Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 60

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2011 :  19:33:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Ashe, I've asked Ed about that...and he just doesn't know. He says these things tend to shake down much closer to the con, if past years are any judge.
(Yes, I KNOW that's frustrating to anyone trying to work out a packed con schedule in advance. Sorry.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2011 :  04:11:04  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
Interesting, although I wasn't thinking of clipping wings or caging them- just having "tressym catteries" or people who simply keep unusual breeds as pets and breed them for profit or because they want to develop new markings, body-traits, or what-have-you. Might we see tressym versions of a Siamese or Scottish Fold? That would be interesting to me- hearing what sort of unique or rare types have cropped up, when, where, and how. (Were they purposely bred, or just occur spontaneously and later increased?)

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2011 :  22:48:27  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

So. Thought passed through my mind earlier; most racial pantheons(elves, drow, dwarves, orcs, goblinkin, giants, dragons) have a clear leader. Their may be treacherous or rebellious deities, but there's no question that Corellon/Lolth/Moradin/Gruumsh is in charge.

Conversely, the main human/standard pantheon of Faerun lacks that king of hierarchy. A few greater deities may have a couple lesser deities and demigods under their authority, and a few have alliances between them, but there's no clear ruler deity; no skyfather, no godhead.

Ao doesn't count as he is lord of all the gods on Toril, not just the Faerunian pantheon.

Why is this? Is it simply because the racial pantheons tend to only have a single greater deity among them to take command? Is it because the racial pantheons have fewer members or are less diverse?

One difference is that racial pantheons tend to be families. Another is that with racial pantheons, there are less deities that come in from outside of the group (interlopers from elsewhere; deities that arose without assistance from the main pantheon, etc).

Alrighty then. So, for THO, was this how Ed originally intended it, or was there to be a leader among the gods?

Also, unrelated question; has cruxifiction ever been a popular method of execution on Toril? If so, where & when?

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2011 :  00:26:41  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message
I have three questions for Ed. Two are focused on worship and the nature of divinity in the Realms. The third is focused on divine spell casters.

It seems obvious to me that there is no real notion of 'faith' in the Realms, as we'd understand it in the real world - it's impossible to doubt their existence due to the myriad of ways they manifest themselves in the world. (It ranges from dream visions, to minor manifestations of their power, to the occasional avatar, to the divine power wielded by their priests, etc.)

However, the nature of belief is quite different from faith. It's possible to understand that something exists, but have a different conception of that being than someone else. The most obvious example involves Lathander and his various heresies.

In Powers and Pantheons it was theorized how belief could potentially shape a deity... which brings me to my first question.

How much power does popular belief actually have on a deity?

This question is important as it determines the level of free will a deity has - if popular beliefs change over time, does it mean the deity changes with it? Just to what degree can a deity shape the beliefs of its worshipers?

Is ascension to divinity similar to being a prisoner to your own power? For example, do you ascend to divinity only to learn that you have amazing cosmic powers, but it comes at a price: your freedom? (And thus you'd find yourself shaped and beholden to your worshipers and your portfolios.)

--------

The second half of my question involves actual religious practices and worship within the Realms.

It is very clear that the Realms is largely a Polytheistic culture. We get a large overhead view of religion in the Realms through the various source books devoted to such things, but my interest is what worship is like on a local level. I understand things may differ from culture to culture, and so this question is primarily directed at Faerûn and its pantheon.

We've seen a lot of pantheon hopping among the deities. Sharess used to be called Bhast and be part of the Mulhorandi Pantheon, and has overtime undergone a metamorphosis into her current persona. Talos used to be called Kozah and was worshiped by the Netherese. He has likewise undergone a metamorphosis... Shar and Selûne, likewise worshiped among the Netherese have changed over time as well.

This appears to be a common theme in the Realms. I am getting a very strong Roman vibe from Faerûnians, in which they absorb gods and goddesses when they incorporate foreign peoples into their local culture. As a result, while there may be popular myths and beliefs about certain deities, on a local level you end up with odd overlap and contradiction.

Among the Romans worship was free-form, and their deities were polymorphic in nature (possessing multiple forms, personae, attributes, or aspects). Thus a virgin deity in one aspect could be a mother in another. Any deity could potentially be a manifestation of a number of other deities, though of course not everyone would agree about the particulars.

