Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2012 :  04:41:11  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

And indeed, we've seen Mystra's Chosen use Silver Flames and their divine powers to empower Mystra. [beige]But there are very few Chosen who were Chosen by Midnight.

I'll put a query on the pile, if it isn't barred for NDA reasons - can Ed give us any names and histories (including current operations and plans, if possible) of not-previously-published Chosen in Realmslore who were made into Chosen specifically by the Midnight incarnation of Mystra? Did she go through a long period of observation and preparation in order to ensure that these Chosen had a good chance of surviving and not being "burned out" by the attempt to imbue them with her essence? Does she go about the imbuement process itself any differently to her predecessor?

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I could be incorrect, but I vaguely recall they wear a ring bearing the insignia of their organization. It was mentioned in Phil Athans's Baldur's Gate 1, I guess.

I recall that in the game itself (I prefer the game's version of events to the book, even if it might not accurately reflect events), it basically consisted of the player-character going to the Cowled Wizard representative in the government building, paying a bribe-I-mean-registration-fee to the Wizard found there, and then going on about their business with the Cowled Wizards now knowing to not come after the player (or any mages in the party, if the character wasn't a spellcaster).

Of course, I never bothered paying. I preferred to just butcher the wizards in spell-duels when they showed up to chastise me. If it's based on some means of identifying the magical "signature" of a particular wizard's spells, then I'd also wonder what would happen if they tried to show up and chastise Elminster, Szass or similarly powerful archmages.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2012 :  10:01:08  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Tantam all

After rereading 'After the Dragon' from Dragon Annual 5 I find myself intrigued by one of the titles bestowed upon Dragon Prince Azoun V:

"Stagmaster of the Realm"

Is this title specific to Azoun V or one that is always held by the ruling monarch? Also what is the basis of using Stagmaster? when was it first used, where did it come from and why etc?

Am wondering why Stagmaster is used rather than Wolfmaster (or something similar) given that Cormyr was once the Lythlorn or Wolf Woods?

Many thanks

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2012 :  11:30:04  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Damian, I'm no Ed, nor am I an expert on Cormyr, but I remember asking Ed a question on something related. The Stag is one of the symbols of Cormyr, and may have been the symbol of one of the kingdoms absorbed into Cormyr. That might be part of it.

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2012 :  12:27:29  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
Wasn't Stagmaster not also a title of the King of Athalantar?

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2012 :  12:43:09  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

Damian, I'm no Ed, nor am I an expert on Cormyr, but I remember asking Ed a question on something related. The Stag is one of the symbols of Cormyr, and may have been the symbol of one of the kingdoms absorbed into Cormyr. That might be part of it.

Thanks Menelvagor for your quick response. I have seen lots of references on the interweb to the Dragon, Stag and Unicorn being symbols of Cormyr, but no reference to where this info comes from and I couldn't find an appropriate Ed response here (though we all know how unhelpful the search gremlins are here, we must get The Sage to feed them more often! )

Am looking forward to Ed and/or THO's response to Stag and other animal symbology for Cormyr.

Kind regards

Damian

Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2012 :  15:34:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
My Interpretation:
The 'wolves' represent the nobles, who are constantly trying to take down the stag. The stag represents true nobility, that survives depsite everything set against it. It is majestic, wearing its antlers like a crown of authority. (and thanks to THO's quick response, I see the explanation is a bit less 'poetic')

I know Ed is busy, but in a couple of other threads I've been developing the concept of a 'great Work' - something all Dwarves can do in their lifetimes (Don't know if you follow these threads - but the premise is that every dwarf has the capability to create one of these artifact-class items, which don't necessarily have to be magical, just unique and priceless). Anyhow, I have come up with the concept of the 'Quint-Essence' (Quintessence, or "Five Perfected"), but that word is the common (human) translation.

