aligned. No, I'm not trying to start a retcon/rules arguement and I'm really curious on why she's CG since Umberlee has hardly ever had good followers.....

Is this the one that worships Ao? (That one comes from Steven's old Cult of Ao article in Polyhedron #93?.)

--Eric

No, the info in the Waterdeep sourcebook says that she's a 3rd level cleric of Umberlee but she's CG, which is a weird alignment for a cleric of Umberlee. Especially since Umberlee, if you follow the 1-step rule, doesn't have CG clerics.

Well, she could be a Heretic of the Faith that worships Umberlee as being less intentionally destructive and more of a force of nature.

"Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher is bound in his way to be a lover of myths and poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in being big with wonder."--Saint Thomas Aquinas

http://knighterrantjr.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2006 :  16:56:10  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hiya Eric,

--Eric

Well, she could be a Heretic of the Faith that worships Umberlee as being less intentionally destructive and more of a force of nature.

True and that's why I asked what's the tale behind her being CG and worshipping Umberlee. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

DnDBreeder
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2006 :  00:54:26  Show Profile  Visit DnDBreeder's Homepage Send DnDBreeder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings and well met everyone, I am a long time creeper of these here forums and other D&D/Forgotten Realms forums as well. I have never bothered joining because I have had no need to ask any questions or anything. I always knew the day would come I would have to join, and the day has arrived. Hopefully my first post gets some creative juices flowing.

I have a question for Mr.Boyd, and Mr.Greenwood to be honest, but I'll ask Mr.Boyd first. My question may be a question neither can answer, it may be a question/answer that should be left to a DM's disgression. Mr.Boyd, if you can say anything about this up-coming question, please do. If you can't because of certain rules, or by chance, you don't know... would you answer what you think would be best to handle the "situation", please?

The reason I ask you this question is because you and Mr.Greenwood were the authors to "Volo's Guide to all Things Magical". My question is about the Starym Moonblade and the Mythal of Myth Drannar. I am assuming that there is a strong connection between the Myth Drannar Mythal and the Starym Moonblade because of those abilities the blade has. My question is, will the events that took place in "The Last Mythal" affect the Starym Moonblade in any way? I would like to go into more detail but I won't because I don't want to spoil anything for anyone that hasen't read the books. Hopefully nothing I have said so far is against the rules, if so, I had no intention in doing so and I do apologize.

Honestly, I would like to see the thoughts of all who browse these forums that know of the blade and have read "The Last Mythal". By all means, please post your opinions on the blade and mythal. How would you handle it if your were DMing an adventure based around the blade or mythal? What if there was a book to be written on this very subject, and you were the author, would you do anything to the blade? I am curious to see what some of you think.

Untill next time... ~bows~

Edited by - DnDBreeder on 06 Oct 2006 01:03:49
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2006 :  15:23:59  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DnDBreeder

Greetings and well met everyone, I am a long time creeper of these here forums and other D&D/Forgotten Realms forums as well. I have never bothered joining because I have had no need to ask any questions or anything. I always knew the day would come I would have to join, and the day has arrived. Hopefully my first post gets some creative juices flowing.

I have a question for Mr.Boyd, and Mr.Greenwood to be honest, but I'll ask Mr.Boyd first. My question may be a question neither can answer, it may be a question/answer that should be left to a DM's disgression. Mr.Boyd, if you can say anything about this up-coming question, please do. If you can't because of certain rules, or by chance, you don't know... would you answer what you think would be best to handle the "situation", please?

The reason I ask you this question is because you and Mr.Greenwood were the authors to "Volo's Guide to all Things Magical". My question is about the Starym Moonblade and the Mythal of Myth Drannar. I am assuming that there is a strong connection between the Myth Drannar Mythal and the Starym Moonblade because of those abilities the blade has. My question is, will the events that took place in "The Last Mythal" affect the Starym Moonblade in any way? I would like to go into more detail but I won't because I don't want to spoil anything for anyone that hasen't read the books. Hopefully nothing I have said so far is against the rules, if so, I had no intention in doing so and I do apologize.