In our culture and modern world, we often view things through a monotheistic lens. Orthodoxy is important in the three largest monotheistic religions (Islam, Christianity, and Judaism). However, among the Romans and virtually every other polytheistic culture the right belief (orthodoxy) wasn't stressed nearly to the degree it is in monotheism.

Instead, the trend was toward orthopraxy, where correct rituals and actions were stressed instead. These rituals were viewed as fulfilling obligations, and if done correctly the deities would bless their worshipers. The relationship between a deity and their worshiper was seen as reciprocal. (I do X for the gods, and the gods do Y for me.)

A failure to act in a certain way or perform a certain ritual could incur the wrath of the gods.

Thus, in the Realms if a plague happens people suddenly begin praying to Talona - after all a plague would be viewed as failure to appease her and now mortals have incurred her wrath. Conversely, if a military commander lost a battle he may be accused of failing to properly appease Red Knight or Tempus (or both). Or if there is a crop failure, then it must be a failure to appease Chauntea, and thus she did not bless the land to be plentiful. Etc. etc.

This brings me to my second question.

Does orthodoxy play a large role in the worship of the deities (from a local perspective)?

--------

My final question: Do all priests / clergy of the various faiths have divine spell casting ability?

In other words, are there some priests / clergy of the various faiths that are simply mundane people who tend to the faithful and conduct various rituals? Or when someone encounters a priest of a deity will they always possess some measure of divine spell casting ability?

Thanks for any answers you can give, Ed. I apologize for the length of my post, but I'm curious as to whether my conception of the Realms and its deities and worshipers is incorrect.
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2011 :  04:38:45  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Great, thats what the Realms need: insane chocolate point Siamese tressym.
Pass, no thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2011 :  07:01:19  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
Aw, come on, a Siamese tressym would be so lovable! Or maybe a Persian? Long fur might make it harder to fly, but..... (Or a cute Scottish Fold version!)

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2011 :  07:35:45  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Ed,

Are there regular-size cats with wings in the Realms. I find them so cute. [I want to own a pet like Happy, a flying cat in the anime Fairy Tail]

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2011 :  08:17:49  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
There are certainly "winged cats" in Zakhara. Got the Monster Compendium sheets to prove it too. So it'd not be entirely out of the question for some of those to have been brought over to Var the Golden, Halruaa, or one of the other nations on the coast of the Shining Sea.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2011 :  10:02:11  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Which page? I only see werecats on page 93, [and they aren't winged].

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2011 :  11:48:42  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
It's in one of the 2nd edition supplements. Based on which pdfs I bought (when that was still possible), City of Delights

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 09 May 2011 11:49:28
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2011 :  12:08:35  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Thanks, Kajehase!

I'll check my unread piles later and see if it's there.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2011 :  12:30:50  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Finally found it.

I enjoyed reading that very short story about the sorcerer winged cat on pages 79-80. The twist feels fairy tale-ish. I didn't expect that there are sorcerers in their lot.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2011 :  12:59:00  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Thanks, Kajehase!

Despite the impression some threads might give (of Candlekeep being set up to argue about whether you're allowed to like this or that Realms-product), helping other fans of the setting find information and discussing it is what we're here for.

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2011 :  13:56:45  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

So. Thought passed through my mind earlier; most racial pantheons(elves, drow, dwarves, orcs, goblinkin, giants, dragons) have a clear leader. Their may be treacherous or rebellious deities, but there's no question that Corellon/Lolth/Moradin/Gruumsh is in charge.

Conversely, the main human/standard pantheon of Faerun lacks that king of hierarchy.

(...)

So, for THO, was this how Ed originally intended it, or was there to be a leader among the gods?

I'm not THO, and I'm far from being so charming, but I think I can add some lore here. First of all, we must remember we're considering different pantheons, and only the "human" pantheon, as far as I know, was conceived by Ed. In fact, the Seldarine, the Morndinsamman and the other pantheons were created for the original AD&D setting, and added to the Forgotten Realms later.