What would be the Dwarven word for such a concept? To distill perfection from the four elements, to create a magical 'Fifth element' (and BTW, my '5th element' concept is also connected to the Weave, or at least, my interpretation of it).

quote:
Originally posted by gomez

Wasn't Stagmaster not also a title of the King of Athalantar

I think you are thinking of the Kingdom of the Stag, which wasn't the same as Athalanter. I often get those two confused myself (both were located in the southern lands of the Swordcoast North).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Feb 2012 16:30:57
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2012 :  16:02:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. From my notes, I can answer Damian's recent query: "After rereading 'After the Dragon' from Dragon Annual 5 I find myself intrigued by one of the titles bestowed upon Dragon Prince Azoun V: "Stagmaster of the Realm"
Is this title specific to Azoun V or one that is always held by the ruling monarch? Also what is the basis of using Stagmaster? when was it first used, where did it come from and why etc?
Am wondering why Stagmaster is used rather than Wolfmaster (or something similar) given that Cormyr was once the Lythlorn or Wolf Woods?"

Okay. Ed explained this to some TSR designers once, at a con where I was sitting in, and I recorded his words and then took notes from the recording (so what follows is almost verbatim). Here we go . . .

In the early days of Cormyr, the King's Forest was a royal hunting preserve, to which the King granted nobles (and in rare instances, visiting envoys and Cormyrean commoners) access to "hunt with him" (and later, to hunt with other members of the royal family). The King's foresters (staff) hunted the vermin, such as stirges, foxes, wolves, etc. Adventurers and some intrepid royals (think Bhereu and Thomdor, in Azoun IV's time) hunted, with formal permission, owlbears and other "monsters" of the forest. Commoners weren't allowed to hunt in the forest, but from time to time would be given low-level local permission (as in: king's lords, forester commanders) to "take deer" (usually when the deer population was exploding, to prevent an inevitable "starvation crash").
Yet only royalty and nobility could hunt wild boar and stags (the "cream" quarry).
Over time, various noble families were given permission to build their own hunting lodges in the King's Forest (usually in return for having supported or mightily pleasing the royal family in some way). So inevitably, they took to occasionally hunting without royal presence or express permission.
Also over many passing decades and centuries, commoners hunting deer along the verges became more frequent and less "special" and requiring special permission. The waystop inns and forester's hamlets within the forest grew over time, becoming villages with more folk in them who sought food and water in the nearby forests. Many village youths hunted "tree cats" (the local equivalent of squirrels), and rabbits.
Over time, public attitude shifted from "the forest and everything in it belongs to the King" to "the forest and everything in it belongs to Cormyr, and that's us." So from being an exclusive royal hunting preserve, the King's Forest by the start of the 1360s DR is "a dangerous place in deep, but a resource for all along the verges, just keep out of the way of the hunting parties because they get proper blazing if you interfere with their hunts."
Inevitably, some of the wealthiest social-climbing "wannabe noble" merchants took to hunting (hiring their own huntsmen, assembling their own hunting parties with all the gear, etc.) - - and going after boars and stags, not just deer, to "show that they were as good as a noble" and practically WERE nobles.
So by the time of Azoun IV's death, Vangey was itching to find some way to control this, and hit upon the notion that the reigning monarch would formally be "the Stagmaster of the Realms," reasserting royal control over who could hunt stags. In effect, formally designating the monarch as the "chief forester" of all Cormyr, whose permission you need to get to hunt stags.
There. From the mouth of Ed, from some years ago.
love,
THO

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2012 :  16:27:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And hello again, fellow scribes!
I bring the latest words of Ed (who just finished the first draft of the script for the third issue of the Realms comic that will debut from IDW in April), this time in response to this from Cassie5squared (to which Ed and I both heartily welcome): "Hi there, I am a very new person to these boards!
I'm not sure if this is the right place to be asking, but I was curious as to the organisation of churches in the realms, in particular how someone enters the service of a particular god.
The reason I ask is that I'm working on creating backstory for a character at the moment who's a Tyrran cleric from Waterdeep. He's known he wanted to serve Tyr since he was pretty young - always seemed to be the kid trying to make the others play fair, that sort of thing. My issue is that I can't find any information on how old he would have to be to even get accepted as a novice in the temple, or how he'd go about requesting acceptance.
Any information on the recruitment and application procedures of the Tyrran faith (and maybe others if that's not too much trouble) would be absolutely wonderful.
Thanking you!"
Ed replies:

