Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham [II]
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2010 :  01:53:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This being another collective scroll of any questions the Scribes and visitors of Candlekeep wish to put to a renowned author of the Realms, namely - Elaine Cunningham, whos works include: Elfshadow, Elfsong, Daughter of the Drow, Tangled Webs, Windwalker and of course Evermeet: Island of Elves, to name but a few.

Present your questions herein and check back to see what news may also come forth from the quill of this author.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2010 :  03:26:43  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How is your writing flowing on this project?

As in , do you write in small blocks of time , big chunks or does it just vary always ?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 14 Jul 2010 03:28:15
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2010 :  03:33:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And just to help newcomers, here's the link to the previous Questions for Elaine Cunningham scroll:
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1888

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2010 :  04:04:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

And just to help newcomers, here's the link to the previous Questions for Elaine Cunningham scroll:
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1888

Confound it! I forgot to add that to the introductory post.

Thanks for the catch, O' Furry Hamster.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2010 :  05:13:23  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Exactly how does one tell that a ham is cunning?

(Apologies for the frivolity of the question, but these boards have seen all too much humour- and senseless posturing from those enjoying or disliking the pre- and post spellplague realms that I decided to do what little I can to alleviate the problem.)

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2010 :  11:59:22  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

I don't know, but all I can say is that THIS ham is cunning enough to have written some of the best fantasy novels I ever read, and the best in FR, in my opinion!

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2391 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2010 :  13:22:24  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by capnvan

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

(Apologies for the frivolity of the question, but these boards have seen all too much humour- and senseless posturing from those enjoying or disliking the pre- and post spellplague realms that I decided to do what little I can to alleviate the problem.)

From one site:

Definition: 1) A place name from the Cunningham area in the Ayrshire district of Scotland, which, in turn, got its name from the words "cunny" or "coney" meaning rabbit and "hame" meaning home (rabbit's home). Another possible translation is that the name derived from "cuinneag" meaning "milk pail" along with the Saxon "ham" meaning "village."

Surname Origin: Scottish

Alternate Surname Spellings: CUNNYNGHAM, KONNINGHAM, KOENIGAM

Just FYI!

The etomology of "Cunningham" takes several possible paths. A lot of Scottish surnames signify clans, but many are "place names." In this case, it may have indicated the dwelling of a chief or local king. The earliest recorded form, Cunegan, may be derived from "Conn," a word for chieftain in both Welsh and Irish. Given the location or Ayrshire, however, and the patterns of settlement over the centuries, it might also have been influenced linquistically by the the Saxon word cyning, the Dutch koning, or the Danish and Norwegian konge, all of which mean leader or chief.

Here's an interesting bit, courtesy of Google:

Scottish: habitational name from a district in Ayrshire, first recorded in 1153 in the form Cunegan, a Celtic name of uncertain origin. The spellings in -ham, first recorded in 1180, and in -ynghame, first recorded in 1227, represent a gradual assimilation to the English place-name element -ingham.

Irish: surname adopted from Scottish by bearers of Gaelic Ó Cuinneagáin ‘descendant of Cuinneagán’, a personal name from a double diminutive of the Old Irish personal name Conn meaning ‘leader’, ‘chief’.

All things considered, I think it's far more likely that the name evolved from "dwelling (or descendants) of a chieftain" than either the rabbit-home or the dairy district theories.

And yes, I do realize that all this is NOT in the humorous tone the original poster intended to set. Mention Scottish history, and my inner History Geek elbows aside my other personas and grabs the microphone. "Imma let you finish, but...."

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 14 Jul 2010 14:23:14
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2391 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2010 :  13:37:35  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

As in , do you write in small blocks of time , big chunks or does it just vary always ?

I have a very detailed writing schedule that blocks out how much I need to do each day. Some days flow better than others, of course, but there's a minimum I HAVE to do to meet the deadline. At present, I'm a little ahead of schedule.

My day starts early. The routine is hit the bike path by 5:30, walk 2 miles to Starbucks, have coffee and chat, walk back. I generally write from 7:30 to about 1:00. By then, I'm pretty much running on empty, but I find that another walk, bike ride, or other exercise in the middle of the day helps hit the reset button, so I can come back later in the afternoon to write more and/or edit the morning's work.
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2010 :  14:42:30  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

I have a very detailed writing schedule that blocks out how much I need to do each day. Some days flow better than others, of course, but there's a minimum I HAVE to do to meet the deadline. At present, I'm a little ahead of schedule.

My day starts early. The routine is hit the bike path by 5:30, walk 2 miles to Starbucks, have coffee and chat, walk back. I generally write from 7:30 to about 1:00. By then, I'm pretty much running on empty, but I find that another walk, bike ride, or other exercise in the middle of the day helps hit the reset button, so I can come back later in the afternoon to write more and/or edit the morning's work.