In the 1e gray box it is implied that the gods are the same for all races, and so Tempus would be the Greater Power of War in Faerûn, manifesting himself as Proud Human Warrior for humans, as a Huge Dwarven Warrior to the Stout Folk, and as a Great Elven Warrior to the Fair Folk, for example.

However, most of the info you need, with explanations about the reasons for the Faerûnian pantheon having so many greater powers, how the pantheon was conceived, and the role of its priests, is on the Article "Down-to-Earth Divinity", authored by Ed and published in Dragon Magazine # 54. It is also interesting to see that originally some deities had other names, and you can find out from where Ed took their inspiration (like Nobanion/ Aslan).

Here are two interesting citations from the article:

"In my case, I wanted all of the outer planes to have ruling deities (a la Lolth’s rule of a plane of the Abyss in Q1). This precludes the Nordic bunching of gods in Gladsheim, the Greek grouping of gods in Olympus, and Leiber’s grouping of gods in Godsland. A few planes, notably the Prime Material, would be 'no man’s land,' ruled by no deity. Moreover, I wanted no direct Egyptian, Mayan, Chinese, Greek or suchlike mythological stamp on my pantheon, preferring instead a vaguely Norse/Celtic/'old faerie England' flavor."

"Later additions to official AD&D material such as the 'Elder Elemental Gods' mentioned in module D1, the 'Elemental Princes of Evil' in T2, and the Gods of Greyhawk, will no doubt cause some modifications in the pantheon. The four elemental gods from the Melnibonean mythos in the DDG, for instance, may be discarded if Gygax’s elementals conflict. As presented in the DDG, however, the four fit nicely with information in the Monster Manual.

All nonhumans’ deities, plus Thrym and Surtur of the Norse mythos, from the DDG, have been adopted. Dryads worship Mielikki, treants worship Grome and Rillifane Rallathil, and nymphs worship Eldath (they believe she is the source of the power to kill those who look upon their naked forms). The dominant (human) race has the largest and most varied pantheon — a logical expression of the variety of beliefs and interests which has made the race dominant."

Notes: DDG = 1e Deities and Demigods/ D1, Q1 and T2 = 1e adventures/ Grome is the Melnibonean elemental earth lord, substituted later by Grumbar

Of all I read, it seems there was no intention of a leader for all the pantheon, maybe to keep some balance over different planes and alignments. Besides, greater powers would not be creators and leaders of their pantheons, as it was with the demihuman pantheons, but the representative of major concepts or ideas (not specific), like love, war, magic, and justice. Just like in the citation of the 2e box:

"Greater Powers: The greater powers are the most powerful deities (...) of the Realms, and their portfolios (areas of control and influence) are generally widespread and cover several large areas."

Well, I hope I have helped somehow, and I'm sure THO or Ed can add something as soon as they can. Best regards!

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 09 May 2011 16:06:44
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2011 :  16:20:30  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
The Ed Greenwood Presents: Waterdeep, Book I looks nice.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2011 :  18:23:23  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message
How do letters get from place to place? I'm specifically asking about the Moonsea in the 1350s, but general info is always abundantly welcome.

I stumbled upon a similar solution as the James boys and Rich Baker when dealing the Phlan locales. Any named location (Sokol Keep, Valjevo Castle, Podol Plaza, et al) probably represents a family or some sort. So, I have Heron Valjevo who is no longer on the council with not overly much to do. He's been involved in horse-breeding, so I thought some sort of pony express might make sense.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2011 :  19:13:28  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
quote:

Ed,

Are there regular-size cats with wings in the Realms. I find them so cute. [I want to own a pet like Happy, a flying cat in the anime Fairy Tail]

That would be the tressym I asked about. They are the size of normal cats, with feathery bat-like wings.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2011 :  19:46:51  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Bat-like wings? I was hoping for feathery. Cute creatures such as cats should have feathery wings, not the hideous bat-like ones.

In City of Delights, winged cats are not called tressyms, but jana-qitat (lesser) and jana-nimar (great). Is tressym a new name given to them? Or are they different?

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2011 :  19:59:59  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

quote:

Ed,

That would be the tressym I asked about. They are the size of normal cats, with FEATHERY bat-like wings.