Hi, Cassie. A lot of specific recruitment lore is NDA right now thanks to a project I'm still working on that I can't talk about, but in general, I can answer you as follows . . .
Everyone in the Realms "believes in" and knows the portfolio and basic tenets of all the gods, so from "common folk" to kings, individuals may not know details of the faith or internal schisms and debates, but they "get" who every god is and what they're about. Many large religious communities (monasteries, abbeys, important temples) receive a steady stream of "foundlings" (babies and children left at the temple by parents who can't support them or are afraid they'll be slain (thanks to feuds, war, inheritance battles within families, etc.), or who are directed to temples when they become orphaned (or in some cases, are brought to the temple by local lawkeepers, who expect the temple to then care for them). As every monastery/abbey/temple has lots of work to do (farming and cooking, sanitation, cleaning and building repair, etc.), many children grow up as hard-working "lay worshippers" and temple staff, and may be inducted into the priesthood if they show interest AND THE GOD DOES, TOO.
This last bit is also the "way in" to the clergy for people who haven't grown up working at a temple, but just show up on its doorstep one day "feeling a calling" (real or feigned).
The deity shows interest by visions sent to priests, or visions that hover above the altar for all to see, during prayers, that depict that young lay worshipper or this lad who's just shown up at the door asking to be a priest, as a robed and vested priest of the faith, doing something. In other words, the deity signals that they want a particular person or persons accepted into their clergy (and sometimes shows a role or deed they are "destined" to do, too).
The existing clergy wouldn't dream of denying the god's wishes, so . . .
That gets a character into the ranks of the novices/postulants, but of course they will likely be trained, tested, sent on tasks, etc. like any other underpriest of the faith.
There is no age or gender or race requirement for the clergy of most deities, no application form or set of skills (priests tend to wind up well educated, but can start as illiterate and ignorant of the world beyond their town or village) . . . it all comes down to divine approval.
For instance, in one of my library Realms campaigns, the Company of the Ardrake happened upon a village that had been raided by orcs. It was largely deserted (human inhabitants slain and carried off, presumably to be eaten), but they found two dazed children buried under an outhouse that had been tipped over on top of them. As they were debating what to do about these hungry, half-aware, wounded mites, at nightfall as the darkness grew ever-deeper, a bright rosy glow suddenly kindled around them.
Obviously, a manifestation of Lathander, claiming these two children. So the PC adventurers tended and fed them, kept them warm as they slept in the adventurers' camp that night, and in the morning took them some thirty miles to the nearest shrine of Lathander, and gave them into the keeping of the priests there, mentioning the manifestation. THEN they turned back to find the trail of the raiding orcs, to pursue the adventure they'd been planning.
So there are many "ways in," but they all boil down to the god's wishes, that override any obstacles mortal priests may raise to entry. An abbot may be looking for just human males of a certain age, and want them to be hale and handsome, too - - but if the god wants a passing drow female child be accepted into the abbey, that acceptance will happen (though the abbot may have some strong protests and bewildered questions for the god, the nest time he prays privately).
I'll be happy to discuss this more if you'd like. May the Realms be a happy playground for us all!

So saith Ed, who is, yes, busier than ever just no, but very happily so.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2012 :  16:46:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I hadn't realized the gods were THAT active in the Realms, all the time (I understand Ao mandated this post-ToT, but this level of interaction with their priests goes way beyond what I expected). Full of surprises, still. I also love your continuing of the 'imprecise' lore you are so damn good at. Your way of writing really opens things up, rather then constrains them to one set (rigid) "way of doing things". As a long-time DM, I truly appreciate your 'style'.

