Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 60

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2011 :  21:37:07  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Uh-oh. I think most of those are NDA.
However, we'll see. Off your query goes to Ed.
Who is busy busy busy as usual right now (three novels and some game products and short stories to do before year-end, from what he's said most recently) . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2011 :  08:27:16  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

...and I'm happy to wait.

I hope NOT all are NDA. I'd be glad to know the history of at least two or three of those on the list.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Lirdolin
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2011 :  08:35:39  Show Profile  Visit Lirdolin's Homepage Send Lirdolin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

quote:
Originally posted by gomez
So does that mean the moon, when viewed from Toril, is green? Iow can those forests be seen?
Gomez

And in Post-Spellplague the illusion has been gone for 100 years, so when viewed from Toril you can rely on this quote from the Wailing Years article: "The surface of the moon, long presented to us mortals as a barren landscape of craters and lifeless valleys, now revealed to me majestic mountains and sprawling seas; itself alight with similar cobalt radiance."

But is the article true in the current year(Post-Spellplague)? For the goddess Selūne's moon still/again seems to radiate silver light in 1479DR. So, has the illusion (I believe formerly a work of Leira?) been renewed or is it gone and the moon is a green-blue orb that for some reason radiates silver light?

The Selūnites were a paranoid bunch and feared that the People of Toril would one day attack them. Did the Spellplague/death of Leira affect their way of living? If they sell moon wine to Faerūn they seem to be less xenophobic now.
Their monarch, the elfqueen Alabaster would at least have had the opportunity to rule through the Spellplague and change society in a long term. But maybe the Selunites were affected by the Spellplague as well and had to change?
May it be that Ed could shed some light on the current Post- Spellplague-status of Selūne (as a moon), her Tears and the Selūnites? And maybe the planets encirceling Toril as well (might be useful for starpact warlocks)?

Lirdolin
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2011 :  09:48:28  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Tantam All!

With the upcoming royal nuptials in the UK, I was wondering if Ed or THO could share some lore about the recent Obarskyr weddings?

Are they 'full-on' pomp and ceremony for all folk of the Forest Country to see, or just a few select nobles?

Are all marriages carried out in the same building and how religious is the ceremony?

Wedding rings swapped? if so what are they made from and are they forged from the same mines for every wedding etc. Would the rings be enchanted?

Would the happy couple get a chance of a honeymoon? and if so where did Az and Fee get away to?

Any special ceremonies performed at every wedding, (rituals securing the couple to the Dragon Throne and the land perhaps?) out of sight of those present?

Away from the ceremony I assume a 'national holiday' would be celebrated? Are local lords obligated to lay on a feast for the villagers?

Any other lore on Rpyal wedding traditions and celebrations most welcome

Until swords part

Kind regards

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2011 :  15:30:25  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hoo boy. Hi, Damian. My brain seems a bit fuzzy this morn, but here's what little I can remember (before Ed weighs in with a proper answer, of course):

"Yes" to pomp, rings, and honeymoon (always in a secret locale that standing legend insists is always far from Cormyr, but many Cormyreans suspect is usually/always closer to home).
Yes, it's a national holiday, and the King's lords lay on feasts in their various locales at which a Crown herald and a local War Wizard declaim the unfolding distant ceremony (the wizard working a large "farscry illusion" in the air above their platform, that shows the vows and royal kiss at the height/culmination of the ceremony).
I seem to remember that the venue and the "approach" (arrivals of bridal party and groom) can vary with each wedding, and approaches have included groom galloping up on horseback.
I definitely recall that multiple Wizards of War cast wards on the participants and all royals (and visiting heads of state, though these are rare) present, to prevent magical and archery attacks on them, and that they are also spell-protected against poison and with ironguard.
Yes, there are some private rituals that are part of the ceremony, but I can't recall anything at all about them, and don't think Ed has ever revealed much about them to us.
So off to him your post goes, to see what comes back . . .
(Be patient. He'll be heading into crunch time for the current Elminster novel, about now.)