I guess you missed that part. Like if bats had feathers, which is sort of weird, but still cute. And the name comes from the old 2nd ed Monstrous Compendium volume they first appeared in. They are also mentioned in the 3.5 FRCS, I believe. In the back, under monster entries, along with Rothe and Flying Snakes.

My stories:

Edited by - Alystra Illianniis on 09 May 2011 20:02:34
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2011 :  00:05:18  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Hey Madam Hoody or Ed,

May I please have more information about the location
of Lanthalas's Requiem in the Stonelands?
In addition, my lady: Have you any notes on the House of
Mysteries outside Elventree.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2011 :  01:19:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Fellow scribes, let's try to keep the non Ed-related chatter to other scrolls, eh?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2011 :  12:35:57  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
Hi, Ed and THO.

In another scroll, Cronje wrote this:

"I was browsing the first edition Forgotten Realms Campaign Set and noticed that, in the Dove Falconhand entry, she was a worshiper of Mielikki. Aside from this source, is there any other reference to her worshiping Mielikki? Does she worship both Mielikki and Mystra? Did she change deities at some point?"

Some people answered, and among the answers that was _Jarlaxle_'s saying it is common for someone to worship more than one deity, my question about TSR indicating deities in their 1e material based solely on alignment & class, Thauramarth's reference on Seven Sisters, where it is said that Dove prays to Mystra to receive her spells, and BEAST's noticing that The Code of the Harpers says that she was SECRETLY one of Mystra's Chosen, and noting that she was known to prefer melee over magic.

So, Dove Falconhand worships both deities, or there is anything else to add here?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2011 :  11:31:22  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,

I've a few questions about Returned Abeir.

Do the natives of Laerakond have a calendar of their own? If so, how is it called and what's their current year in 1479 DR?

The FRCG mentions dragonbane amber. What are its properties, how does it look, and for what can it be used?

Many thanks in advance!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2011 :  22:56:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, again, all!
Ed has now turned in the first draft of the third 4e Elminster novel (the sequel to ELMINSTER MUST DIE! And BURY ELMINSTER DEEP), and has accordingly found time to look at my e-mails again.
So he’s come up with an answer for Barastir, Cronje, and others about who Dove Falconhand worships, and why . . .

Ed replies:

Hi, everyone. Cronje, from the very beginning, the Realms was (and is!) polytheistic. Every intelligent creature “believed in” ALL of the gods, goddesses, demigods, and various divine servitors (exarches, “Chosen,” et al), and ALMOST every intelligent creature worshipped MANY of the deities (the exceptions being “fanatics,” including priests and sometimes paladins dedicated to a single deity).
So your typical merchant sailor would worship Tymora (for good luck), Waukeen (for prosperous voyages), Talos (so as to keep storms at bay, and provide “good” winds), Valkur or Shaundakul (for safe navigation), and Umberlee (to keep the sea “friendly, keep from being drowned or shipwrecked or attacked by sea monsters, etc.). Some offerings/prayers were positive (“Tymora, be with me now!”) and some were to mollify/turn aside the wrath of deities (“please don’t drown me, Umberlee!”).
This applied to the entire Realms. All sentient races and individuals.

As Thauramarth correctly pointed out, most individuals in the Realms will logically have a “patron deity,” which is simply the deity that they pray most often to/pay most heed to the priestly dictates of, USUALLY as a result of their profession (Chauntea for farmers, Tempus for warriors, etc.). That’s NOT the same as saying “Person X ONLY believes in, obeys, and worships their patron deity.”

Now, from the outset, some designers/writers and some fans/gamers didn’t understand this, or didn’t want to (cleaving instead to “there’s only one god” thinking), so some Realms canon reflects such an attitude.
When it applies to an individual character/creature, this approach is fine, and it’s perfectly okay to have a “state religion” for a country or city-state, if you prefer. The conflicts between various racial pantheons, and between deities (and their followers) are an integral part of the game; no one has to accept one set of beliefs as “true” and others as “false.”
However, to understand the entire tapestry of the Realms, as I created it at the outset and have gone on “filling it in” ever since, it’s important to accept that people IN THE REALMS “know” that there are lots of deities, that they’re ALL “real,” and that they fight among themselves but are all “greater” than mortals.
People in the Realms don’t believe that one priest or priesthood is telling the truth and that all others are wrong - - and most people in the Realms, if they were told that, say, Landurl the Potter only worships Gond (or any particular deity), would think that Landurl was either crazy, or at least “odd,” or that Landurl must have had a personal vision from Gond that’s making Landrul act in this strange way (that’s the “accepted wisdom” for why someone is a priest: they got a person altar vision, or dream vision when sleeping, in which the deity spoke to them personally, requesting their service - - and they accepted). Worshipping all relevant deities is the accepted norm.