And now that I'm done acting like a silly fanboi, I have another question, inspired by your last response:

Do 'the gods' have some sort of inkling of a person's destiny? Do they see multiple paths? Is it clear to them, or are these things hazy (because 'prophesy' isn't precise, and things can change radically)? Is it based solely on their own portfolios (so someone destined to be a 'great warrior' would have their future obscured from non-wargods)?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Feb 2012 00:56:29
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2012 :  17:15:58  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
Okay. Ed explained this to some TSR designers once, at a con where I was sitting in, and I recorded his words and then took notes from the recording (so what follows is almost verbatim). Here we go . . .

In the early days of Cormyr, the King's Forest was a royal hunting preserve

Excellent, thank you good lady for you very informative reply and its good to see the common folk getting one over the high-nobs in Suzail (and without the aid of a Robin-of-the-Hood like figure to 'fight the good fight' for them) and good old Vangy for trying to reassert the rights of the monarch.

Given this reassertion of rights for Azoun V, what penalty might be incurred if a hunter is caught by a Kings forester hunting stag when they have already been told that they can't? And how much would a licence cost to buy the right to hunt a great stag? (several hundred or several thousand gold? or is it how much can we think we can charge? )

Many thanks

Damian

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Cassie5squared
Acolyte

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2012 :  18:14:54  Show Profile Send Cassie5squared a Private Message
Oh, wow! Ed, THO, thank you very much for the quick reply! That is exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

Many, many thanks also to the people who welcomed me in all my noobishness. I think I'm gonna like it here.

"Why do any of us get up in the morning? Why, for the joy and fun the day might bring us, if we're awake to see it! Up, then, and find ye fun!" - Elminster of Shadowdale

"And from the flames
As chance would have it
The Soulforged will come into light~" - Blind Guardian, "The Soulforged"
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2012 :  03:54:34  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Cassie, you're very welcome (I say that, and Ed does, too). Feel free to ask us questions any time (Ed still hasn't answered some of the 2004 questions, but a lot of those delays are due to NDAs, and you can't know precisely what those are until you run into one).

Markustay, Ed feels the need to hastily answer your followup to make sure misconceptions don't start to really fly.
So, re. this: "Do 'the gods' have some sort of inkling of a person's destiny? Do they see multiple paths? Is it clear to them, or are these things hazy (because 'prophesy' isn't precise, and things can change radically)? Is it based solely on their own portfolios (so someone destined to be a 'great warrior' would have their future obscured from non-wargods)?"
Ed replies:

Heh. In the Realms, "destiny" is a fiction. A fiction put forward as fact by many priests and a few gods, but at best, someone is likely to do something because of manipulation of the sort Elminster is constantly busy with: trying to steer politics, matings and bloodlines, and so on to bring about a future happening.
Things MUST be this way.
If things are "predestined," than no one is heroic (because, unwittingly or not, they're just following a script) and there's no point in striving for something or going adventuring, because your own personal efforts mean nothing.
Takes all the fun out of everything, really . . .
So the best the gods can do is become darned good predictors (like "good" weather forecasters) by using their superior-to-mortals knowledge and powers to try to influence things or anticipate things (they may CALL it "foreseeing," but it's closer to betting and wishful thinking than really seeing the future).