Reminds me of Charles Schultz work schedule. He followed a daily routine which allowed him to draw new comic strips.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2391 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2010 :  15:28:56  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by capnvan

quote:

All things considered, I think it's far more likely that the name evolved from "dwelling (or descendants) of a chieftain" than either the rabbit-home or the dairy district theories.

Are you sure there's no bias at work there?

Hey, I like rabbits. And milk. Were it not for a lifelong interest in language and history, I'd be totally on board with the Bugs Bunny milk pail theory.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2010 :  02:21:12  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hey, I like rabbits. Were it not for a lifelong interest in language and history, I'd be totally on board with the Bugs Bunny milk pail theory.

Well, at first I thought of calling you Mrs. Rabbit, after all of this name discussions, but then it wasn't exactly Bugs Bunny that came to my mind... The name Jessica Rabbit popped into my mind and something simply didn't fit.

So, I'm better leave the "bunny puns" aside, and bring another curio for this thread. I started researching the moonblade questions and statements here in CK, intending to reunite them all in a compilation of sorts, and obviously began by the first "Questions for EC." Perusing those old scrolls, I found this interesting post. Just wanted to share it with everybody, showing how the world goes 'round...

quote:
I doubt the story of the Craulnober moonblade will ever be told. The sword is being held in trust for Elaith's daughter Azariah (please pronounce this ah-ZAH-ree-ah, NOT az-ah-REE-ah, which sounds too much like an intestinal disorder for my peace of mind...), who is being fostered on Evermeet. I'd love to do a book that's a series of novellas, one for each moonblade wielder, (or a series of graphic novels, one for each moonblade wielder!) but the Craulnober blade wouldn't be a good candidate for such treatment. (Arilyn's sword would be, though!) Azariah is still a child, and it will be many years before she comes of age and attempts to claim the family moonblade. Keeping continuity in a world as detailed and sprawling as the Realms is difficult enough when everything is written in present time. If we start setting stories in the future, we run the risk of establishing "facts" that future authors and game designers might find hard to live with. Then there's the very real possibility that anything we write about the future might be negated by rule changes. (Drow magical power and items, anyone?) At the current rate of time passage and rule revisions, it's likely that Azariah would come of age under D&D edition 47.5 or thereabouts.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 15 Jul 2010 02:27:05
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2010 :  14:51:30  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, Mrs. Cunningham,

Some other interesting facts I stumbled into, in my search for moonblade lore:
quote:
If I could chose FR projects, in order of preference, here's what I would do:

1) "Restoration," the Arilyn/Dan/Elaith story, which would take place directly after the events of Dream Spheres and be set mostly in Tethyr. It could deal with the restoration of Tethyr's monarachy, and would deal with some of the issues raised in the last Songs & Swords book. At the end of Dream Spheres, all of the main characters were at a point of transition. That's not where I want to leave them, and I'd like to do a book that wraps up the S&S series--not one that would preclude the possibility of future stories, but one that would move these characters to a different and more satisfying place.

2) A story focusing on Elaith, either a caper novel or a revenge story (the primary object of his vengence being Kymil Nimesin). In either story, he would learn about the existance of his son, the firstborn child of Princess Amnestria (Arilyn's mother.) The story would be set in the present, and would not delve into Elaith's path, so that he could retain much of the mystery that currently defines the character.

3) "Darkhold," a story focusing on the Zhentarim and tying up some of the loose threads in Thornhold: the fate of the young paladin Algorind, the problem of a fallen paladin within the ranks of the Knights of Samular, the true purpose of this holy order and the REAL POWER of the rings (the seige tower was simply somthing the rings animated: think of them as a battery, and the tower as a flashlight...), the custody battle over young Cara which pits Bronwyn against her brother Dag Zoreth and both of them against the elven sorceress Ashemi, the establishment (or not) of a dwarven stronghold in the fortress of Thornhold, the skeletons in Khelben's closet that put him at odds with the Knights of Samular, and the reason why Danilo has such a dim view of paladin orders. I'd also like to tie in some of the story threads into the hidden past of the Pereghost, who is rumored to be a fallen paladin and who for many years has commanded troops in Darkhold.

Yes, I'm definitely in closure mode.

(May 2004)

quote:
And yes, there are some stories in past times I'd like to tell. I'd like to finish RECLAMATION, preferably before SERPENT'S DAUGHTER comes out, so it could be included in omnibus editions of Songs & Sword, assuming WotC decided to re-issue those books. I'd take THORNHOLD out of the Songs & Swords lineup, give it an editing pass, and make it the first in a trilogy of Fortress novels. Follow it up with DARKHOLD--primarily a villain-focused novel, with intrique among the Zhentarim--then a final story focusing on the paladin fortress in which Algorind was raised and trained. Many, if not most, fantasy stories have a strong theme of redemption, and in this case it would, ironically, be the paladin order of the Knights of the Shield (your intention was to say Knights of Samular,right?) that find a sort of redemption. I would love to tackle a Crown Wars trilogy. Then there's Lamruil's ill-fated attempt to establish a kingdom in the remote northlands. It might be fun to revisit Liriel and her kick-ass elven sisterhood.

