Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Best battle scene.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Archer3 Posted - 21 Sep 2002 : 20:03:34
I want to know in your opinion what was the best battle scene you've read in the FR books.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dennis Posted - 09 Nov 2010 : 17:53:31
Can you remember in what books in the WotSQ series did Q'arlynd appear? Did he die too? As I mentioned before, I only read books 1 and 5. I'm pretty much having a hiatus in reading Realms novels right now. (The last I read is The Captive Flame last May. I started reading Darkvision about two weeks ago, but I HAD to stop, and I just hope I could resume sooooon...) There are far too many non-Realms novels I'm devouring atm. (And of course, the never-ending deadlines of various articles (seven of them 3 hours from now) and manuscripts gobble much of my time!)
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 09 Nov 2010 : 17:42:56
Pals, I think. Not sure about Phaeraun's "persuasion"... and Q'arlynd's is never even hinted at. But I think they'd get along well. Two wizards who think outside the (magic) box.
Dennis Posted - 09 Nov 2010 : 17:40:18
Pair as 'pals' or pair as 'lovers'?
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 09 Nov 2010 : 17:38:13
If you like him, you'd like Q'arlynd Melarn, too. They would make a great pair, methinks.
Dennis Posted - 09 Nov 2010 : 08:31:33
Oh, I see. I would read it though if Pharaun's role is big enough.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 09 Nov 2010 : 08:25:59
I don't remember. I've tried to forget a great deal about that series, as much of what happened was an utter travesty....
Dennis Posted - 09 Nov 2010 : 08:20:03
Is his role significant in that trilogy?
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 09 Nov 2010 : 06:47:49
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

I also like that scene in Dissolution. And there's one scene I found really funny in that book: Pharaun attempting to cast a spell using his feet. And when he said he might want to found a school where wizards use feet in spell-casting; he called it 'pedomancy,' if I remember it right.

LOL!! Yeah, I laughed my butt of at that scene! Though if I remember right, he did it again in one of the Lady Penitant books- the second one, I think.
Dennis Posted - 09 Nov 2010 : 06:09:35
Large scale battles ---those that make sense, of course ---- are 'kewl.' And I think PSK and RLB are masters of it.
scererar Posted - 09 Nov 2010 : 04:03:49
man, too many to try and choose just one. I tend to favor larger scaled battle scenes between armies or even a larger adventuring party against the bad guy's type of scenario. I would have to go more with Authors who are my favorite at creating battle scenes. A couple of my favorites would include stories by Kemp, Salvatore, Byers, and Greenwood. I know I am forgetting a bunch though
Dennis Posted - 09 Nov 2010 : 03:21:25

One battle that is worth mentioning is that between Vhostym and Cale. It would have been epic had the former been in his 'prime,' or at the very least not dying from an incurable disease.
Arianthus Deszault Posted - 08 Nov 2010 : 23:07:39
Alystra, I do believe it was prescience! And the way it was downplayed, but not completely, is what made it great for me. It didn't allow Gromph to just win the fight, but it gave him a decent chance against a much more skilled weapon-using opponent.
Dennis Posted - 06 Nov 2010 : 04:57:02
It was too much of an advantage to me because Dyrr could NOT dispel it. So I'm putting it in context. In the same way a simple fireball would appear too much of an advantage if a wizard uses it against an ordinary folk.

I also like that scene in Dissolution. And there's one scene I found really funny in that book: Pharaun attempting to cast a spell using his feet. And when he said he might want to found a school where wizards use feet in spell-casting; he called it 'pedomancy,' if I remember it right.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 06 Nov 2010 : 04:46:35
It's a fairly simple spell, though, so not TOO much advantage. Pre-sentience, I think? I rather liked the battle in the illithid's hide-out between Ryld and Phaeraun and the illithid's minions in Dissolution, too. Especially that scene where Ryld went into his meditative battle-trance and whupped butt on the two leaders- a fighter and a bard, I think. He must have a level or two of monk....
Dennis Posted - 06 Nov 2010 : 04:30:23
I actually didn't like the future-seeing spell. To me it sounds too much of an advantage. Good thing Phil somehow downplayed it by saying something like 'even though Gromph knew what his enemy would do, he still could not determine which best measure to counteract it, and that he could not win the battle if he just continued dodging his adversary's attacks.'
Arianthus Deszault Posted - 05 Nov 2010 : 21:26:44
I will have to go with the Dyrr and Gromph "duel". Wasn't Nimor a part of the fight too at the end? I really liked how Gromph trumped Nimor's fighting skill by using the future-seeing spell (not sure which one).
Dennis Posted - 29 Oct 2010 : 05:15:33
The battle of Alassra versus Nergal in Elminster in Hell. It just shows that The Simbul should never be angered – unless you want to meet your untimely doom!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Oct 2010 : 04:36:49
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Indeed. Even with my favorite authors, I don't pay much attention to the battle scenes.

