Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Eric L Boyd

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alaundo Posted - 26 Jan 2005 : 23:16:47
Well met

This being a collective scroll of any questions the Scribes and visitors of Candlekeep wish to put to a renowned game designer of the Realms, namely - Eric L Boyd. Eric has been a game designer for TSR\WotC for many years, with a vast array of products to his name, including Champions of Ruin, Champions of Valor, City of Splendors: Waterdeep, Faiths & Pantheons, Lost Empires of Faerūn, Serpent Kingdoms, Races of Faerūn and the upcoming Power of Faerūn, to name but a few.

Present your questions herein and check back to see what news may also come forth from the quill of this Realms master.
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
KanzenAU Posted - 12 Jul 2019 : 12:33:11
Hi Eric, though I've been off the forum radar for some time now, I've still been slowly consuming FR lore in the background for a while now working towards a future campaign around Waterdeep, and something that keeps sticking in my mind is the Hall of Whirling Blades.

As far as I can tell, the only mentions of it in the lore are Demihuman Deities and your Environs of Waterdeep article. My question is regarding the Battle of Whirling Blades mentioned in the 3rd edition City of Splendors sourcebook - all three of these titles are by you, and I can't help but think there must be a link in there somewhere... or not, and it was an intentional duplicate use of names (such things do happen, after all).

Is there any link between the Hall of Whirling Blades in the foothills of the Sword Mountains and the Battle of Whirling Blades fought against orcs pouring out of the Sword Mountains back in the Orcfastings War? And if so, would you be willing to expand upon that at all?

My best guess is that the dwarven temple had been used as a base by forces from Waterdeep prior to the Orcfastings War (who renamed it as the Hall of Whirling Blades for the blade-barriers there), but they were overrun by orcs in the so-called Battle of Whirling Blades, ultimately abandoning it (and orcs have laired there since).

The paragraph in City of Splendors on the Orcfastings War has captured my imagination for some time, and I must know more...
AJA Posted - 04 May 2019 : 00:52:31
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

It's Im-PULL-tur.

Sorry, I'm going to need a timestamp to verify that.

JEThetford Posted - 03 May 2019 : 22:21:54
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

Subs? What are subs?

-- George Krashos

I think he'd like to be able to replace that hack Eric Boyd with the all-time great Steven Schend, for example. "That was a terrible answer to that elf question. Sub in Mr. Schend!!!"

Just answer in Steven's deep Wisconsian accent and no one will tell the difference....
George Krashos Posted - 03 May 2019 : 07:04:09
It's Im-PULL-tur.

-- George Krashos
AJA Posted - 03 May 2019 : 01:19:54

Sub-titles would be my guess as well.

Me, I would just be happy with timestamps. I know the assembled mages and sages ramble and weave in and out of subjects (which I love), but just a brief time/description of where the main query starts, like;
quote:
0:00 Introduction
3:15 Eric with a terrible answer to an elf question
7:50 George talks about the correct regional pronunciations of Im-PEEL-tur vs. Im-PILL-tur
13:45 Ed discusses the nine distinct birthmarks on Alustriel's breasts
would be great.

George Krashos Posted - 03 May 2019 : 00:58:24
quote:

quote:

Subs? What are subs?

-- George Krashos

I think he'd like to be able to replace that hack Eric Boyd with the all-time great Steven Schend, for example. "That was a terrible answer to that elf question. Sub in Mr. Schend!!!"

Harsh. But fair.

-- George Krashos
ericlboyd Posted - 02 May 2019 : 18:16:21
quote:

Subs? What are subs?

-- George Krashos

Barastir Posted - 02 May 2019 : 17:42:57
Subtitles, maybe?
George Krashos Posted - 02 May 2019 : 01:12:38
Subs? What are subs?

-- George Krashos
Zeromaru X Posted - 01 May 2019 : 01:55:27
I'd really like if those videos had subs.
AJA Posted - 01 May 2019 : 01:20:25

Mages & Sages Fans of Ed Greenwood: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAHDaW5vHsjUi8KYuacj4fA

The last posted segment is still showing as four weeks ago, but their Facebook page says (Apr 24):
quote:
Addendum: the final segment of the first interview with Eric Boyd will come out this week. We had some technical difficulties we had to deal with on the last half but should be good to get it out by this weekend.

And that there's a new one to be recorded with Eric and George for May 3rd.

sleyvas Posted - 27 Apr 2019 : 21:44:53
a new mages and sages podcast came out? What's that link again?
JasonDGraham Posted - 27 Apr 2019 : 16:37:04
Is there any other source material or novels that mention the Savants of the Dark Tide / Sargauth Swimmer beneath Waterdeep? Any notes on what's happened with them in the 100+ years since City of Splendors?
Demzer Posted - 07 Apr 2019 : 12:33:59
Thanks both!

Looking forward for the next installments of the podcast and the teasers.
ericlboyd Posted - 07 Apr 2019 : 10:18:30
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

Hi Eric,

a couple of questions spawned by the Mages and Sages podcast:
- my english is failing in giving me a spelling for the name of "... the Thrice-Spawned" demon that you mentioned, could you assist a not-native english speaker by writing it down?
- what is the event happening in the canon late 1360s that you wanted to avoid in your campaigns, if you can say? My first suspects are the events of the Baldur's Gate novels/games but I'm not entirely sure.

Thanks!

George got the name right, although saying Type VI is a little deceptive.

