Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Dragon Features: Countdown to the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  01:03:27  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080111a

Well well. 1479 DR.

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  01:15:11  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now they call it Luruar . . .
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  01:37:55  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is the first real information about post-spellplague Faerun. So Waterdeep, Baldurs Gate and the Swordcoast, Cormyr, Myth Drannor, Evereska have all survived, Cormyr even in a good state. This is good news!

I don't know what to make of the new dragonborn. And if the lands of Unther has undergone such drastic changes, it is most interesting to know what has become of Mulhorand.

Sadly no news about Halruaa.

I anticipate the next articles very much.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  01:56:37  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given what they have said about Halruaa detracting from the "core Realms" experience, I wouldn't relax too much. That having been said, I'm glad this is finally posted. Not because I like the changes (although some part of me, for some reason, is relieved that Cormyr and Waterdeep are fine, even though I'm pretty well resolved to stay with the current timeline), but because even though it seemed pretty likely that this was the case due to the Orc King prologue, there was still a big question mark about what was actually going to happen.

I'd rather deal with facts than jump at shadows.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  02:17:35  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I'd rather deal with facts than jump at shadows.

Agreed. The article relieved some tension...although that's not to say I was pleased with what I read. It's still not the Realms I know and love.

I don't like the idea of an "Imperial" Cormyr. I can't say I saw the description of Baldur's Gate as being especially positive, either: the image I had in my head was of an overcrowded city filled with sprawling racial ghettos.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 12 Jan 2008 02:20:46
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  02:21:21  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, we now know that technically its not a 100 year time jump . . .
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  02:24:41  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I can't wait to be correcting people: "It's only 94 years!"

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  02:39:57  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

I can't wait to be correcting people: "It's only 94 years!"

that was one of my first thoughts, besides the Eberron theme with the plaguelands. WOTC gave the people what they wanted, not to jump ahead 100 years.

regardless, it is good to see Waterdeep still around and doing well so far.

Edited by - scererar on 12 Jan 2008 02:43:03
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  02:58:20  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bloody ****ing Hell!!! And they did not think that they would be alienating fans of the "old" Realms? I have to seriously wonder how many of the designers in charge of this decision have their heads screwed on strait! <statement followed by many other expletives>

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  03:05:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sure it is, the CURRENT Realms year is 1375 DR, not 1385. The last ten years of the GHotR and the Spellplague is the future of 3e - that means the new campaign date IS 104 years from now!

Not really loving it at all - I HATE Draconians.

I'm just left with a great big feeling of 'Meh' at the moment.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Jan 2008 03:07:48
Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  03:05:32  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I've decided to not use 4e FR. I was holding off tentatively for something solid, and this is it. I'm somewhat sad yes, but I've yet to scratch the surface of the Realms pre-4e anyway.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  03:15:16  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I'm just left with a great big feeling of 'Meh' at the moment.

I am glad you are just feeling "meh," because I'm feeling that now all-too-familiar nauseous feeling again. I wonder how long it will last this time...

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 12 Jan 2008 03:16:36
Go to Top of Page

Theophilus
Learned Scribe

Australia
143 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  03:32:31  Show Profile  Visit Theophilus's Homepage Send Theophilus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Plenty of material here for a new Mace rant eh?
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  03:50:32  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can I now safely guess time line advance closer to 100 years, then 10 years?

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  03:50:49  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damn.. now I have to decide if I want to spend my money on this edition.

They better reveal what happened to all the Chosen soon.

Nice to see Blackstaff's legacy survived.. I hope the same will be true for both Alustriel and Simbul. I'd very much like to see them both still a live and ruling.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

Edited by - SirUrza on 12 Jan 2008 03:52:32
Go to Top of Page

ajfurst
Acolyte

Australia
21 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  04:42:18  Show Profile  Visit ajfurst's Homepage Send ajfurst a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A bit of a mixed bag. It's good to see some of the most iconic areas left intact and I can handle 'new' lands and monsters without too much issue - I can even see the upside of that.

As a long time Realms fan, the bit which got me is (paraphrasing) 'This is the new Realms, don't ask for too much detail on how it got to here from the old or we might risk this theoretical market that doesn't like the FR that we hope will now like the FR'. Perhaps that's a bit paranoid, but I'd hope to see over time more articles (hopefully a few by the grand master of the Realms) marking the road from 'Old' to 'New' Realms.

Sure we're all going to have bits of the new we don't like (maybe a lot), but I'm sure I'm not the only one who cares to see the 'How', 'When' and 'Why' (FR history wise) it now will look like it does, rather then just 'Here it is, like it or lump it'. If any from WoTC reads these boards then I doubt I'm the only old time Realms fan more likely to be 'New times' Realms fan as well if you provide more concrete links between the two.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  04:56:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Now they call it Luruar . . .

Yeah, that immediately caught my eye, too. Hopefully that means Lurue is still around!

I'm glad to see the areas that survived, particularly Waterdeep. Baldur's Gate is now the largest city in the Realms, though? What happened to Calimshan?

And why are the Dales mentioned only in passing?

