Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Best battle scene.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Archer3
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  04:58:09  Show Profile  Visit Archer3's Homepage Send Archer3 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just got done reading the Silent Blade..and the fight between Drizzt and Entreri at the end of the book when they where in the Chreshinibon tower (drooling)...enough said..you have to read it to understand.

-Archer3

Edited by - Archer3 on 21 Oct 2002 04:59:28
Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  06:42:21  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to agree Archer, bad ass!
The Great Drizzt

"Don't poke Drizzt, 'tis highly unsociable!" Drizzt Do'Urden -BG1
Go to Top of Page

Feanor_Karnil
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2002 :  20:51:08  Show Profile  Visit Feanor_Karnil's Homepage Send Feanor_Karnil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The BEST battle in all forgotten realms is the battle for Mithril Hall. There is just alot of fighting going on it is just very awesome.

We live in a bleak world my friend, where heroes are few and shadows stalk us around every corner.
-Mikai Daerni
Go to Top of Page

Rellen Amostirren
Acolyte

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2002 :  22:54:38  Show Profile  Visit Rellen Amostirren's Homepage Send Rellen Amostirren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pardon me ladies and sirs, but to my reckoning I did hear a tale about a gnome in a spiky badger fighting suit that fought a lot of gnolls near the great glacier, Jouka his name was, helped a female harper defeat an ice elemental so he did.

Though I can see how this might upset ya all, so with the spirit of those who have gone before me, I think the best fight tale I heard about that drow Drizzt, and his companions, was the one about the battlerager Pwent?? Something like that, took to having rager fits on nasty drow, lying on top of them until they fell in bits...

now theres a tactic if ever I heard of one!!

"Stealing teeth and still leaving folks with a smile!!"
Go to Top of Page

Feanor_Karnil
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2002 :  04:40:22  Show Profile  Visit Feanor_Karnil's Homepage Send Feanor_Karnil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think an incredible battle was the battle against the black dragon Shimmergloom. Although now that I think of it, it seems very similar to when Gandalf fights the Balrog in LoTR. In the FR book I can't recall which,Bruenor jumps on the dragon and they fight all the way down to the bottom of the cavern. I like that battle scene as well.

We live in a bleak world my friend, where heroes are few and shadows stalk us around every corner.
-Mikai Daerni
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2010 :  07:21:40  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

***casts Resurrection spell***

8 years...one of my favorite numbers.

Warning: SPOILERS on the following novels: Annihilation, Shadowstorm, The Ruin, Return of the Archwizards trilogy, Unholy, and Shadowrealm.

First, I must say it really takes a very, very good writer to write an interesting, well-paced battle scene. Here are my picks:

Gromph versus Dyrr in Annihilation. I thought it's Phil at his best. No boring moment in the duration of the battle, which is rather long for a one-on-one.

Rivalen versus a shape-shifting green dragon (sorry, forgot his name) in Shadowstorm. I see how an archwizard and a high priest can be almost helpless against a dragon. He would have died had Brennus not been fast enough to veer the magic of Sakkors' mythallar to his sword. This battle sort of reestablishes the reputation of dragons – that no matter how powerful a mage/fighter/priest it confronts, it can't be slain easily.

The Ice Queen versus Zethrindor in The Ruin. One word: chilling!

The phaerimm versus the Evareskans in RotA. The elves always think themselves superior spellcasters of all races. Well, this certainly taught them a lesson the hard way.

Brennus versus a group of conjurers in Shadowstorm. There started my respect for him as a wizard. To counter the binding spells on the Fire Elementals cast by a score (or more) mages is definitely no easy feat. And as expected of Paul, he handles it with finesse.

Telamont, together with his lackeys, versus Mephistopheles in Shadowrealm. Even for a Most High, for a Netherese, it's way too daring to challenge a lord of the Nine that's one step close to as powerful as Asmodeus. The battle is sort of a tie. Telamont was able to bind the archfiend, but could not do so for a longer period of time as the binding magic drained his city. I honestly wanted him to win, perhaps Paul would say something like The Most High created a permanent conduit of the binding spell from the SW itself to the very spot Mephistopheles was held prisoner. But then, that would make him appear 'too' powerful, and would undoubtedly bring about MAJOR changes in the Nine.

And my most favorite: The final battle of the zulkirs versus Szass Tam in Unholy. Truly epic. I was thoroughly surprised! I thought with their combined might they would in many ways at least make Szass Tam feel pain. But the cunning lich as always proved them wrong. I also like how 'vague' the deaths of the other zulkirs seem to be. That only means possible reappearance in the future...