Honestly, I would like to see the thoughts of all who browse these forums that know of the blade and have read "The Last Mythal". By all means, please post your opinions on the blade and mythal. How would you handle it if your were DMing an adventure based around the blade or mythal? What if there was a book to be written on this very subject, and you were the author, would you do anything to the blade? I am curious to see what some of you think.

Untill next time... ~bows~

That's an interesting question. It's not clear one way or the other whether the Starym moonblade is tied to Myth Drannor mythal or simply emulates some of its features.

I'd hesitate to speculate what I might do if I revisted this topic, as it would depend on the context and larger goals of the project.

In other words, do what works for your campaign!

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29638 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2006 :  17:20:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My utterly non-official opinion is that the Starym moonblade may have been affected by the mythal, but it does not have any actual ties to it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 06 Oct 2006 17:20:42
Go to Top of Page

DnDBreeder
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2006 :  19:24:35  Show Profile  Visit DnDBreeder's Homepage Send DnDBreeder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for answering so quickly Mr.Boyd. When I was reading The Last Mythal, I immediately thought of the Starym Moonblade. I remembered reading somewhere that if the Myth Drannar Mythal was destroyed, the blade would also be destroyed. About half way through the 2nd book of the trilogy I was wondering how the books were going to end. It made my experience with the books even more enjoyable. To be honest, with the popularity of the Moonblades and mythals in Realmslore, I'm surprised no one else has had similar questions.

Thanks again Mr.Boyd, like I said in my original post, hopefully the connection between the mythal and the blade have got some creative juices flowing for some DM's, authors and possibly game designers. I know it has had my imagination practically exploding with idea's.

Breeder
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

618 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2006 :  18:30:50  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greeting Eric, I've noticed in Mintiper's Chapbook part about the druids of Tall Trees a certain NPC, Dalanaer Llundlar, and I have a few questions (I've also noticed that she's not mentioned in Champions of Valor with others):

What happened to the rest of her clan, are they still around (and where, Silverymoon?), they are interesting ...

Are spells that she's collected from the Leaves of Gold published somewhere?

What type of mage is she?

Edited by - Marc on 09 Oct 2006 18:31:43
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2006 :  02:50:42  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maruluthu Mistrivvin

Greeting Eric, I've noticed in Mintiper's Chapbook part about the druids of Tall Trees a certain NPC, Dalanaer Llundlar, and I have a few questions (I've also noticed that she's not mentioned in Champions of Valor with others):

What happened to the rest of her clan, are they still around (and where, Silverymoon?), they are interesting ...

Are spells that she's collected from the Leaves of Gold published somewhere?

What type of mage is she?

This is all pretty open-ended and left for the DM (at least for the foreseeable future). House Llundlar is referenced in Cormanthyr. I believe I wrote up one spell from the Leaves of Gold in column #10, but that's it.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

618 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2006 :  09:15:36  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I know that, I was just speculating what would happen to half-elven house after the Fall ...

Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2006 :  01:32:14  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage  Click to see Reefy's MSN Messenger address Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric, I've just read through Sleep of Ages, which I think looks a great adventure (no current plans to run it as neither of my games are anywhere near right now). I think the Order of the Crescent Moon is really interesting. I know you didn't write Champions of Valor so you might not be the right person to address this too, but do you know why the Order in there is based in Impiltur rather than Tethyr? Or is it a new Order, inspired by the Tethyrian branch?

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4711 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2006 :  04:58:54  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh god, I never even saw that. Eric?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2006 :  08:38:46  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

Eric, I've just read through Sleep of Ages, which I think looks a great adventure (no current plans to run it as neither of my games are anywhere near right now). I think the Order of the Crescent Moon is really interesting. I know you didn't write Champions of Valor so you might not be the right person to address this too, but do you know why the Order in there is based in Impiltur rather than Tethyr? Or is it a new Order, inspired by the Tethyrian branch?

