Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Jeff Grubb and Troy Denning
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  02:47:58  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I wonder why Jeff Grubb and Troy Denning don't have their own threads in CoS?

Sage, Wooly, do you have some sort of 'criteria' for FR writers to have their own sections in CoS? At least a quartet of FR novels? Well, Troy did write a lot...

Every beginning has an end.

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  02:50:08  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Author activity? I've not been around overlong, but I can't remember seeing either of them post (or, if it's happened, they've been few and far between).

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  03:08:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

I wonder why Jeff Grubb and Troy Denning don't have their own threads in CoS?

Sage, Wooly, do you have some sort of 'criteria' for FR writers to have their own sections in CoS? At least a quartet of FR novels? Well, Troy did write a lot...

There really isn't any specific criteria. It simply comes down to author-time and participation. You'll likely notice that both Jeff and Troy haven't spent all that much time here, so there just hasn't been any particular need to provide Chamber of Sages scrolls for them both.

If either Jeff or Troy were to start visiting more often, you can be sure I'll open scrolls for them, just as soon as they've "Okay'd" it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  03:08:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I once sent Jeff Grubb an email, inviting him to visit our forums. I never received a reply.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  03:14:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. I recall asking Troy on the Wizards boards back in 2003, but he said, at that point, that he was simply too busy to devote any further time to sites such as Candlekeep. He did express some regret about not having taken the opportunity to visit, however.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  04:38:57  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A shame...'Twould have been nice if they visit this site, even if just occasionally...

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  06:20:37  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I imagine it's a time issue. I'm glad I have the time/chance to come here and post, but I can easily envision schedules where I wouldn't be able to. Long and short, I doubt it's anything personal, and says nothing about their abiding love of our favorite setting.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  07:42:17  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't they have representatives instead? Like Ed's Lady THO?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  10:54:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Can't they have representatives instead? Like Ed's Lady THO?

I'm sure they could, if they wanted to.

Keep in mind, though, that the lovely Lady Hooded One does not represent Ed solely because of a lack of time. Ed lives out in the middle of nowhere (BFE, as we say in some parts of the US), and has a crappy internet connection. THO comes here and emails Ed back and forth because his connection won't handle much more than that.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  13:45:36  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't know that.

Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  15:37:02  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Troy Denning caught quite a bit of (undeserved, in my incredibly not humble opinion) flack on the WotC forums for his novel work in the Realms. On the Realms-L list one overloud person even called for a boycott of his works, with others joining the bandwagon.

I always figured his lack of presence here was just a symptom of no desire on his part to suffer more poo hurled his way.

Note I'm NOT saying this is what would happen to him here; rather I'm surmising he'd not go looking to interact with more of the same people where in the past every one in ten of them would accuse him of "raping canon".

Edited by - Mr_Miscellany on 03 Nov 2010 15:45:52
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  16:04:40  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr_Miscellany

Troy Denning caught quite a bit of (undeserved, in my incredibly not humble opinion) flack on the WotC forums for his novel work in the Realms. On the Realms-L list one overloud person even called for a boycott of his works, with others joining the bandwagon.

I always figured his lack of presence here was just a symptom of no desire on his part to suffer more poo hurled his way.

Note I'm NOT saying this is what would happen to him here; rather I'm surmising he'd not go looking to interact with more of the same people where in the past every one in ten of them would accuse him of "raping canon".

I like some of his works. But having read not a few comments from some scribes here who abhor his books, most specially the RotA, I think he really might suffer the same treatment, though of course not as harshly. I'd like to think most of us here are more 'courteous' with our comments, though admittedly, with my acerbic comments on some novels (not his), I forgot that the word 'courtesy' actually exists - but thankful for the mods' reminders.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  21:37:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
His writing is somewhat enjoyable (I suppose I would enjoy it more if it did not take place in the Realms). I can't honestly say I haven't seen worse - MUCH worse - written for the Realms (notice I tend to avoid the novel forums - I know myself too well, and like CK too much).

On the other hand, I have rarely seen worse research skills (seen worse, YES, with that much consistency? NO).

Seeing Jeff Grubb here would be the bomb, but how much could he really contribute now? The realms are too different - even Ed avoids the new era in his answers (not because he doesn't like it - I am NOT trying to say that - it is because he is nearly as unfamiliar with them as the rest of us).

Its a new era, with 'new blood' - I guess we all need to move on.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Nov 2010 21:38:13
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  22:18:05  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One doesn't have to be a new-blood to write in the current era. Heh, Bob has been around almost as long as Ed. The authors surely have to move on, same goes to us, the readers. But that doesn't necessarily mean they have to be 'replaced.'

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  23:51:37  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The authors surely have to move on, same goes to us, the readers. But that doesn't necessarily mean they have to be 'replaced.'
We certainly don't!

I guess someone could see me as one of those "new authors," but as I started reading FR novels around 1990 and gaming in the setting not too long after, I consider myself just as much part of the old guard as most of the merely mortal sages working in the FR.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2010 :  01:25:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

One doesn't have to be a new-blood to write in the current era. Heh, Bob has been around almost as long as Ed. The authors surely have to move on, same goes to us, the readers. But that doesn't necessarily mean they have to be 'replaced.'

True, but Jeff and Kate left the Realms about a decade or so ago, and even at that point, he hadn't been as active in the setting as he had earlier been.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2010 :  11:44:16  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

True, but Jeff and Kate left the Realms about a decade or so ago, and even at that point, he hadn't been as active in the setting as he had earlier been.

Maybe Jeff got better offers from Blizzard. Or maybe he prefers MTG to the Realms, as he has more MTG novels than FR. Whatever's the case, such talent could have added more 'colors' to the current Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2010 :  15:22:25  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you've ever read Grubb's blog, you'd know he's a pretty smart guy. Doesn't matter to me when he "left" the Realms, if he wrote a Realms novel I'd buy it.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2010 :  22:52:32  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If you've ever read Grubb's blog, you'd know he's a pretty smart guy. Doesn't matter to me when he "left" the Realms, if he wrote a Realms novel I'd buy it.

I don't need to read his blog to know how smart he is. I've always known.

I just hope he'd write a few more Realms novels.

Go to Top of Page

Tren of Twilight Tower
Seeker

51 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2010 :  01:19:55  Show Profile  Visit Tren of Twilight Tower's Homepage Send Tren of Twilight Tower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Interesting. I actually like to read Troy's work and it is a shame that he got treated in such a way. Some people really lack manners and tact.

Tren
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2010 :  01:29:41  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. That might be one of the million reasons he hasn't written a Realms novel after RotA. But then again, there are some authors who were treated the same yet still remain writing for the Realms. I just won't drop names so as not to derail the topic.

Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2010 :  01:55:00  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what I've heard, writing Star Wars books paid Mr. Denning a lot more than writing Realms books. When making a living from writing, that can be enough to tip the scales in a decision . . .
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2010 :  02:08:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

From what I've heard, writing Star Wars books paid Mr. Denning a lot more than writing Realms books. When making a living from writing, that can be enough to tip the scales in a decision . . .
BB

Quite rightly, too. Let's remember that Denning has spent most of the last decade forging ahead with the STAR WARS line -- namely, with contributions to both the "Legacy of the Force" and "Fate of the Jedi" series.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2010 :  03:01:19  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see. I didn't know. I never read Star Wars. Not a sci-fi reader at all.

Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  02:19:17  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given how enteresting the flames wars get around here, if I were an author,
I might not come here either.

But alas, Im not an author...yet.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  03:31:01  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps. But at the very least we managed on most occasions not to turn the fire into conflagration.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000