Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Rhynn Lanthorn
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Moonlight
Acolyte

25 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2009 :  20:21:38  Show Profile  Visit Moonlight's Homepage Send Moonlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
"The Rhynn Lanthorn is a magical lantern held by the elves of Suldanessellar. It has the power to reveal things behind even the most powerful illusions.

When Irenicus was attacking Suldanessellar, he hid its entrance with illusions to prevent Elhan and his troops from entering. The Lanthorn was capable of seeing through the illusions, so he had Bodhi steal it and hide it in Athkatla. Only when it was recovered were the elves able to get back into the city."

This description is from FR Wiki. Rhynn Lanthorn is an elven artifact in the Baldur's Gate 2 game. Is there any other reference to this artifact somewhere else? Is it related to any way to Myth Rhynn? Thanks.

Sehanine is dreaming...

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2009 :  21:14:30  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't recall seeing it anywhere else, but I like that line of thought...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2009 :  22:06:03  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Suldanesselar got a major re-working in BGII. It was introduced, IIRC, in Lands of Intrigue as a small tree town/fort/hidden refuge created by the green elves in the wake of the attack Elaine wrote about in Silver Shadows. BGII turned it into an ancient moon elven city that was promptly besieged.

IMC, the way I got around this problem was to make the BGII Suldanesselar a remnant of Keltormir, the moon elven empire that existed in the Forest of Tethyr and surrounding lands during and just after the Crown Wars. At the height of the wars, when things were looking bleakest, the elves went into hiding. They wove a mythal around their city that hid them completely from view. Unfortunately, the Crown Wars badly scarred them, and they've remained in hiding ever since.

The Lanthorn was one of several keys created to allow access to the mythal. Most such keys are kept within the city, for obvious reasons, but since not even elves born in the city can find their way back without a key, occasionally they are found outside the mythal. Irenicus, being from the city and knowing about the keys, merely waited until one was vulnerable.

Yes, this pulls not only from the game, but from Myth Dyraalis as well. In this version, Myth Dyraalis's creation was influenced by the elves of Suldanesselar; either directly, through expatriots, or indirectly, through magical nudges from within the city.

The modern Suldanesselar is exactly as described: a refuge for the forest's green elves, with a population of a few hundred. It either has a different name, or its name was suggested by someone who knew of hidden Suldanesselar, and wanted to send an unsubtle "take that" to the cowardly elves.

One of the things I like about this version is that you can rule that the mythal falls or is badly weakened by Irenicus in the wake of his attack, revealing the city to the world for the first time in ten thousand years. The green elves will hardly be pleased with them, considering the moon elves stood by and did nothing while they were decimated. This can lead to all sorts of interesting role playing opportunities.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Moonlight
Acolyte

25 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2009 :  11:51:29  Show Profile  Visit Moonlight's Homepage Send Moonlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you both for your answers :)

Sehanine is dreaming...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000