Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Your profession in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Jelennet
Learned Scribe

Russia
131 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  08:36:27  Show Profile Send Jelennet a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Imagine that you are born in the Realms. What profession would you choose there? And why?

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  08:41:40  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Royal Wizard of Cormyr or Larloch's advisor.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

HelldoG
Learned Scribe

101 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  09:01:51  Show Profile  Visit HelldoG's Homepage Send HelldoG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elminsters pupil... or butler. He's a great guy and working under him would be just awesome.

Away with powergaming propaganda! | I <3 Powergaming!

Don't feed the trolls. Especially the clever ones.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  16:21:44  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Scribe at Candlekeep. If the order of monks do not have a wow of celibacy that is.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  16:24:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gondsman, or a Sage of Candlekeep.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  16:34:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ao?

Seriously, a scribe/loremaster at Candlekeep sounds good. Though, I'd be hard-pressed not to take up the profession of a bard/travelling minstrel.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  17:05:44  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
a berserker

then I'd get me some fine witches
Go to Top of Page

Acolyte Thirteen
Seeker

93 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  17:18:47  Show Profile  Visit Acolyte Thirteen's Homepage Send Acolyte Thirteen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Adventurer! Or maybe archaeologist, specializing the the Old Elven Empires!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  17:27:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Think I'd have to be a fighter-mage of some sort.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Acolyte Thirteen
Seeker

93 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  17:40:18  Show Profile  Visit Acolyte Thirteen's Homepage Send Acolyte Thirteen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Acolyte Thirteen

Correction, archaeologist on Sage Snowblood's team! That scribe is amazing!
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  17:41:14  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd LIKE to be a mighty adventurer with legendary martial and arcane power, but somehow I think I'd actually wind up being a turnip farmer... :p

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  18:09:17  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Standard soldier #3, on gate-guard in Waterdeep or Suzail.

I wouldn't mind on being a valorous Purple Dragon knight, charging into the ranks of the Zhentarim or Shades!!!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  18:11:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Acolyte Thirteen

Oooh! Archaeologist is good too. Another passion of mine. And there's already precedent for it in the Realmslore as well.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  21:13:54  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
changed my mind, a crime lord of Waterdeep seems more interesting
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2010 :  01:12:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

Provided Elaith doesn't get to you, as a young upstart, first. Right?

Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2010 :  02:08:13  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An adventuring elven bladesinger, I think. Practicing the form of bladesong that's presented in the Complete Warrior prestige class. I like my arcane spells. Not just the buffing variety presented in Races of Faerun.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2010 :  03:34:23  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd be an elven bard/bladesinger. Of Eilistraee.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
489 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2010 :  03:39:13  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably an archivist or some form of philosopher for a dwarven city/empire, or an emissary/envoy for a dwarven nation in a human area like Candlekeep. Class-wise, I'd probably a Shield Dwarf Wizard 10/Loremaster 10 or Bard 10/Loremaster 10, at least from 3.5-edition standards.

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2010 :  06:14:53  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While if going to the Realms I'd want to be friends with Azoun...if born in the Realms, I'd have to be a Barbarian of the Ride, one of the Woodland Barbarians of the Border Forest (human also), or one of the Snow People of Thar...but I'd be a Ranger in class for sure!

I'm talking 1st Edition Ranger though! Florin Falconhand would be an awesome mentor...but being Montanan I've already got the same skills many rangers have: hunting, archery, horseback riding, tracking, foraging and etc...even been spear hunting before!

Yes, Ranger for me...and I'd aspire to be one of the Knights of Myth Drannor! I even made a character to run with my kids and wife tonight modeled after this concept...and inspired by Jelennet's question!

You can find Aerk Krage here:

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/forgotten-realms-of-yore/characters/aerk-krage

I'm the 230 pound (in that picture...a bit bigger now at 286 lbs) baldie on the left...and my behemoth of a brother on the right who is 6'5" and 510 lbs! He IS big-boned...his skull is so large and thick that he can't wear a baseball cap without cutting out the back of it!

Anyway...Ranger for me...and aspiring Knight of Myth Drannor!

EDIT: for typo from being too much under the influence of my meds!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 11 Oct 2010 06:21:05
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2010 :  06:58:24  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd be a 2e Diviner. No contest.
An absolutely terrible class for adventuring, true. That just makes the specialty a rarer commodity. Who wants to get dirty and damaged in some slimy dark dungeon anyhow?