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

dravenloft
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  00:31:32  Show Profile  Visit dravenloft's Homepage Send dravenloft a Private Message
I've a question for Ed prompted by Elminster at the Magefair.

Well, I guess more of a series of questions:

A. Just HOW did the key to one of El's closets wind up in, iirc a dragon's horde, in the first place?
B. Why did it take so very long for him to get it back?

Fantastic short story. It's always the first one I read when I figure out where my copy of Realms of Valour has hidden itself THIS time, but it leaves one curious of a few finer details. In fact, while on the subject... All that trouble over a closet, what happens if El loses the keys to his sock drawer?

Space Opera, Planetary Romance, Speculative Fiction and similar by me.
check it out at http://universal-nexus.com
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  02:58:24  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. I know the answer to your Question A is NDA, because that's been asked before at a GenCon seminar, and apparently a TSR editor asked Ed to write up a story about that, and he did, and . . . TSR is apparently sitting on it.
The B answer MIGHT be caught up in the NDA too, but I'm not sure. So off your post goes to Ed, to see what he'll cough up.
Oh, and about the sock drawer? El or Lhaeo would just knit new ones, or borrow some long dancers' stockings from Jhaele or "leg warmer" thingies from Storm.
If it was his underwear drawer, he'd just go commando.
How do I know these things?
I asked.
Years back.
No, really. (Yes, I AM that sort of a girl.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  03:20:12  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
and it would be dull around here if you were not that sort of girl THO

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

chamber101
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  04:41:12  Show Profile Send chamber101 a Private Message
In regards to the Cormyrian Weddings question above, I'd imagine the tradition of available women wearing purple ribbons would feature quite prominently about the taverns and festhalls? (And the best man would be a cat)!
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  10:28:56  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hoo boy. Hi, Damian. My brain seems a bit fuzzy this morn, but here's what little I can remember (before Ed weighs in with a proper answer, of course):

"Yes" to pomp, rings, and honeymoon
love,
THO

Many thanks for the very quick response most gracious lady. I can wait patiently for anything else Ed would like to add.

As an aside when is the next El book due out and can you give us any teasers of other novels on the way from Ed whether in the Realms or not?

Kindest regards

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  19:43:42  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Damian!
Aside from reprints and paperback rereleases, no new novels from Ed before his next Elminster book (BURY ELMINSTER DEEP, due out in hardcover at GenCon/early August 2011), but there are several short stories, including one in NEW HEROES, a Stone Skin Press (Pelgrane) anthology edited by Robin Laws, and of course one in an anthology co-edited by Ed (with Gabrielle Harbowy, who has just joined the scribes here at the Keep), from Dragon Moon Press and starring several Realms alumni (Erik Scott de Bie, Rosemary Jones, Brian Cortijo) and some other interesting names, too (Jay Lake, Todd McCaffrey), entitled WHEN THE HERO COMES HOME.
Ed tells me he's working on more WotC books and more novels for Tor. Yes, plural for both.
I suspect he has other projects he's contractually obligated not to share news of, yet.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2011 :  18:54:54  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
I have another book-related question. Aside from the chapter-head quotes in his novels and the tidbits in Silverfall and some of the Spin A Yarn tales, has Ed penned any of the interior prose of any of the many, many books he's invented for the Realms?
If so, anything he can share with us?
I'm not looking for tons of lore, just the tone and style of a line or two that someone could read out during play...
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2011 :  22:10:09  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message
Did Ed now switch to being a fantasy author? what about the game

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2011 :  22:53:04  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Maruluthu Mistrivvin, Ed has ALWAYS been a fantasy writer. From age 6.
For the last forty-ish years, he's been turning out fantasy novels and short stories constantly.
But he has also written (and published) more game material every year than (also published) fiction, and continues to do so.
With both sorts of endeavour, Ed often can't tell us about specific projects until they appear (contrat-mandated secrecy).
Yet rest assured, he's still a very busy game designer.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2011 :  16:19:58  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
I've been working through my Ed seminar notes from past GenCons (a MINE of lore hints and some hard info, too) and came across the phrase "they were busy playing Tlacrist." (context: people in a house preoccupied doing something when sneak-thief enters through an upper window, so they never noticed the break-in).
I presume Tlacrist is a game - - and I have the word spelled out in block caps, in the margin, so I know I asked Ed for the spelling, and got it from him - - but it might be a composer's name (i.e. they were playing music) or even something else (insert 'blue' something-or-other here).
So . . . enlighten, please? Share for all scribes?
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2011 :  16:42:20  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Two answers, this time . . .

