Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Bonny
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5691 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2005 :  23:23:16  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This being a collective scroll of any questions the Scribes and visitors of Candlekeep wish to put to a new game designer of the Realms, namely - Ed Bonny. Ed has his first Forgotten Realms product released in 2005, namely the eagerly awaited Lost Empires of Faerun.

Present your questions herein and check back to see what news may also come forth from the quill of this Realms master.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  03:05:54  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So Ed you got any more work lined up for WotC or do they wait until the sales figures before they make any moves

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

edbonny
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  03:45:34  Show Profile  Visit edbonny's Homepage Send edbonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hymn

So Ed you got any more work lined up for WotC or do they wait until the sales figures before they make any moves

No, I do not. I don't know if Wizards uses prior sales figures before re-enlisting freelancers for a job. I know that TPTB at Wizards liked my ideas/writing for the MM2 enough to consider me for LEOF.

I am finishing up a LEOF-inspired article for Faerunian drow with roots dating back to the days when the drow first went underground. It could not be included with LOEF because Underdark empires were not covered in this book.

- Ed
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  03:57:39  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edbonny

quote:
Originally posted by Hymn

No, I do not. I don't know if Wizards uses prior sales figures before re-enlisting freelancers for a job. I know that TPTB at Wizards liked my ideas/writing for the MM2 enough to consider me for LEOF.

I am finishing up a LEOF-inspired article for Faerunian drow with roots dating back to the days when the drow first went underground. It could not be included with LOEF because Underdark empires were not covered in this book.

- Ed

Nice, can't wait to see it.
Keep up the great work, and hope to see more from you.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  04:02:49  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That does indeed sound great Ed. Are we talking about Telantiwar, the drow city that was situated where the Great Rift is now or something new and wonderful?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  04:15:17  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
- Ed

Very good news, a web enchancement, right?
Go to Top of Page

edbonny

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  04:21:53  Show Profile  Visit edbonny's Homepage Send edbonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

That does indeed sound great Ed. Are we talking about Telantiwar, the drow city that was situated where the Great Rift is now or something new and wonderful?

-- George Krashos

It does indeed go back to the early days of Telantiwar and a long forgotten evil (some would say one of Lolth's earliest missteps). This is for Dragon magazine.

- Ed
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  06:12:30  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good stuff! And as an aside, to all the fine fellows at Candlekeep, I hope Ed gets a few more gigs with the FR line from WotC ASAP. I was most impressed by his hard work, excellent research, due diligence to "what had gone before" and his own ideas in the lead up to "Lost Empires". Oh and he wasn't above listening to other people's thoughts and suggestions on his own work which was great to see and be a part of.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  08:09:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're not the only one George...

It's almost like the good 'ol days of consistent Realmslore are BACK again... .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  11:18:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
High praise from Krash... I'm impressed. I will then echo his sentiments, and hope this gentleman gets more work from WotC!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2391 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  14:09:42  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heartfelt welcome, Ed. I'm looking forward to reading your new release!

e

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 27 Jan 2005 14:16:19
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  16:14:40  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

Heartfelt welcome, Ed. I'm looking forward to reading your new release!

e

What she said goes double for me.

SES
An old FR historian/"Tale Untangler" from way back

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

edbonny

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  16:59:57  Show Profile  Visit edbonny's Homepage Send edbonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello again all and thank you once again for all the warm welcomes and very kind words. You are all so wonderful here that I am thinking I should never leave this place.

Before LEOF hits the shelves, I'll use this thread to post details of my long, long, long love affair with the Realms (going back to the late 80s), the concepts behind the writing/ideas of LEOF (including the obsession for "consistent Realmslore"), the incredible guidance given by Rich Baker, Eric and George, and whatever else seems full of Realmsian goodness for these boards.

I am always interested in learning from Realms fans what was the one thing that immediately hooked them on the Realms? When did you first realize that you were part of something different, something amazing, something wonderful?

For me, it was back in the 1980s when I was reading the Time of Troubles trilogy (novels, not the modules) and just the idea of gods being thrown out from the heavens and forced to take mortal form made me sit up and take notice that something wild and new and unprecedented had just changed the way I thought about DnD forever.

- Ed
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  17:09:49  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I am always interested in learning from Realms fans what was the one thing that immediately hooked them on the Realms? When did you first realize that you were part of something different, something amazing, something wonderful?
- Ed

The place: Heidelberg, Germany

The group: Five wonderful gamers that included a military policeman, a computer programmer, a military intelligence analyst who was on his second military occupational specialty having gone nearly deaf from working with artillery, a civilian who worked for the military and took great delight in roleplaying the quirky characters others would fine weak or borin, and a counterintelligence agent who was so diabolical it was only time before he became the steady DM. When you combined this group with

The Ruins of Undermountain boxed set.