I don't like the Empire of Netheril. I thought the whole returning Shade thing was mishandled, and I've not liked anything Shade has done since...

Tymanther... Well, that does interest me, I gotta say. It's also interesting that that appears to be the joining of worlds.

"drifting earthmotes covered in weird aerial forests," Oh, for the love of Finder, please tell me that this doesn't mean islands floating in the sky!

The thing that bothers me most about the 94 year jump is that most of the now current lore becomes worthless. Yeah, it's still canon and in the past, but it's now disconnected from the 4E Realms. We have to explore the setting all over again, all the while knowing what it was... This is, to me, more like the cousin of the Realms, not the Realms we've come to know and love.

I'm still holding out hope that 4E FR won't be terrible, but I don't know if I can take all these changes...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  05:22:55  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I'm still holding out hope that 4E FR won't be terrible, but I don't know if I can take all these changes...

ever the optimist. Me, I'm as depressed as hell. I can't decide if I want to make the 104 year jump (unlikely), get left behind, or move my campaign elsewhere....

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  05:42:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm glad to see the areas that survived, particularly Waterdeep. Baldur's Gate is now the largest city in the Realms, though? What happened to Calimshan?
*cough* Calimport *cough*

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

imis999
Acolyte

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  05:42:21  Show Profile  Visit imis999's Homepage Send imis999 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, this has helped to cement my decision not to leave 3.5 edition Realms. There are so many stories left for 3.5 Realms that a "Reboot" was not necessary. Can't keep the history straight, just hit the reset button. Feh!

I'd love to see folks on here use 3rd party adventures and campaigns in fit them into creating a future for the Realms. We really need a Realms Classic section!
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  07:46:21  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And why are the Dales mentioned only in passing?

Because they're halmark of the old school Realms fans. Not to mention the home of 3 or 4 chosen of Mystra.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  08:03:50  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Theophilus

Plenty of material here for a new Mace rant eh?

Indeed...expect one soon!

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  08:07:04  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given the fact that Abeir-Toril was hit by a major catastrophe, it is reasonable to expect great changes. Change per se is not bad, and I accept that Faerun is not a static setting, but a shifting and changing one. Major events have major consequences. Fortunately the changes to countries and areas of Toril described in this article are not so grave that I wouldn’t recognize the Realms anymore. There is enough of the old Realms left, and simultaneously there are quite obvious signs of some huge events.

All these things are possible and logical. But more important things are not covered yet: e. g. the change of the pantheons (the lost of racial distinctive pantheons by merging them - and this is not only merging different gods in a new pantheon but merging these very gods in a single new one - is quite more problematical) and the changes to the race of elves by merging eladrins with elves, as someone has pointed out yesterday in another scroll, pose serious problems to existing, valid lore, contradicting established facts. The same is valid for the cause of this catastrophe (the divine soap opera) which isn’t a good start for new Realms.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads

Edited by - Ayunken-vanzan on 12 Jan 2008 08:08:50
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  08:51:58  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A mixed bag indeed. I'm not sold on the timejump and I am most certainly not sold on the spellplague. I really loathe in-setting explanations for rules changes.

That said, for a 104 years, I expected more/worse changes. If my group wants a "new" realms, I may go for it.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  09:49:14  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

"drifting earthmotes covered in weird aerial forests," Oh, for the love of Finder, please tell me that this doesn't mean islands floating in the sky!

Thats the one part I liked, I love floating islands in the sky. The Realms needs a bunch of these; at least my Realms does. With cloud castles, giants, dragons and pegasi of course
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  10:40:44  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm taking the middle ground on this one. It's a mixed bag, but still a lot more familiar than I was predicting it to be. I shall have to wait until the follow-up columns to make a more in-depth (and more informed) opinion.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  10:56:44  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Euh...

That's not my concern but...
Why don't you use the 4e FR topic (http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9912) ?

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.

Edited by - Fillow on 12 Jan 2008 12:21:12
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  12:08:12  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So now we know. I don't like it.
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  13:57:14  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to much respect for the Forgotten Realms to accept this timeline.

This seems so much like how Hollywood does remakes of classic movies, such as the SciFi channel's latest version of the Wizard of Oz.

So while they own the right to mutate the Forgotten Realms, I'll invoke my right to not purchase nor promote the Forgotten Realms. I'm now of the opinion that I'd rather see the setting die as a commercial product than see it treated like this.

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  14:26:13  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like Halruaa is gone too ...

http://www.gleemax.com/Comms/Pages/Communities/BlogPost.aspx?blogpostid=33552&pagemode=2&blogid=5122

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  14:35:45  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
.......94 years? 94 YEARS!!

Sorry people, but this broke the camel's back. I'm now officially done with any and all WOTC products. The Realms I fell in love with was Ed's Realms, not this.....this pale shadow. This feels like what Marvel pulled with spider-man, and it tastes just as bad. I wish you all very well in the future.

"Khorne picks up his axe and leaves the keep".

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy

Edited by - khorne on 12 Jan 2008 14:37:33
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000