Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Questions for the Answerer
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2009 :  00:14:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edappel

Good answer Wooly...

Next one:
Where could i find informations about Halaster?

The references for Halaster are fairly well scattered throughout diverse Realmslore sources. If you're looking for just a quick synopsis, I suggest you read through Halaster's entry in the Villains' Lorebook, which is available as a free PDF download at WotC.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2009 :  00:18:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I want more! Much more! Mua-ha-ha-ha! (evil laugh)

If there isn't other books which I could read, anyone has additional information?
Once, I read that if he leaves undermountain, he gets "sane" again... Why?

You really need to read the relevant sources, like both Ruins of Undermountain boxed sets, to understand the "whys" of Halaster.

I would also suggest the three adventure modules set in Undermountain, and written by Steven Schend [located at that URL for free PDF downloads I just posted above]. As well as the following sources:-
quote:
Escape From Undermountain
FR1 Waterdeep And The North
Faiths and Avatars (Ibrandul's corpse reference)
Ruins of Undermountain I
"If You Need Help --- Ask The Drow!" [Dragon #176]
Ruins of Undermountain II
City of Splendors [boxed set]
"I Sing A Song By The Deep-Water Bay" [Dragon #211]
The Lost Level
"The Reports From Undermountain" [Dragon #227]
Maddgoth's Castle
Iakhovas' Attack on Waterdeep
The Great Modron March
Stardock
Skullport
Elminster In Hell
Dawn of Night [Erevis Cale Trilogy, Book II]
City of Splendors: Waterdeep
Return to Undermountain [web articles]

Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2009 :  16:55:48  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks!

Next one!
How did Abeir-Toril has been created? Well.. Ao simply created it? Who were the first ones? There is the story of the fight of Shar ans Selune, ok, I know that... But once i heard Chauntea created everything... Could someone give me more explanation?

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2009 :  17:08:48  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are just as many 'creation myths' for Faerūn as there are for our own homeworld (and, there's probably a few that are the same in both due to the portals). Some say Ao created the world, others say the world coalesced and the gods came to claim it, and some religions claim their god created it and other gods are merely interlopers.

Shar and Selūne were two of the earliest goddesses to come to the Realms, and Chauntea is said to have been birthed when the world was formed. Each god/goddess has their own version of 'how things are' and they rarely agree on anything.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2009 :  18:00:55  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My own question from reading this. What is the name of Abeir-Toril's Star?

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2009 :  20:47:44  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good question Brimstone...

And Ashe, so.. Let's start a discussion with our sages to get some hint of what truly happened... I think we could get some informations to try to discover it without Ed's help..
The Sage? Wooly? Like always, we need you knowledge...

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2009 :  00:35:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

BRIMSTONE

The Realmspace supplement simply refers to it as "The Sun."

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2009 :  00:44:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Good question Brimstone...

And Ashe, so.. Let's start a discussion with our sages to get some hint of what truly happened... I think we could get some informations to try to discover it without Ed's help..
The Sage? Wooly? Like always, we need you knowledge...

I don't think there's any truly detailed creation myth for Realmspace anywhere in the Realmslore. The most we can ascertain must be pieced together from novels, like the Evermeet novel, and sourcebooks, like Lost Empires of Faerūn, Giantcraft, and even the old FR Draconomicon.

Having said that, Brian James presented some speculative thoughts [which were based on canon events] about creation myths for Toril in the original PDF for A Grand History of the Forgotten Realms. Unfortunately, that source is no longer available for download, because of the print-version of Grand History. That particular "creation myth" section wasn't included in the print-version, so I can only assume it's still speculative "as-close-to-canon-as-we-have" Realmslore for the moment.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2009 :  04:12:32  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

BRIMSTONE

The Realmspace supplement simply refers to it as "The Sun."

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2009 :  13:31:40  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What did Brian James say there, Sage?

--- Ed Appel

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2009 :  14:46:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure whether I can re-post any of that info, because it's overall publication status is unclear.

Maybe Brian can elaborate on this.

Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2009 :  16:04:43  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did question Brian James... Let's wait for his answer...

I had some other questions to make. But now i forgot. I'll wait for it to return.

--- Ed Appel

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2009 :  23:57:46  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What did Brian James say there, Sage?
Edappel, I posted the sarrukh creation myth in my answer thread, found here: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9981&whichpage=10

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2009 :  13:23:06  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well.. I was going to post the link here too.

Next question!

What happens when a god dies? What happens with his soul?

