Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 66

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  01:17:04  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
<snip>
... and one important something hidden there long ago.
<snip>
love,
THO

I suppose I'll have to try to get my hands on a copy for a re-read, then...

Okay... I've done so, and there's no mention of anything in the privy shaft itself, so it must be something hidden in the lower level that the privy shaft leads to, correct? Either that, or the item was edited out of the published version because it would open up a can of worms for which there were insufficient fishhooks available... so, clearly, the full text of Ed's original must be published, even if only in PDF. [I had more here about PDFs and WotC, but it was turning into a rant, so it went away.]

Ed: Is there anything at all you can say about that important something without violating NDA (other than those three letters themselves, that is)? Oh, and if the answer is yes, please do tell!

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31683 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  01:18:30  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade

Would somebody be able to point me to where Ed addressed why the technology of our world would not work in the Realms? If Ed or the THO would be so kind to answer that again I would appreciate it, but a simple reference would do.
Ed's also talked about the technology and physics of the Realms in past replies, Mournblade. Just perform a search of the archives. The entries are prominent enough.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31683 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  01:18:53  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Wooly you rule!

That's only because I wasn't here.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  01:27:25  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
One more question for Ed, from the recent Elminster novels; I'll have to put the question in spoiler tags, because there's no way to ask it without giving things away. Spoiler question: Will it be revealed in the next Elminster novel or two exactly how Mystra survived, or should we simply assume the obvious answer at this point (because of her Chosen)? At any rate, I am eagerly awaiting the next book... and, finally, other upcoming publications for the Realms.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Master of Realmslore

1960 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  01:39:15  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
quote:

One more question for Ed, from the recent Elminster novels; I'll have to put the question in spoiler tags, because there's no way to ask it without giving things away. Spoiler question: Will it be revealed in the next Elminster novel or two exactly how Mystra survived, or should we simply assume the obvious answer at this point (because of her Chosen)? At any rate, I am eagerly awaiting the next book... and, finally, other upcoming publications for the Realms.

Not to speak for Ed, but did not bury elminster deep already say this and that she was attached to some..... ummm.... bodily fluids that was left..... ummm bare.... to the world on some...... ummm grannite or something??

oooh and forgot she became a hitch hiker tooo....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234

Edited by - sfdragon on 09 Feb 2012 05:54:48
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  04:13:06  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

Not to speak for Ed, but did not bury elminster deep already say this and that she was attached to some..... ummm.... bodily fluids that was left..... ummm bare.... to the world on some...... ummm grannite or something??

Hrm... I don't recall that part... and I read that novel recently... maybe I was very tired when I read that bit. Anyway, I'll await word from Ed and THO, or from another scribe who can confirm your thoughts. Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Lady Shadowflame
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  13:06:39  Show Profile Send Lady Shadowflame a Private Message
Hey again,

I find myself wondering about what sort of words one would use, in the old drow language from editions before it stopped showing up, for these things:

Whisper
Rumour
Murmur

And maybe the elven equivalents of them?

(DM foisted a kitten off on my drow character. I'd like to name it, which has encouraged me to want to know the translation of words that will be useful anyway. Unless Ed feels like telling me how to say 'Fluffy' or 'Fluffball' in drow.)

And since I'm apparently asking strange questions today, one more:

How does Elminster do his clothes-shopping? Does he wait for one of the Seven Sisters to tell him he's getting scruffy? ("I've only worn this robe for fifty years, it's good for another seventy!" ?) It must be mildly aggravating to know that if he wears one outfit to shreds, the tailor may be dead of old age and unable to replace it by the time he goes looking...

Thanks. I hope the questions aren't too weird.

Save a lizard... Ride a drow.