So saith Ed. Who isn't done yet! He's been scrambling to catch up on things all day, and has found time to answer Damian, too, re. this: "Given this reassertion of rights for Azoun V, what penalty might be incurred if a hunter is caught by a Kings forester hunting stag when they have already been told that they can't? And how much would a licence cost to buy the right to hunt a great stag? (several hundred or several thousand gold? or is it how much can we think we can charge? )"
Ed replies:
Hoo boy. Trail by War Wizards using mind-magic to ascertain guilt (and who else is involved, etc.) Upon conviction:
First punishment: lifetime ban (by public proclamation) from ever hunting ANYTHING, ANYWHERE in Cormyr, ever again, upon pain of a hand being severed PLUS exile, if caught. Second punishment: Immediate imprisonment in a labor camp near High Horn for five years, time that will be spent breeding, rearing, and doctoring deer (if you take a stag, you must help replace it, tenfold).
You get both punishments for a stag-killing; I do NOT mean that the first time you get the "first punishment," and the second time you get the second.
As for the licence: the sky's the limit. You want them to be so expensive that even a rich merchant or noble will wince. (After all, if someone has pleased or aided the monarch, so that the monarch feels they owe a favor, they'll just invite that "someone" along to hunt with them, for free - - so licences are to earn a LOT of coin for the treasury and to discourage people from seeking those licences.
So, yes, several thousand and up, to whatever you think you can charge. If an adventurer is sitting on loot, demand 12,000 gp per hunter per stag. If they're sitting on a lot of loot, make it 20,000 gp. (Inflationary pressures are very different in the Realms than in our real world; just go for it!)

So saith Ed. Done for tonight, he tells me.
love to all,
THO

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2012 :  06:31:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Ah, okay. Thanks for the clarification.

Your other response made it seem (to me) that the gods 'saw something' in certain individuals. Maybe not destiny... potential?

Can they detect that? Especially if it pertains directly to their portfolio? Maybe it even has to do with certain bloodlines?

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2012 :  08:36:23  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Ed replies:
Hoo boy. Trial by War Wizards using mind-magic to ascertain guilt (and who else is involved, etc.) Upon conviction:
First punishment: lifetime ban (by public proclamation) from ever hunting ANYTHING, ANYWHERE in Cormyr,

Thank you muchly, the players in the ongoing campaign asked the local herald about setting up a hunting lodge east of Thunderstone for folks with money to come and play, so my response of 100,000 golden lions per year for a general hunting licence payable to the Crown in advance seems about right then. I'll just have to make sure the fine print explains what they are allowed to hunt (though I suspect that rules on hunting in the Hullack is a little more relaxed than the Kings Forest given its darker and more dangerous reputation).

Best to all

Damian

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2012 :  09:11:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by gomez

Wasn't Stagmaster not also a title of the King of Athalantar?

Gomez

Close.

King Uthgrael Aumar was, in fact, referred to as "the Stag King."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Lady Shadowflame
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2012 :  09:48:18  Show Profile Send Lady Shadowflame a Private Message
These things on the stag-hunting stir my imagination:

How much are the rules changed/bent for 'extraordinary circumstances'? Like... you're a werewolf, say, and while struggling with the change you managed to force yourself not to attack any humans, but the price was your bringing down a stag? (And, as an addendum, said werewolf is both repentant and very willing to go along with anything that might cure them.)

For that matter, a druid in wolf form? Would the authorities just see the result and chalk it up to natural predation?
Or a druid's animal companion, especially if said companion is a wolf or similar?

...which raises more questions in me. I can't help but wonder how druids manage if they really must enter a city, given their animal buddies are frequently not creatures one would expect to find in a city. How do the rules in civilised places generally deal with that sort of thing? And are there resources druids share to help them? ("Stay here, Fluffy, with my fellow druid buddy, I'll be back in a tenday!" ? Places for creatures to stay?)

...and how does one get a large beast of those sorts safely into, say, Cormyr? I can't imagine the Purple Dragons like dealing with people followed wherever they go by a tiger/panther/leopard/giant frackin' dinosaur...

Save a lizard... Ride a drow.

Edited by - Lady Shadowflame on 18 Feb 2012 09:48:57
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2012 :  22:47:35  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Hello All

Ed over the last couple of years lots projects written by yourself have been announced but a few have not materialised. Are the products on hiatus or has their 'time passed' so to speak? I am particularly interested in Embersea and the Goodman Games line of neutral edition products (I recall 'fantasy castles' being one of them) plus the Mornmist book line?

many thanks

Damian

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2012 :  13:00:55  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rils

In Amn, only "licensed" mages approved by the Cowled Wizards are allowed to practice magic. How does one apply for a license
Er, where that's from? I remember them being a secret organization, as opposed to an open guild.
FRwikia (such as it is) didn't register any updates to that...