Looks like I wasn't the only one to wonder about this... Maybe a check of the timelines involved in both articles could provide a possible solution on which order was established first. I don't have the sources at hand at the moment, but I would not be surprised if the Tethyrian order is the older. The Impiltuaran could have been based on the Tethyrian one - after all, Selune and Clangeddin could have easily divinly inspired some of their faithful into establishing a similar order without the two being affiliated. Basically copying the 'tool' while the original was held in 'safekeeping' until needed.
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2006 :  00:19:47  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage  Click to see Reefy's MSN Messenger address Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Tethyrian order was founded many centuries ago, while CoV p.103 simply states the 'order is over one hundred years old, but is relatively unknown outside Impiltur.' This to me implies that it is a more recent foundation, but given that the Tethyrian order has only recently been reawakened (as of 1369-70 when the adventure is set), it is highly unlikely the Impilturan order would have been based on it because the original order was essentially unknown outside of obscure histort books, according to Sleep of Ages.
The most feasible solution I can think of is the one that Mumadar has suggested. Without divine intervention, I find it unlikely that such an order would have come into existence, especially as the original order is unknown so not around to be an example to be followed.
I'm thinking it might have been a mistake in CoV, but if possible I prefer to come up with in game solutions to possible canonical errors.
Incidentally, I only noticed because I was sure I'd heard of the Order somewhere before once I started reading the adventure, so checked through some sources and found it in CoV.

Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2006 :  16:50:04  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage  Click to see Kalin Agrivar's MSN Messenger address Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric, this will be the last time I bother you about this subject (I promise!)...can you say when the actual physical Sundering of Aber-Toril occured?

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2006 :  17:39:00  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kalin Agrivar

Hi Eric, this will be the last time I bother you about this subject (I promise!)...can you say when the actual physical Sundering of Aber-Toril occured?

One theory is a the Dawn of Time. Another theory is -17,600 DR. A third theory is -24,000 DR. They are all only theories at this point, each supported to varying degrees by the evidence, depending on which Realmslore you choose to interpret most strongly. My personal preference is the Dawn of Time.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2006 :  17:40:20  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

Actually, I did write part of Champions of Valor (16 pages), but not this part. I did catch this "opportunity" but not in time to make resolving it simpler. Some of the other ideas on this thread seem interesting, but I don't have time to pick one now. I imagine the two groups are loosely coupled in some fashion as yet undetermined.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2006 :  18:29:48  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage  Click to see Kalin Agrivar's MSN Messenger address Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much Eric!

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  01:31:08  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage  Click to see Reefy's MSN Messenger address Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Eric, I'd certainly be interested in hearing how you'd resolve it when you get round to it.

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2006 :  03:43:34  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric,

A question about Halaster's Heirs. IIRC, it's not your original idea*, but you gave to it a lot of place in CoS. This place is supposed to be on the first level of Undermoutain, but do you picture it in some of the known rooms of the first level or as a kind of "secret" sub-level ?

Thanks,

* If I'm correct, do you know/remember who created this academy?

Edited by - Skeptic on 31 Oct 2006 03:44:08
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2006 :  10:34:28  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

Hi Eric,

A question about Halaster's Heirs. IIRC, it's not your original idea*, but you gave to it a lot of place in CoS. This place is supposed to be on the first level of Undermoutain, but do you picture it in some of the known rooms of the first level or as a kind of "secret" sub-level ?

Thanks,

* If I'm correct, do you know/remember who created this academy?

No, the academy is my creation.

I figured it's a mix of existing rooms and possibly some secret ones.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2006 :  18:50:08  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No, the academy is my creation.

I figured it's a mix of existing rooms and possibly some secret ones.

Oh, so I'll ask a few more questions about it, first one :

Given that most south rooms are described on Wizard's web site and that the north rooms are controled by the Loviatar forces (if that is not changed), could I say that the Academy has control over the rooms east of the Well and north of the "Dragon's legacy" rooms ?

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2006 :  21:06:35  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds reasonable.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Paj
Seeker

United Kingdom
56 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  09:30:34  Show Profile  Visit Paj's Homepage  Click to see Paj's MSN Messenger address Send Paj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met.

Can you shed any light on The 'Meeting of the Three'?

Its a day when Jergal, Garagos and Sharess meet somewhere and it was first mentioned in Powers and Pantheons under Jergals entry.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 46 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000