Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Eric L Boyd
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 46

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  17:54:07  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Question Eric, for my 3/3.5e NPC list. I would have made a guess on this NPC but I didn't want to be wrong.

Araeralee Summerstar, 9th Wizard, Half-moon Elf, LG, An orphan raised in Blackstaff Tower, City of Splendors: Waterdeep

What is her/his gender? He/she is on page 24 in the Blackstaff Academy write up.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  18:20:18  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Female.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  18:21:10  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paj

Well met.

Can you shed any light on The 'Meeting of the Three'?

Its a day when Jergal, Garagos and Sharess meet somewhere and it was first mentioned in Powers and Pantheons under Jergals entry.

The extended version of this event first appeared in one of the old Border Kingdoms articles in Polyhedron. Some with access to sources might be able to provide the issue #.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  18:47:24  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Female.

--Eric

Thanks, that's what I figured but was double checking. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
2877 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  18:51:17  Show Profile  Send Lord Karsus an AOL message Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Mr. Boyd, I'm doing some research for the Elven Yuir Deities for a little something on Elves that I am making. I was wondering if you could provide what their "symbols" are. Demihuman Deities mentions a few times that the Elven Yuir Deities had their symbols on stones in the Sunglade, and that the symbols have faded over time. But, what the symbols were was never mentioned. Can you help me out on this one?

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 06 Nov 2006 18:52:04
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29652 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  20:56:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Paj

Well met.

Can you shed any light on The 'Meeting of the Three'?

Its a day when Jergal, Garagos and Sharess meet somewhere and it was first mentioned in Powers and Pantheons under Jergals entry.

The extended version of this event first appeared in one of the old Border Kingdoms articles in Polyhedron. Some with access to sources might be able to provide the issue #.

--Eric

It's also discussed in Ed's Border Kingdoms feature on the Wizards website, specifically in the entry for the Barony of Great Oak.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  23:52:11  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Eric.

I was wondering if you had any more information on Chlanna Asjiros, the Ex Grand Rapturemother of Lliira. As far as I can tell, she only appeared in Faiths and Avatars, and her death was mentioned in Faiths and Pantheons (leading to the creation of the Scarlet Mummers, which you mentioned were created by Erik Mona)

Also, with the return of Waukeen and Chlanna's death, what state is the Lliira church in?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Go to Top of Page

Amnezjusz
Seeker

Poland
39 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2006 :  21:27:40  Show Profile  Visit Amnezjusz's Homepage Send Amnezjusz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hello Eric :)
I have two question about Coiled Cabal.
1. I was wondering if you had more information about Coiled Cabal leaders, "The Hooded Ones" (um, or at least about one of them :P).
2. Do you know how advanced are works to take over (currently to manipulate) Cult of the Dragon and Red Wizard, the most important organizations which Cabal want to rule in the future.

Sorry for My english.
I will be grateful for your help :)

THERE'S NO JUSTICE. THERE'S JUST ME. - Death

http://www.polarzepy.fora.pl - My website.
http://www.dnd.polter.pl - Official Polish D&D site.

Edited by - Amnezjusz on 10 Nov 2006 14:04:35
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5399 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  01:19:35  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Eric:

I just got my Dragon Magazine for this month, and I really liked the planetourched races in it. You did an excellent job, and I'm glad they finally got around to publishing this (now it fhey would pick up on that article about the Unseen . . . ). I am really looking forward to offering these to my players as PC races, which brings me to my question.

The planetouched races in the FRCS are presented as LA 0 races in the Player's Guide to Faerun by taking away their Outsider (native) type and just making them humanoids. Do you think that this approach would work with these races as well, i.e., do you think taking that away would make them "balanced" with other LA 0 PC options? I'm mainly concered with the dwarven, elven, and halfling plantouched, not quite as worried about presenting the Warghest as a PC option.

Thanks for your time, and for the article!

"Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher is bound in his way to be a lover of myths and poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in being big with wonder."--Saint Thomas Aquinas

http://knighterrantjr.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  13:14:25  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage  Click to see Chosen of Moradin's MSN Messenger address Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
KEJR, one little thing that have worked in my campaigns concerning planetoucheds and LA, is the rule to "buy" in xp the LA, presented in the Unhearted Arcana. My players that tend to play with LA 1 races have liked that option, and until now, it have worked very well.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Amnezjusz
Seeker

Poland
39 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2006 :  22:25:18  Show Profile  Visit Amnezjusz's Homepage Send Amnezjusz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Eric.

I have another questions related with Coiled Cabal:
a)some say that Coiled Cabal want to shatter power of the Ssteh's clergy. But, did they know that Sseth was replaced by Set? And why Cabal want to Shatter power of this clergy?
b)when exactly Cabal was created and who was the first leader of the organization?

I will be very, very grateful for your help :)

THERE'S NO JUSTICE. THERE'S JUST ME. - Death

http://www.polarzepy.fora.pl - My website.
http://www.dnd.polter.pl - Official Polish D&D site.

Edited by - Amnezjusz on 17 Nov 2006 22:28:05
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2006 :  17:03:29  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vendui!

Reading a few bits and pieces on Menzoberranzan in Drizzt's do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark I noted the rumour about "survivors" of House Oblodra in the Claw Rift, referred to as "witchlin". Has these ever been mentioned in another sourcebook or Monstrous Manual?

Thanks, Zanan!

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5399 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2006 :  17:07:58  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Vendui!

Reading a few bits and pieces on Menzoberranzan in Drizzt's do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark I noted the rumour about "survivors" of House Oblodra in the Claw Rift, referred to as "witchlin". Has these ever been mentioned in another sourcebook or Monstrous Manual?

Thanks, Zanan!

