Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham [II]

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
   
Message:

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

  Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.
    

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Sage Posted - 14 Jul 2010 : 01:53:58
Well met

This being another collective scroll of any questions the Scribes and visitors of Candlekeep wish to put to a renowned author of the Realms, namely - Elaine Cunningham, whos works include: Elfshadow, Elfsong, Daughter of the Drow, Tangled Webs, Windwalker and of course Evermeet: Island of Elves, to name but a few.

Present your questions herein and check back to see what news may also come forth from the quill of this author.
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
DenverJack Posted - 31 Aug 2014 : 21:18:34
I recently read Waterdeep, and was wondering about the rune Elaith could carve on a victim that would make speak with dead and similar spells fail. Was the game mechanic behind this power ever explained, or could you elaborate on the nature of the power?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Aug 2014 : 21:31:59
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

"Heck" the second I hear you have a new realms book I'll be first in line... I'll even push and shove to get in front of our giant hamster friend. :P



Never meddle with giant hamsters, for your head is crunchy and shaped like kibble...



ElaineCunningham Posted - 20 Aug 2014 : 20:53:41
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

"Heck" the second I hear you have a new realms book I'll be first in line... I'll even push and shove to get in front of our giant hamster friend. :P



Never meddle with giant hamsters, for your head is crunchy and shaped like kibble...
ElaineCunningham Posted - 20 Aug 2014 : 20:50:28
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

I preferred the unedited post by Elaine. Its good to know a writer's perspective on the spellplague as well.



Upon brief reflection, I decided that was TMI.
The Masked Mage Posted - 20 Aug 2014 : 20:24:09
"Heck" the second I hear you have a new realms book I'll be first in line... I'll even push and shove to get in front of our giant hamster friend. :P
dazzlerdal Posted - 20 Aug 2014 : 20:00:20
I preferred the unedited post by Elaine. Its good to know a writer's perspective on the spellplague as well.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Aug 2014 : 18:53:22
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:
Originally posted by Eltheron

quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

There are times when I'd love to have a part in bringing these lands back to the Realms, but I don't see this happening any time soon.


If WotC gave you the chance to fix/rescue Halruaa with a novel trilogy, I would pre-order it instantly.

I loved Halruaa, not only for your novels set there but for the overall concept. Bringing it back, and letting you do it, would do a lot for many fans.




Agreed



Heck, it doesn't even have to be set in Halruaa for it to be a sale, for me.
Irennan Posted - 20 Aug 2014 : 17:21:09
quote:
Originally posted by Eltheron

quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

There are times when I'd love to have a part in bringing these lands back to the Realms, but I don't see this happening any time soon.


If WotC gave you the chance to fix/rescue Halruaa with a novel trilogy, I would pre-order it instantly.

I loved Halruaa, not only for your novels set there but for the overall concept. Bringing it back, and letting you do it, would do a lot for many fans.




Agreed
CorellonsDevout Posted - 20 Aug 2014 : 16:47:21
I'd love to see you write in the Realms again, Elaine, and I know a lot of other people would, too.
Eltheron Posted - 20 Aug 2014 : 15:59:41
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

There are times when I'd love to have a part in bringing these lands back to the Realms, but I don't see this happening any time soon.


If WotC gave you the chance to fix/rescue Halruaa with a novel trilogy, I would pre-order it instantly.

I loved Halruaa, not only for your novels set there but for the overall concept. Bringing it back, and letting you do it, would do a lot for many fans.
ElaineCunningham Posted - 20 Aug 2014 : 14:12:42
quote:
Originally posted by Naeryndam

Elaine,

What do you think the odds are that Matteo and Tzigone or their descendants are still around in present day FR?




I never saw Matteo and Tzigone as romantically or sexually involved. It's possible that one or both of them had children with another partner, and perhaps there are descendants still living in what remains of Halruaa. But to be honest, I haven't given it a lot of thought. Whenever my thoughts turn to Halruaa, I'm stopped dead by the lingering shockwaves of 4E: Halruaa wiped off the map, Evermeet transported to another dimension.

