Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  06:01:49  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
One more question, Ed, inspired by your introduction to this wonderful place. What can you tell us about the contents of Thalavoon's Spells For My Sworn Mages? Hopefully this one is less NDA-swaddled than the Thronestrife... and again, many thanks for everything.

Post #1867, fittingly made from one Canadian to another. O Canada!

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  11:18:29  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
Greetings!
Dragonmagic was supposed to be too powerful for any other mortals to handle, right? But is it a subset of normal arcane magic, only uses a more powerful way of channeling it or a dragon's body can convert raw magic autonomously?
The former seems to imply they can switch to the Shadow Weave like other magic-using creatures and use dragonmagic with all the Shadow Weave traits like being hard to detect and dispel. The latter, that they still can throw a few specific spells when neither normal Weave (or Shadow Weave) derived magic is accessible. So, how it works?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  11:21:10  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Hmm. I suppose Ed was "dictated" to make Cormyr the setting for most (or all) the novels in the series. Until now, I'm still trying to understand why many people like Cormyr...

Speaking for myself, I love Cormyr... probably for the same reasons that I love the Realms as a whole minus the time-jump: the detailed history. Much of this, of course, has yet to be published (particularly the Cormyr Lineage), but I'm hoping we'll see that particular example in some form under 5e. I won't ask directly, because I've already done so, and my answer now will be either "not in the foreseeable future" or "NDA" - neither one of which satisfies my thirst for answers - so I'll just sit back and wait... and try to be patient.

Edit: In the meantime, I'm going to get back to letting Ed answer questions here.

I have to say I agree wholeheartedly with this! And let me add that in addition to its rich history and lore, Cormyr also features more its fair share of detailed maps, interesting NPCs, scheming nobles, and potential adventure hooks and locations (such as Haunted Halls).

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  12:17:34  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade

Wooly you rule!

Nah, that was an easy one...

Ah, but how many other people already had those two things prepared, so that all was needed was a cut-paste-post?

Krash, Sage, and Brian (Cortijo), to name a few!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  15:22:42  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

quote:

Hmm. I suppose Ed was "dictated" to make Cormyr the setting for most (or all) the novels in the series. Until now, I'm still trying to understand why many people like Cormyr...

Speaking for myself, I love Cormyr... probably for the same reasons that I love the Realms as a whole minus the time-jump: the detailed history. Much of this, of course, has yet to be published (particularly the Cormyr Lineage), but I'm hoping we'll see that particular example in some form under 5e.

I suppose my lack of interest in Cormyr comes from knowing a lot of incompetent people in that realm. The War Wizards, specially. I don't dislike Cormyr. I simply can't care enough for it and its denizens. I would not think it a loss if they nuked Cormyr instead of Halruaa.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  15:34:24  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message
Hi THO.

Has Ed ever had any deities of death, undeath, and/or necromancy that weren't "evil". Similar to that of Wee Jas?
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  15:46:09  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Kelemvor. He is not evil. He never was.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  16:33:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wooly you rule!

Ah, but how many other people already had those two things prepared, so that all was needed was a cut-paste-post?

Dunno about that... I've literally got pages of various quotes, references, and links, all pre-formatted specifically for posting here. All I have to do is copy-paste, and that's it -- everything from italics to smileys is already in there.

I got into that habit before my wrongful banning from the WotC forums, and I've continued it here. That's why so many new scribes get the exact same "Welcome to Candlekeep!" message from me.

(I do something similar, at work. I work the Help Desk, and I've got maybe 50 or 60 emails, ready to send at a moment's notice, that either say how to resolve something or specify how to properly request it.)

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  16:44:01  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:
I got into that habit before my wrongful banning from the WotC forums, and I've continued it here. That's why so many new scribes get the exact same "Welcome to Candlekeep!" message from me.

And once from me!

(And it's also why I'm pretty sure which FR-deity is Woolpert's favourite.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  18:26:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:

And once from me!

(And it's also why I'm pretty sure which FR-deity is Woolpert's favourite.

Lurue, actually. Despite my tendency to be helpful and knowledgable, I am above all else whimsical.