Malcolm, Ed has indeed written some passages of text from various of his invented books, but when I asked him for samples to post here, he said: "Sorry, but not yet. NDA right now; waiting for something I can't talk about to be published."
Hmmm. So there, for now, you have it.

Blueblade, Tlacrist is a composer's name, AND it's a game. The folk in that burgled house were playing a game that's named for a long-dead Cormyrean prominent composer, Rellard Tlacrist, because of his habit of inventing irreverent lyrics to "go with" existing ones. (Yes, Ed invented this, years ago.)
The (parlor, not betting) game goes like this: someone recites a line or couplet of well-known verse or lyric, such as:
(to use a real-world example, from Robert Frost):
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
Now, most of us familiar with North American poetry know the next two lines very well. If we were playing Tlacrist, however, we'd have to invent replacements on the spot, incorporating a single word provided right then by another player (usually shouted out, but in older versions of the game, words were written on cards before play began, put face down in a random array, and turned up one by one during play; some families or clubs developed "favourite" groups of words that they used for years, in game after game).
So in our example, the other player calls out: "backside!"
That's the word that must appear in the next line or couplet, so our player improvises:
And many a backside now to reap
My lash makes all the maidens weep

. . . And as our example demonstrates, much Tlacrist play tends to be mildly naughty, and fueled by drinking. However, we could just as well have played a more innocent game, answering instead:
And so for home I'll softly creep
Backside warm, snores to peep

. . . Or something equally clumsy of the sort.

Interestingly, according to Ed, Tlacrist composed some marching songs and patriotic songs for the Cormyrean Court, and taught the Court scribes of the day to play this game as a way of adding new and appropirate lyrics, line by line to form new verses, to his patriotic songs (so they could readily be updated, for instance, to reflect new battle-victories or civic achievements, and new monarchs coming to the throne).

So there you have it. More potted Realmslore . . .

Ed, BTW, is hard at work on the next Elminster novel, and loving it.
so love to all,
THO

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2011 :  23:23:49  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Blueblade, Tlacrist is a composer's name, AND it's a game. The folk in that burgled house were playing a game that's named for a long-dead Cormyrean prominent composer, Rellard Tlacrist, because of his habit of inventing irreverent lyrics to "go with" existing ones. (Yes, Ed invented this, years ago.)
Hmm. I played a bit of Tlacrist with Ed following last year's Spin A Yarn at GenCon; the game involved me sending a few new couplets to end the Cormyte's Boast.

I wonder how many he'll use...
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2011 :  02:38:51  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello all,

Ed what have Canines been trained to detect over the years both mundane and magical, poisons and such, basically to counter what someone is trying to hide or creatures trying to avoid detection. I'm thinking that dwarves had certain breeds to help them detect creatures, gasses, ec cetera?
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2011 :  03:20:23  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
Hi THO,

Now that Ed seems "less" busy, I was wondering if he's volunteered anything about the astronomy questions I asked back in March (on page 29) ...
quote:
Arik's questions

I have some quick and easy questions (or more correctly, the need for some quick and easy answers) about Realmspace. I've scanned my Realms and spelljammer lore to no avail.

• Our sun's official name is "Sol" (a word with mythological roots and an ancient and complex etymology). Is there a similar astronomical name for the sun of the Realms? I'm thinking erudites wouldn't simply call it "the sun", nor use some clumsy term like "Lathander's Chariot", "Ra's Orb", etc.

• About Abeir ... does it have a moon like Selūne, does it have Tears in the sky as well?