There are times when I'd love to have a part in bringing these lands back to the Realms, but I don't see this happening any time soon.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 11 Aug 2014 : 20:48:14
I'd guess we have to wait to see what happens with Halruaa... The 4E lore wasn't all that clear about what happened, there.
Naeryndam Posted - 11 Aug 2014 : 19:44:01
Elaine,

What do you think the odds are that Matteo and Tzigone or their descendants are still around in present day FR? With all that has happened, especially in Halruaa, I would imagine not likely, but considering their heritages and that Matteo was never castrated, I think it possible. I actually always hoped for a follow up trilogy that had them romantically involved, but I guess wishful thinking on the part of a fan haha.

Thank you!
The Masked Mage Posted - 29 Jul 2014 : 20:50:19
quote:
Originally posted by Clegane

quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

Hi, Clegane. Welcome to Candlekeep!

Thanks for the kind words. I'm delighted to hear that you've been enjoying your time in Waterdeep. Unfortunately, I don't have any additional information on Madeiron Sunderstone. To be completely candid, I haven't spent much thought on his life beyond the published material, and even if I had, I couldn't share it. If something hasn't been reviewed and approved by WotC, I don't publish it. That includes posting web comments that include speculations and extrapolations. Not all FR writers subscribe to this policy, but I think it's a sound one. Internet comments soon lose their context, so any unapproved lore floating around tends to muddy the waters of continuity.

Best,
ec


quote:
Originally posted by Clegane

Hi Elaine. I have recently read several of your novels centered around Waterdeep including City of Splendors. Loved them all. The Songs and Shadows series hooked me on the Forgotten Realms. I have since bought all the Campaign material I could find on Waterdeep. I also loved your intro in the campaign boxed set of Waterdeep. I was wondering about the character of Madeiron Sunderstone and what does it mean to be the Open Lord's champion. As Piergeiron's Champion, how much time does he spend by his side and do his duties ever require him elsewhere from the Open Lord? Piergeiron has appeared in several of your novels but I think City of Splendors is the only one where we actually see him with Piergeiron(I could be wrong about this) and the just for one sequence in the story.

Is he very active in the happenings of the City? He is a paladin and must be wise and is stated as fearless and I was wondering how that meshes with him not being especially bright? Do the other Lords or would Danillo or Arilyn look down on his intellect? Would he garner any respect from someone like Elaith Craulnober? How do Texter or the other notable Paladins of Waterdeep view him. What is his personality like? Nobility and royalty seem to be held in high regard in Waterdeep, does Madeiron himself or any of his friends acknowledge his blood ties to the Hartwick royal line of Hartsvale? How is he perceived by the common folk of Waterdeep? I had the opportunity to meet Shaquille Oniel a short time back and I have to say meeting a 7 footer of his stature was an impressive site and someone of his size immediately draws gazes. I can imagine what an 8 footer in plate mail armor would immediately draw a crowd and the attention of others. Are the people of the city fairly accustomed to this site? He is described as amiable, is he the quintessential gentle giant type?

Thanks and hoping you return to Waterdeep in a future novel.







Thanks for the answer. Hope to see your name on a future FR novel, hopefully one involving Waterdeep!



I might be mistaken, but my memory says that Madeiron Sunderstone also is in the Waterdeep portions of the Double Diamond Triangle Saga books. Anyone else remember that?
Barastir Posted - 29 Jul 2014 : 13:11:35
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham
Hi, Barastir.

Unfortunately, I will not be attending GenCon this year. Maybe in 2015!


No problem, thank you for your kind answer.
ElaineCunningham Posted - 21 Jul 2014 : 16:16:35
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Dear Mrs. Cunningham,

Will you attend to GenCon this year? I have a friend going there, and if so I'd like you to autograph my Evermeet: Island of the Elves hardcover book, which I would send through him.



Hi, Barastir.

Unfortunately, I will not be attending GenCon this year. Maybe in 2015!

Barastir Posted - 06 Jun 2014 : 13:08:11
Dear Mrs. Cunningham,

Will you attend to GenCon this year? I have a friend going there, and if so I'd like you to autograph my Evermeet: Island of the Elves hardcover book, which I would send through him.
Clegane Posted - 23 Apr 2014 : 00:51:21
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

Hi, Clegane. Welcome to Candlekeep!

