Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Rosemary Jones
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  01:58:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This being a collective scroll of any questions the Scribes and visitors of Candlekeep wish to put to a renowned author of the Realms, namely - Rosemary Jones, whose works include: "The Woman Who Drew Dragons" from the Realms of the Dragons II anthology, Crypt of the Moaning Diamond of "The Dungeons" series, and City of the Dead, from the "Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep" series.

Present your questions herein and check back to see what news may also come forth from the quill of this author.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  03:03:29  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I missed your book signing last week Rosemary, so my question to you is: "When is the next one!?"

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  09:27:53  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
just incase ERic, didnt tell you, Rosemary Jones, I read city of the dead, a good book, but it read like a mystery novel, so I didnt enjoy it as much as the others in the series.

clue FR version: it was the old man, in the yard with a book

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  15:49:42  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Before the scroll came out I asked Rosemary a few questions on e-mail and she was kind enough to take the time and answer them for me. So I will put them here for anyone else who may be wondering.

1) Was/is the "unguarded gate" cannon or was this your own creation?

2) more of a hope then a question, in your next novel (of many I hope) about the carvers is there any chance of having a map of the City of the Dead?

3) Any chance of some backstory about Gustin? He wa s probably my favorite character of the book.

If you can't answer now (too busy) or are not allowed (NDA) please let me know and I will just wait (impatiently) for your next book.

She replied with

1. The gate, Dead End House, and the entire Carver clan were my idea. But Ed and the folks at WOTC gave this their blessing after they read the story. There's certainly suggestions elsewhere that not all the entrances and exits to the City of the Dead are known. The only note that I got from Ed was that the portals are still working there to the outlying cemetaries.

2. I used the maps currently available of Waterdeep in Boyd's guide and from Ed's earlier Volo's Guide to Waterdeep. There were some discrepancies between the two, which led to Gustin's questionable guidebook. My current theory, expressed to another DM interested in running a Waterdeep campaign, is that if anyone in Waterdeep sells you a map, it may or may not be true. But if you go back and complain to the merchant, he or she will just shrug and sell you another one! City of the Dead takes place in the largely undefined northern end of the graveyard.

I suspect paths and even major monuments in the north may appear to move about if the dead are feeling frisky. Which would confuse any poor mapmaker trying to work out where things are. The better known momuments at the south end of the graveyard remain where they are labeled in Boyd's guide.

3. I'm working on a Gustin story right now for the WOTC website! When it goes live, I'll let you know.

Best wishes,
Rosemary

What a nice classy lady. Thank you Rosemary

"Go ahead...Sleep in the church...the vampires can't get ya in the church" Any DM...any time.

"He's like a trained ape...without the training"
Simon after Jane trashed the Med lab
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  16:47:15  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Teneck<snip>
I suspect paths and even major monuments in the north may appear to move about if the dead are feeling frisky. Which would confuse any poor mapmaker trying to work out where things are. The better known momuments at the south end of the graveyard remain where they are labeled in Boyd's guide.

I bet Mirt's statue is a accountable for much of this...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  21:42:15  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Teneck

Snip

I suspect paths and even major monuments in the north may appear to move about if the dead are feeling frisky.

So if a Carver dies...then becomes "frisky"...does that mean he/she just wanders the graveyard taking care of tombs?

Things that make ya go...Huh??

"Go ahead...Sleep in the church...the vampires can't get ya in the church" Any DM...any time.

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2009 :  05:02:24  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hadn't thought about what Carvers do after they are dead. Hmm. Interesting question. I suspect it depends on the individual. Volponia would definitely be frisky, probably trying to find a ship to sail out of the City of the Dead.

The Carver tomb would definitely be well guarded and probably well hidden. After all, there is nobody who knows more about keeping the dead safe from intruders.

As for the next signing -- ah, I'm such a slowpoke about arranging these things. Erik was the nice guy who got the signing set up at University Book Store.

I do happily mail out bookplates with my signature to anyone who writes about my books -- whether here in Candlekeep or elsewhere on the web. All you have to do is email me your address and let me know if you want to bookplate for City or the bookplate for Crypt. Send to rosemarynovels@aol.com.

Best wishes all
Rosemary

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2009 :  05:05:17  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

just incase ERic, didnt tell you, Rosemary Jones, I read city of the dead, a good book, but it read like a mystery novel, so I didnt enjoy it as much as the others in the series.

