Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Best battle scene.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Archer3
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2002 :  20:03:34  Show Profile  Visit Archer3's Homepage Send Archer3 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I want to know in your opinion what was the best battle scene you've read in the FR books.

-Archer3

king-tiax
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2002 :  21:22:06  Show Profile  Visit king-tiax's Homepage Send king-tiax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ANy battle in A Dwarven Enclave is the best in my opinion.

My name is Tiax, I would ask yours but I don't care to become aquainted with the dead.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2002 :  10:02:39  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow thats a really good question!

Im not too big a fan of battle scenes, they have to be written by a very talented author to keep the interest.

Im really going to have to give this some though ::looks over to all FR novels on bookshelf to recall memory:: and get back to this topic.

The battles in "The Seige" were very good, and "Horselords" for mass battles. "In Sylvan Shadows" had some good scenes too, that book was more or less battle after battle after
battle!

For more individual battles Ill have to say that RA Salvatore did some excellent descriptions with Drizzt in many of his books (im not going to mention a particular one).

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Mahonar
Acolyte

Italy
9 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2002 :  16:47:44  Show Profile  Visit Mahonar's Homepage Send Mahonar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
a Scene i LOVE is the one when Artemis Entreri and Drizzt fight together shoulder-to-shoulder against a lot of gray dwarves, in the Silver Streams book :P. They use a strange rotating dance tactic that i wuold like to introduce in my campaign (using a feat or something else :P). RA you're the best! :*

________

If this is progress, help me to regress.
Go to Top of Page

king-tiax
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2002 :  21:36:37  Show Profile  Visit king-tiax's Homepage Send king-tiax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always pictured A battle. 'Atoft the Red Citadell, Night, Raining, Erkenbrand standing on the flat roof, faceing Bracmar', wow, sounds good.

My name is Tiax, I would ask yours but I don't care to become aquainted with the dead.

Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2002 :  22:26:51  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some of the best battle scenes I remember were between Drizzt amd Zaknaffein.

Apart from that some of Horde series of books had some very good ones and I seem to remember some in the Shou-Lung books (I can't remember their names).
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2002 :  22:28:15  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a LOT of favorites, but I can't remember a time I was more enthused than the mid-way battle Drizzt has with those half-orcs in Sea of Swords who are trying to rape Dellie Curtie...

I think though, that Salvatore's Siege of Darkness is my favorite for sheer battle excellence in writing. It is simply wonderful....the entire novel gives the reader such a battle high.....the whole way through.

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Archer3
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2002 :  00:36:24  Show Profile  Visit Archer3's Homepage Send Archer3 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The best battle scene i think i've read is when Wulfgar got Aeiges-Fang back when he was behind the wall of ice and broke through while Drittz and the gang where fighting Ertuu. And he unleshed hell on Ertuu.

-Archer3
Go to Top of Page

ArcticKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2002 :  01:05:18  Show Profile  Visit ArcticKnight's Homepage Send ArcticKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first of tons that come to mind is when Drizzt,Wulfgar and Guen are "having fun" in the verbeeg lair.

"The man who does not read has little advantage over the man who cannot read."

Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2002 :  06:24:20  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think ALL the battles that Drizzt had were pretty good myself, but look at me, lol, i'm all about drizzt soooo.....
Probably for me was when Drizzt supposedly "died" in Servant of the Shard, when they were in the crystal tower at the end, and Drizzt faced off against Artemis, really good. But there were alot of other really good ones.
The Great Drizzt

"Don't poke Drizzt, 'tis highly unsociable!" Drizzt Do'Urden -BG1
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2002 :  15:10:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings, and well met...

I remember several battle scenes which I consider, in my opinion of course, to be some of the best.

R A Salvatore's battle scenes are worth the mention, the intensity with which he writes the battle scenes makes the characters more alive and more realistic.

Emotion, to me plays a big part in RAS writings on battle. Two prominent scenes which clearly jump into my mind, are both from "The Halfling's Gem'

The first was towards the end of the book in the sewers of Calimport in battle with the wererats, when Cattie-Brie was struck down, and Wulfgar went on the rampage, the emotion and anger, and rage attributed to Wulfgar in that scene was quite well written, you could easily feel the characters rage, and I found myself feeling sympathy for the wererat at the end of the tunnel who watched an enraged Wulfgar approaching and didn't prepare his weapon in time.

The second was just a short time later, the fight scene between Artemis and Drizzt, the first battle in the sewers, was for me not just a good battle scene, but a battle of differing principles, of course the battle carried on from that point, and perhaps that is what makes RAS's battle scenes so realistic, the fact that they are not resolved too easily, and sometimes without a clear victor.

Well thats it for now, until next time...

"Mend your speech a little
lest it may mar you fortunes
" - 'King Lear' by William Shakespeare

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

king-tiax
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2002 :  20:18:17  Show Profile  Visit king-tiax's Homepage Send king-tiax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, the Harflings gem, that sounds good, I have got to get it, whats it like.

Go to Top of Page

Archer3
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2002 :  21:31:10  Show Profile  Visit Archer3's Homepage Send Archer3 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Halflings Gem was the best book out of the Icewind Dale trilogy. Like they said when Drittz and Aertemis faced off in the sewers that was an awesome fight. and when Wulfgar got pissed..what books out of that trilogy have u read?