If you compare Daggerford as of N5 - Under Illefarn (1357 DR) to the Daggerford detailed in the North boxed set (1367 DR), and compare it building by building, you'll spot a lot of problems. By keeping the module in 1357 DR, I could avoid explaining why I invalidated a bunch of poorly done Realmslore in 1367 DR in terms of how Daggerford was detailed.

--Eric
George Krashos Posted - 07 Apr 2019 : 05:19:03
The type VI demon is Arcanrathnar.

— George Krashos
Demzer Posted - 06 Apr 2019 : 17:23:41
Hi Eric,

a couple of questions spawned by the Mages and Sages podcast:
- my english is failing in giving me a spelling for the name of "... the Thrice-Spawned" demon that you mentioned, could you assist a not-native english speaker by writing it down?
- what is the event happening in the canon late 1360s that you wanted to avoid in your campaigns, if you can say? My first suspects are the events of the Baldur's Gate novels/games but I'm not entirely sure.

Thanks!
Mankyle Posted - 26 Mar 2019 : 16:46:51
Hi there Mr. Boyd

I'm nos doing for my own use an interactive pdf of waterdeep using the awesome Maps of the wards that come with Waterdeep Dragon Heist.

I'm linking locations in the map to their respective descriptions but I'm having important voids regarding some (or most) of waterdeep's noble families.

Of course, the Cassalanters, Gralhunds and Rosznars (plus some details about the Moonstars such as the matriarch and her half drow nephew) are well described in W:DH and W:DotMM, but I wanted to know if there is something akin to the Waterdeep City of Esplendors Web Enhancement.

It is very old but I still find it useful from time to time.

I would love a document with a short description of each noble family plus Adventure seeds and NPC names.

Thanks from Spain
sleyvas Posted - 04 Feb 2019 : 19:55:40
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Out of interest how did you get your children interested in rpgs. I have two girls and if it isn't involving a Barbie it doesn't get played with. I'm considering dusting off my old heroquest box and trying that

Sounds like the Barbies need to form an adventuring company!

In all seriousness, if they are not too young, take them through an adventure, each playing a Barbie. Don't worry about stats or equipment. Just ask them questions what they do. Assign a difficulty level in your head on a scale of 1 to 20, and if they beat it, they succeed. Give them lots of successes.

Heck, you can call it B&B!

My girlfriend's daughter had a bunch of tinkerbell and her fairy friends. I had a bunch of dungeon building blocks (i.e. floor, wall, etc... that you put together to make a 3d dungeon). I let her build the dungeon. I then populated it with miniatures, stuck one fairy friend in there, and had "tinkerbell" have to rescue her. I then had her tell me what tinkerbell would do and just told her numbers she had to roll to make it happen against each mini. She LOVES playing "Dungeon" now, and periodically I just dump out all the stuff and let her build a dungeon out of the parts.

Will she ever play true D&D? I highly doubt it, but she had fun, and so did I.
Gary Dallison Posted - 04 Feb 2019 : 12:44:18
A shrek 3 style adventure involving Disney princess type characters might not be a bad idea, a bit of a parody on the adventurer rescues the princess, instead the princesses escape by themselves and save the day.

Good call. My 9 year old is probably at the right age, but my 6 year old might be a bit on the young side.
ericlboyd Posted - 04 Feb 2019 : 10:54:33
quote:

Welcome back Eric, your presence has been sorely missed. George has been hard pressed (and doing an awesome job) by the endless avalanche of lore requests from insatiable realms fanatics, and I had hoped you might be able to convert him away from the growing trend of embracing 5e but I can see that they have gotten you too, soon there will be no more old grognards left.

It will be good to have another loremasters input in the halls again. I do hope your return also heralds the continuation of work on a particular project that many of us hope to one day glimpse the final draft.

No promises, but I'll try to check back from time to time.

FWIW, I never said I had embraced 5e, but my son likes the rules and he asked me to play. :-)
ericlboyd Posted - 04 Feb 2019 : 10:53:06
quote:

Out of interest how did you get your children interested in rpgs. I have two girls and if it isn't involving a Barbie it doesn't get played with. I'm considering dusting off my old heroquest box and trying that

Sounds like the Barbies need to form an adventuring company!

In all seriousness, if they are not too young, take them through an adventure, each playing a Barbie. Don't worry about stats or equipment. Just ask them questions what they do. Assign a difficulty level in your head on a scale of 1 to 20, and if they beat it, they succeed. Give them lots of successes.

Heck, you can call it B&B!
Gary Dallison Posted - 04 Feb 2019 : 08:41:14
Gary Dallison Posted - 04 Feb 2019 : 07:32:05
Welcome back Eric, your presence has been sorely missed. George has been hard pressed (and doing an awesome job) by the endless avalanche of lore requests from insatiable realms fanatics, and I had hoped you might be able to convert him away from the growing trend of embracing 5e but I can see that they have gotten you too, soon there will be no more old grognards left.

It will be good to have another loremasters input in the halls again. I do hope your return also heralds the continuation of work on a particular project that many of us hope to one day glimpse the final draft.

ericlboyd Posted - 04 Feb 2019 : 03:45:03
Hey all. Just wanted to say hi. Life got busy and I'm kind of an all or nothing kind of guy, so I had to walk away from the Realms for a while.

All that said, my 14 year old son is now running me (playing a party of four 5e adventurers) through Waterdeep Dragon Heist and we are having a grand old time.

Swords high!

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2019 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000