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 19 Feb 2012 13:01:19
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2012 :  14:48:52  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Also, any questions regarding The Lands of Intrigue might be better suited for Steven Schend, since he literally 'wrote the book'. And with Ed's incredibly busy schedule, you might get an answer faster as well.

Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2012 :  17:55:29  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
True, but I attended a con in Hamilton, Ontario where I got to talk to players in Ed's old library campaigns, some of them before TSR bought the Realms, and I remember one of them mentioning how deadly the Cowled Wizards were.
So Ed definitely created the Cowled Wizards and used them in play before TSR, and therefore long before Steven got to play with them.
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2012 :  20:26:02  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Sigh. Read these threads, Dennis. Ed has answered your question for all of these before. Some of them several times over.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2012 :  20:30:39  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
And I think the very question is a tad insulting. You're asking the creator of a fantasy world, who's added literally hundreds of spells, magic items, monsters, and terms to the D&D game, who inspired him, as if he swiped it all from someone (or someones) else.
Ed could quite legitimately say "Life" inspired him, or "a falling snowflake" or "passing bird" or something of the sort.
Sigh, indeed.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2012 :  20:47:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

They say brilliant minds do great things, sometimes for the betterment, other times for the destruction, of his world...

What's Larloch's greatest 'contribution' to the world that few (or no mortal) knows?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

thomaslove92
Acolyte

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2012 :  23:22:23  Show Profile Send thomaslove92 a Private Message
Hi folks,

My question is regarding the history of Baldur's Gate, Balduran and the settlements that came before.

Here's what we know so far...

-16 DR Calimport p19 uses Baldur's Gate as a landmark to describe the reach of the Plague of Scholars.
I Appreciate this could simply refer to the area now known as Baldur's Gate
(...All cities across southern Faerûn, as far north as Baldur's Gate; lethargy and heavy sleep...)

227 DR George Krashos and Ed mentioned the settlement of Shavinar, founded by adventurer Orluth Tshahvur near where Baldur's Gate stands today. This settlement was built on a 'nameless cluster of fisherfolk huts'.

277 DR George Krashos and Ed then explained how the settlement fell to trolls.

"long ago" Multiple sources (FR Adventures, Volo's GTT Sword Coast etc) explain how, after gaining great wealth, Balduran invested into his small home port. Thanks to the donation the port soon became a thriving city...Baldur's Gate.

Ultimately I'm asking where does Balduran fit into all this? Did he invest into a settlement that sprouted from Shavinar's ruins? Or do these dates need to be updated?

Thanks you very much in advance
Regards
Thomas

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2012 :  23:46:52  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:

For instance, in one of my library Realms campaigns, the Company of the Ardrake happened upon a village that had been raided by orcs. It was largely deserted (human inhabitants slain and carried off, presumably to be eaten), but they found two dazed children buried under an outhouse that had been tipped over on top of them. As they were debating what to do about these hungry, half-aware, wounded mites, at nightfall as the darkness grew ever-deeper, a bright rosy glow suddenly kindled around them.
Obviously, a manifestation of Lathander, claiming these two children. So the PC adventurers tended and fed them, kept them warm as they slept in the adventurers' camp that night, and in the morning took them some thirty miles to the nearest shrine of Lathander, and gave them into the keeping of the priests there, mentioning the manifestation. THEN they turned back to find the trail of the raiding orcs, to pursue the adventure they'd been planning.
So there are many "ways in," but they all boil down to the god's wishes, that override any obstacles mortal priests may raise to entry. An abbot may be looking for just human males of a certain age, and want them to be hale and handsome, too - - but if the god wants a passing drow female child be accepted into the abbey, that acceptance will happen (though the abbot may have some strong protests and bewildered questions for the god, the nest time he prays privately).
I'll be happy to discuss this more if you'd like. May the Realms be a happy playground for us all!