Edited by - Lady Shadowflame on 09 Feb 2012 13:14:42
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  15:50:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Jakk, Ed tells me the answer to your "spoiler question" will be much clearer when you read ELMINSTER ENRAGED, so for obvious reasons he can't say much more now. Other than to say that no, it's nothing to do with bodily fluids on a rock...
And Ed tells me that, yes, the goodie down at the bottom of the privy was edited out purely for wordcount reasons. Here's what he did reveal:
lots of bones, coins, daggers, and little tools etc. from dead bodies (kobolds murdered by other kobolds) dumped down the privy shaft in a hurry to avoid having the murder discovered . . . and the "bigger thing." Think: minor magic item, old, Cormyr-royalty-related, and not something yet mentioned in published Realmslore.
(I seem to recall it was a crown or circlet with ironguard and feather fall enchantments on it, protecting the wearer. But I could be misremembering...)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Master of Realmslore

1960 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  17:50:02  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
thats good to know...... cause that red bodily fluid on a rock was strange sounding when I was reading through it...

So is that going to be the reason on why Elminster is going to be enraged in the next book??

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  18:13:38  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO

I posted a question on 3rd November 2011, which I thought would be a quick Yes/No answer...

After four months of waiting I thought I should bring it up again as the response will have a huge impact on my campaign's direction.

So here it is again...

Did Darrask Baergil ever visit the ruins of Belarus's castle, and did it ever feature in the dreams sent to him by Tempus?

Would Baergil have been aware of the ruins location/history due to all the lore and maps he collected?

Thanks...
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2012 :  04:29:36  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Will other realms be featured in ELMINSTER ENRAGED?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  01:05:36  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Will other realms be featured in ELMINSTER ENRAGED?

Well, if El is truly enraged, then I would say yes, and some of them may very well be of his (inadvertent) creation... as nice a fellow as he is (albeit a tad grumpy), you don't make "The Man" angry!

At least, that's how I would answer the question. If you're referring to previously-existing realms, I'll let Ed handle that one... and correct me if I'm off the mark.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  02:25:33  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Hmm. I suppose Ed was "dictated" to make Cormyr the setting for most (or all) the novels in the series. Until now, I'm still trying to understand why many people like Cormyr...

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  04:02:36  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:

Hmm. I suppose Ed was "dictated" to make Cormyr the setting for most (or all) the novels in the series. Until now, I'm still trying to understand why many people like Cormyr...

Speaking for myself, I love Cormyr... probably for the same reasons that I love the Realms as a whole minus the time-jump: the detailed history. Much of this, of course, has yet to be published (particularly the Cormyr Lineage), but I'm hoping we'll see that particular example in some form under 5e. I won't ask directly, because I've already done so, and my answer now will be either "not in the foreseeable future" or "NDA" - neither one of which satisfies my thirst for answers - so I'll just sit back and wait... and try to be patient.

Edit: In the meantime, I'm going to get back to letting Ed answer questions here.

Edited by - Jakk on 11 Feb 2012 04:19:14
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  04:36:34  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
And Ed tells me that, yes, the goodie down at the bottom of the privy was edited out purely for wordcount reasons. Here's what he did reveal:
lots of bones, coins, daggers, and little tools etc. from dead bodies (kobolds murdered by other kobolds) dumped down the privy shaft in a hurry to avoid having the murder discovered . . . and the "bigger thing." Think: minor magic item, old, Cormyr-royalty-related, and not something yet mentioned in published Realmslore.
(I seem to recall it was a crown or circlet with ironguard and feather fall enchantments on it, protecting the wearer. But I could be misremembering...)
love,
THO

So... I'll assume that any more information about the "bigger thing" is covered by NDA... and it's not been mentioned at all in published material? If true, that tosses out my suspicions. And when you say "old" are we talking "Cormyr as an elven realm" old, "founding of the kingdom" old, "Thronestrife" old, or something in between? Because I don't really consider post-Thronestrife to be "old" in a dynastic sense.

And now that I've refreshed my memory of the Thronestrife... Ed, I know the entire period is swaddled in NDAs, but is there anything you can say about the Purplethroat Plague? And now, I promise, I'm done asking about stuff I know is 99% likely to be "NDA" in answer. Many thanks.

Edited by - Jakk on 11 Feb 2012 04:38:31
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  06:01:49  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
One more question, Ed, inspired by your introduction to this wonderful place. What can you tell us about the contents of Thalavoon's Spells For My Sworn Mages? Hopefully this one is less NDA-swaddled than the Thronestrife... and again, many thanks for everything.