Well, this fan was hooked and has been ever since.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  18:18:23  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Ed, welcome to Candlekeep.

I believe there are two other designers credited for Lost Empires, Travis Stout and another?

What areas of the product did you work on yourself?

Are there any areas\old empires which you included in the product which were'nt instructed to initially by WotC?

Was anything developed but not included in the product (later to appear as a web enhancement maybe?)

Thanks for your time. VERY VERY much looking forward to this product ::drool::

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  19:59:58  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

I believe there are two other designers credited for Lost Empires, Travis Stout and another?

Ed Bonny listed the areas he worked on at the bottom of page 3 in this thread
Go to Top of Page

edbonny

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  20:20:23  Show Profile  Visit edbonny's Homepage Send edbonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

Are there any areas\old empires which you included in the product which were'nt instructed to initially by WotC?

Was anything developed but not included in the product (later to appear as a web enhancement maybe?)

Thanks for your time. VERY VERY much looking forward to this product ::drool::

Hi Lord Rad,

Rich Baker brought together the two halves of LEOF that Travis and I submitted. From the released table of contents, it appears he also added a few feats and the dead gods section. He also updated the monsters that appeared in Monsters of Faerun.

For ease of reference, I am reposting here what parts of LEOF I wrote up:

Introduction 4
The Ruin-Based Campaign 4

Chapter 1: Ancient Secrets 6

Ancient Feats 6
Arcane Manipulation 6
Arcane Transfiguration 6
Familiar Concentration 8
Godsight 8
Greenbound Summoning 8
Item Reprieve 8
Spell Reprieve 9
Wounding Spell 9

Prestige Classes 10
Glorious Servitor 13
Magelord 17
Sunmaster 25

Ancient Spells 29
This area was shared by Travis, Rich & me. As soon as the book comes out I will list the spells I wrote.
Assassin Spell 29
Bard Spell 29
Cleric Spells 29
Druid Spells 29
Paladin Spell 29
Sorcerer/Wizard Spells 29
Spell Descriptions 30

Chapter 2: Dreams of the Past 36
The Ruins of the Past 36
Cities into Dungeons 36
Interesting Sites 38
Ancient Deities 41
Auppenser 41
Epic Spell 43
Epic Spell Seeds 44

Chapter 4: God-Kings of the East 60
History 60
Timeline 60
Keepers of the Past 63
Songs and Stories 63
Important Sites 64
Imaskar 64
Mulhorand 66
Narfell 67
Raumathar 68
Unther 69
Legacies of the
Old Empires 70
Adventure Seeds 70
Buried Secrets 70
Heirs to the Empire 70
Adventure Site:
Sonjar’s Tower 72
Background 72
The Earth Node 72
Tower Features 73
Keyed Areas 73

Chapter 5: Realms of the High Forest 83
History 83
Timeline 84
Keepers of the Past 85
Songs and Stories 85
Important Sites 86
Ammarindar 86
Delzoun 87
Eaerlann 89
Sharrven 91
Siluvanede 92
Legacies of the
High Forest 92
Adventure Seeds 92
Heirs of the High Forest 94

Chapter 7: The Imperial South 113
History 113
Timeline 113
Keepers of the Past 116
Songs and Stories 117
Important Sites 117
Coramshan 117
High Shanatar 118
Memnonnar 119
Jhaamdath 120
Shoon Imperium 121
Tethir 122
Legacies of the Past 123
Adventure Seeds 123
Buried Secrets 123
Heirs to the Empire 124

Chapter 9: The Old North 136
History 136
Timeline 136
Keepers of the Past 142
Songs and Stories 142
Important Sites 142
Ardeep 142
Gauntlgrym 143
Old Illusk 144
Phalorm 144
Legacies of the
Old North 146
Adventure Site:
Keep on the Frontier 146
Background 146
Keep Features 146
Keyed Areas 146
Concluding the Adventure 150

Chapter 10: Artifacts of the Past 151
This area was shared by Travis, Rich & med. As soon as the book comes out, I will list the items I wrote.
Magic Item Descriptions 151
Weapons 151
Rings 152
Scepters 153
Staffs 153
Wondrous Items 154
Artifacts 156
Minor Artifacts 156
Major Artifacts 157

Chapter 11: Monsters of the Ancient Lands 160
Greenbound Creature 173
Sample Greenbound Creature 174
Creating a Greenbound Creature 174

Edited by - edbonny on 27 Jan 2005 22:28:51
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  21:56:51  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
[

We just started Ruins of Adventure and I decided to buy Spellfire which was later followed by Azure Bonds. I have been hooked ever since, even though the undead at the Graveyard ate my character.