Heh, this reminds of my current campaing; a couple of years ago I ran a session involving a small warband of orcs (60-70 in total, IIRC, including some priests of Gruumsh and an ettin) attacking a caravan, and the PCs just "happened" to arrive there at the eleventh hour. I won't get into details, but during the battle the PCs saw a woman carrying two small children being slain by the ettin. They naturally rushed to protect them, and it was interesting that after the battle the player of the half-orc priest of Tempus asked me that if he could claim these orphans to serve Tempus. After all, the player characters had saved their lives, and they had been orphaned on the battlefield. I thought this would be totally acceptable, even appropriate, and it also instantly gave me some nice plot hook ideas (it was unfortunate that a year ago the priest was killed in battle before I could use any of my fiendish ideas).

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2012 :  03:28:46  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. I bring the latest words of Ed, in reply to Dennis (and Malcolm):

Heh. Well, as it happens, Dennis, it WAS "life" that inspired me, in general, more specifically traits and mannerisms of family members, other relatives, and neighbours I'd met, plus some fictional characters I'd read about, in creating all of those characters.
Being as I was either six, seven, or eight years old at the time (depending on which character of that list we're talking about), and that was back in 1966, 1967, or 1968 (again, depending on, etc.), I hadn't done a lot of "life" by then, but the characters have deepened since, as I've written about them.
However, regarding your followup question ["What's Larloch's greatest 'contribution' to the world that few (or no mortal) knows?"] the answer has to be firmly: NDA.
In general, the nature of a shared world and my agreements with the copyright holder of the Realms are going to make my commenting on unrevealed things about major characters, or likely near-future happenings in the Realms, vague and brief at the very best. Although I created the Realms, I am no longer in the situation that, say, Roger Zelazny or Anne McCaffrey enjoyed for most of their lives: being the sole and unfettered creator of a world setting they retained complete control of. They could spill beans if they wanted to; legally, I can't. Suffice it to say we haven't seen the last of Larloch.

So saith Ed. Who is happily writing more Eye on the Realms articles, as I post this. Wait until you see something called the Phelhelra (which I know a tiny bit about from long ago, in the home Realms campaign) . . .
love to all,
THO

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2012 :  03:45:39  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all. I bring the latest words of Ed, in reply to Dennis (and Malcolm):

However, regarding your followup question ["What's Larloch's greatest 'contribution' to the world that few (or no mortal) knows?"] the answer has to be firmly: NDA.
Suffice it to say we haven't seen the last of Larloch.

This makes me very, very happy. Ed, you haven't said anything in response to queries regarding the Mad Mage, but would it be safe to assume that what you've said regarding Larloch applies equally to Halaster? If so, I will be a very happy Realms fan indeed...

Edit: Oh, and I would also offer Dennis and Malcolm some speculation as to that question. My guess would be that the Spellplague would have been a heck of a lot worse if not for Larloch (and possibly also Halaster, not to mention Aumvor and Ioulaum), so I would guess that said contribution is something in that vein.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 20 Feb 2012 03:49:36
Go to Top of Page

Rils
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  17:46:52  Show Profile Send Rils a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Er, where that's from? I remember them being a secret organization, as opposed to an open guild.

From 4e FRCG, page 92: "Amn’s rulers have declared arcane magic to be illegal, except in the hands of spellcasters licensed by the High Houses. All others are denied the opportunity to level the magical playing field. [snip] The Cowled Wizards: This cabal of the only 'legal' arcanists in Amn is under the control of House Selemchant. The Cowled Wizards serve as the Meisarch’s spies, troubleshooters, and assassins. Most are little more than mercenaries. [snip] The Emerald Cabal: This secret society of unlawful spellcasters opposes the whole crooked Amnian system. The cabal occasionally arranges 'unfortunate events' for merchant lords who become excessively destructive."

