Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Eric L Boyd
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 48

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5691 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2005 :  23:16:47  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This being a collective scroll of any questions the Scribes and visitors of Candlekeep wish to put to a renowned game designer of the Realms, namely - Eric L Boyd. Eric has been a game designer for TSR\WotC for many years, with a vast array of products to his name, including Champions of Ruin, Champions of Valor, City of Splendors: Waterdeep, Faiths & Pantheons, Lost Empires of Faerûn, Serpent Kingdoms, Races of Faerûn and the upcoming Power of Faerûn, to name but a few.

Present your questions herein and check back to see what news may also come forth from the quill of this Realms master.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Edited by - Alaundo on 26 Jan 2005 23:17:13

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2005 :  23:28:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A simple question... Helm's lover, Murdane, who was slain during the Dawn Cataclysm. Is there any further information about this, and was she created for F&P or was she from an earlier source?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  23:33:37  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric

Faithes and Pantheons says Tyr killed a deity called Valigan Thirdborn. All we know is that he was a Lesser Power and he was a God of Anarchy (Im assuming he was CN)

Do we have any other infomation on this deity?

Portfolios and Domains (other than Anarchy?), Alignment, History etc

I asked Ed about Valigan but he said he was "Your baby" but he was keen to hear what you had Valigan Thirdborn

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 14 Feb 2005 09:55:32
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  05:50:57  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric,

I am very excited about the upcoming Champions of Ruin book. I don't want to grill you about anything you can't talk about, but is there anything you would like to share about the book?

I am curious if the book is already written and in the final editing stages or if the book is still being written. Can you say how much you wrote and what general topics were assigned to who?

Cheers,
Grayson
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  09:34:14  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just want to thank Eric Boyd for coming up with the idea of Aumanator as a tri-partite deity.

That notion alone has served as the backbone for three exciting and memorable years of continuous play in my Realms Campaign, with no end in sight.

Thank you!

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2005 :  11:40:46  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with you Sanishiver. I like the idea also and adds a bit of spice to the pantheon. Taking a leaf out of Steven Schend's book, I've always thought that the faiths of Faerun don't interact enough - they should be a much larger focus of the campaign world and there be a lot more religious friction than there appears to be. It's an angle I'm musing on currently with my Impiltur work.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2005 :  01:28:29  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as Religions are concerned, I could not agree more. I really hope to see more religious strife, interfaith controversies and attempts at "goodly dominance" of regions, so that Bane alone is not the only god a commoner of Faerûn knows about who has an openly known heavy hand/influence in a region of the Realms (ala the Moonsea environs).

I’d like to see more of the interfaith squabbles mentioned in the Faiths and Pantheons fleshed out too.

But you know what really kicks booty? All this time I’ve shown Lathandrites as aggressive and hostile towards the characters in my campaign because of their direct and indirect actions in returning Aumanator’s faith to Faerûn. How truly bizarre it will be for them to encounter Lathandrites (aka Sunmasters from Lost Empires of Faerûn) that encourage what they are doing!

Oh this is so much fun!

I wonder if Eric had a hand in the Sunmaster as well?

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2005 :  03:20:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyeone seen Eric lately? He's not yet put in an appearance in his own scroll, and I don't recall seeing any posts by him of late...

Anyway, a question for when he does return: The Realms Bestiary, Volume 1, that you and Thomas M. Costa did... Will we any time soon see Volume 2?

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2064 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2005 :  18:51:28  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

Sorry for the long absence. Life (in the form of a new baby) took over for a while and it seemed like a good time to take a break from the online world for a while.

As to the pending questions:

1) Champions of Ruin: I wrote about 16 pages of this book (before the editor's pass). My contribution focused on unique, evil NPCs of the Realms ... an old favorite who needed more integration into the Realms, an old favorite who had never been detailed, a new villain whose influence on past events has been significant, but never been detected.

2) Valigan Thirdborn: All we know of this mysterious deity is that he was a late arrival to the Jhaamdathan pantheon. By his name it suggests (presumably) he has two elder sibling gods, and by his portfolio it suggests the influence of chaos. I would propose an alignment of CN or CE and a strong affiliation with fiends of the lower planes ... perhaps, like Xvim, Valigan was the offspring of a god and a demon lord? It would make him interesting if he was the third child of Auppenser (see Lost Empires of Faerun), but this will take some thinking ...

3) Sunmaster: I tweaked the background a bit to fit with the other things I had introduced about Amaunator. In general, I had a small hand in most chapters of Lost Empires and I wrote the Netheril chapter.

4) Bestiary Volume 2: Eventually ... very slow progress ... most due to Thomas.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Mareka
Learned Scribe

Canada
125 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2005 :  20:23:26  Show Profile  Visit Mareka's Homepage Send Mareka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations on your new baby, Eric!

