Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Eric L Boyd

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alaundo Posted - 26 Jan 2005 : 23:16:47
Well met

This being a collective scroll of any questions the Scribes and visitors of Candlekeep wish to put to a renowned game designer of the Realms, namely - Eric L Boyd. Eric has been a game designer for TSR\WotC for many years, with a vast array of products to his name, including Champions of Ruin, Champions of Valor, City of Splendors: Waterdeep, Faiths & Pantheons, Lost Empires of Faerūn, Serpent Kingdoms, Races of Faerūn and the upcoming Power of Faerūn, to name but a few.

Present your questions herein and check back to see what news may also come forth from the quill of this Realms master.
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
TheIriaeban Posted - 18 Jul 2020 : 04:30:23
Proskur: "If the coins are there, we do not care."
Harbuckler: "You got the cash, we'll hold your stash."
George Krashos Posted - 18 Jul 2020 : 03:58:13
Can't say I've ever really thought about this, and not sure I want to do this for Impiltur. It's not a universal thing in the modern world (Australia doesn't have a motto, for example) and "In God We Trust" has only been around since 1956 (I reckon its predecessor "E pluribus unum" is a way better motto for the USA but what do I know ...). My initial reaction is that I don't think I'm a fan of the concept, but interested to hear what you come up with.

-- George Krashos
sleyvas Posted - 17 Jul 2020 : 19:10:51
Hey, this question is for Eric and George both, and I'll accept answers from either (or Steven or Ed, etc...). In the U.S. and in most states, there's a "motto" for each state/country (for instance, "In God We Trust". We similar with the Game of Thrones where certain families have a certain saying assigned to them. We do see this with some religions of the realms too (which is why I thought I'd put this to Eric). I'm mostly interested in Impiltur, but for ANY countries or city states of the realms, are there any canon "mottos" that might be said to be in relation to said country such that they might appear on coinage, flags, or anything similar, and if so what are they? What would you personally say might be some non-canon mottos for any given countries (again, I'm most interested in Impiltur, as I'm inclined to make a 3d model of their flag for fun).
PaydenKP Posted - 08 Jul 2020 : 04:08:00
I appreciate the response Eric.

After searching, Jeff Grubb let me know via Email he was uncertain, so I tweeted Ed Greenwood. It seems it was a personal creation of his to honor his PC in a Campaign he was in, and the DM of said Campaign. Posting here for others seeking such information.

quote:
@TheEdVerse Hi, I have been researching Valkur, and was curious of the origin of his name. Do you happen to know it's origin? The other sages, Eric Boyd & Jeff Grubb did not know. Valkur happens to be Hungarian for Valkyrie, and am now curious of any connection there. Thanks.

quote:
Back in the 1970s, when playing D&D with September as my DM, I created Vulkur, a Breckenridge Elkins-like amiable meat-mountain barbarian, bewildered by civilized ways but a faithful sword-brother to his adventuring companions.

After September died, we ended that campaign by imagining all of our PCs literally sailing off to new adventures (offstage). One fellow player joked that Vulkur likely drowned, when his ship sank in a fierce storm at sea.

I did NOT want that fate, so I imagined he sailed into the Realms, across the planes, and a deity there saw his ship safely to a far shore. That deity I named “Valkur” as an echo of Vulkur, and in memory of dear September.

Source: https://twitter.com/TheEdVerse/status/1279476627228037121
ericlboyd Posted - 25 Jun 2020 : 17:48:14
I didn't make up the name "Valkur." If I remember correctly (and I might be forgetting a reference), Valkur first in the 1e Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting: Cyclopedia of the Realms, page 17. Valkur was not mentioned in Dragon #54.

I would say it's possible he's a Jeff Grubb creation (like Waukeen), as Jeff filled in parts of the pantheon he felt were missing.