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2010 :  08:32:07  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And my most favorite: The final battle of the zulkirs versus Szass Tam in Unholy. Truly epic. I was thoroughly surprised! I thought with their combined might they would in many ways at least make Szass Tam feel pain. But the cunning lich as always proved them wrong. I also like how 'vague' the deaths of the other zulkirs seem to be. That only means possible reappearance in the future...

+1 and lets not forget that battle was immediately preceded by an almost equally epic battle versus a near godlike Malark.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2010 :  08:45:27  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jordanz

quote:

+1 and lets not forget that battle was immediately preceded by an almost equally epic battle versus a near godlike Malark.

Indeed. How can I forget Malark - one of the very few beings who managed to outsmart Szass Tam.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2010 :  17:08:15  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a great thread, as I see little Drizzt bashing and a general concensus of what a good battle is.

For me, when I hear the world "Battle", one on one duels aren't what come to mind. I think of massive seiges of warring people or the underdog holding down the fort with little to no food, water, and relief. I think my favorite battle was at the end of The Two Swords.......

SPOILER

....where Obould was pressing against the defenses of Mithral Hall, people we're dying everywhere and Bruenor stood a-top a boulder to rally the troops and drive back the horde long enough for his people, Drizzt and Co. to make it back inside. The weight of the losses and dead, the implications that Obould stood his ground and is a viable threat in the area for the forseeable future, and that the good-guys didn't win out-right as they had during the Drow invasion was just leaden with realism for me.
Go to Top of Page

Tren of Twilight Tower
Seeker

51 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2010 :  19:04:26  Show Profile  Visit Tren of Twilight Tower's Homepage Send Tren of Twilight Tower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

This is a great thread, as I see little Drizzt bashing and a general concensus of what a good battle is.

For me, when I hear the world "Battle", one on one duels aren't what come to mind. I think of massive seiges of warring people or the underdog holding down the fort with little to no food, water, and relief. I think my favorite battle was at the end of The Two Swords.......

Most of the time people will speak about what they know, or in this case - what they read. Drizzt novels have been bestsellers, so I am not surprised to see all the love that Drizzt and Salvatore are harnessing. I myself like the way Salvatore describes fights.

Anyhow, I completely agree with you, Diffan. Battle, skirmish, group-brawl, duel - they all have a different definition in my mind.

If we are talking about battles, The Last Mythal trilogy is likely my favourite. Baker has done a great job with this trilogy.

When it comes to fighting that involves more than two, yet not army, I would separate one that occurred in Halfhap's Oldcoast Inn, book II, The Knights of Myth Drannor series. Also, should mention The Shield of Weeping Ghosts from The Citadels series. Very well done.

Now, for duels, I would need to think a bit more. I usually prefer magic duels as they are much more versatile and interesting (to me!), yet this very moment to my mind is coming Downshadow, Waterdeep series.

@dennis,
Love your choice. Return of the Archwizards is very well done in general - love it.

Tren

Edited by - Tren of Twilight Tower on 24 Oct 2010 19:08:22
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2010 :  00:32:42  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More:

The Simbul versus a cabal of Red Wizards in Silverfall. Her entire section of the book was devoted to wild fighting. And I thought: if anyone still doubts that she's a little bit insane, this clearly verifies it.

Vangherdahast versus Rivalen in The Siege. I thought it was kinda 'inappropriate' that a wizard far older (and by extension, more powerful) than Vangey could lose. But how the battle was shown was fun to read. And good thing to know – far later, that Rivalen survived.

Go to Top of Page

Hellblazer
Acolyte

Canada
12 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2010 :  02:41:15  Show Profile Send Hellblazer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Archer3

I just got done reading the Silent Blade..and the fight between Drizzt and Entreri at the end of the book when they where in the Chreshinibon tower (drooling)...enough said..you have to read it to understand.

Couldn't agree more. Every battle between Entreri and Drizzt is a masterpiece.

The best thing about the future is that it comes only one day at a time.
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2010 :  03:09:01  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The best battle scene is the one about the battle that never occured, between Manshoon and Vangey near the end of Knights of Dragonfire, atop the ruins of the Halfhap's Oldcoast Inn. I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't read this wonderful trilogy. For me, this single scene was worth the WHOLE trilogy, and I enjoyed the trilogy very much. I'll simply say that words can be sharper than the mightiest sword on some occasions...
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2010 :  03:26:45  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

I'll simply say that words can be sharper than the mightiest sword on some occasions...

I'd say in most occasions. 'Tis the reason sword-fight never interests me, no matter how 'cool' the characters may be.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2010 :  04:53:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. Even with my favorite authors, I don't pay much attention to the battle scenes.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2010 :  05:31:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Indeed. Even with my favorite authors, I don't pay much attention to the battle scenes.