When Lord Karsus comments on the “fuzziness” of these concepts, that’s true for published Realms products, but not for my original and ongoing concept of the Realms. Gamers who’ve attended my GenCon seminars from the beginning of the published Realms, and designers who’ve seen my original 1986 mammoth Realms turnover to TSR, know that this general polytheism, AND details of “who prays to whom” regarding specific characters of my devising, haven’t changed from 1967 on. It’s a case of “development” only in print, not in thinking. Or to put it another way, of what’s revealed out of what has been there all along.

So, Dove Falconhand is indeed a worshipper of Mielikki. She’s a ranger, and Mielikki (in her place and time) is the primary deity for rangers.
She is also a daughter of Mystra (who possessed her mortal human mother), AND a “Chosen” servant of Mystra, who has some of Mystra’s divine essence (“silver fire”) inside her. She has also worshipped Mystra, from birth. (And Eldath, and Silvanus, and . . .)
So, yes, she DOES worship both Mielikki and Mystra (and this is considered logical and normal by most folk in the Realms), and she has never “changed deities” to do so.
As Jarlaxle pointed out, Dove’s younger sister Qilué worshipped two deities (Mystra and Eilistraee) and was a Chosen of both (her individual situation is different than Dove’s, but that’s a whole other topic).
BEAST is correct to point out that Dove was “secretly” a Chosen. Dove prefers the sword to spells, and being a ranger (and a loner) to being part of the clergy of Mystra, so her status was kept largely secret for years, by mutual choice (that is, hers and Mystra’s) so she could operate more effectively (low-level Zhents, for example, thought of her as a meddling Harper, NOT a Chosen of Mystra who might meddle in what Zhent wizards were up to). It’s not a matter of shame or keeping up appearances or lack of acceptance by anyone’s clergy (Mystra’s Chosen don’t have to obey Mystra’s clergy or even the goddess herself, as seen in the cases of Sammaster and . . . well, let’s just say there are two minor revelations about that in the Elminster book I just turned in.)

And to answer your followup query, Dove appears in SILVERFALL and in the Knights of Myth Drannor trilogy, as well as making cameos throughout the Shandril Saga. As well as popping up in Bob’s novel SOJOURN. (Bob likes to use the Seven, - - Alustriel, for example - - and I like to see what he does with them.)

Now, PRIESTHOODS in the Realms DO tend to be exclusive. Dennis was right when he pointed out that “One can't expect a priestess to worship both Shar and Selune at the same time.”
However, one COULD expect that a lawless anarchist smuggler who makes night “light boat” runs between Westgate and Sembia, and is a woman wanting either to get pregnant or avoid pregnancy, might very well actively pray to both Shar (evil, overthrow of authority and lawkeeping, triumph over lawkeepers) and Selune (safe night navigation, control over menses) at the same time.
Some priesthoods (Helm, Tyr, Torm . . . and Silvanus/Eldath/Mieliiki) do tend to cooperate, and their clergy can often freely venerate more than one deity. Higher-level clerics tend not to, and often discourage other clergy from doing so, on very mortal (“human nature”) loyalty/power grounds.

The most comprehensive deity overview, BTW, began with FAITHS & AVATARS, written by Julia Martin and Eric L. Boyd, based in part on a LOT of my until-then-unpublished lore about deities and their clergies. It had two sequels, and there have been 3e updates, one of them being FAITHS & PANTHEONS, which has enough of a title overlap with two of the 2e sourcebooks that younger gamers (that is, those who came into the hobby after the 2e books were out of print and increasingly rarer, as opposed to older gamers who saw the 2e books as they came out) often get them all confused with each other.