• quote:
    THO's reply

Hi, Arik. I seem to recall Ed describing Abeir as having multiple moons. Over to him for a proper response to your queries, of course.
    Cheers

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 04 May 2011 03:21:18
    Go to Top of Page

Kuje
    Great Reader

USA
    7915 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2011 :  03:34:23  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
    I would just wait. Some of us are waiting for answers to questions we asked Ed four years ago, or even longer. Seriously guys, Ed will try to answer when he can, you'll just have to have some patience, or a lot of patience.

quote:
    Originally posted by Arik

Hi THO,

Now that Ed seems "less" busy, I was wondering if he's volunteered anything about the astronomy questions I asked back in March (on page 29) ...
    quote:
    Arik's questions

I have some quick and easy questions (or more correctly, the need for some quick and easy answers) about Realmspace. I've scanned my Realms and spelljammer lore to no avail.

• Our sun's official name is "Sol" (a word with mythological roots and an ancient and complex etymology). Is there a similar astronomical name for the sun of the Realms? I'm thinking erudites wouldn't simply call it "the sun", nor use some clumsy term like "Lathander's Chariot", "Ra's Orb", etc.

• About Abeir ... does it have a moon like Selūne, does it have Tears in the sky as well?

• quote:
    THO's reply

Hi, Arik. I seem to recall Ed describing Abeir as having multiple moons. Over to him for a proper response to your queries, of course.
    Cheers

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
    Go to Top of Page

Dennis
    Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2011 :  07:35:05  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

I even have a 1-year old question still waiting for an answer from our esteemed Ed. "Patience is a virtue..."

Every beginning has an end.
    Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
    Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2011 :  15:21:46  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message
    So. Thought passed through my mind earlier; most racial pantheons(elves, drow, dwarves, orcs, goblinkin, giants, dragons) have a clear leader. Their may be treacherous or rebellious deities, but there's no question that Corellon/Lolth/Moradin/Gruumsh is in charge.

Conversely, the main human/standard pantheon of Faerun lacks that king of hierarchy. A few greater deities may have a couple lesser deities and demigods under their authority, and a few have alliances between them, but there's no clear ruler deity; no skyfather, no godhead.

Ao doesn't count as he is lord of all the gods on Toril, not just the Faerunian pantheon.

Why is this? Is it simply because the racial pantheons tend to only have a single greater deity among them to take command? Is it because the racial pantheons have fewer members or are less diverse?

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
    - John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
    http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
    Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
    Master of Mischief

USA
    36779 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2011 :  18:19:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
    quote:
    Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

So. Thought passed through my mind earlier; most racial pantheons(elves, drow, dwarves, orcs, goblinkin, giants, dragons) have a clear leader. Their may be treacherous or rebellious deities, but there's no question that Corellon/Lolth/Moradin/Gruumsh is in charge.

Conversely, the main human/standard pantheon of Faerun lacks that king of hierarchy. A few greater deities may have a couple lesser deities and demigods under their authority, and a few have alliances between them, but there's no clear ruler deity; no skyfather, no godhead.

Ao doesn't count as he is lord of all the gods on Toril, not just the Faerunian pantheon.

Why is this? Is it simply because the racial pantheons tend to only have a single greater deity among them to take command? Is it because the racial pantheons have fewer members or are less diverse?

One difference is that racial pantheons tend to be families. Another is that with racial pantheons, there are less deities that come in from outside of the group (interlopers from elsewhere; deities that arose without assistance from the main pantheon, etc).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
    http://www.candlekeep.com
    -- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
    Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
    Senior Scribe

USA
    804 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2011 :  19:26:05  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
    Seems less busy, Arik?
    When he's racing to get an Elminster novel written by mid-May?
    What is this "less busy" you speak of?
    BB
    Go to Top of Page

gomez
    Learned Scribe

Netherlands
    254 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2011 :  19:53:59  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
    I am going through a collection of Ed's Realms tales, and just finished with 'one comes, unheralded, to Zirta'.
    I have to say I am really flabbergasted that this was written by an 8-year old.
    Was it adapted? I ask only cause I can't fathom what Ed was exposed to in order to write of heaving bosoms, lurid verses and laying banshees at that age... Though I may have been too sheltered - I didn't think of that kind of stuff until I was well in my teens (and didn't stop thinking of it since then).