That's the nice thing about the variety of people writing in the Realms. If one author isn't quite your cup of tea, the next one may be just the thing for you.

At our recent signing, Erik read his terrific prologue with bone-crushing fight scene. I read about Sophraea hanging laundry. Very much truth in advertising!

Regards,
Rosemary

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2009 :  15:34:51  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rosemary Jones

quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

Snip
I read about Sophraea hanging laundry. Very much truth in advertising!

Regards,
Rosemary

Did you at least get to the part where Gustin helps her?

And another question..Can you give us any details about the "Dead Safe". I love the idea and I am thinking of doing a W
aterdeep adventure soon. I have never done one in the past as I was always of the opinion that a "city" adventure wouldn't go over to well with my players. But now that I have read the Ed Presents series I have a MUCH different opinion
Thanks

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2009 :  04:41:51  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Did you at least get to the part where Gustin helps her?

And another question..Can you give us any details about the "Dead Safe". I love the idea and I am thinking of doing a W
aterdeep adventure soon. I have never done one in the past as I was always of the opinion that a "city" adventure wouldn't go over to well with my players. But now that I have read the Ed Presents series I have a MUCH different opinion
Thanks

I ended the reading with Gustin's spell and her exclamation about this! It was one of the earliest scenes that came into my head about that pair and I loved getting to share it out loud.

The dead safe is based on an actual invention used to foil body snatchers, the thieves would steal bodies from graves and sell them to medical college or doctors for autopsies. Burke and Hare are the most famous of these "resurrectionists" but it was a common problem in many graveyards until it became legal to give bodies to colleges. The price paid for a body made the theft worthwhile, with the more notorious of these thieves were willing to snatch bodies that weren't dead yet (they were stiffs by the time that they were delivered to the colleges). The actual name for these devices is mortsafe or mort-safe.

Here's a few pictures of a real mortsafes:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ijfp/2569267762/
http://lmid1a.rcahms.gov.uk/images/664925.jpg
http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/hommedia.ashx?id=8627&size=Small

Of course, in the Realms, the problem would be a bit more magical, with the dead as likely to liberate themselves from a grave as an outside force, so the dead safe would need to surround the coffin (to prevent digging down or to the side to liberate oneself).

Hope this helps! I think a dead safe would be a great obstacle for your adventurers. One feature of all of these is that they are EXTREMELY heavy and not easy to remove. Again, in the Realms, the dead safe may be anchored into the ground with a little extra magic if needed.

Hope that helps!

Rosemary

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3281 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2009 :  11:45:34  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I learn something new everyday. Thanks Rose.

I haven't read City yet, but I bought it. I am really starting to enjoy the Waterdeep Novels that Ed Greenwood Presents.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2009 :  03:11:05  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

I learn something new everyday. Thanks Rose.

I haven't read City yet, but I bought it. I am really starting to enjoy the Waterdeep Novels that Ed Greenwood Presents.

I've felt very honored to be included in the Waterdeep series. It's such a great group of writers and so many different stories.

I love doing research and can cheerfully spend hours and hours of times pursuing odd topics. When working on my previous Realms novel Crypt, I read a number of books about siege warfare and sappers. As well as a great deal of FR campaign books and monster manuals.

Right now, a friend and I are planning a NaNoWriMo smackdown based on the history of women pilots in WWII, each tackling the same topic from different angles. So I'm checking out numerous aviation history books from the library.

My local librarians are a great group and never ask "But why are you taking home a dozen medieval warfare books?" or "why have you checked out that book on graveyards for the fifth time?"

Regards,
Rosemary

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2009 :  15:42:17  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Rose...I had no idea there was a real world equivalent to you dead safes...Now THAT makes 'em even more awesome for gaming purposes.
And I am glad you got to Gustin's spell in the book...The shock on her face when she turned around was priceless.

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2009 :  05:15:15  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well if you want a little real world wandering into the Realms (with appropriate twists), try "Pigs Explode"

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4dnd/20081124

This short story serves as a prequel to CRYPT OF THE MOANING DIAMOND.

I loved the idea of exploding porkers -- there's a reference to bad King John possibly using this against the Welsh at one point. I couldn't quite fit it into the novel so I made it something that my Siegebreakers had done in their recent past. And when WOTC asked for a short story for the website, this was the result.