Bakra

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  22:40:29  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me it was Ed's "Pages From the Mages" and "Ecology of the ..." articles from DRAGON #82-ish onward to Dragon #100. The depth of detail and implied promise of further lore and layer upon layer of information appealed to the analyst in me - as I started trying to connect the dots on scattered bits of realmslore. Funnily enough, some 15 or so years later, I'm still trying to weave it all together! When DRAGON provided a preview mini-map just prior to the release of the Ol' Grey Box, there was no going back - although I couldn't find Waterdeep on it, no matter how hard I looked!

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Seismo
Acolyte

New Zealand
28 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  00:57:54  Show Profile  Visit Seismo's Homepage Send Seismo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What lead me into the Realms?

SSL's "Gold Box" computer games (I think Hillsfar was the first one I saw), and a novel that was based on the same setting - Azure Bonds.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  01:15:28  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmm, I do not believe I am hooked on the Realms, though do find them interesting. The frist thing that comes to mind that was Realms related was perhaps _Elves of Evermeet, Official Game Assessry_ 9430 which did offer some amazing things.

Being a part of something different, nay I did not feel that then or now, nor did I feel special when I first became involved with D&D Basic. Yes it is interesting and I do enjoy play and discussion of the game and setting, which could make me a part of a select group.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  01:17:25  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seismo

SSL's "Gold Box" computer games (I think Hillsfar was the first one I saw), and a novel that was based on the same setting - Azure Bonds.

Ditto for me on my old commodore 64 and then the novels that tied in with them. :) And now I'm obsessed with FR. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

monch9
Seeker

Poland
67 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  01:40:45  Show Profile  Visit monch9's Homepage Send monch9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Three words :
The Crystal Shard

After that, I gobbled up anything that had Forgotten Realms in it.

Monch
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  02:29:41  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

quote:

Ditto for me on my old commodore 64 and then the novels that tied in with them. :) And now I'm obsessed with FR. :)

Ah those games where nice, but nothing beats Rambo First Blood Part II. The most amazing thing is that everything still works usually fires ut up during the summers when most of my pals from old are home. They don't build computers like that nowdays.

Oh yes and for me it was all my best friend's older brothers fault who ran a AD&D group. Thank fully in swedish otherwise I wouldn't had understood much of the technical terms since I was only 12 at the time.

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  05:53:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

By Labelas... I remember those . I also recall that I had a very hard time loading them up on my old beaten up C64. When I converted to the tape drive... that didn't improve the situation much.

However, when the games and computer were in synergy and worked their magic... they were truly my favorite computer games of the time....

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  11:25:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How did I get into the Realms? Well, it started with a friend, who was reading the Dragginglance comics. Those looked interesting, so I read his. That made me want to follow that title myself, so I did. When the FR comic was launched, I read that one, too.

The DL comic lead me to those novels -- I wanted to read more of those stories! I read the first five trilogies they released, but then I was getting a little bored with the lack of activity in the setting.

Then I stumbled across either Spellfire or Shadowdale (I can't recall which). That got me into the Realms, but it was the Forgotten Realms Adventures hardcover that truly got me hooked -- there was so much lore, and so much potential in there, and I could see that stuff was happening in that setting.

And the rest, as they say, is history.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5691 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  12:09:52  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well met

This particular scroll may be of interest to ye, Ed. I encourage such experiences to be listed therein.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

edbonny

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  13:52:25  Show Profile  Visit edbonny's Homepage Send edbonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wow - almost forgot about those! I played my first Realms SSI gold box game on an old Tandy 1000 back in '89. I loved all the ones they came out with.

- Ed
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  00:53:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:

Well met

This particular scroll may be of interest to ye, Ed. I encourage such experiences to be listed therein.

Ah, I knew I'd answered that question recently!

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2005 :  06:37:26  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ARRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!

From the excerpt. Please tell me that this doesn't say this in the sourcebook:

"But the moon elf wizard known as the Srinshee, now the de facto regent of Cormanthyr, held firm to Aravae's wishes, primarily because preparing the high magic necessary for the succession ceremony would take at least the remaining year and a half of the Mourning Days."

The Srinshee is NOT A MOON ELF! At least according to Cormanthyr!

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2005 :  11:16:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

ARRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!

From the excerpt. Please tell me that this doesn't say this in the sourcebook:

"But the moon elf wizard known as the Srinshee, now the de facto regent of Cormanthyr, held firm to Aravae's wishes, primarily because preparing the high magic necessary for the succession ceremony would take at least the remaining year and a half of the Mourning Days."

The Srinshee is NOT A MOON ELF! At least according to Cormanthyr!

Whoa, that's a huge retcon if it's true...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000