As to fledling writers... I had a bit of prose put up in a LFR blog (my second one), a bit scrolling down :

http://community.wizards.com/lfr/blog/2011/05/04/origins_battle_interactive:_adcp3-2_from_dawn_till_dusk

(My second bit, the other one is at: http://community.wizards.com/lfr/blog/2010/09/06/dale2-3:_hearts_in_shadow_teaser )

It is not much, but I hope it speaks, and I figured I could as well post a link in hope that if Ed ever reads it, he is willing to give me his honest (and hopefully gentle) opinion.

Gomez
    Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2011 :  20:42:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
    gomez, Ed lost his mother when very young, and was already a "bookish" sort. A child prodigy, it's still sometimes called. He was earning income from his writing (nothing to do with the Realms or gaming) by age seven.
    Most importantly, he'd read EVERY SINGLE BOOK in his father's den long since, by then (starting around age 4, apparently), which included many books that were "adult" in various senses of the word. He was also aping the content and to some exten the style of a lot of the pulp adventure tales he'd been reading (again, from his father's collection), and that's where a lot of those heaving bosoms come from.
    (No, boys; mine didn't heave back then.)
    love,
    THO
    Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
    Great Reader

USA
    3240 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2011 :  21:24:53  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
    quote:

gomez, Ed lost his mother when very young, and was already a "bookish" sort. A child prodigy, it's still sometimes called. He was earning income from his writing (nothing to do with the Realms or gaming) by age seven.
    Most importantly, he'd read EVERY SINGLE BOOK in his father's den long since, by then (starting around age 4, apparently), which included many books that were "adult" in various senses of the word. He was also aping the content and to some exten the style of a lot of the pulp adventure tales he'd been reading (again, from his father's collection), and that's where a lot of those heaving bosoms come from.
    (No, boys; mine didn't heave back then.)
    love,
    THO

I'm sure there were SOME moments when they heaved.

*ahem*

Back on topic (not that I mind the distraction of LHO ...), is there any plans for a "Celebrity" game this year that Ed may partake in like the game last year with Matt James?

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
    Go to Top of Page

The Sage
    Procrastinator Most High

Australia
    31701 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2011 :  01:24:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
    quote:

... and that's where a lot of those heaving bosoms come from.
    Now there's an image that'll carry me through the day.

My thanks, Lady.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
    http://www.candlekeep.com
    -- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
    Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
    Great Reader

USA
    3750 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2011 :  04:50:08  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
    Wow. I now have more respect for Ed than ever. My first attempts as writing were not nearly so mature or polished. A prodigy indeed!

I've an unusual question for Ed. I've read that some people in the Realms keep tressyms as pets- are there any special "breeds" of these flying felines, and do people train them for any special tricks or purposes? I'd like to know more about these creatures, especially about how they are raised, and if there are specific breeders of them.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
    http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
    http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
    Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
    Senior Scribe

USA
    804 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2011 :  15:33:17  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
    Hi. Obviously I'm not Ed or THO, but I happened to be eavesdropping (hanging out with and listening to) Ed at a Phantasm (the annual tiny Peterborough, Ontario gaming con) years back when someone asked him about tressym breeds and breeding.

According to my notes, Ed said they like dwelling with and near and being around people [humans, halflings, gnomes, elves, half-elves] but don't seem to want to breed if caged or kept from flying [e.g. wings clipped]. Some people have tried to breed for specific markings, hues of fur, etc. with fair success by just putting specific tressym together, but it's up to the tressym. Yes, there are breeds that have some different body features, but they're very rare, wild, and seldom seen.

That's all I've got, so like you I'll be waiting for Ed or THO to say more.
    (I'm still amazed by just how much Ed THINKS through, all the little details, even though I've seen evidence of his doing so again and again.)
    BB
    Go to Top of Page
    Page: of 60 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
    Previous Page | Next Page
     New Topic  Topic Locked
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
    Snitz Forums 2000