--Eric

sleyvas Posted - 25 Jun 2020 : 14:40:01
I'd personally be surprised if that were the source of the name, given that Valkyries have little to do with boats, sailing, and other nautical matters. I'd probably just equate it to him looking for a "strong" sounding name that might sound a bit like a Viking raider's name. I would be interested though if Ed does have any origins for any of his god's names where he equated them to some deity in another mythology. I'll admit, with the advent of the internet, my knowledge of other mythologies has increased tenfold from what I would have known when I was in my late teens and early 20's. My extent of knowledge of a lot of the Asian/Arabian/African/South American mythologies was pretty much non-existent, and even my knowledge of American Indian mythology consisted of little more than what I knew of from tv (and that would have been twisted by the tv writers who knew little more themselves).
TomCosta Posted - 22 Jun 2020 : 02:19:22
I will, of course, defer to Eric, but I think Valkur was a creation of Ed's and not Eric's, though given Ed's insatiable reading and world detailing, I wouldn't be surprised if you are correct.
PaydenKP Posted - 20 Jun 2020 : 09:44:05
Hi Eric,

I had a fairly simple question. Is the origin of Valkur's name a play on Valkyrie in Powers & Pantheons for 2E AD&D?

Looking, the etymology for the word "Valkur" is Hungarian for Valkyrie, so I thought that might be it.

Thanks,
Payden.
sleyvas Posted - 29 May 2020 : 17:52:52
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Hey Eric,

Did you ever do anything with the Unicorn Blade that in life was carried by the green elf prince of Phalorm, Abadda Moonglamaer "the Unicorn Prince" (a ranger/cleric of Corellon Larethian in life)? I assume you created the item reference itself. Its from Dungeon #73 page 46, wherein it reveals that Abadda was slain by drowning in the creation of the Mere of Dead Men, and later arising as a Curst. Later he reveals the location of the blade to Chardansearavitriol (a black dragon also known as Ebondeath who eventually becomes a dracolich that later becomes a ghost like entity) in exchange for knowledge of how to permanently die, but is betrayed by Ebondeath. Later apparently some Myrkulite priests take the Unicorn Blade elsewhere but that's unrevealed.

Basically, I was thinking about having this have been a quest that the Knights of the Unicorn, under the leadership of Javalar Roaringhorn, might pursue following the events of the night of Myrkul's Eye. Maybe they're drawn to it by a vision sent by Lurue. That being said, I know you've been heavily involved with doing things with Phalorm and that region in general. If you had any notes about the blade (such as what its powers are, why its called the unicorn blade, where it went, its history, etc...), it would be appreciated, and if you're using it for something I'll just drop it.

The original reference is Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast, page 216. (It's hard to find by searching PDFs because "Unicorn" is hyphenated across two lines.)

I have used it for something I haven't released yet. PM me for details.

--Eric

Ah, I do see you were using it in "Under Ilefarn Anew" with references to the original stuff in the Volo's Guide. You didn't give any details of its location, but you had some people searching for it. Not sure what you're doing with it, but interested, and won't link it to what I was doing. I believe Under Ilefarn Anew is pre-spellplague, but it occurs to me that it might be interesting if the blade went to Abeir over the last century while people may have been searching for it. Actually that could be a good mechanic to use for all kinds of similar hijinx and not just this.
ericlboyd Posted - 29 May 2020 : 16:52:40
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Hey Eric,

Did you ever do anything with the Unicorn Blade that in life was carried by the green elf prince of Phalorm, Abadda Moonglamaer "the Unicorn Prince" (a ranger/cleric of Corellon Larethian in life)? I assume you created the item reference itself. Its from Dungeon #73 page 46, wherein it reveals that Abadda was slain by drowning in the creation of the Mere of Dead Men, and later arising as a Curst. Later he reveals the location of the blade to Chardansearavitriol (a black dragon also known as Ebondeath who eventually becomes a dracolich that later becomes a ghost like entity) in exchange for knowledge of how to permanently die, but is betrayed by Ebondeath. Later apparently some Myrkulite priests take the Unicorn Blade elsewhere but that's unrevealed.