At low levels you can make a living Knowing the winning lottery numbers and such stuff. You can still function as a passable mage, if you've got the right spells.
At mid levels you could make a living hiring yourself out as a sort of "work from home" Detective and Spy, or Royal Interrogator, or freelance as a "Private Scrye".
At high levels you can make a living by charging adventurers and sages exhorbitant fees in exchange for your specialized abilities at finding/interpreting obscure knowledge. Do it right and they'll keep coming back for more.

Use some of your income to hire and equip a small squad of tough goons ... buff 'em up a little with some of your non-Divination magic. And who knows better how to hide from scrying? (Except possibly an Illusionist or Abjurer?)

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
727 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2010 :  10:18:34  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A Lantanna (of the human sort) scribe/gardener/tinkerer (probably something like Commoner 4/Expert 1) on sabbatical from Candlekeep, working with my gnomish counterparts to create Weave 'software' (like the autonomous persistent spells of ancient Netheril) to enable the masses to use our invention (the ‘Gnomeberry’) to teleport without error money, send unlimited send spells and limited (about 20 uses per day) ghost image spells every day. Oh, I'm already doing that?!?

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2010 :  11:29:37  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Quale

Provided Elaith doesn't get to you, as a young upstart, first. Right?

yea, we could do business
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2010 :  13:38:47  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd be a cowled, staff wielding traveller, accompanied by a black dire wolf, wandering the roads and advising rulers and peasantry on living in "Cyclic Balance". Few would know my name, as most would recognise my presence mostly by the change in the shape of the landscape I have travelled. In combat I'd be a stealthy earth mage who's mastered an acrobatic martial art style blended with spelltraps I merge into the earth.

I'd look like a Half-Tashalan Half-Thethyrian human, and I'd be a geomancer/druid of Gond active in Calimshan and the Swordcoast. I'd proselytize a heretical dogma of achieving balanced communities by integrating magic (tech) with nature on a large scale. By harnassing the "divine" energies of nature (curbing and harnessing the dieties of Fury) with brilliant artifice on strategic places (wind- and watermills, urban wind tunnels, lightning conductors) Fearuns societies can achieve a new golden age of progress.

Whenever I'd have enough funds or experience to start travelling the planes I would do so. I'd want to solidify my ties to the Seelie court, the Domains of Silvanus and Gond. I'd study the planes in search for even more examples of "untapped" divine energies and return to Fearun with plans to harness the limitless energy of parallel portals, links to planes of energy, and time manipulation to generate even more free energy.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Shadowaxe
Acolyte

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2010 :  13:46:18  Show Profile  Visit Shadowaxe's Homepage Send Shadowaxe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would open up the Dragonriders' Gentlman's Club first!

Mead, mead, from the honey bee,
How I long to drink thee.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2010 :  14:18:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

A spy sounds promising, too. To work behind the shadows sounds cool enough.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2010 :  16:55:27  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to be a scribe at any library. Candlekeep or the one in Silverymoon springs to mind. Or maybe study magic in Evereska
A Harper scout in some northern forest sounds tempting also.
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2010 :  19:38:12  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd work in a festhall, why would you want to rot in a library

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2010 :  19:42:21  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

Because its the only place I can think of in the Realms where I wouldn't become completely paranoid. Candlekeep is the safest place I can think of in all the Realms. There's plenty to read and plenty of visitors, so as I said, as long as there is no vow of celibacy it sounds perfect.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  00:46:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:
Originally posted by Kno

Because its the only place I can think of in the Realms where I wouldn't become completely paranoid. Candlekeep is the safest place I can think of in all the Realms. There's plenty to read and plenty of visitors, so as I said, as long as there is no vow of celibacy it sounds perfect.

Yeah, but I'd expect that the nightlife wouldn't be all that...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  01:10:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:
Originally posted by Kno

Yeah, but I'd expect that the nightlife wouldn't be all that...

Not until the Lady Hooded One arrives, that is.

Go to Top of Page

Tren of Twilight Tower
Seeker

51 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  03:18:48  Show Profile  Visit Tren of Twilight Tower's Homepage Send Tren of Twilight Tower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He thinks: Eh, the night-life they say? I hope we are thinking here of very same type of the night-life!?
He speaks: "Please let me not interrupt your most excellent conversation, good sirs. Surely I am not the only scribe eager to learn about night-life particulars of Candlekeep!"

To not go completely off-topic, let it be known that my desired profession would be a sorcerer. And hopefully it would be a sorcerer with enough power to burn half of Faerun, freeze the other half, and electrocute all its accessories.

Tren
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000