Thanks for the kind words. I'm delighted to hear that you've been enjoying your time in Waterdeep. Unfortunately, I don't have any additional information on Madeiron Sunderstone. To be completely candid, I haven't spent much thought on his life beyond the published material, and even if I had, I couldn't share it. If something hasn't been reviewed and approved by WotC, I don't publish it. That includes posting web comments that include speculations and extrapolations. Not all FR writers subscribe to this policy, but I think it's a sound one. Internet comments soon lose their context, so any unapproved lore floating around tends to muddy the waters of continuity.

Best,
ec


quote:
Originally posted by Clegane

Hi Elaine. I have recently read several of your novels centered around Waterdeep including City of Splendors. Loved them all. The Songs and Shadows series hooked me on the Forgotten Realms. I have since bought all the Campaign material I could find on Waterdeep. I also loved your intro in the campaign boxed set of Waterdeep. I was wondering about the character of Madeiron Sunderstone and what does it mean to be the Open Lord's champion. As Piergeiron's Champion, how much time does he spend by his side and do his duties ever require him elsewhere from the Open Lord? Piergeiron has appeared in several of your novels but I think City of Splendors is the only one where we actually see him with Piergeiron(I could be wrong about this) and the just for one sequence in the story.

Is he very active in the happenings of the City? He is a paladin and must be wise and is stated as fearless and I was wondering how that meshes with him not being especially bright? Do the other Lords or would Danillo or Arilyn look down on his intellect? Would he garner any respect from someone like Elaith Craulnober? How do Texter or the other notable Paladins of Waterdeep view him. What is his personality like? Nobility and royalty seem to be held in high regard in Waterdeep, does Madeiron himself or any of his friends acknowledge his blood ties to the Hartwick royal line of Hartsvale? How is he perceived by the common folk of Waterdeep? I had the opportunity to meet Shaquille Oniel a short time back and I have to say meeting a 7 footer of his stature was an impressive site and someone of his size immediately draws gazes. I can imagine what an 8 footer in plate mail armor would immediately draw a crowd and the attention of others. Are the people of the city fairly accustomed to this site? He is described as amiable, is he the quintessential gentle giant type?

Thanks and hoping you return to Waterdeep in a future novel.







Thanks for the answer. Hope to see your name on a future FR novel, hopefully one involving Waterdeep!
ElaineCunningham Posted - 21 Apr 2014 : 14:28:49
Hi, Clegane. Welcome to Candlekeep!

Thanks for the kind words. I'm delighted to hear that you've been enjoying your time in Waterdeep. Unfortunately, I don't have any additional information on Madeiron Sunderstone. To be completely candid, I haven't spent much thought on his life beyond the published material, and even if I had, I couldn't share it. If something hasn't been reviewed and approved by WotC, I don't publish it. That includes posting web comments that include speculations and extrapolations. Not all FR writers subscribe to this policy, but I think it's a sound one. Internet comments soon lose their context, so any unapproved lore floating around tends to muddy the waters of continuity.

Best,
ec


quote:
Originally posted by Clegane

Hi Elaine. I have recently read several of your novels centered around Waterdeep including City of Splendors. Loved them all. The Songs and Shadows series hooked me on the Forgotten Realms. I have since bought all the Campaign material I could find on Waterdeep. I also loved your intro in the campaign boxed set of Waterdeep. I was wondering about the character of Madeiron Sunderstone and what does it mean to be the Open Lord's champion. As Piergeiron's Champion, how much time does he spend by his side and do his duties ever require him elsewhere from the Open Lord? Piergeiron has appeared in several of your novels but I think City of Splendors is the only one where we actually see him with Piergeiron(I could be wrong about this) and the just for one sequence in the story.

Is he very active in the happenings of the City? He is a paladin and must be wise and is stated as fearless and I was wondering how that meshes with him not being especially bright? Do the other Lords or would Danillo or Arilyn look down on his intellect? Would he garner any respect from someone like Elaith Craulnober? How do Texter or the other notable Paladins of Waterdeep view him. What is his personality like? Nobility and royalty seem to be held in high regard in Waterdeep, does Madeiron himself or any of his friends acknowledge his blood ties to the Hartwick royal line of Hartsvale? How is he perceived by the common folk of Waterdeep? I had the opportunity to meet Shaquille Oniel a short time back and I have to say meeting a 7 footer of his stature was an impressive site and someone of his size immediately draws gazes. I can imagine what an 8 footer in plate mail armor would immediately draw a crowd and the attention of others. Are the people of the city fairly accustomed to this site? He is described as amiable, is he the quintessential gentle giant type?