I just got tired, when I was on the WotC forums, of having to format the same links every time, or retype the same comment, over and over... So I found an easier way to do it. I'm a big fan of the "work smarter, not harder" philosophy.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  20:26:05  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message
quote:

Kelemvor. He is not evil. He never was.

He extremely hates necromancy and undead.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  22:50:21  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

You mentioned death. He's the god of death. If you refer to god of death and undeath (a god having both portfolios), I doubt if there's any. The two aspects of "existence" are contradictory.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2012 :  02:10:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wooly you rule!

Dunno about that... I've literally got pages of various quotes, references, and links, all pre-formatted specifically for posting here. All I have to do is copy-paste, and that's it -- everything from italics to smileys is already in there.
Well, he's partly right in that I've also done the same. But mine tend to be more elaborate, and incorporated into the operation of SageBrowser... which kind of undermines the whole concept of keeping things simple, I suppose.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2012 :  02:12:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
And as much as I dislike having to say this, I think we all need to limit this side-chatter. It's cluttering Ed's scroll, and making my duty as official compiler of Ed's replies, somewhat more difficult.

So let's leave this space just for questions and answers to and from Ed, eh?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2012 :  03:29:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ah, how can I resist a setup like that, Sage?
Hi again, all! I'm back with the latest words of Ed, this time a response to Erendriel Durothil's post from two pages back: "I really hope this isn't out of line in me asking, but is Ed Greenwood making any plans to resurrect the old Drow pantheon? Namely, Kiaransalee? I hope this gets to him, as a plea of a die hard fan, if he hasn't thought about it yet."
Ed replies:

Hi. Well, it's not up to me which gods come and go. Wizards of the Coast owns the copyright to the Realms, and folks there would ultimately decide such things. If I was involved in bringing a deity back, I couldn't tell you about it beforehand. Just as I can't tell anyone what's going to happen in ELMINSTER ENRAGED. That's just the way this great game is played, folks. There are rules, and I have to follow them.
Besides, if everything was revealed before it happened, what fun would that be? ;}

So saith Ed. Who just finished more Realmslore, and so (of course) is about to plunge into doing MORE Realmslore.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2012 :  03:35:19  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message
quote:

You mentioned death. He's the god of death. If you refer to god of death and undeath (a god having both portfolios), I doubt if there's any. The two aspects of "existence" are contradictory.

Wee Jas, Greyhawk goddess of Death, be accepting of them undead, being their divine patroness and everything.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2012 :  04:28:50  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
hiya Ed! i sincerely hope that your enjoyment of all you're working on is equal to our fidgety anticipation of it.

question: which dracolich was it that slew Aencar the Mantled King? i'm not seeing any telling references to Aencar in the deeds of dracoliches.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2012 :  01:09:52  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
Once again shall I venture into the topic of Haunted Halls, and I think Milady Hooded One can answer these ones without bothering Ed at all:

Which type of floor is the most common in the Halls: flagstone (made of fitted stones), hewn (uneven/rough) or polished/smooth? Likewise with walls: hewn (rough), smooth or masonry? In my games I've described most rooms having flagstone floors and superior masonry walls, but I'm not sure if that's the case (it's a bandit lord's hideout, after all, and not a dwarven king's court). On the other hand, wasn't Haunted Halls built by paid dwarven hands?

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2012 :  02:15:09  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,

I have a few questions about drinks of the Realms. In Elminster the Making of a Mage, there is a reference to Blue lethe, described as a "cool, sweet nectar from certain tombs in Netheril". Is there anything else you could tell us about this drink or its recipe? I always liked odd forms of treasure to discover and this seems like it would be one of them. I'd also be game for any new underdark drinks or foods you could share as most the ones we have are surface ones. For instance, do mindflayers have some sort of brain juice they drink? I could almost see an illithid brewery where they perform a spinal tap on thralls for its base ingredient. Kind of gross, but figured I'd ask. Thank you. :)

Thank you
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2012 :  06:34:25  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
A perhaps (well, almost certainly, actually) slightly silly question: When you're a centuries-old mage with a decidedly younger, but still a few centuries old, girlfriend with hobbies like Red Wizard-frying, plane-hopping, and running a small kingdom, at what interval do you celebrate your anniversaries, what do you give her, and where do you go to do it?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2012 :  09:50:35  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Erendriel Durothil

Hi THO.