(July 2010)

The world REALLY goes 'round, and it's good to have you back in the Realms... After all, Azariah ended up inheriting her father's caper novel!

And there were added to your (and our) wish lists the elven sisterhood project, a Crown Wars trilogy (WOW, that would be GREAT) and the Lamruil kingdom's story (Gosh, this would be my second buying choice, close after Reclamation)!

For now, we keep waiting... It's good to know you're having fun with The Serpent's Daughter. It only makes me think it will be a very good and pleasant reading!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 15 Jul 2010 16:55:21
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2010 :  15:17:47  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah, I suspect the Rabbit-home theory is my doing as I vaguely recall teasing you about it one time, Elaine. Well, it's not really MY theory but that of my friend Edward who shares the Cunningham surname... and yes to my own mortification, it might tickle you to know I've accidentally called him Elaine more than once.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2010 :  08:59:10  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And yes, I do realize that all this is NOT in the humorous tone the original poster intended to set. Mention Scottish history, and my inner History Geek elbows aside my other personas and grabs the microphone. "Imma let you finish, but...."

Considering that not only is the original poster pretty convinced Scandinavian children would have an (even) easier time to learn English if the textbooks were based on the Scottish variety, but also reacts exactly the same way whenever Swedish history or the IFK Göteborg football team is brought up, he's perfectly fine with the answer he got Pity about a good question though

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2010 :  09:57:44  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actualy, Darkhold sounds fascinating. I'd love to see how you portray Ashemi and (possibly) Semmemon. They're some of my favorite characters in the Realms, and I weep at the thought of how little lore there is about them. Your portrayal would be particularly fascinating considering what happened to them (becoming good - or at least neutral, helping Khelben, etc). Especially considering that Ashemmon is probably their son, and he became the Blackstaff after Krehlan, Khelben's son.

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2010 :  11:55:49  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

Actualy, Darkhold sounds fascinating. I'd love to see how you portray Ashemi and (possibly) Semmemon. They're some of my favorite characters in the Realms, and I weep at the thought of how little lore there is about them. Your portrayal would be particularly fascinating considering what happened to them (becoming good - or at least neutral, helping Khelben, etc). Especially considering that Ashemmon is probably their son, and he became the Blackstaff after Krehlan, Khelben's son.

Seconded.

And regarding this:
quote:

2) A story focusing on Elaith, either a caper novel or a revenge story (the primary object of his vengence being Kymil Nimesin). In either story, he would learn about the existance of his son, the firstborn child of Princess Amnestria (Arilyn's mother.) The story would be set in the present, and would not delve into Elaith's path, so that he could retain much of the mystery that currently defines the character.

I'd love to see RECLAMATION in print, but this would beat it by far. And we could see the lost prince here too!

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/

Edited by - Zireael on 16 Jul 2010 19:01:51
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2010 :  17:27:54  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's really a good one... But for me, RECLAMATION would still be on top. And maybe the lost son of Elaith will show up in Azariah's stories...

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2010 :  19:00:45  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

quote:

It's really a good one... But for me, RECLAMATION would still be on top. And maybe the lost son of Elaith will show up in Azariah's stories...

Oooh, that! I would soo love it!

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2010 :  15:09:49  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mrs. Cunningham,

Is there any thing you can tell us about this possibility? I mean, something that would not spoil your work... Besides, is there any revelation about Elaith's son that you could share with us, and wouldn't be NDA-shrouded?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2391 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2010 :  17:22:38  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Is there any thing you can tell us about this possibility? I mean, something that would not spoil your work... Besides, is there any revelation about Elaith's son that you could share with us, and wouldn't be NDA-shrouded?

Unless something is part of the published lore, it's covered by the NDA. I know that this isn't a very satisfying answer, but the folks at WotC do not like authors tossing speculation and/or spoilers into the winds of cyberspace.

There are very specific guidelines as to what we can share about coming projects. We can say a little about the characters and where the novel is set (Silverymoon, primarily.) But answering questions about specific plot points and what points of lore might or might not be addressed would definitely be in violaion of NDA terms.

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2010 :  20:43:57  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Unless something is part of the published lore, it's covered by the NDA. I know that this isn't a very satisfying answer, but the folks at WotC do not like authors tossing speculation and/or spoilers into the winds of cyberspace.

