Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham [II]
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2010 :  12:25:23  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gomez

Hmm. No reprint planned? 'Cause I only have book 1.

I haven't heard of any concrete plans for these or any other novels. My editor made a vague mention of reprint possibility, but didn't say what or when. After The Serpent's Daughter is finished and the schedule is nailed down, I'll probably hear more specifics and I'll share them when I can.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2010 :  12:28:00  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Olive was disturbingly attractive for a halfling (thinking about the Wyvern's Spur cover).

Indeed she was. And this was BEFORE halflings got the 3E, slim-and-sexy makeover.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2010 :  16:58:54  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course, for a female character drawn by Clyde Caldwell she's uncommonly well covered up.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2010 :  17:30:01  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Of course, for a female character drawn by Clyde Caldwell she's uncommonly well covered up.

True enough, Kajehase. Althought I like the work of some of those artists, some years ago all women in fantasy should wear "boots of the north" or live in tropical settings...

I specially remember the art in the 2e Dark Sun, such a harsh world, water so rare a blessing, and everybody beautiful and muscular...

Even today, sometimes I think it's hard to find a good picture for a female character. One that is not overly sensual and/or languid, or that doesn't look "too modern". They were scantly dressed in the past, but now they wear leathers.

Well, at least of this I can't complain from the many pictures of Arilyn I've seen through the years... Ms. Moonblade was always well dressed - at least for her trade!

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2010 :  00:23:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There's even a joke about Caldwell's art in the book!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2010 :  17:07:18  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham
[There was no particular reason for the removal of Elaith's page, other than a general house-cleaning and streamlining of my website. The site, btw, is long overdue for an overhaul. I plan to tackle that in September, after the first draft of Serpent's Daughter is turned in.

Mrs. Cunningham, do you plan to bring Elaith's page back to your website, in this renewal plans? I'd like very much to see this material...

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2010 :  18:51:39  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

There's even a joke about Caldwell's art in the book!

Please share

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2010 :  19:55:24  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Giogi's uncle, I think it is, has a statuette of what I belive is formally termed "a nubile young lady in a becoming state of dress" by an artist named Clydwell, which is deemed to be quite scandalous by Giogi's dear auntie.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2010 :  00:20:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From page 113 of The Wyvern's Spur, by Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb:

quote:
Giogi unwound the velvet cloth carefully, revealing a gleaming black statue of a beautiful woman. Her lithe and scantily clad formed was slightly arched, and her shapely arms were swept up over her head in a circle. Her face was round and pretty. Her lips were parted slightly, and her eyes were closed, like a woman waiting to be be surprised. The rest of her physical features Uncle Drone had once described as ample, though Aunt Dorath had argued they were scandalous.

Later on the same page it names the statue as being of Selūne, and done by Cledwyll, who gave it as a gift to Paton Wyvernspur, the family founder. Paton lived around 926 to 971, ish.

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2010 :  13:10:05  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

quote:
[There was no particular reason for the removal of Elaith's page, other than a general house-cleaning and streamlining of my website. The site, btw, is long overdue for an overhaul. I plan to tackle that in September, after the first draft of Serpent's Daughter is turned in.

Mrs. Cunningham, do you plan to bring Elaith's page back to your website, in this renewal plans? I'd like very much to see this material...

Me too!

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2010 :  15:11:25  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I checked my website directory for the character pages and found that all had been deleted. I don't think I retained copies anywhere else. But one of the tasks on my After The Deadline Dust Settles List is to do a complete overhaul of my website. If there's an interest in character backgrounds, I could put something together. I plan to do a page for The Serpent's Daughter, but in all candor, I probably won't get to this until shortly before the book comes out.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2010 :  20:34:35  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I checked my website directory for the character pages and found that all had been deleted. I don't think I retained copies anywhere else.

It's a shame, I'd love to see it... Specially, to see some art different from that Elaith "the Wolverine" Craulnober of FRCS 3e and Dragon #335...
And thank you very much for you spending some time to check it out, even as busy as you are nowadays!
quote:

I plan to do a page for The Serpent's Daughter, but in all candor, I probably won't get to this until shortly before the book comes out.

We surely understand, Mrs. Cunningham. No worries at all!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2010 :  20:40:14  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is Winter Witch out and available yet? I dont know why but that title just popped into my head and I cant recall!

