Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Faerūn Map WIP
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2009 :  17:47:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Here is a WIP of where I'm at with my v.4.0 of my Faerūn Map.

This is the map I will use for the layered pdf atlas - I still have quite a ways to go before I can even add the locales and terrain names. I kept it purposely small because it is a WIP (the original is MUCH bigger), but you may note a lot of things have been added that were left off of the 3e map, including many lakes and several forests. I've also begun shading - you may be able to make a little of it out along the coast of Lantan and elsewhere(the small size makes it difficult to appreciate).

Please note: Although I take the terrain from the official maps for the most part, much of it is re-drawn by me, in order to get the size and orientation right, and also make 'corrections' where 3e terrain differed from earlier editions. I have kept to the 'squished' 3e map's layout, but I have re-sized just about everything to get stuff to work out better (with older maps). Also, everything is on seperate layers... which is why I had to re-draw most of it. This was to facilitate the layered pdf I plan on doing, so as to allow DMs to only print-out those features they want their players to see.

Anyone familiar with earlier editions of my maps may also note that the east has gotten a little bigger comparatively, while parts of the Hordelands (Semphar, Brightstar Lake, and the Great Wild Wood, for instance) shrunk quite a bit - I found the small section of the Taan that was shown on the official 3e map was WAY off, and threw off everything else I did. I also vastly improved (Read: corrected) the Utter East from my earlier versions.

This is pretty-much exactly what the 1st version of the atlas will include (the very edges of Zakhara and Kara-Tur). Eventually I plan on adding those settings to the atlas in their entirety, as well as a layer depicting the 4e changes (that will be LAST).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2009 :  19:27:30  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markus, you are my hero.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2009 :  01:26:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, I wouldn't mind seeing a new A Grand Tour of the Realms printed -- only featuring Markus's maps instead.

Great stuff!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2009 :  01:47:24  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

You know, I wouldn't mind seeing a new A Grand Tour of the Realms printed -- only featuring Markus's maps instead.

Agreed. The maps in the 2E Grand Tour of the Realms were awful.

Afet bint Tuzanķ

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2009 :  05:18:46  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You, once again, have my eye on your maps, sir. I'm very excited to see what you come up with once this project is done.

Again, Marvelous, marvelous work sir.

/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2009 :  08:10:06  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont have that book.

so... I'd buy it

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2009 :  15:37:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I revived this thread in order to answer Jakk's questions from the 'Ed thread'.

I was abou 95% done with the eastern Realms. I had a bit more to polish-up in the south, and a couple of locales to add around the capital of Shou Lung, but the thing that was really holding me up was the Island nations.

I was unhappy with certain aspects of the way I was working, and I'm the kind of person who can't move forward if he is unhappy with any aspect of something. The main problem was the differences in scale - I had to work on the island in 150 DP (bare minimum), when the rest of the map was in 72 DP (which is what the original version of the 3eFR Map was in that I downlaoded).

So, along with many other lesser-problems, I decided to start-over from the beginning, and 're-do' the entire continent at 150 DP, and correct everything else that was still bothering me along the way.

My originals still exist, and I use them as a reference, and I have even 'borrowed' bits from them that I like (parts of the mountains in the Utter East). However, my own skills have come along way since I started that, and from one end to the other you can see the difference. I think I have 'plateaued' (skill-wise), so the new map should have a more uniform look to it.

Another problem I was having - more of a personal issue - was that I was including a little bit of 'homebrew' on each map. While smaller locales didn't bother me so much (like towns and cities), I had started to add terrain features in the east (and elsewhere). I realize that this can cause some confusion down the road, when folks tried to look-up stuff in canon that didn't really exist.

Ergo, I came-up with the idea of a layered pdf (inspired by that incredible Waterdeep Map), so I can keep everything seperate. Since everyone had different opinions about what they wanted to see on the maps, now I put all the control into their hands. It will even (eventually) solve the problem of doing a '4e version' (by simply adding yet-another layer).

