Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Brian R. James
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1077 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2009 :  14:58:24  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cannot seem to find my notes on those entries Markus. Hmmmm. The post *is* buried somewhere on the Kara-Tur Revisited thread on the WotC boards though. I'll keep searching.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames, and please be sure to check out the RED AEGIS Roleplaying Game
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13807 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2009 :  18:45:34  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No problem - I just figured I'd be lazy and try to save a little time.

Anyone else reading this -awhile back someone mentioned a 'Search trick' to be able to search for stuff on a specific site - a way of setting the variables in the search window.

Like usual, I forgot to jot-it down, and now I can't even recall who it was who posted that trick.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3524 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2009 :  20:25:30  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In google type what your looking for followed by a space then site:candlekeep.com

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13807 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2009 :  17:31:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That wouldn't work - the list I was looking for was at WotC!

But thanks...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3524 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2009 :  18:19:29  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

That wouldn't work - the list I was looking for was at WotC!

But thanks...

Just change the part after site: to whatever .com you want to search

[/threadjack]

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
2893 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2009 :  04:01:17  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Brian I enjoyed your Ecology of the Sharn Article.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2009 :  22:31:40  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brian, Brimstone happened to inform me that you sort of paid tribute to me in your Sharn article. I just wanted to say thanks, that was sweet.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2009 :  16:02:33  Show Profile  Click to see edappel's MSN Messenger address Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Brian!
We were talking about the creation of the realmspace at the topic "Question for the Answerer"... Could you give us some extra information? Sage told us that you had written something about it at Grand History of the Realms but they took off...

Thanks!

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31689 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2009 :  16:08:09  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to clarify Brian, I'm unsure about the status of the "Creation Myth" content from the original Grand History PDF. Since it wasn't included in the print version, I can only assume it's either non-applicable, or has been set aside for potential official use at some point in the future.

Thus, I'm a little hesitant to quote anything specifically from that source.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1077 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2009 :  23:54:12  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Edappel,

The following is an alternate creation myth as written in the original PDF of the Grand History. This specific text is not FR canon, though much of it forms the genesis of the Shadow Epoch history described in the 4E Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide p.42.

-Brian

The World Serpent

This creation myth passed down by generations of lizardfolk
begins with an ending. It is said in the ancient lore of the scaled
ones that planet we know as Toril was once covered entirely by a
single vast ocean. This world, home to a race of sea creatures
known simply as the Progenitors, had known peace and tranquility
for untold millennia. This peace ended with the arrival of the Night
Serpent.

Rising up from beneath the waves, the colossal beast stretched
forth and snatched the sun from the sky, swallowing it whole. The
world was plunged into darkness, causing global temperatures to
plummet. Within weeks most life on Toril was extinct. Returning
beneath the waves, the Night Serpent slept and the great ocean froze
solid around him.

Eons passed before sunlight warmed the world once more.
Oceans thawed then receded, allowing dry land to peak above the
frigid water. Plant life sprouted upon the surface of the world,
followed soon by primitive reptilian creatures. Ouroboros the World
Serpent observed and was pleased. From his own flesh Ouroboros
created the first Sarrukh and set them upon the land. In exchange for
their worship, the World Serpent pledged to teach them the secrets
of magic, civilization, and power.

In celebration, the World Serpent snatched a comet from the Sea
of Night forcing it into an orbit behind the existing moon. He then
imbued the two moons with a portion of his deific power and
naming them Ssharstrune and Zotha. To the comet Zotha he
entrusted the safety of his chosen Sarrukh. As long as Zotha
watched down upon the world the Sarrukh would thrive and
dominate the planet. To Ssharstrune he tasked the gift of light and
shadow; the power over arcane magic.

All was well for a time. Just as he knew they would, the Sarrukh
flourished and spread their dominion across the land. But Ouroboros
knew not of the existence of the Night Serpent whom still
slumbered beneath the world. Nor could The World Serpent know
that the descendants of the Progenitors were spawning beneath the
waves and even then undergoing metamorphosis to walk upon the
land.

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames, and please be sure to check out the RED AEGIS Roleplaying Game
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2009 :  13:20:17  Show Profile  Click to see edappel's MSN Messenger address Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wonderful! Thanks Brian!