Basically, I was thinking about having this have been a quest that the Knights of the Unicorn, under the leadership of Javalar Roaringhorn, might pursue following the events of the night of Myrkul's Eye. Maybe they're drawn to it by a vision sent by Lurue. That being said, I know you've been heavily involved with doing things with Phalorm and that region in general. If you had any notes about the blade (such as what its powers are, why its called the unicorn blade, where it went, its history, etc...), it would be appreciated, and if you're using it for something I'll just drop it.

The original reference is Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast, page 216. (It's hard to find by searching PDFs because "Unicorn" is hyphenated across two lines.)

I have used it for something I haven't released yet. PM me for details.

--Eric
sleyvas Posted - 29 May 2020 : 16:00:01
Hey Eric,

George Krashos Posted - 08 May 2020 : 15:55:38
quote:
Originally posted by perlmugp

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

For what it's worth, my Daggerford lineage is as follows:

Pwyll (b. 1332) reigns from 1356-1385
Derander (b. 1357) reigns from 1385-1430 (son and sole heir of Pwyll)
Harcondyl (b.1393) reigns from 1430-1478 (second son of Derander)
Maldwyn (b.1424) reigns from 1478

-- George Krashos

Where do you get Pwyll's death date from? The FR wiki lists it as 1372 DR citing a date given by a video game.

FR computer games are not canon material unless their events are subsequently picked up in a published Realms gaming product or fiction. I went with 1385 DR because the Spellplague seemed like an event that might cause the death of a few people. My date isn't canon either so feel free to use whatever you want.

I can however assure you that having "Baron Matagar Bugo" succeed Pwyll is an absolute abomination. Just saying.

-- George Krashos
Irrevrykal Posted - 07 May 2020 : 22:40:01
quote:

Where do you get Pwyll's death date from? The FR wiki lists it as 1372 DR citing a date given by a video game.

I added that to the wiki, but I may be in error.

The module Darkness Over Daggerford is set in 1372 DR, and opens with Pwyll's apparent death in a hunting accident. I haven't finished the module yet, but have reason to believe Pwyll ends up alive again at the end. I'll revise the relevant article once I know for sure.
perlmugp Posted - 07 May 2020 : 19:29:06
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

TheIriaeban Posted - 30 Apr 2020 : 20:40:10
Howdy Eric, I was wondering if you could perhaps clarify something for me. In Faiths and Pantheons, you mention that the Talfir pantheon was based along banks of the River Reaching. The map in the GHOtRs on page 44 shows that the Talfir Tribes were in the southern part of Sunset Vale. Do you consider the River Reaching location as the "heart of the Talfir Pantheon" because that is where Talis was located? If it had been built due to a prophecy, I could see how the city was considered a holy city for the Talfir and could be considered to be the "heart" of their culture.
Grumpy Hamatula Posted - 20 Feb 2020 : 21:59:05
Many thanks for the reply! I'll be very interested to see it when it comes out!
ericlboyd Posted - 20 Feb 2020 : 02:54:14
Not really. A friend is working on a 5e conversion. There's a couple of maps that are hand-drawn that need a mapmaker.

--Eric

quote:
Originally posted by Balfrin

Hi Eric,
this adventure sounds great! And Azazel is the most intriguing devil among the outcasts. The other devils seem to take great care to prevent him to get in contact with the material plane.

Is there an ETA for "Dragonspear Rift"?

quote:

Because I wrote a whole adventure set in Dragonspear Castle involving Azazel. It's called "Dragonspear Rift: Unto the Breach."

Haven't released it yet.

:-)

--Eric

Balfrin Posted - 19 Feb 2020 : 11:17:58
Hi Eric,
this adventure sounds great! And Azazel is the most intriguing devil among the outcasts. The other devils seem to take great care to prevent him to get in contact with the material plane.

Is there an ETA for "Dragonspear Rift"?

quote:

Because I wrote a whole adventure set in Dragonspear Castle involving Azazel. It's called "Dragonspear Rift: Unto the Breach."

Haven't released it yet.

--Eric

ericlboyd Posted - 18 Feb 2020 : 00:24:50

Haven't released it yet.