Champions of Ruin sounds better and better the more I hear about it. And the Sunmaster is wonderful.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2005 :  23:44:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Hi all,

Sorry for the long absence. Life (in the form of a new baby) took over for a while and it seemed like a good time to take a break from the online world for a while.

Welcome back, and congratulations!

And remember, those jumbo-sized dice are just the right size for baby hands.

quote:

As to the pending questions:

4) Bestiary Volume 2: Eventually ... very slow progress ... most due to Thomas.

Well, I guess I'll keep waiting for it, then.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 21 Feb 2005 23:47:52
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2005 :  00:09:46  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi all,

Valigan Thirdborn: All we know of this mysterious deity is that he was a late arrival to the Jhaamdathan pantheon. By his name it suggests (presumably) he has two elder sibling gods, and by his portfolio it suggests the influence of chaos. I would propose an alignment of CN or CE and a strong affiliation with fiends of the lower planes ... perhaps, like Xvim, Valigan was the offspring of a god and a demon lord? It would make him interesting if he was the third child of Auppenser (see Lost Empires of Faerun), but this will take some thinking ...

Congrats on the baby!

Hmm maybe make Valigan Thirdbornthe son of Auppenser and a Slaad lord?

Be interesting to see what other deities where in the Jhaamdath pantheon

Auppenser and 2 other unamed children
Valigan Thirdborn
Borem maybe?

Was Exarch Thelasand IV the last emperor of Jhaamdath?

Also when you put the elves tidal wave and Tyr's crusade into context it probably explains why there arent many Psionicists around in the realms (Other than Duegar and Mindflayers)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2005 :  03:18:33  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations on the marvelous, wonderful news of your new baby, Eric! Many blessings on your house!

I am intrigued by your idea of Valigan as son of Auppenser. It strikes me that as a god of thought Auppenser might have sired Murdane, goddess of Reason and Pragmatism, who might make for a good elder sibling to Valigan. I don't know if she was part of the Jhaamdathan pantheon or not, but it's an idea.

Welcome back to the forums! It's good have you back and hear that things are going so great for you!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2005 :  00:04:51  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric given the appearance of the Servant of the Fallen feat in LEOF would you say that the Banites in Mourktar where using this feat after Banes death? As of Faithes and Avatars the Mourktar Banites had not taken up worship of Cyric or Xvim

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2064 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2005 :  04:24:38  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Eric given the appearance of the Servant of the Fallen feat in LEOF would you say that the Banites in Mourktar where using this feat after Banes death? As of Faithes and Avatars the Mourktar Banites had not taken up worship of Cyric or Xvim

I'd say yes, although there may have been some woh went for Xvim as of 1369 DR. (The whole Tyrantfog thing.)

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2005 :  04:40:14  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd say yes, although there may have been some woh went for Xvim as of 1369 DR. (The whole Tyrantfog thing.)

--Eric

Thanks

Another question

In your write up of Tyr in F&P you mention a Exarch Thelasand IV

Who is he?

Is Exarch a Title?

Judging by the way its written Id say Exarch Thelasand IV isnt the Emperor of Jhaamdath it sounds like hes a "power behind the throne type of guy"

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Torkwaret
Seeker

Poland
82 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2005 :  14:54:07  Show Profile Send Torkwaret a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Eric

I'd be more than happy if you would (could, wanted to) reply to my short questions:

1. Can you be so kind and tell, who worked on the "3 new races" in the Champions of Ruin so that I can ask him to "spill some beans"

2. I know that you CANNOT say anything regarding those EVIL NPC's you made for Champions of Ruin, but...could you tell how many (more than 5, closer to 10) will there be, and how many of them will be Fiend Lords ??

3. Could you share something about your Waterdeep accessory with us ?? (a hint at prestige classes, a word about spells and monsters, something about Undermountain...)

Thanks a lot Eric !!!

----------------------

P.S - Dargoth

In the civil administration of the Roman Empire the exarch was the governor or viceroy of any large and important province and in Eastern Christendom an exarch is a bishop who holds a place between that of patriarch and that of ordinary metropolitan

Can this be of any help to you ??

...Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin...

Edited by - Torkwaret on 01 Mar 2005 13:01:33
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2064 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2005 :  13:30:07  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Torkwaret

Dear Eric

I'd be more than happy if you would (could, wanted to) reply to my short questions:

1. Can you be so kind and tell, who worked on the "3 new races" in the Champions of Ruin so that I can ask him to "spill some beans"

I honestly don't know.

quote:

2. I know that you CANNOT say anything regarding those EVIL NPC's you made for Champions of Ruin, but...could you tell how many (more than 5, closer to 10) will there be, and how many of them will be Fiend Lords ??

I wrote up 3 NPCs, one of whom is definitely a "fiend lord", one of whom might be considered that, and one who would not. There are other NPCs, above which more I cannot say.

quote:

3. Could you share something about your Waterdeep accessory with us ?? (a hint at prestige classes, a word about spells and monsters, something about Undermountain...)