Agreed. Unless it's a battle scene favouring characters I like, or some serious character observations/developments made during the fight, I usually tend to just skim through them.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2010 :  07:20:19  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favourite is the brief (but bloody) helter skelter running through Myth Drannor battle scene from "Temptation of Elminster". Any DM who has ever had aspirations to set a game session in those ruins should read that chapter over and over until they understand that adventurers in the ruins should bring lots of spare underwear.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2010 :  17:13:59  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly, I am no fan at all of battle and/or fighting scenes. I like the realms flavor that comes along in dialogues and descriptions of daily life in the realms.

There are some very very few fighting scenes I liked though:

1) Gromphs vs Dyrr as already mentioned in this thread.

2) Erevis Cale & Co. vs Kesson Rel & Co. in the Adumbral Calyx (Shadowstorm) (awesome!)

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625

Edited by - skychrome on 25 Oct 2010 17:16:28
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2010 :  18:12:14  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From THE LEGACY.

It was the first full FR novel I had read and what sticks out in my mind to this day was Drizzt fighting Dinin as a Drider. The new cover art for that novel tells it all. It wasn't epic by any means, but just how it was described got me initially hooked on the realms.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2010 :  18:17:58  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ghostwalker, when Walker fights the guy with the ...cant remeber the actul weapon...a hatterspike or some such....but that was a great battle..one I apparently need to re-read!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2010 :  18:35:28  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, battle scenes. I've been revising a couple of those in my current FR novel, and they are FUN to write, so they are.

I best remember Drizzt's duels with Zaknafein, and the duel in Silent Blade is pretty epic. Also, for some reason I can't shake the image of Jack Ravenwild riposting for his life in City of Ravens.

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Ghostwalker, when Walker fights the guy with the ...cant remeber the actul weapon...a hatterspike or some such....but that was a great battle..one I apparently need to re-read!
Gyrspike, it's called--which is a longsword with a spiked flail on the other end. I believe it comes from the 3.0e Sword and Fist book.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2010 :  21:14:52  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Malik and Ruha

z455t
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2010 :  01:52:07  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Blackstaff breaking out of 6 Tyrryl Tower and kicking major
outsider buttock at the battle of "Honorsgate"? Fall of Myth
Drannor.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2010 :  02:10:27  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Drizzt

ya ok, anyways.
No Tiax its just a name, it doesnt mean anything, does Tiax mean anything, and why are you called "king?"
The Great Drizzt

Au contrare, Great Drizzt. His name does in fact have a meaning- which would be revealed to anyone who has a copy of Dragon #267, withthe tables for Drow names and their meanings. Turns out, our boy's name means "SteelHunter" Rather apropos, considering his Two-Weapon Ranger abilities, no? Do'Urden ends up being "Walkers-in-the-Darkness" roughly translated. A fitting moniker for a guy from the Underdark, LOL!!

And back to topic, my personal favorite battle would have to be a toss up between the one with Drizzt and Artemis fighting side-by-side in Streams of Silver, and the battle in Daughter of the Drow between Fyodor and those drow after the treasures of Baba Yaga's hut! Having the hut get up and start kicking them around in the middle of the fight was just classic! I LOVED that scene!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2010 :  09:35:12  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
in terms of best spell battle i would opt for gromph vs dyrr in the wotsq series.epic.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  09:39:20  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

in terms of best spell battle i would opt for gromph vs dyrr in the wotsq series.epic.

You mean the one in Annihilation? I like that, too.

Did they have significant battles in other books in the series? I only read books 1 and 5. And still planning to read the rest.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  13:18:35  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No. You misunderstood my post. What I meant was that magical battles (words are like emblems of spells) are far mightier (and more interesting) than mere sword-fight.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2010 :  04:36:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

quote:

No. You misunderstood my post. What I meant was that magical battles (words are like emblems of spells) are far mightier (and more interesting) than mere sword-fight.

I don't know about that... The Gromph/Dyrr battle some have mentioned here was, to me, even more boring than the average swordfight.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2010 :  05:15:33  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The battle of Alassra versus Nergal in Elminster in Hell. It just shows that The Simbul should never be angered – unless you want to meet your untimely doom!

Go to Top of Page

Arianthus Deszault
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2010 :  21:26:44  Show Profile  Visit Arianthus Deszault's Homepage Send Arianthus Deszault a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will have to go with the Dyrr and Gromph "duel". Wasn't Nimor a part of the fight too at the end? I really liked how Gromph trumped Nimor's fighting skill by using the future-seeing spell (not sure which one).
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000