Has Ed ever had any deities of death, undeath, and/or necromancy that weren't "evil". Similar to that of Wee Jas?

Erendriel,

I think I can help you with that one. Besides Kelemvor, there was Jergal, from Netheril. Before he gave up this role and became the scribe of the following deities od death, he was the powerful deity of "Death, the dead, order in death, funerals and tombs, undeath, the undead, wasting, old age, exhaustion, tyranny, [and] dusk". In 2e 1370 DR he was a LN demipower who served Kelemvor, but have previously served Cyric, and Myrkul before that. Where can you find additional information about this deity? For detailed info, check the Netheril: Empire of Magic boxed set and the Powers and Pantheons book of the 'Faiths & Avatars' series.

Probably there is more info about him, and maybe about other death deities, from Ed. Is your question restrict to human powers? I think 2e Draconomicon has something about a non-evil draconic deity of death.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 13 Feb 2012 14:19:52
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2012 :  15:57:03  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. I bring you the words of Ed, in response to the posts and queries of various scribes:

to xaeyruudh, re. this: "hiya Ed! i sincerely hope that your enjoyment of all you're working on is equal to our fidgety anticipation of it.
question: which dracolich was it that slew Aencar the Mantled King? i'm not seeing any telling references to Aencar in the deeds of dracoliches."
Ed replies:
It certainly is. I'm revelling in all this Realmslore work. :}
I can't tell you about Aencar's death right now, due to an existing NDA, but that's something you should learn the answer to before the close of 2012, I hope.

Re. this, from Dennis: "If you refer to god of death and undeath (a god having both portfolios), I doubt if there's any. The two aspects of "existence" are contradictory."
Ed replies:
They would SEEM so, but obviously aren't, because D&D has had death deities who create and command undead before it had separate deities of death and undeath. So has the Realms. Here's a case of observed evidence trashes theory. I'm the guy who introduced the concept of detailed portfolios for deities to the game, and death gods who gleefully used hosts of undead were around in D&D before I did it.

Re. this, from Asgetrion: "Which type of floor is the most common in the Halls: flagstone (made of fitted stones), hewn (uneven/rough) or polished/smooth? Likewise with walls: hewn (rough), smooth or masonry? In my games I've described most rooms having flagstone floors and superior masonry walls, but I'm not sure if that's the case (it's a bandit lord's hideout, after all, and not a dwarven king's court). On the other hand, wasn't Haunted Halls built by paid dwarven hands?"
Ed replies: The Halls were built by hired dwarves, with some human and gnome assistance (mainly for sculpting - - gnomes - - and rubble-hauling-away - - humans). yes. The upper (kobold-occupied, in the 1350s DR) level, the privy rift, and the lower (unpublished level) are smooth-hewn from solid rock. The "main" level (where PCs enter, etc.) and the cubbies depending down off it in that long, angled pillared hall - - but not the small privy near the entrance, which is another crack in the solid rock - - are smooth-fitted flagstone floor and smooth-fitted stone block walls. The flagstones are smoothed and leveled, and the walls are of all sizes of dressed stone blocks, dry-fitted and flanged to hold each other, looking a lot more like a "dry stone" wall than rows of concrete blocks. This was done because there's a twelve-foot-thick layer of very soft "cheese rock" (as halflings and dwarves call it in the cliff that made hollowing out the Halls at that particular location very easy - - but also meant trusting the stone left behind not to collapse was a foolish idea, hence the fitted stone blocks (and buttresses and columns, especially witin the walls on either side of wide doorways).