There may be some prestige classes, there are spells, there are monsters, there is something about Undermountain. ;-)

quote:

Thanks a lot Eric !!!

:-)

quote:

----------------------

P.S - Dargoth

In the civil administration of the Roman Empire the exarch was the governor or viceroy of any large and important province and in Eastern Christendom an exarch is a bishop who holds a place between that of patriarch and that of ordinary metropolitan

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2064 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2005 :  13:36:59  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly,

I realized I missed your question. To answer it more broadly:

Given that the real Garagos is all but erased (the Netherese war god Targus took his portfolio among the Chondathan diaspora and adopted his name), we really knew nothing about the Jhaamdathan gods before the release of Faiths & Pantheons. Murdane, Auppenser, Valigorn Thirdborn ... none of these are my creation, but they are welcome additions to the motley crew of Realms gods, as they give us the bones to begin reconstructing the Jhaamdath pantheon.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Torkwaret
Seeker

Poland
82 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2005 :  17:33:45  Show Profile Send Torkwaret a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Eric

"...one of whom might be considered that..."

Interesting, very interesting indeed ...a powerful demon with class levels like Wendonai in LEOF, perhaps ?

Just being curious, how high is Eltab's CR ?? (around 27 like Malkizid's ??). Oh, and is he the most powerful (CR wise) creature in the book ??

Another quickie - who made Malkizid's writeup: You, Richard or somebody else ??

And last quickie - Richard (I think, maybe it was You on some other topic or somewhere...) said that "Champions of Ruin will be Vile-Light". Do you agree on that ??

Well, what more can I say...Thank you a lot, lot, lot (damn those Yogi Bear cartoons !!)

Edited by - Torkwaret on 01 Mar 2005 19:00:23
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2064 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2005 :  21:29:50  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Dear Eric

"...one of whom might be considered that..."

Interesting, very interesting indeed ...a powerful demon with class levels like Wendonai in LEOF, perhaps ?

Not a bad guess, just not correct.

quote:

Just being curious, how high is Eltab's CR ?? (around 27 like Malkizid's ??). Oh, and is he the most powerful (CR wise) creature in the book ??

Another quickie - who made Malkizid's writeup: You, Richard or somebody else ??

Don't know (haven't seen post-edit). Don't know. I presume Rich.

quote:

And last quickie - Richard (I think, maybe it was You on some other topic or somewhere...) said that "Champions of Ruin will be Vile-Light". Do you agree on that ??

I'll leave that to the WoTC employees to answer.

quote:

Well, what more can I say...Thank you a lot, lot, lot (damn those Yogi Bear cartoons !!)

No problem.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Torkwaret
Seeker

Poland
82 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2005 :  23:08:36  Show Profile Send Torkwaret a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dang !! Scorch my buns and call me Crispass !!

CHAMPIONS OF RUIN IN MAY !!!!

Dear Eric, since it is only two months, could you do some "machinations" and allow us to see a table of contents or some more ineresting hints ???

Edited by - Torkwaret on 03 Mar 2005 23:09:10
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2005 :  23:32:58  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually it raises more questions

Eric when you used the term where you using it as a religious or administative title?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Torkwaret
Seeker

Poland
82 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2005 :  23:53:05  Show Profile Send Torkwaret a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think he meant an administrative title.

(but that's just a guess )

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2064 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2005 :  03:54:59  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That particular sentence was written by Erik Mona, I believe, but I would interpret it to mean an administrative title with religious overtones, sort of like "Priest-General." I assume the title was given to the high priest of a Jhaamdathan god currently in favor.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2005 :  03:55:03  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric did you manage to squeeze any Deity specfic spells from F&A, P&P and DhD into Champions of Ruin?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2064 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2005 :  06:33:33  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope. I did do 3 NPCs, a PrC, a monster, and a couple of epic spells. It'll be interesting to see what made it in.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2005 :  06:45:12  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Eric

Was your CoR PrC a cleric based Prc? (ie like the ones in F&P)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 04 Mar 2005 11:06:18
Go to Top of Page

Torkwaret
Seeker

Poland
82 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2005 :  10:43:30  Show Profile Send Torkwaret a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now, that's definitely some good neews !!

Because (from what I have seen so far) all the 2nd edition critters were updated to 3rd, I'm judging that this monster of yours is a brand new thing !! Neat !

As for the epic spells - Dang ! There have to be some really powerful NPC's in that book !! (do you know anything about a 3,5 Larloch )

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2005 :  11:16:08  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He and Larloch really don't get along. In fact, he doesn't get along with many people. Living ones that is ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Torkwaret
Seeker

Poland
82 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2005 :  12:15:44  Show Profile Send Torkwaret a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, the living are no fun. Now demons, demons are definitely something !!

Gasp, Krash, where did your draconic image go

I hope we manage to convince somebody (anybody) to let slip some COR goodies
And a table of contents

Edited by - Torkwaret on 04 Mar 2005 12:23:48
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page