--Eric

quote:
Originally posted by Grumpy Hamatula

Hi, Eric,

I have a question for you regarding Under Illefarn Anew, particularly part of its Dragonspear Castle lore.

I noted that on p. 95, you identify Baazka as a pit fiend in service to Azazel. Prior to reading this material, I don't believe I had seen anything that specified whom Baazka served, though I was aware of the existence of the rebel dukes detailed in Dragon #91.

Out of curiosity, did you base Baazka's affiliation with Azazel on published lore? If so, where might I find it? If not, might you be willing to share your inspiration for the choice?

Many thanks!

Grumpy Hamatula Posted - 12 Feb 2020 : 02:06:54
Hi, Eric,

I have a question for you regarding Under Illefarn Anew, particularly part of its Dragonspear Castle lore.

I noted that on p. 95, you identify Baazka as a pit fiend in service to Azazel. Prior to reading this material, I don't believe I had seen anything that specified whom Baazka served, though I was aware of the existence of the rebel dukes detailed in Dragon #91.

Out of curiosity, did you base Baazka's affiliation with Azazel on published lore? If so, where might I find it? If not, might you be willing to share your inspiration for the choice?

Many thanks!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Feb 2020 : 15:46:57
quote:

No, unfortunately. I'm going to have to rewrite it for something I'm working on, so I'll share when I do.

--Eric

Well and good. I've copied what was in Polyhedron to Word, so if you need that as a starter, I'm happy to share.
ericlboyd Posted - 06 Feb 2020 : 15:19:02
No, unfortunately. I'm going to have to rewrite it for something I'm working on, so I'll share when I do.

--Eric
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Feb 2020 : 14:38:26
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Eric, a few months ago, I managed to lay hands on some old issues of Polyhedron. In issues 125 and 126, you wrote about Tulrun of the Tent. However, in issue 126, there appears to be some missing text. There's a big illustration which I believe caused some of the text to be either dropped or obscured, instead. On page 25 of issue 126, under Abode, the last line before the illustration is "There is even an armory, drill room, and small hunting". The next column resumes with "them to Waterdeep." It appears to be part of an adventure hook.

Can you supply the lost text, and/or do you know where I might find it?

Yeah, there is lost text. I can't find my electronic copy at the moment. (It may be old enough that it's on my 12-year-old Mac in an incompatible format.) George might have a copy. George?

--Eric

Eric, did you ever stumble across that electronic copy?
TheIriaeban Posted - 29 Dec 2019 : 17:34:39
Howdy Eric,

I am currently working on expanding upon what Volo had on Hardbuckler (48 pages so far) and it occurred to me that there would very likely be some interaction between the village and Aurora's catalog. Specifically, since Hardbuckler is out in the backwater of the Realms, I was thinking of having a deal created between Hardbuckler and Aurora where anyone that had something in storage could renew their storage term (i.e. pay for another year) at any Aurora's shop. That would be particularly attractive to adventuring groups since they could stay out where they are and not have to make a pilgrimage (so to speak) to Hardbuckler just to keep their stuff in storage. Given the write up in Cloak and Dagger, do you know when Aurora first opened her shop and how long it took for her to expand it out to the reach it has now? Thank you.
George Krashos Posted - 03 Dec 2019 : 14:34:11
quote:
Originally posted by echochonristic

Hi Eric,

Thank you so much for answering questions in this thread - it's been a lifesaver!

I've made the mistake of allowing a PC to be the heir of Morwen Daggerford, and now I'm dodging lots of questions about the Daggerford area while frantically Googling.

As far as I've pieced together, the rough guide to the recent lineage is Conan, father of Pryden, father of Merovy (deceased), Pwyll, and Brownwyn, with Pwyll becoming Duke of Daggerford in 1356 after Pryden's death.

Then in ~1480 Duke Maldwyn rules Daggerford, meaning there should be a generation or two in between.

Is there a definitive answer for what happened between the Pwyll and Bronwyn generation and the Maldwyn and Morwen generation?

Thank you so much for your time!

-- George Krashos

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2020 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000