--- Ed Appel

Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2009 :  14:01:00  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't think they really have souls as such, but from what I remember their bodies are left to drift in the astral sea in an eternal slumber, where they slowly fade away.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2009 :  17:04:14  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyr

Don't think they really have souls as such, but from what I remember their bodies are left to drift in the astral sea in an eternal slumber, where they slowly fade away.

Pretty much, aye. Their bodies end up in the Astral but they could be resurrected if they manage to receive enough power and or worshipers to do so. Or if there's a place left for them to fit into a pantheon again. Or, if you use him, Ao allows them to return to the pantheon(s).

But in general, they usually languish in the Astral.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2009 :  17:14:04  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One interesting sidenote is that some creatures like the Githyanki, I believe, make their homes in the bodies of dead gods.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2009 :  17:34:22  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyr

One interesting sidenote is that some creatures like the Githyanki, I believe, make their homes in the bodies of dead gods.

Indeed they do. :) The bodies also make great adventuring locations. Grin.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2009 :  18:12:43  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Tyr

Indeed they do. :) The bodies also make great adventuring locations. Grin.

Indeed. Check out the old Planescape accessory Dead Gods for an example adventure over the astral corpse of the dark god Tenebrous. For 4E, I included an epic tier lair in Open Grave which allows PCs to travel upon (and inside!) the astral corpse of the primordial Blood Lord, Haemnathuun.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2009 :  20:04:05  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But gods don't have souls? That's strange.
So what happened to Midnight's soul when she become Mystra?

And I'll have to check Dead Gods... This answers gives me many ideas to my campaign... Thanks!!

--- Ed Appel

Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2009 :  00:09:58  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
nothing really happens to her soul, as gods don't technically have a physical for, sorta like sci-fi energy beings.

So if she should die then she'll drift the astral sea like a normal god, instead of going to an afterlife. Can kinda understand why Midnight didn't want to be a god to begin with.

However usually the god's original personality, in the case of mortals becoming gods are eroded and replaced by one more fitting to their portfolios. Atleast that's what Mystra I said to Elminster when they were dating.

Edited by - Tyr on 18 Apr 2009 00:13:16
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2009 :  11:18:39  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
in my old forgotten realms atlas there is a city called shiertalar i think down near the lake of steam.it is given the same sort of size description as waterdeep and calimport but i have never heard anything about it.any lore anywhere.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2009 :  18:21:27  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

in my old forgotten realms atlas there is a city called shiertalar i think down near the lake of steam.it is given the same sort of size description as waterdeep and calimport but i have never heard anything about it.any lore anywhere.

I think you typoed the name of Sheirtalar.
So, I did not really find info about the city.
It's just quoted in few source books (Grand Tour of the Realms, Prayers from the Faithful, and Secrets of the Magister, one Dragon issue,...).
Some of the NPCs come from this town. That's the only things I found in these sources.
No real info about the proper city .

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2009 :  18:45:31  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I forgot the main piece of info about Sheirtalar : if I do not confuse, they produce a renamed black licorice whiskey ! (see Realms of the Underdark)
It's also quoted in Hand of fire ; but just quoted (twice).

Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2009 :  18:48:29  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyr

nothing really happens to her soul, as gods don't technically have a physical for, sorta like sci-fi energy beings.

SNIP

This seems to be contradicted by the existance of the Hunefer in ELH, which is (IIRC) the undead remains of a dead godling.

Edit: 100th post! Whoo-hoo.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco

Edited by - Knight of the Gate on 19 Apr 2009 18:49:06
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2009 :  18:51:20  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate

Congratulations Knight.
Go on...

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2009 :  22:40:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Tyr

SNIP

This seems to be contradicted by the existance of the Hunefer in ELH, which is (IIRC) the undead remains of a dead godling.

The ELH isn't a Realms source. I've never heard of Hunefer, myself.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  01:13:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Tyr

SNIP

It's important to note that the Epic Level Handbook is not specifically a Realms-source. It's core D&D, and thus, not really relevant for determining what is or isn't in the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  03:07:22  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another question:
When a citizen pray multiple gods, like its very common (Tymora, Chauntea, Lathander, etc..), which one would "get him" when he dies? The one that he/she most like? Depends the god?

--- Ed Appel

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  04:53:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Another question:
When a citizen pray multiple gods, like its very common (Tymora, Chauntea, Lathander, etc..), which one would "get him" when he dies? The one that he/she most like? Depends the god?

It's assumed that while everyone is going to give at least some attention to a variety of deities, there's going to be one that they venerate above the rest. I'd assume, if there was someone who somehow managed to offer equal veneration to multiple deities, that they'd go to the one that they most closely matched.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000