To Eilserus, re. this: "In Elminster the Making of a Mage, there is a reference to Blue lethe, described as a "cool, sweet nectar from certain tombs in Netheril". Is there anything else you could tell us about this drink or its recipe? I always liked odd forms of treasure to discover and this seems like it would be one of them. I'd also be game for any new underdark drinks or foods you could share as most the ones we have are surface ones. For instance, do mindflayers have some sort of brain juice they drink? I could almost see an illithid brewery where they perform a spinal tap on thralls for its base ingredient. Kind of gross, but figured I'd ask. Thank you. :)"
Ed replies:

More about underdark drinks and foods will have to wait until I can grab some more time from all the backed-up lore projects on my platter at the moment (comic issue, Eye columns, and more I can't talk about yet), but "Blue lethe" is the dwarf name for this Netherese drink, because it's blue, and because it causes short-term memory blackouts in dwarves who overindulge in it, hence the reference to Lethe, the River of Forgetfulness in the Planes). The secret of making blue lethe is now forgotten, except for a few elves of "the old" Myth Drannor who experimented until they managed to duplicate it; the Netherese who knew of its making all perished in the crash of their flying cities.
It's a vivid blue, that seems to "glow" in the presence of light it can refract, is opaque rather than translucent, is made from the juices of at least three berries, one of them fermented, and mixed with certain forest plant saps and then magically treated; it is sweet but not cloying, is richly nourishing (can be a food substitute for a tenday or more without ill effects or loss of energies), and most who taste it rave about it and will pay anything for it (so adventurers can resell it to nobles and other wealthy sorts for LOTS of coin). It keeps seemingly forever (thousands of years, anyway :} ), and these days is almost always found as "burial adornments"/offerings in Netherese tombs (the elves who can still make it keep this VERY secret, and don't openly hawk their wares anywhere, always passing them off, through layers of intermediaries, as "tomb-found, genuine" blue lethe.

To Kajehase, re. this: "When you're a centuries-old mage with a decidedly younger, but still a few centuries old, girlfriend with hobbies like Red Wizard-frying, plane-hopping, and running a small kingdom, at what interval do you celebrate your anniversaries, what do you give her, and where do you go to do it?"
Ed replies:

It depends. On what important pressing business is afoot at the time, and what your faculties/resources are (i.e. Do you have control over your magic, and enough to spare? How sane are you?).
But if you have all the time and magic you desire, then what you do is: when you're both in the mood for it and figure you've earned the respite, you return to the site of something splendid in your common past (where a once-wonderful city stood, or a place you made spectacular love centuries ago during a raging lightning storm or some such, or the first time you shapechanged and made love to a dragon, or . . .) and you enjoy a long, leisurely meal and rest, dozing side by side as the stars come out and talking, laying aside your cares for long enough to dream aloud and chatter about little things that seemingly matter not at all . . . because when you seldom have time to think and talk about little things because you're too busy saving the world/meddling in everything, those "little things" become VERY important to you.

So saith Ed. And having dispensed more splendid Realmslore, his work here is temporarily done, and he'll grandly swirl his cape and leap off the windowsill, down, down to the waiting work below.
To return soon with more, of course.
love to all,
THO
Edit: spelling. Mine.

Edited by - The Hooded One on 13 Feb 2012 15:57:53
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2012 :  16:15:22  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Mange tack

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2012 :  19:18:31  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Hello THO and Ed,

I remember a scene in the novel Cormyr (or was it Beyond the High Road?) where Vangerdahast pointedly reminds the heads of various priesthoods that in times of need, those priesthoods are required to render aid to the Crown by prior agreement.

Without damaging our chances for a future Cormyr sourcebook, can you describe what other specific-to-Cormyr rules or traditions have grown up around the priesthood and clergy of Tyr with regard to its providing of services or aid to the Crown or to the Nobility?

Are there any positions within the Royal Court of Cormyr that are traditionally held or always staffed by members of the Church of Tyr? If yes, would you be able to give a few court titles for these positions?

Is the Church of Tyr supposed to provide priestly retainers to the Obarskyr family or the families Silver at all times? Or on demand of service?

Do certain functions or ceremonies at the Royal Court (burials, elevation of nobility, on the occasion a high-ranking Purple Dragon officer is promoted, etc…) require the presence of members of the Tyrran faith?