The pdf also forces me to be more diligent with my note-taking (definately a good thing), because I intend to have an index listing the sources where more info is available.. for EVERY SINGLE ITEM ON THE MAP!

EDIT: Here's a Naked version of Lantan, taking from the new Map. You can see how I'm shading the coasts now. I'm also doing something similar with rivers, to make them 'pop' more.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Jul 2009 15:47:38
Go to Top of Page

Green Giant
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2009 :  18:20:13  Show Profile Send Green Giant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I applaud your persistence, dedication, and attention to detail. I can't wait to see the map in all its glory.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2009 :  18:55:21  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I revived this thread in order to answer Jakk's questions from the 'Ed thread'.

I was abou 95% done with the eastern Realms. I had a bit more to polish-up in the south, and a couple of locales to add around the capital of Shou Lung, but the thing that was really holding me up was the Island nations.

I was unhappy with certain aspects of the way I was working, and I'm the kind of person who can't move forward if he is unhappy with any aspect of something. The main problem was the differences in scale - I had to work on the island in 150 DP (bare minimum), when the rest of the map was in 72 DP (which is what the original version of the 3eFR Map was in that I downlaoded).

So, along with many other lesser-problems, I decided to start-over from the beginning, and 're-do' the entire continent at 150 DP, and correct everything else that was still bothering me along the way.

My originals still exist, and I use them as a reference, and I have even 'borrowed' bits from them that I like (parts of the mountains in the Utter East). However, my own skills have come along way since I started that, and from one end to the other you can see the difference. I think I have 'plateaued' (skill-wise), so the new map should have a more uniform look to it.

Ergo, I came-up with the idea of a layered pdf (inspired by that incredible Waterdeep Map), so I can keep everything seperate. Since everyone had different opinions about what they wanted to see on the maps, now I put all the control into their hands. It will even (eventually) solve the problem of doing a '4e version' (by simply adding yet-another layer).

The pdf also forces me to be more diligent with my note-taking (definately a good thing), because I intend to have an index listing the sources where more info is available.. for EVERY SINGLE ITEM ON THE MAP!

<snip>

<drool> I am in awe, Markus. I agree that starting over was probably the best (if not the easiest) solution to the problems; at your last update on the previous map, you were losing your mind over the scaling issues of Wa and Kozakura (as you said). We don't want you to lose your mind; we want Wizbro to come to their senses and hire you for cartography for the 5E Realms. Hey, a guy can dream, can't he? I think we'll see 4E Birthright long before we hear about plans for 5E... and that's a setting I just *might* be persuaded to purchase. Anyway, enough babble; allow me to let you return to mapping... NOW!

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2009 :  21:10:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL... WotC could never hire me, nor anyone else for that matter.

"Deadlines" aren't my thing.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2009 :  03:57:09  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

<snip>"Deadlines" aren't my thing.

Heh... nor mine. I've checked out the Lantan snippet, and I really like the way the coastlines are looking now. I'll try to be patient... really, I'll try.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2009 :  01:36:22  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL... was this double-entendre intended, Mark?
quote:

<snip>

Also: I didn't get a response to my PM; I take it that means the answer is no? I'm suspecting logistics (file size, primarily) would make it extremely difficult, anyway.

Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2009 :  20:02:53  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

"Deadlines" aren't my thing.

I love deadlines.

I especially love the whooshing sound as the fly by.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Darkstar Daimonizomal
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2009 :  03:17:36  Show Profile  Visit Darkstar Daimonizomal's Homepage Send Darkstar Daimonizomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"If one [person] praises you, a thousand will repeat the praise."

Awesome map Markustay!!!!

~Darkstar

Edited by - Darkstar Daimonizomal on 26 Jul 2009 03:20:41
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2009 :  05:51:25  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks great can't wait till your done I plan use it as my only quest map reference once its done.

Good job.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000