And from the 4e FRPG, page 81: "However, spellcasting adventurers must conceal their talents or face the wrath of the Cowled Wizards, the only “legal” wizards allowed in the region. [snip] (re: possible character motivations) Arcane Freedom: The Cowled Wizards keep a tight grip on arcane activity in Amn, and you’re determined to bring their tyrannical activities to an end. You are a member of the secret Emerald Cabal, and you support its activities to oppose the Cowled Wizards and other injustices..."

So it seems the Cowled Wizards got an upgrade from Underground Movement to Arcane Inquisition. I don't know anything about the FR wiki, so I can't speak to why they would or wouldn't have that updated.

At one point in one of these recent threads (don't remember exactly where, sorry), there was a question about how the Cowled Wizards detected "unlawful" use of magic in Athkatla, and Ed's answer involved a network of wards and tracers that allowed the Wizards to pinpoint the location of the magic-user and what kind of magic they were employing; a patrol would then be sent to investigate (and by "patrol" I mean "thugs", and by "investigate" I mean "dispose of"). So that got me wondering how one gets on the approved list, and what form that license takes. Our group will be heading to Amn shortly, and since we have a couple of arcanists, it's sure to come up. :)

Even though this is a 4e question, I was hoping Ed would still be willing to provide an answer, since the situation was addressed in at least one other scroll. If there's someone better to ask, I'll happily take this elsewhere! Thanks everyone, sorry if I'm being a bother...

Dugmaren Brightmantle is my homey.

Edited by - Rils on 21 Feb 2012 17:48:52
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  19:50:20  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rils

quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

From 4e FRCG, page 92: "Amn’s rulers have declared arcane magic to be illegal, except in the hands of spellcasters licensed by the High Houses. All others are denied the opportunity to level the magical playing field. [snip] The Cowled Wizards: This cabal of the only 'legal' arcanists in Amn is under the control of House Selemchant. The Cowled Wizards serve as the Meisarch’s spies, troubleshooters, and assassins. Most are little more than mercenaries. [snip] The Emerald Cabal: This secret society of unlawful spellcasters opposes the whole crooked Amnian system. The cabal occasionally arranges 'unfortunate events' for merchant lords who become excessively destructive."

And from the 4e FRPG, page 81: "However, spellcasting adventurers must conceal their talents or face the wrath of the Cowled Wizards, the only “legal” wizards allowed in the region. [snip] (re: possible character motivations) Arcane Freedom: The Cowled Wizards keep a tight grip on arcane activity in Amn, and you’re determined to bring their tyrannical activities to an end. You are a member of the secret Emerald Cabal, and you support its activities to oppose the Cowled Wizards and other injustices..."

So it seems the Cowled Wizards got an upgrade from Underground Movement to Arcane Inquisition. I don't know anything about the FR wiki, so I can't speak to why they would or wouldn't have that updated.

At one point in one of these recent threads (don't remember exactly where, sorry), there was a question about how the Cowled Wizards detected "unlawful" use of magic in Athkatla, and Ed's answer involved a network of wards and tracers that allowed the Wizards to pinpoint the location of the magic-user and what kind of magic they were employing; a patrol would then be sent to investigate (and by "patrol" I mean "thugs", and by "investigate" I mean "dispose of"). So that got me wondering how one gets on the approved list, and what form that license takes. Our group will be heading to Amn shortly, and since we have a couple of arcanists, it's sure to come up. :)

Even though this is a 4e question, I was hoping Ed would still be willing to provide an answer, since the situation was addressed in at least one other scroll. If there's someone better to ask, I'll happily take this elsewhere! Thanks everyone, sorry if I'm being a bother...

Hmmm interesting development for the previously more neutral and indeed underground/secretive Cowled Wizards... I wonder if this has to do with Shoon's manipulations while in the guise of the half-elf Argentresses...
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2012 :  07:39:29  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Related to Mumadar's recent post: Is there anything Ed can say about the status of Shoon VII post-Spellplague? Even if it's just "Yes, he's still around"? More would be nice, obviously, but I'll be happy with whatever I can get. Many thanks to you both once again, THO.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000