-Archer3
Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2002 :  08:07:51  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a question, can anyone spell Drizzt here besides me?
I have seen way to many misspelled Drizzts in my time, come on guys, its only six letters, i could really care less about all other spelling, just spell Drizzt right, ok, im done bitching for now, as you were.
The Great Drizzt

Go to Top of Page

Mahonar
Acolyte

Italy
9 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2002 :  17:19:13  Show Profile  Visit Mahonar's Homepage Send Mahonar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
this topic is full of spoilers!!!! :))) pls if you want to describe a scene, separate the description from the rest of the text with a BIG SPOILER writing :P thx :*** (i haven't read the 70% of the books you quoted :)

________

If this is progress, help me to regress.
Go to Top of Page

king-tiax
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2002 :  20:33:37  Show Profile  Visit king-tiax's Homepage Send king-tiax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have not read the Trilogy for a long time, I'm a little setchy.

P.S. Sorry DRIZZT.

Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2002 :  08:06:13  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you tiax, now all the others have to do it.
R.A. Salvetore is just a really good battle writer, ive read some of his other book WITHOUT drizzt(can you believe that?) and they are nicely done. Ok, i'll quit crying now, just try to spell Drizzt.
The Great Drizzt

Go to Top of Page

Archer3
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2002 :  16:44:52  Show Profile  Visit Archer3's Homepage Send Archer3 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sorry i didnt know that that had happen..if u want i will spell i t right this time..D R I Z Z T!!!!!

-Archer3
Go to Top of Page

king-tiax
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2002 :  20:56:48  Show Profile  Visit king-tiax's Homepage Send king-tiax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dose Drizzt mean somthing in Drowik or somthing else, or is it just a name.

Go to Top of Page

Rory_Lana
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2002 :  22:34:35  Show Profile  Visit Rory_Lana's Homepage Send Rory_Lana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back to the topic....my favorite battle was Drizzt with his father, it was a great moment. It was amazing! I love the books and every battle is good...but nothing compares to that fight! I haven't read them all yet but I'm hoping to come across a battle worthy of taking lead. Truthfully I don't think one will.
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2002 :  16:15:23  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wait till you hit Seige of Darkness, Rory....

(drools uncontrollably...over the book....not Rory....yes, well...ahem.....did I mention how much I look like Elaith Craulnober?.....ahem.......uhm...yeah...)

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2002 :  08:42:34  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ya ok, anyways.
No Tiax its just a name, it doesnt mean anything, does Tiax mean anything, and why are you called "king?"
The Great Drizzt

Go to Top of Page

Rory_Lana
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2002 :  18:55:34  Show Profile  Visit Rory_Lana's Homepage Send Rory_Lana a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Arion you have been telling me about that book for a long time now. And yes you are a lot like EC...but honey, don't drool.

My personal favorite battle scene that I participate in was the Rory vs. Reighheart(I think that is how you spell it) It really was just a misunderstand, Rory wasn't misbehaving... she was trying to have a little fun the her paladin companion. I don't really remember all of the details so I think I should let the DM of the game replay it for you guys. Arion, be a dear and remind me. Please

~Tel'Lindar en Mela~
Go to Top of Page

Drummer Boy
Senior Scribe

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2002 :  19:31:21  Show Profile  Visit Drummer Boy's Homepage Send Drummer Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Drizzt

I have a question, can anyone spell Drizzt here besides me?
I have seen way to many misspelled Drizzts in my time, come on guys, its only six letters, i could really care less about all other spelling, just spell Drizzt right, ok, im done bitching for now, as you were.
The Great Drizzt

Yes, I have always spelled Drizzt correctly.
Go to Top of Page

Drummer Boy
Senior Scribe

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2002 :  19:34:05  Show Profile  Visit Drummer Boy's Homepage Send Drummer Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, everyone's favorite battle scene has Drizzt in it. Well, anyway, I have to admit that my favorite battle scene has Drizzt in it too. I'd have to say that my favorite battle scene was the Battle of Icewind Dale in the novel, the Crystal Shard.
Go to Top of Page

Shades
Acolyte

Georgia
39 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2002 :  22:50:05  Show Profile  Visit Shades's Homepage Send Shades a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite battle scene was in a Salvatore book...but it doesn't involve Drizzt. It involve's Cadderly and his father Aballister. It was a spell battle not a sword fight.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

20 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2002 :  23:31:05  Show Profile  Visit n/a's Homepage Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drizzt,DRIZZT,DRIZZT. There and my favrite battle sceen is in another series. but in this series it would be the same as drummer boy's
Go to Top of Page

Bellua Aeneus Lacerta
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  03:36:42  Show Profile  Visit Bellua Aeneus Lacerta's Homepage Send Bellua Aeneus Lacerta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good battle in 'The Thousand Orcs".
Drizzt plays small part.
Go to Top of Page

Drummer Boy
Senior Scribe

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  04:06:51  Show Profile  Visit Drummer Boy's Homepage Send Drummer Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got to get caught up with the Drizzt books. So far I've only read the Dark Elf Trilogy and the first book of the Icewind Dale Trilogy, The Crystal Shard.
Go to Top of Page

Bellua Aeneus Lacerta
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  04:10:01  Show Profile  Visit Bellua Aeneus Lacerta's Homepage Send Bellua Aeneus Lacerta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I'm feeling envy. I want to read them all again for the first time.
Go to Top of Page

Drummer Boy
Senior Scribe

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  04:13:02  Show Profile  Visit Drummer Boy's Homepage Send Drummer Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really? I'd rather be in your shoes having already read so many.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000