Post #1867, fittingly made from one Canadian to another. O Canada!

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Master of Realmslore

1352 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  11:18:29  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
Greetings!
Dragonmagic was supposed to be too powerful for any other mortals to handle, right? But is it a subset of normal arcane magic, only uses a more powerful way of channeling it or a dragon's body can convert raw magic autonomously?
The former seems to imply they can switch to the Shadow Weave like other magic-using creatures and use dragonmagic with all the Shadow Weave traits like being hard to detect and dispel. The latter, that they still can throw a few specific spells when neither normal Weave (or Shadow Weave) derived magic is accessible. So, how it works?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  11:21:10  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Speaking for myself, I love Cormyr... probably for the same reasons that I love the Realms as a whole minus the time-jump: the detailed history. Much of this, of course, has yet to be published (particularly the Cormyr Lineage), but I'm hoping we'll see that particular example in some form under 5e. I won't ask directly, because I've already done so, and my answer now will be either "not in the foreseeable future" or "NDA" - neither one of which satisfies my thirst for answers - so I'll just sit back and wait... and try to be patient.

Edit: In the meantime, I'm going to get back to letting Ed answer questions here.

I have to say I agree wholeheartedly with this! And let me add that in addition to its rich history and lore, Cormyr also features more its fair share of detailed maps, interesting NPCs, scheming nobles, and potential adventure hooks and locations (such as Haunted Halls).

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  12:17:34  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

quote:

Wooly you rule!

Nah, that was an easy one...

Ah, but how many other people already had those two things prepared, so that all was needed was a cut-paste-post?

Krash, Sage, and Brian (Cortijo), to name a few!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  15:22:42  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Speaking for myself, I love Cormyr... probably for the same reasons that I love the Realms as a whole minus the time-jump: the detailed history. Much of this, of course, has yet to be published (particularly the Cormyr Lineage), but I'm hoping we'll see that particular example in some form under 5e.

I suppose my lack of interest in Cormyr comes from knowing a lot of incompetent people in that realm. The War Wizards, specially. I don't dislike Cormyr. I simply can't care enough for it and its denizens. I would not think it a loss if they nuked Cormyr instead of Halruaa.

Go to Top of Page

AryalůmŽ
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  15:34:24  Show Profile Send AryalůmŽ a Private Message
Hi THO.

Has Ed ever had any deities of death, undeath, and/or necromancy that weren't "evil". Similar to that of Wee Jas?
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  15:46:09  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Kelemvor. He is not evil. He never was.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29635 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  16:33:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wooly you rule!

Nah, that was an easy one...

Ah, but how many other people already had those two things prepared, so that all was needed was a cut-paste-post?

Krash, Sage, and Brian (Cortijo), to name a few!

Dunno about that... I've literally got pages of various quotes, references, and links, all pre-formatted specifically for posting here. All I have to do is copy-paste, and that's it -- everything from italics to smileys is already in there.

I got into that habit before my wrongful banning from the WotC forums, and I've continued it here. That's why so many new scribes get the exact same "Welcome to Candlekeep!" message from me.

(I do something similar, at work. I work the Help Desk, and I've got maybe 50 or 60 emails, ready to send at a moment's notice, that either say how to resolve something or specify how to properly request it.)

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  16:44:01  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:
I got into that habit before my wrongful banning from the WotC forums, and I've continued it here. That's why so many new scribes get the exact same "Welcome to Candlekeep!" message from me.

And once from me!

(And it's also why I'm pretty sure which FR-deity is Woolpert's favourite.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29635 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  18:26:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:

And once from me!

(And it's also why I'm pretty sure which FR-deity is Woolpert's favourite.

Lurue, actually. Despite my tendency to be helpful and knowledgable, I am above all else whimsical.

I just got tired, when I was on the WotC forums, of having to format the same links every time, or retype the same comment, over and over... So I found an easier way to do it. I'm a big fan of the "work smarter, not harder" philosophy.

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 66 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000