I'm not Eric, but the witchlin was a creature detailed in the DragonLance Monstrous Compendium, which was basically (if I recall), a pair of skeletal hands and floating eyeballs. They were specifically an elven form of undead, again, if my memory holds.

Just thought of this, and I looked it up. The Witchlin has 3.5 statistics given in the Bestiary of Krynn DragonLance sourcebook.

"Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher is bound in his way to be a lover of myths and poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in being big with wonder."--Saint Thomas Aquinas

http://knighterrantjr.blogspot.com/

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 26 Nov 2006 17:11:53
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2006 :  22:02:33  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

quote:

Vendui!

Thanks, Zanan!

I'm not Eric, but the witchlin was a creature detailed in the DragonLance Monstrous Compendium, which was basically (if I recall), a pair of skeletal hands and floating eyeballs. They were specifically an elven form of undead, again, if my memory holds.

Just thought of this, and I looked it up. The Witchlin has 3.5 statistics given in the Bestiary of Krynn DragonLance sourcebook.

It was officially a Dragonlance beastie, but I know Ed included them a couple of times in official Realmslore. The other instance that comes to mind was Volo's Guide to Waterdeep, IIRC.

--Eric

Mod Edit: Fixed the quotes

--

Edited by - The Sage on 27 Nov 2006 00:05:42
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29652 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  00:58:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Vendui!

Thanks, Zanan!

It was officially a Dragonlance beastie, but I know Ed included them a couple of times in official Realmslore. The other instance that comes to mind was Volo's Guide to Waterdeep, IIRC.

--Eric

Pages 45 and 46 of that book. Elminster noted that it's a Krynnish beastie, but he thinks that's what's killing folks in the Prowl.

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  09:05:52  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heading off to search these scrolls. Thanks for the quick replies!

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2006 :  23:34:30  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

quote:

Vendui!

Thanks, Zanan!

--Eric

Pages 45 and 46 of that book. Elminster noted that it's a Krynnish beastie, but he thinks that's what's killing folks in the Prowl.

Ah, my DM ran a version of this idea for my 1st level character years and years ago. It was a Witchlin - apparently controlled by Elaith Craulnober. There was a hidden (buried under mud, rotten leaves and stuff) sewer grate in the Prowl, and there, in the sewers, was a hidden complex. I remember a magic circle in the largest room, with a standing and mutilated (missing its skull and both of the hands) skeleton in the middle of it. Whether it was Elaith who actually created this creature, or someone else, I never found out. My character slew the Witchlin, climbed down into the sewers, found a secret door, searched the small complex and later observed Elaith entering it (that is why I assumed that he controlled the creature somehow). Anyhow, it was a fun (and chilling :) little adventure

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
561 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2006 :  20:09:40  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric,

The product description of "Shadowdale: the Scouring of the Land" says:
quote:
In addition to encounters, this book contains detailed source material on the town of Shadowdale and environs.

Would one of those environs be post-crusade Myth Drannor?

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2006 :  23:58:40  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WalkerNinja

Eric,

The product description of "Shadowdale: the Scouring of the Land" says:
quote:
In addition to encounters, this book contains detailed source material on the town of Shadowdale and environs.

Would one of those environs be post-crusade Myth Drannor?

I wouldn't imagine it would detail that much. Covering the events of post-crusade Myth Drannor would likely require an entire chapter of a regional book.

At best, we'll likely only learn minor tidbits or side-references about the latest events involving Myth Drannor and the regions surrounding the Dalelands.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 04 Dec 2006 23:59:33
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4718 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2006 :  01:35:40  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure if Eric can detail the post-crusade MD and Cormanthyr region, he will. But given that Shadowdale is an adventure and word count likely to be at a premium, I'd say it's unlikely.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
561 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2006 :  04:17:28  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, a guy can hope can't he? Yeah, I'm a sunshine pumper.

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2006 :  21:06:27  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its probably a very very safe bet that the details of the reclaimation of Myth Drannor between 1374 and 1380 will at some point be detailed in multiple novels.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
2877 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2006 :  06:35:27  Show Profile  Send Lord Karsus an AOL message Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Octa

Its probably a very very safe bet that the details of the reclaimation of Myth Drannor between 1374 and 1380 will at some point be detailed in multiple novels.

-Realms of the Elves II, if we're lucky.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2006 :  12:30:11  Show Profile  Click to see Foxhelm's MSN Messenger address  Send Foxhelm a Yahoo! Message Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Boyd--

I love the new planetouched and can see many uses for them. But I was wondering what advice you could give me for trying to fit in one of the special abilities of the Celadrin (Melodious Voice) into the normal type of Aasimar (Humans of Celestial blood)? Would I need to rearrange the natural abilities of the Aasimar or give it an added level for adjustment.

Thanks.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2006 :  18:52:17  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric:

Ya know I love your books, but I have been frustrated lately about the lack of canonical divine ranks for most of the deities in Faiths and Pantheons. I imagine that you are far too busy now to present us a complete list of the divine ranks of all of Toril's gods, but could you perhaps direct me to such a list prepared by some other scribe or learned sage, which has rankings of which you largely approve?

I know that Ed, in particular, does not like to give absolute values to deities and NPCs, but under Deities & Demigods rules, divine rank is important: if we run a campaign in which the deities are active, knowing who has divine rank 5 and who has divine rank 4 may make a difference in what clerics or druids, or the faithful in general, can do when faced by divine opposition from a rival Power, even though both gods may both be "Demi-gods."

Those who have the sort of high clerical ranks discussed in Power of Faerun may steer their religious activities in a new direction if their deity is teetering on the brink of a divine rank which may bestow extra salient abilities. For example, the emphasis may shift from, "Kill the Heathens!" to "Convert the Heathens!"

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 46 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000