I hope of all this helps. Now I have to plunge back into paying bills and writing all the projects that have piled up as I got this novel draft done. Time, never enough TIME . . .
Hugs to all,
Ed

So there you have it; Ed’s definitive reply. And reading it over, I feel moved to remind other scribes that Ed created not just the Realms, but all the deities and characters he mentions (or in the case of Mielikki and Silvanus, the Realms “portrayals” of them), as well as the concept of “Chosen.”
love to all,
THO

Go to Top of Page

bladeinAmn
Learned Scribe

199 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2011 :  05:57:29  Show Profile  Visit bladeinAmn's Homepage Send bladeinAmn a Private Message
It's my turn to ask Ed a question! Which he can answer at his own leisure, of course!

Dear Ed of the Greenwood & THO, I have questions.

I recently purchased a hardcover of Bram Stoker's Dracula (for exactly $1.00! It's copyright is 1994, yet it feels new! The pages even 'smell' new!), and juss began reading it over the past wknd! On pg. 2 it reads: "I read that every known superstition in the world is gathered into the horseshoe of the Carpathians, as if it were the centre of some sort of imaginative whirlpool..."

And on pg. 4 it reads: " 'It is the eve of St George's Day. Do you not know that when the clock strikes midnight, all the evil things in the world will have full sway?'..."

And finally on pg. 5 it reads: "They were evidently talking of me, for every now and then they looked at me.......one being Slovak and the other Servian for something that is either were-wolf or vampire. (Mem., I must ask the Count about these superstitions.)"

My questions are as follows:

1) Is there a habitated place on Faerun (2e-3e timeline) where the citizens have a day like St George's Day, where they believe that 'all the evil things in the world will have full sway' on the said day like how the folk of Bistritz in "Dracula" have it? I personally doubt such a place would be like, let's say in Amn ("Ahem! Unless of course the black day is that of when we & our fellow traders all forget how to count our ledgers & coffers! Bwah-ha ha ha haaaa!"), but perhaps in Damara, Narfell, Western Heartlands, or perhaps there is indeed a community like that in Amn for all I know!

2) Is there a habitated place on Faerun (again in the 2e-3e timeline) where creatures such as werewolves, vampires, other powerful undead, & dragons are regarded as myth? So much so that folk who talk of such creatures are laughed to scorn (akin to like if a dude reported seeing such things on Earth to their disbelieving friends)?

3) As you already know, in Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, there are vampires in the city of Athkatla. My question here deals more with the 'high society' of Athkatla. First, the situation I'm creating in my current campaign is that a typical corrupt Athkatlan bureacrat has met a vampire once, and is now trying to manipulate it to do its bidding while failing to do what the vampire seeks, citing its weakness of not being a daywalking vampire & the Radiant Heart's fearsome reputation, the strong Lathander clery's presence in the city, and his own security team. The corrupt bureaucrat thinks he has the upper hand, citing a vampire's bat transformation as naught but legend, or something only elite vampires can do.

My question is how would you describe a typical corrupt Athkatlan bureaucrat's reaction to if the vampire managed to organize its body to be Fed Ex'd in a crate into the said bureacrat's house, juss before dark? Keep in mind, this isn't a bigwig on the Council of Six, but rather juss a typical corrupt underling -I'm seeking a 'typical' reaction. Who better to ask than the creator of our beloved Forgotten Realms, eh?

I've read THO's last post, totally understand you're busy, so only answer at your own leisure. I've a good imagination on my own, so I'll be able to 'complete' this scenario on my own, in due time.

Denn die todten reiten schnell!

Edited by - bladeinAmn on 17 May 2011 06:01:02
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2011 :  12:24:02  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi, again, all!
Ed (...) c(a)me up with an answer for Barastir, Cronje, and others about who Dove Falconhand worships, and why . . .

Thank you, dear lady THO, and once again I please ask you to thank Ed in our stead.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2011 :  13:56:01  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Over at a different "Ask this person thread" on the Paizo messageboards, this came up:

quote:
originally posted on April 27, 2011 by Andrew Crossett

Also, have you met Ed Greenwood? He has a fondness for girls like you. Ask him to introduce you to Storm Silverhand sometime.

quote:
originally posted on April 27, 2011 by Merisiel Sillvari
Haven't met this Ed character... should I be flattered or frightened?