Cheers,
Rosemary

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2009 :  03:32:24  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
City of the Dead in a Fantasy Magazine contest. One of my readers entered City of the Dead into a Fantasy Magazine contest. If you want to see me survive past round one, you can vote here:

http://www.darkfantasy.org/fantasy/?p=4568

Just put Rosemary Jones: City of the Dead in the comments.

Feel free to share. Being my usual clueless self, I didn't know it was there until Robinson sent me a message.

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2009 :  15:42:46  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

City of the Dead in a Fantasy Magazine contest. One of my readers entered City of the Dead into a Fantasy Magazine contest. If you want to see me survive past round one, you can vote here:

http://www.darkfantasy.org/fantasy/?p=4568

Just put Rosemary Jones: City of the Dead in the comments.

Feel free to share. Being my usual clueless self, I didn't know it was there until Robinson sent me a message.

I voted and put you at the top of my list...the only issue I have with the other reader who voted for you is that on his list he put Stephen R. Donaldson - The Thomas Covenant Chronicles...yikes...now I am forced to question his sanity. Just kidding actually...that is a good series as well...I have just always despised the lead character.

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2009 :  05:32:48  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could never get into the Covenant series. I had a roommate who adored it and I tried a couple of times to read it. Different strokes for different folks.

Rosemary

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2009 :  15:35:12  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I could never get into the Covenant series. I had a roommate who adored it and I tried a couple of times to read it. Different strokes for different folks.

Rosemary

Don't feel bad about it...I think the only reason I finished the series was pure stubbornness on my part. By the way I am totally blaming you for my poor nights sleep. I gave City of the Dead to the wife last night...after an hour I had to kick her out of the room...I couldn't sleep with all the giggling. She asked me to tell you she loves it.

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  16:07:28  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love to hear that my books make people laugh. Lend her Crypt of the Moaning Diamond next.

Hey, I've got a question for my readers and anyone else wandering through: what's a good name for a dwarf?

I'm working on a story for the WOTC website. I'll happily take your suggestion for the dwarf name! Here's his description as first seen by a young Gustin Bone:
There was a dwarf walking along side this dandy, brave with highly polished helmet on his head and a bright red beard cascading down his broad as a barrel front.

Rosemary

Rosemary

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  16:19:05  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the clan of dwarves located in the Galena mountains in my home game.

Tapper Stoutkeg, of the clan Stoutkeg.

Primary brewers for the settlement of about 650 dwarves in the northern part of the mountains.

Their success lies in the secret ingredient that they put in the ales and beers.

Only Dwarf name I could think of here at work

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  20:12:44  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Tapper. Hmmm, keep your eyes peeled. Something may come of this.

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3281 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  21:43:50  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rosemary, I am currently reading City of the Dead.

Good stuff. This is the most unusual novel.

Does Sophrea have any heroic levels or is she just a normal(Up for debate, I know) Girl? A girl thats running around with a first level wizard?

Great novel.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  12:07:36  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Re: dwarf names- how about Glod? Perfectly good dwarf name with plenty of provenance.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2009 :  08:38:54  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've found that dwarf names starting with a "B" or "H" seem to flow easier from my tongue; like Berltor or Hargand
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  07:31:04  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There was a dwarf walking along side this dandy, brave with highly polished helmet on his head and a bright red beard cascading down his broad as a barrel front.

A dwarf name I once used for a character was Gerund Burrowforge.

We are also using a dwarf in our Dalelands adventure series called Dorring Brightaxe. Dorring shaves his head bald. His beard is red as fire and he wears it in a clean braid ending in an iron ring. His favorite weapons are bows, aside from his family heirloom, a Brightaxe clan battleaxe. Dorring's best friend is Elyan the Swift, a female halfling he met in Earthheart when he lived there (the Brightaxes, being originally merchants, are scattered over the realms, though their roots lie in Daggerdale).
The clan name was derived from Brightblade, a Daggerdale dwarven clan. The Brightaxes are an offshoot who changed the name because it was better marketable in Sembia and beyond - what do humans know about dwarves, after all?. The Brightaxes are a bit disdained by the Brightblades for that reason.