Thanks and hoping you return to Waterdeep in a future novel.



Clegane Posted - 20 Apr 2014 : 17:08:19
Hi Elaine. I have recently read several of your novels centered around Waterdeep including City of Splendors. Loved them all. The Songs and Shadows series hooked me on the Forgotten Realms. I have since bought all the Campaign material I could find on Waterdeep. I also loved your intro in the campaign boxed set of Waterdeep. I was wondering about the character of Madeiron Sunderstone and what does it mean to be the Open Lord's champion. As Piergeiron's Champion, how much time does he spend by his side and do his duties ever require him elsewhere from the Open Lord? Piergeiron has appeared in several of your novels but I think City of Splendors is the only one where we actually see him with Piergeiron(I could be wrong about this) and the just for one sequence in the story.

Is he very active in the happenings of the City? He is a paladin and must be wise and is stated as fearless and I was wondering how that meshes with him not being especially bright? Do the other Lords or would Danillo or Arilyn look down on his intellect? Would he garner any respect from someone like Elaith Craulnober? How do Texter or the other notable Paladins of Waterdeep view him. What is his personality like? Nobility and royalty seem to be held in high regard in Waterdeep, does Madeiron himself or any of his friends acknowledge his blood ties to the Hartwick royal line of Hartsvale? How is he perceived by the common folk of Waterdeep? I had the opportunity to meet Shaquille Oniel a short time back and I have to say meeting a 7 footer of his stature was an impressive site and someone of his size immediately draws gazes. I can imagine what an 8 footer in plate mail armor would immediately draw a crowd and the attention of others. Are the people of the city fairly accustomed to this site? He is described as amiable, is he the quintessential gentle giant type?

Thanks and hoping you return to Waterdeep in a future novel.

ElaineCunningham Posted - 10 Jan 2014 : 20:38:57
Hi, Astolfo.

Woolly is right--I'm not currently involved with the Realms and have no idea what direction the folks at WotC might be considering for the royal family. And as Woolly mentioned, I would not be able to go into detail if I *did* know.

Wish I could have been more helpful!

Best,
ec



quote:
Originally posted by astolfo

Hi Elaine,
A quick question: in any forthcoming novel or book with 5th ed. FR, are answers going to be forthcoming to the fate of the Moonflower royal family and/or their descendants?
I've always enjoyed your work, thank you for sharing with all of us!
Astolfo

astolfo Posted - 03 Jan 2014 : 03:12:28
Thank you, that makes sense.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 31 Dec 2013 : 06:30:11
I would lay odds against Elaine being able to answer... As a freelancer, they likely wouldn't consult her or advise her on such matters unless she was working on something for them, and it would likely then be covered under an NDA.
astolfo Posted - 31 Dec 2013 : 01:52:34
Hi Elaine,
A quick question: in any forthcoming novel or book with 5th ed. FR, are answers going to be forthcoming to the fate of the Moonflower royal family and/or their descendants?
I've always enjoyed your work, thank you for sharing with all of us!
Astolfo
Portella Posted - 15 Dec 2013 : 22:57:28
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by Portella

Thank you Elaine and woolly. I was looking for copy on the kindle store and it's not available there




Yes, oddly enough the book is available in audio format (Nifty aside: The narrator sang the melody I wrote to the ballad Danilo's singing sword belts out in Elfshadow) but not as an ebook. If they DO publish the book in ebook form, I'm hoping they'll include the story or two that were left out because they'd been recently published elsewhere, such as "Gorlist's Dragon." I'd be interested in writing a new short story or two for the ebook format to make it more attractive to FR readers.



That would be great, I tend to buy only ebook formats now.

And elaine this was my intro to you as an author, you got my attentions pretty good if they released the ebook as is i would get it.

;)

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2014 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000