Has Ed got anything to comment?

(To those who don't know, Merisiel is the iconic Paizo-rogue, and in this case puppeted by James Jacobs.)

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2011 :  16:41:20  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Rhewtani, re. this: "How do letters get from place to place? I'm specifically asking about the Moonsea in the 1350s, but general info is always abundantly welcome."
I can answer this from my own knowledge as a player in Ed's home campaign, and by paraphrasing many replies I've heard and read Ed giving, down the years.
Letters are primarily carried by caravans. You pay a fee (typically 1 sp to 5 gp, depending on size and fragility/care of handling needed) to the "master" of a passing caravan, who typically has it in "his" wagon, in the keeping of his/her amanuensis (clerk/paymaster), who travels with him/her and may in some cases be his/her spouse, son, or daughter. If the master is part of trading coster or priakos, the entire organization assumes responsibility for delivery (and letter-writers sending messages they know will likely have to go by sea by part of the trip, to arrive in a timely way, will choose masters who are officially part of the coster or priakos they favor).
There are no guarantees of delivery, and it's EXPECTED that others (like the caravan staff) will read the missive along the way. So, no enclosing valuables (that's handled with the far more expensive shipping sealed "handcoffers" method, and sometimes notes or letters get put in handcoffers, of course), and much use of cryptic or semi-coded speech ("Samran says the olive crop will be bad, but your new plantings are flourishing" - - which of course doesn't mean anything to do with olives or growing things being planted, at all).
Many local waterproofing remedies (waxing or other paper treatments, special inks, etc,) are employed.
Heralds and minstrels and bards also take payment to deliver coded messages (often slipped inside a lute or yarting, and accessed by removing the strings and reaching in through the sound-hole) and verbal-only messages. As do Harpers, for their friends and members, and traveling clergy and peddlers. Waukeen's clerics deliver messages (for pickup) from temple to temple, for regular fees.
That's all I can recall of the top of ye olde noggin right now. I hope this helps...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The_Silversword
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2011 :  11:38:30  Show Profile Send The_Silversword a Private Message
Last gaming session the players got done quicker than I thought and I quickly needed a location to throw at them for the next leg of their quest and for some reason Procampur popped into my head so its off to Procampur! The problem being that the 4e Realms guide gives virtually no information on Procampur other than a mention of the Orthodox Church of Oghma. Comparing the 4e map to the older maps its looks like the entire city has moved several miles to the south, I realize that the Spellplague and the draining of the Sea of Fallen Stars would change the area up some, but it still seems like a heck of a move. So I guess the docks would be on the south side of the city now? And would they have reorganized the different districts to correspond to the location of the new docks? Is there still alot of gem mining done in the area? I had always assumed that they had mines in the mountains to the north, but it looks as if they moved further away from the mountains. So did the city really move that much or is the map just a little off? Sorry thats more than one question, I guess my main question for Ed (or anyone for that matter) is if there are any tid bits you could share on Procampur, coat of arms, popular food and drinks, how the city has changed after the Spellplague, anything? I wasn't sure where to post this at but I figure as far as the Realms go Eds the man!

I survived the Spellplague and all I got was this stupid sig.

Edited by - The_Silversword on 22 May 2011 11:39:47
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2011 :  16:01:52  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message
A multi-part question for Ed, regarding culinary habits of the Chosen of Mystra:

1) In ranking order, what is the cooking skill of the Chosen? Who is the best chef among them, and who is the worst? And just how good and bad are they? For example, the difference between cooking something bland and tasteless but still edible, or an absolutely ruined... "thing" (probably the easiest word to use to describe it, since calling it food would certainly be an overstatement). Both are very different categories of "worst" in terms of culinary skills.

2) What sort of meals do they prefer most often? I'd imagine that their preferences might shift every few decades or so as new recipes come into habit and old ones fall out of habit, but have their been any particularly overriding or long-running themes?

3) What is the favourite dish of each individual Chosen? Again, I imagine that these probably change, so as of the thirty years leading up to 1370 DR would be plenty.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 60 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000