My aim in these questions is to figure out who the Paladin of Tyr PC in my campaign might know at the Royal Court in Suzail. I want the PCs to have a few islands of calm in the otherwise stormy sea of Royal Court politics during the Council of Nobles chaired by the Steel Regent.

Also, I’m looking to see how I might insert the PCs into the activity in the Royal Court should the PC Paladin be called on to fill in for some vital service required of the faithful of Tyr by the Crown.

Thank you in advance, as always.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  00:30:09  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

I can't tell you about Aencar's death right now, due to an existing NDA, but that's something you should learn the answer to before the close of 2012, I hope.

Thankye!
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  00:56:24  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
Ah, once again my humble thanks, Ed!

Go to Top of Page

Lady Shadowflame
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  01:51:44  Show Profile Send Lady Shadowflame a Private Message
I'll second the request for Underdark foods and drinks, once Ed finds the time. :)

For now, though, I'll just in passing wish all other scribes here the blessings of Hanali Celanil, Sune and Sharess, given the date.

And maybe raise a query on the topic, to keep this post suited to the thread.
What sort of courting and romantic tokens do elves particularly like to exchange?
(Also, elf men. Taking their cue from Tolkien's Elves and doing the cooking, or not?)

Save a lizard... Ride a drow.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  02:21:02  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Thanks for the reply about Blue lethe Ed, I appreciate it. Looking forward to when you can detail out some Underdark foods and drinks. Maybe a Volo's guide to the Lands Under Shadow? :) He was always good for food, drinks, and lore once Elminster cleaned up his manuscripts. In fact, maybe us scribes at the Keep here should start an online petition to bring Volo's Guides back. The return of Volo would make me happier than a drunken dwarf at a goblin skull splitting convention!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  03:49:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Another thread had me thinking about Centaurs, and FR Centaur lore is hard to come by. I recall you had some good bits in the Athalanter article (in the timeline) regarding Centaur battles against humans.

Question #1 Could you possibly elaborate on any of that? What were some of the major 'groups' (tribes?) of Centaurs? Did they have any kingdoms? Where can the largest groups be found currently in the Realms (realizing, of course, that 'currently' has become a matter of perspective)?

Oh - and if this seems like this is a very BIG question, feel free to hit me with the NDA order and then write tons of Centaur lore somewhere soon.

{so yeah... that was a very sneaky request couched in a question}

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

It keeps seemingly forever (thousands of years, anyway :} ), and these days is almost always found as "burial adornments"/offerings in Netherese tombs (the elves who can still make it keep this VERY secret, and don't openly hawk their wares anywhere, always passing them off, through layers of intermediaries, as "tomb-found, genuine" blue lethe.
Elven Conmen?

You never cease to amaze me, Ed. And on that note -

Question #2 In the RW we have names like 'Snake-oil salesmen', or 'Scammers' - what sort of terms would be used in the Realms? Are their Elven and Dwarven terms for this as well? other races?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Feb 2012 03:49:58
Go to Top of Page

Rils
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  16:52:13  Show Profile Send Rils a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Thanks for the reply about Blue lethe Ed, I appreciate it. Looking forward to when you can detail out some Underdark foods and drinks. Maybe a Volo's guide to the Lands Under Shadow? :) He was always good for food, drinks, and lore once Elminster cleaned up his manuscripts. In fact, maybe us scribes at the Keep here should start an online petition to bring Volo's Guides back. The return of Volo would make me happier than a drunken dwarf at a goblin skull splitting convention!

+3! Volo's Guides and the (somewhat) related El's Ecologies are my favorite FR source books ever, I'd love to see more of that (and maybe branching out from the Heartlands a bit).

A perhaps odd-ball question of my own for dear Mr. Greenwood: Are there any clans/families of dwarfs which are renowned for their gem-cutting or jewelry-making skills, and are there major centers of that craft? And specifically, does the area of The Vast/Vesperin have anything of note in that regard? Where would a young dwarf from King's Reach "travel abroad" to learn the secrets from master dwarf gem artisans?

Dugmaren Brightmantle is my homey.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000