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1077 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2009 :  00:21:42  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those of you that may be interested, I started posting new timeline events on my micro blog at http://www.twitter.com/brianrjames

I'm going to post at least one new timeline event each day, covering the years after the Spellplague. I'm starting with events relating to Cormyr, Sembia, and the Dalelands (most intended for the FRCG or Backdrop: Cormyr but were subsequently cut).

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2009 :  00:32:14  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
YAY!

I've been working on putting the entries into the historical notes for the Forgotten Realms Calendar Tool.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2009 :  02:33:03  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Brian,

Are you even going to expand the older entries? I've seen a few entries, least on the PDF version, that I've tried to find but were never included.

Like, for instance, the other night I was looking for the date for the attack of the tarrasque against the Herald's Holdfast and it's not in the PDF version. Not sure if it was added in the printed version cause I didn't dig it out to look.

But that is one of many entries that I've gone looking for and noticed that weren't included. Again, they might be in the printed version though.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30083 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2009 :  23:03:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

For those of you that may be interested, I started posting new timeline events on my micro blog at http://www.twitter.com/brianrjames

I'm going to post at least one new timeline event each day, covering the years after the Spellplague. I'm starting with events relating to Cormyr, Sembia, and the Dalelands (most intended for the FRCG or Backdrop: Cormyr but were subsequently cut).

For the first time since it came out, I'm going to have to follow someone's Twitter...

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31689 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  01:15:24  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

For the first time since it came out, I'm going to have to follow someone's Twitter...

I agree. Finally, I can say "Yeah, I use Twitter!"

Good stuff Brian.

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1077 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  03:02:51  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Are you even going to expand the older entries? I've seen a few entries, least on the PDF version, that I've tried to find but were never included.
That's an excellent question Kuje. I had hoped that WotC would continue to publish online updates to the Grand History, but that hasn't happened. I'm well aware that there are gaps in the Grand History, both PDF and print editions, which should be filled. I happen to have a copy of Mr. Krashos unreleased consolidated timeline, which is freakin huge! Perhaps we can all pester George to release part, or all of this fantastic work to the public.

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1077 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  03:05:52  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I agree. Finally, I can say "Yeah, I use Twitter!"

Good stuff Brian.

Hehehe. Thanks guys. I've become increasingly fond of Twitter, and I thought the timeline idea would be perfect for 140 characters or less.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  03:10:12  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been enjoying the tweets. Now if we can get George's massive timeline, life will be complete.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  03:47:01  Show Profile  Click to see edappel's MSN Messenger address Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Twitter added as a "favorite" on IE. ;)

--- Ed Appel

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  05:01:58  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

That's an excellent question Kuje. I had hoped that WotC would continue to publish online updates to the Grand History, but that hasn't happened. I'm well aware that there are gaps in the Grand History, both PDF and print editions, which should be filled. I happen to have a copy of Mr. Krashos unreleased consolidated timeline, which is freakin huge! Perhaps we can all pester George to release part, or all of this fantastic work to the public.

Nod nod. :( Ah well, I have a feeling that the dates from the older years won't ever be updated. Sigh. And some of the material that was cut from the printed version just made be scratch my head in puzzlement, especially because some of the entries are from the campaign box sets from 1e and 2e.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30083 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2009 :  15:37:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
1446 DR: Deep gnolls are spotted hunting in the Northtrees March. It is unknown what menace drove the hahlorkh to the surface.

Okay, first, I've got to ask: was this something you came up with later, or was this originally intended for print?

Second: Rock! I loved those articles, and I've already stated that if I could, I would make the deep gnolls official Realmslore.

Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2009 :  16:23:39  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hehehe. Thanks guys. I've become increasingly fond of Twitter, and I thought the timeline idea would be perfect for 140 characters or less.

Grmmbl. I really have to hate you for making me join twitter... Gmrmmbllbl
The entries are cool though. Would it be ok if I compile them (in order) on the FR wizards boards, if I provide alink to your twitter page? (Maybe I can get them to sticky the thread as well...)

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30083 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2009 :  16:32:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been making my own -- in chronological order -- compilation, too.

Mine's just a text file, though, for the moment.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31689 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2009 :  16:51:36  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've been making my own -- in chronological order -- compilation, too.
As have I. This is neato tidbit-Realmslore, that begs to be compiled for future reference.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000