You could use Dorring (he was last located near the Dalelands, but an errant - and yes, I do have some ideas, PM me if you like - might prompt him to travel to Waterdeep), or another member of his family.

Pierre 'Gomez' van Rooden,
LFR Dalelands Writing Director

Edited by - gomez on 01 Sep 2009 07:32:23
Go to Top of Page

Tremaine
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2009 :  12:08:12  Show Profile Send Tremaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hi, I got city of the dead for Christmas with some other realm books and started yours first and I'm really enjoying it only up to chapter 5 so far through

on chapter 3 There is a mention of a broadsheet called the blue unicorn did you come up with that? for some reason I find it amusing that the realms have the equivalent to newsagents and press deadlines do you know how many broadsheets,magazines are in the realms and do there have page 3's and celebrity columns

read about the author on the back of the novel and it says something about a Cardiff giant what is this? sounds cool
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2010 :  23:14:07  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tremaine

hi, I got city of the dead for Christmas with some other realm books and started yours first and I'm really enjoying it only up to chapter 5 so far through

on chapter 3 There is a mention of a broadsheet called the blue unicorn did you come up with that? for some reason I find it amusing that the realms have the equivalent to newsagents and press deadlines do you know how many broadsheets,magazines are in the realms and do there have page 3's and celebrity columns

read about the author on the back of the novel and it says something about a Cardiff giant what is this? sounds cool

The Blue Unicorn is actually a little shout out to fellow Waterdeep author Steven Schend. He'd sent me a note about the broadsheets and mentioned that one in particular. According to a number of guides published about Waterdeep, the city has a flourishing industry in gossip rags and other literature including the equivalent of pulp novels about heroic exploits of others -- this is probably inspired Gustin's original idea for a "frozen hero."

The Cardiff Giant is a real hoax created in the 19th century. Basically George Hull buried large stone statue of man in a field in upstate New York, dug it up, and claimed that he had found a fossil of a giant dating back to Biblical times.

Being the days before TV, people paid to look at it.

Some equally sharp journalists figured out that the "giant" wasn't real, but had been actually carved by a stonemason in Chicago and shipped to New York state. The stonemason in question was an ancestor of mine and, looking at photos of the Giant, I must say that he looks much like my cousin Tony from certain angles. So I've always suspected the stonemason used himself or his sons as the model, although some articles claim that George Hull (the guy who thought up the idea) had it modeled on himself.

According to family legend, my ancestor didn't get much money for the job. When the Giant was eventually sold to P.T. Barnum, his wife told him that he should have charged Hull more. These days, you can see the Giant at a museum in Cooperstown, NY. But you still have to pay to look at it -- so maybe Gustin had a pretty good idea for a business!

As for my ancestor, he continued to make his living carving statuary for graveyards.

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2010 :  23:19:34  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Rosemary, I am currently reading City of the Dead.

Good stuff. This is the most unusual novel.

Does Sophrea have any heroic levels or is she just a normal(Up for debate, I know) Girl? A girl thats running around with a first level wizard?

Great novel.

I'm so sorry - I thought I posted this reply earlier. Sophraea is basically a normal girl with some slight psychic talents (basically she always knows where she is when inside the graveyard's walls).

Gustin may even be level 3 -- he's bit modest about his abilities and likes to use his head as much as his magic to get himself out of problems.

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2010 :  13:37:04  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Gustin may even be level 3 -- he's bit modest about his abilities and likes to use his head as much as his magic to get himself out of problems.

That's no way to become a hero!

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3281 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2010 :  21:48:57  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rose.

One of the reasons I like the novel. The characters were not uber-powered.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2010 :  00:45:00  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not a very uber-powered person, myself -- as anyone watching me struggle to take down my Christmas tree can attest (I'm currently retreating to the corner of the living room and fiddling with the computer to ignore the fact that the lights are still tangled around the tree base).

As a novelist, I find uber-powered characters problematic. To get them into real trouble, you're basically stuck with doing the end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it dance. Which is a great treat when done right, but tends to dominate too much fantasy fiction. Besides, like the song in Camelot, I spend a lot of time wondering "what do the simple folk do" when overrun with dragons, ghosts, and walking skeletons.

The lovely thing about Ed's world is that there's room for both big and small stories: you can write the end of the world or you can fiddle about with topiary dragons.

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000