Go to Top of Page

vallon
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2010 :  02:28:08  Show Profile Send vallon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the subject of cover art...I greatly admire Todd Lockwood's Liriel and Danilo(indeed, his Liriel has been my desktop art for quite some time), and I'd love to see what he'd do with "The Serpent's Daughter"...
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2010 :  02:40:12  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Is Winter Witch out and available yet? I dont know why but that title just popped into my head and I cant recall!

It's schedule for release this October.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2010 :  03:28:37  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

No. It'll be available for pre-order in October and ship in November.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2010 :  04:19:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I checked my website directory for the character pages and found that all had been deleted. I don't think I retained copies anywhere else. But one of the tasks on my After The Deadline Dust Settles List is to do a complete overhaul of my website. If there's an interest in character backgrounds, I could put something together. I plan to do a page for The Serpent's Daughter, but in all candor, I probably won't get to this until shortly before the book comes out.

I have a doc on my hard drive that's a background of Elaith, complete with bibliography. I believe it came from your site. I'd be happy to email it to you.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2010 :  04:39:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I have a doc on my hard drive that's a background of Elaith, complete with bibliography. I believe it came from your site. I'd be happy to email it to you.

And it's still available online, for any scribes keen on obtaining the lost info, via the Internet's Wayback Machine as I recall.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2010 :  09:20:33  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vallon

On the subject of cover art...I greatly admire Todd Lockwood's Liriel and Danilo(indeed, his Liriel has been my desktop art for quite some time), and I'd love to see what he'd do with "The Serpent's Daughter"...

Seconded.
@ above: the Wayback Machine is a good thing, but doesn't solve everything.... Which timeframe should I look for?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2010 :  04:26:22  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Rupert, do you think it's from the Elaith page? Mrs. Cunningham, could I also ask for this copy? And you all, gals and guys, I don't have a clue of what is this "Wayback Machine"... Dunno if I said it here before, but I'm not much of a computer guy...

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2010 :  05:51:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Rupert, do you think it's from the Elaith page?

Pretty sure it is. The bibliography links back to her site.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2010 :  07:32:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Rupert, do you think it's from the Elaith page?

Pretty sure it is. The bibliography links back to her site.

Wooly has the right of it. I saved a lot of the old stuff uploaded to Elaine's old website... including the page which contained Elaith's write-up.

Go to Top of Page

Erethar
Acolyte

Germany
20 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2010 :  19:31:39  Show Profile  Visit Erethar's Homepage Send Erethar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So it is true again.

Everything once put online, STAYS online
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  12:52:19  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
Wooly has the right of it. I saved a lot of the old stuff uploaded to Elaine's old website... including the page which contained Elaith's write-up.

I wasn't questioning his right, for sure. Just asked Rupert if he could send me this material, if Mrs. Cunningham permits me, of course.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  13:37:24  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the Sage means that the Wooly One was correct.

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  13:44:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye, Kaje. I was referring to Wooly's statement about the links.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, Barastir.

Edited by - The Sage on 26 Jul 2010 13:46:25
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  13:55:15  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dare say that, generally speaking, English expressions are harder to figure out for people speaking non-germanic languages.

Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 26 Jul 2010 13:56:36
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  16:31:41  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I dare say that, generally speaking, English expressions are harder to figure out for people speaking non-germanic languages.

In fact, they are a bit harder. Our language strucuture is way different, being generally based in latin, with some words of greek origin. But for me, at least, it was more of a distraction... My fault!

Mrs. Cunningham, would you permit Wooly Rupert or the Sage send me the data from Elaith's page, then? (Where can I find a pleading-eyed "puss in boots" icon"?)

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  17:32:18  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

In fact, they are a bit harder. Our language strucuture is way different, being generally based in latin, with some words of greek origin. But for me, at least, it was more of a distraction... My fault!

Mrs. Cunningham, would you permit Wooly Rupert or the Sage send me the data from Elaith's page, then? (Where can I find a pleading-eyed "puss in boots" icon"?)

Go for it. Wooly, would you mind emailing me a copy, as well? Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  18:11:56  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Go for it. Wooly, would you mind emailing me a copy, as well? Thanks!

Elaine,

Is it something that you would allow posted here at the 'keep , assuming Big Al, The Sage and Wooly agree to?

P.S.

Wooly can you email me a copy as well?

Edited by - The Red Walker on 26 Jul 2010 18:12:33
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 37 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: