Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 A Grand History of the Realms (product)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

Bocklin
Learned Scribe

Germany
151 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  12:33:11  Show Profile Send Bocklin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Brand new from the product listings over at WotC: "A Grand History of the Realms".

quote:
The Grand History of the Realms chronicles the rich history of the Forgotten Realms campaign setting, presenting a detailed timeline accompanied by essays from Elminster of Shadowdale and other Realmslore experts. Although not a game supplement, it serves as a handy reference guide for players and Dungeon Masters seeking information on specific historical events. In addition, the book features an exclusive Forgotten Realms short story by best-selling author R.A. Salvatore and new revelations for Realmslore aficionados.

BRIAN R. JAMES is a senior usability engineer in the software industry. In the evenings, he is an active member of the Forgotten Realms online community and an eager student of Realmslore. Brian lives in Montana with his high school sweetheart Toni and their four children.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/fracc/9780786947317

Not a RPG product, not a novel. What is it and who will buy it? Hum...

Bocklin

Edited by - Bocklin on 02 Feb 2007 12:33:32

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  12:47:33  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well as to what it is; from all I can see its an official and extended version of Brian R James fantastic history book.

As to who will buy it? Me!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  17:09:10  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a RPG product.... not sure why you said it isn't. They showed it at Gencon 06 and many of us are looking forward to it. Brian did a great job on it and we have offered our congrat's to him before. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 02 Feb 2007 17:10:21
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  17:22:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the phrase "not a game supplement" is deceptive, here. To me, it is a game supplement. It may not have rules, PrCs, feats, and other such stuff, but it is a wonderful resource and can only help both DMs and players.

Who will buy it? I'll leave work on my lunch break to go get it. I won't wait for the end of the day. I quite want this, more than a lot of other 2007 releases.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Bocklin
Learned Scribe

Germany
151 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  21:13:37  Show Profile Send Bocklin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

It's a RPG product.... not sure why you said it isn't. They showed it at Gencon 06 and many of us are looking forward to it. Brian did a great job on it and we have offered our congrat's to him before. :)

I probably read too much in the "not a game supplement" bit I guess, as Wooly noticed.

I just have difficulties figuring what this product actually is... Could you enlighten me a bit?

Bocklin
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  21:30:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bocklin

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I probably read too much in the "not a game supplement" bit I guess, as Wooly noticed.

I just have difficulties figuring what this product actually is... Could you enlighten me a bit?

Bocklin

It is a supplement in that it offers much background material on the setting. Brian has worked on this thing for quite a long time, and it has undergone many revisions.

The WotC release will obviously have a lot more material in it, but you can get an idea of what to expect by perusing the existing pdf version (which is undoubtedly what put him on WotC's radar): A Grand History of the Realms. It is, quite simply, the most detailed and comprehensive Forgotten Realms timeline that we know of.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  22:18:04  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The currently available Grand History is a great compilation of published references, but not such a good summary of Realms history, much of which isn't known in any detail -- an even history would omit parts of Brian's timeline and add new bits. So I wonder how the book will change and what its exact purpose is. And how much it will footnote sources: a Realms tradition dating back to Ed's gates article but sadly waned.

Edited by - Faraer on 02 Feb 2007 22:18:48
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  22:48:03  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Elminster essays are what is making me long for this product...perhaps more than anything else.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  23:15:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

The currently available Grand History is a great compilation of published references, but not such a good summary of Realms history, much of which isn't known in any detail -- an even history would omit parts of Brian's timeline and add new bits. So I wonder how the book will change and what its exact purpose is. And how much it will footnote sources: a Realms tradition dating back to Ed's gates article but sadly waned.

Indeed.

Considering also, that it is a product tailored for DMs as well, suggests that specific historical events that have just been hinted at on Brian's timeline may indeed be greatly expanded in this volume, with whatever current lore exists on such events.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  23:23:01  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For instance, putting together my own unfinished Dales timeline, which is more detailed than Brian's but much more limited, pointed out a lot of uncertain areas, such the founding of half of the Dales.
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  23:42:56  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

For instance, putting together my own unfinished Dales timeline, which is more detailed than Brian's but much more limited, pointed out a lot of uncertain areas, such the founding of half of the Dales.

I assume you will be making this available to scribes here once you're finished? I, for one, would certainly be interested in seeing such a work.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  23:43:32  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me too.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Conlon
Learned Scribe

Canada
132 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2007 :  00:01:11  Show Profile  Visit Conlon's Homepage Send Conlon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm certainly looking forward to picking this up! The pdf version has been of great value to me in creating my current campaign. WotC: Consider my money spent!

My hopes are ashes, my dreams are dust. All my intentions mean nothing unless they are followed by action.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2007 :  00:44:41  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello again everyone. I’m very excited to see the official WotC announcement for the Grand History of the Realms. Again, I thank all my friends at Candlekeep.com for their support over the years. And a big thank you to Richard Baker at WotC, who got the ball rolling. Below are some thoughts on some questions I've read about the product.

When WotC says it’s "not a game supplement", I presume they imply the Grand History will not include game mechanics like prestige classes, spells, and the like. This book is solidly in the 'fluff' category.

Though the published Grand History will indeed contain the familiar timeline, the accompanying essays will afford Ed and others the opportunity greater flesh out pieces of Toril's history in greater detail. WotC is loosly marketing this more as a coffee table book than a reference guide.

This product focuses strictly on the history of the Forgotten Realms. I am unsure if sub-setting events from Kara-Tur, Maztica, etc.. will make it into the final product, though I did include them in the manuscript.

Yes, I suspect that WotC will request the online edition of the Grand History be removed any day now, so download it while you still can!

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2007 :  01:57:44  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info, it's good to know. I'm actually getting excited about this product. And I should probably check to see if I have the most recent version downloaded currently.

Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2007 :  03:06:47  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Brian, with 160 pages, will the book have mostly new material?

I really hope this product does well. Would love to see books that detail the geography, architecture, costumes, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Bocklin
Learned Scribe

Germany
151 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2007 :  08:05:54  Show Profile Send Bocklin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I understand that a bit better now.

I am actually familiar with Brian's PDF file and use it so often that I feel embarassed at not having made the mental-link myself directly. :)

I am just not so sure about the "coffee table book" approach, but I might let myself convinced. I know that when I hold a nice, good-looking, FR book it's hard for me to resist...

Bocklin
Go to Top of Page

Brenigin
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
117 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2007 :  09:49:39  Show Profile  Visit Brenigin's Homepage Send Brenigin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps WotC is taking a leaf out of the Games Workshop book (no pun intended) and experimenting with rules-free fluff books?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2007 :  17:41:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brenigin

Perhaps WotC is taking a leaf out of the Games Workshop book (no pun intended) and experimenting with rules-free fluff books?

They've done it before, at least as TSR... The artbooks had no rules, and though they did slide a few things into the Volo's Guide series, that was all about lore... The PG set of Player's Guides were more lore-based "welcome to this setting!" books than anything else, and little in the Aurora's Whole Realms Catalog had any rules-based value, save for separating players from their gold.

Oh, and there were also the TM series of Trail Maps...

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 03 Feb 2007 17:42:44
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2007 :  18:37:28  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

I'm very happy to see this finally appear in the WotC product pages Again, congratulations Brian, you must be over the moon

This is without a doubt the most exciting and anticipated WotC product of the year for me.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2007 :  22:14:35  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Brenigin

They've done it before, at least as TSR... The artbooks had no rules, and though they did slide a few things into the Volo's Guide series, that was all about lore... The PG set of Player's Guides were more lore-based "welcome to this setting!" books than anything else, and little in the Aurora's Whole Realms Catalog had any rules-based value, save for separating players from their gold.

Oh, and there were also the TM series of Trail Maps...

Aye, maybe this is their way of testing the water again and seeing if there is a market out there currently.

Go to Top of Page

Prince Forge of Avalon
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2007 :  06:44:59  Show Profile  Visit Prince Forge of Avalon's Homepage Send Prince Forge of Avalon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to say to Brian here Im sorry for not remembering it was you who did The Grand History of the Realms and congrats on getting published!! You most certainly deserve it!!

PFoA
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2007 :  13:33:37  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha! Great to read this - I did not look into this thread earlier, cause I thought it was one of those discussions about 'what happend when' - a subject I have mostly little to contribute to due to my lack of knowledge on those matters. But now after reading this, I am stunned. Great work there Brian! I always considered your 'unofficial' version to be worth publishing and I even find it better to see that a fan's dedicated work is finally appreciated also from the game's publishers.

Good luck with this product and count on me for increasing the sales statistics.

Now, I wonder if we will see this product in shelves with the same 'opening words' by Alaundo as can be read in the pdf version.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2007 :  23:23:00  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I think the phrase "not a game supplement" is deceptive, here. To me, it is a game supplement. It may not have rules, PrCs, feats, and other such stuff, but it is a wonderful resource and can only help both DMs and players.

Who will buy it? I'll leave work on my lunch break to go get it. I won't wait for the end of the day. I quite want this, more than a lot of other 2007 releases.

Me too! I have printed the pdf-file, but I WILL buy this book for three reasons:

1) To support Brian's unselfish work all these years (and also to support "fluffy-only" tomes :)

2) For its great content - I have referenced the timelines during every gaming session as the DM

3) For its handy format - a book is always better than a big pile of prints.

GREAT work, Brian!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2007 :  00:54:21  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brian

Are you going to include the events of Baldurs Gate 2 and Throne of Bhaal in the published version of Grand History of the Realms? I noticed you only included events from the BG1 in GHotR.pdf

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2007 :  01:34:13  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have yet to read the novelization of those events, so I didn't include them in the .pdf nor the manuscript I turned over for the print edition. I do own both novels, however, so there still may be time to get these event included. Was there some specific event in the novels you'd like to draw my attention to Dargoth?

-Brian.

quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Brian

Are you going to include the events of Baldurs Gate 2 and Throne of Bhaal in the published version of Grand History of the Realms? I noticed you only included events from the BG1 in GHotR.pdf

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2007 :  01:50:47  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are infact 3 novels

Baldurs gate
Baldurs gate 2
BG2: Throne of Bhaal

The first 2 are by Phil Athans and Throne of Bhaals by Drew "Kapshwyr"

One of the major issues is Saradush

In Throne of Bhaal (The expansion to BG2, there is a Throne of Bhaal novel but I never bought it) the city of Saradush is razed to the ground by a Fire Giant Bhaalspawn and his army (This is unavoidable event in the game has nothing to do with any choice the player makes)

However theres no mention of this in the FRC and Saradush has the same population it had in 2ed which has always led me to believe that the the BG games arent Canon (several major events in the games and novels arent reflected in the Timeline) if the games are Canon then Sarasush today (circa 1374) should be in similar state as Zhentil Keep.

There also isnt any mention of the damage Irenicus did to the Elven city in the Forest of Tethyr (this is a BG2 event)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 09 Feb 2007 01:53:23
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2007 :  02:00:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the novels are canon -- so says WotC and the authors of the novels.

And, of course, the games cannot be considered FR canon, as the author, Drew Karpyshyn says, "because of their multiple endings, the BG games can't be considered 'official' in the FR world."

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2007 :  02:08:13  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are we still having this argument? Gees, why do you keep insisting on bringing this up, Dargoth? The games are not canon while the novels are. We've told you this for at least two years now. Especially since the novels have been referenced in more then one 3/3.5e sourcebook.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2007 :  02:11:22  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Well, the novels are canon -- so says WotC and the authors of the novels.

And, of course, the games cannot be considered FR canon, as the author, Drew Karpyshyn says, "because of their multiple endings, the BG games can't be considered 'official' in the FR world."

These are not multiple ending events they happan regardless as to what the player does

Also Im pretty sure I saw some material or the deaths of some of the rulers of Baldurs Gate city in a source book (Power of Faerun?) and in the game the rulers dont have to die if the players quick so the FR designers have already made a descision on an variable event in the games so I dont see that as a hinderence

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2007 :  03:33:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going with what we've been told by the game designers... The events of the Bhaalspawn saga as depicted in the novels are canon. We have an entire sourcebook dedicted to the novels -- Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II -- as well as the reference in PoF, along with the characters from the novels being stat’d up in DRAGON #262 for 2e and the Bhaalspawn template for 3e in DRAGON #288. And LEoF.

WotC lists them as taking place in 1368 DR and 1369 DR. Jim Butler has also told us the events are canon in 2000 on the FR Mailing List. And finally, Rich Baker, Ed Greenwood and Ed Bonny have all confirmed this as well. For me, that grounds the novels, and only the novels, into the firm bedrock of Realms canon.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000