OK, no worries, Mrs. Cunningham. Another question: I've found this info in an old post in the original "Questions for EC":
quote:
On a brighter note, I recently commissioned a portrait of Prince Lamruil from Kay Allen for use on my website and other promotions. He'll be holding the Tree of Souls, gazing at a forbidding icy landscape. Can't wait to see what Kay does with the character!

Was that picture finished? And, since Tree of Souls wasn't published, is this picture somehow "unpublished lore", or something like that? And finally, if it's not available, do you think of using it in the future, in the hypothesis that the editors authorize and/or ask for the stories from the pre-Spellplague Realms?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 19 Jul 2010 20:45:00
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2391 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2010 :  20:56:14  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Another question: I've found this info in an old post in the original "Questions for EC":
quote:
On a brighter note, I recently commissioned a portrait of Prince Lamruil from Kay Allen for use on my website and other promotions. He'll be holding the Tree of Souls, gazing at a forbidding icy landscape. Can't wait to see what Kay does with the character!

Was that picture finished? And, since Tree of Souls wasn't published, is this picture somehow "unpublished lore", or something like that? And finally, if it's not available, do you think of using it in the future, in the hypothesis that the editors authorize and/or ask for the stories from the pre-Spellplague Realms?

Unfortunately, this picture was never finished. Kay is not in good health, and she hasn't been able to create art for quite some time now.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2010 :  21:55:49  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Silverymoon eh?

Good news that, I would love to see whats happening in that area in the current realms.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2010 :  09:51:40  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Another question: I've found this info in an old post in the original "Questions for EC":
quote:

Unfortunately, this picture was never finished. Kay is not in good health, and she hasn't been able to create art for quite some time now.

That's sad news. Are there any pics of Prince Lamruil aside from the Evermeet book cover? What about Maura? Is it her on the cover (as I've always assumed) or is it someone else?
I'll be grateful for any answer, Mrs. Cunningham. ;)

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2391 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2010 :  11:53:52  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael
Are there any pics of Prince Lamruil aside from the Evermeet book cover? What about Maura? Is it her on the cover (as I've always assumed) or is it someone else?

I'm not aware of any other pictures of Lamruil. That is, in fact, Maura on the cover of Evermeet. Odd story there. I saw the cover art before I was finished with the writing/revision process, so I wrote Maura into the story to explain why there was a human woman on the elven island.

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2010 :  15:51:50  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Gosh, sad news indeed... I've seen some of her artwork, nice pieces they are! It's not good to stop doing what you like this way... So I'll hope and pray she gets better soon!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2010 :  16:57:43  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Odd story there. I saw the cover art before I was finished with the writing/revision process, so I wrote Maura into the story to explain why there was a human woman on the elven island.

Dunno why, I never associated the girl from the picture with Maura... The description is right there in the book, but someway along my reading I started thinking of her in a very diferent picture. Probably I got confused, for Evermeet has a good lot of characters, and sometimes I just got lost... And no, I'm not saying that Evermeet is the Realmsian 'Isle of Lost'.

I also didn't remember the story of the human daughter of Laeral in the Island of Elves being told only in this - great - book... But I've read it eons ago, that's why my memories are all mixed up. Or most probably, it's just because I'm getting too old!

Changing the subject, and getting back to the art issue: there was a link in your page that you called, some years ago, an "Elaith page", with the Serpent's biography, bibliography, art, and some flash fiction. What happened to it, and why was it removed? Is there any problem with NDAs or Elaith's rights of use?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 20 Jul 2010 20:27:54
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2010 :  11:03:58  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Changing the subject, and getting back to the art issue: there was a link in your page that you called, some years ago, an "Elaith page", with the Serpent's biography, bibliography, art, and some flash fiction. What happened to it, and why was it removed? Is there any problem with NDAs or Elaith's rights of use?

Good question.
And oh, maybe you could put Liriel's official stats on your website too? The page with them on Wizards official site has disappeared since...

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2391 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2010 :  12:00:53  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

quote:

Good question.
And oh, maybe you could put Liriel's official stats on your website too? The page with them on Wizards official site has disappeared since...

There was no particular reason for the removal of Elaith's page, other than a general house-cleaning and streamlining of my website. The site, btw, is long overdue for an overhaul. I plan to tackle that in September, after the first draft of Serpent's Daughter is turned in.

To the best of my knowledge, Liriel was never assigned official stats. Several years back, a bunch of people on the old WotC Novels forum hashed out stats for Liriel, and for a while the result was posted on the WotC website. But I can see why the page was removed. The Starlight & Shadows trilogy is out of print, there are no plans to continue Liriel's story. Keeping her fan-generated stats online is a bit like posting fan art of Olive Ruskettle.

Who?

Yeah, my point precisely.
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2010 :  12:05:45  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. No reprint planned? 'Cause I only have book 1.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2010 :  12:15:25  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Olive was disturbingly attractive for a halfling (thinking about the Wyvern's Spur cover).

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 37 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000