No. You misunderstood my post. What I meant was that magical battles (words are like emblems of spells) are far mightier (and more interesting) than mere sword-fight.

I don't know about that... The Gromph/Dyrr battle some have mentioned here was, to me, even more boring than the average swordfight.
Dennis Posted - 28 Oct 2010 : 13:18:35
quote:

Indeed. Even with my favorite authors, I don't pay much attention to the battle scenes.

No. You misunderstood my post. What I meant was that magical battles (words are like emblems of spells) are far mightier (and more interesting) than mere sword-fight.
Dennis Posted - 28 Oct 2010 : 09:39:20
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

in terms of best spell battle i would opt for gromph vs dyrr in the wotsq series.epic.

You mean the one in Annihilation? I like that, too.

Did they have significant battles in other books in the series? I only read books 1 and 5. And still planning to read the rest.
swifty Posted - 26 Oct 2010 : 09:35:12
in terms of best spell battle i would opt for gromph vs dyrr in the wotsq series.epic.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 26 Oct 2010 : 02:10:27
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Drizzt

ya ok, anyways.
No Tiax its just a name, it doesnt mean anything, does Tiax mean anything, and why are you called "king?"
The Great Drizzt

Au contrare, Great Drizzt. His name does in fact have a meaning- which would be revealed to anyone who has a copy of Dragon #267, withthe tables for Drow names and their meanings. Turns out, our boy's name means "SteelHunter" Rather apropos, considering his Two-Weapon Ranger abilities, no? Do'Urden ends up being "Walkers-in-the-Darkness" roughly translated. A fitting moniker for a guy from the Underdark, LOL!!

And back to topic, my personal favorite battle would have to be a toss up between the one with Drizzt and Artemis fighting side-by-side in Streams of Silver, and the battle in Daughter of the Drow between Fyodor and those drow after the treasures of Baba Yaga's hut! Having the hut get up and start kicking them around in the middle of the fight was just classic! I LOVED that scene!
althen artren Posted - 26 Oct 2010 : 01:52:07
Blackstaff breaking out of 6 Tyrryl Tower and kicking major
outsider buttock at the battle of "Honorsgate"? Fall of Myth
Drannor.
Kno Posted - 25 Oct 2010 : 21:14:52
Malik and Ruha
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 25 Oct 2010 : 18:35:28
Ah, battle scenes. I've been revising a couple of those in my current FR novel, and they are FUN to write, so they are.

I best remember Drizzt's duels with Zaknafein, and the duel in Silent Blade is pretty epic. Also, for some reason I can't shake the image of Jack Ravenwild riposting for his life in City of Ravens.

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Ghostwalker, when Walker fights the guy with the ...cant remeber the actul weapon...a hatterspike or some such....but that was a great battle..one I apparently need to re-read!
Gyrspike, it's called--which is a longsword with a spiked flail on the other end. I believe it comes from the 3.0e Sword and Fist book.

Cheers
The Red Walker Posted - 25 Oct 2010 : 18:17:58
Ghostwalker, when Walker fights the guy with the ...cant remeber the actul weapon...a hatterspike or some such....but that was a great battle..one I apparently need to re-read!
Alisttair Posted - 25 Oct 2010 : 18:12:14
From THE LEGACY.

It was the first full FR novel I had read and what sticks out in my mind to this day was Drizzt fighting Dinin as a Drider. The new cover art for that novel tells it all. It wasn't epic by any means, but just how it was described got me initially hooked on the realms.
skychrome Posted - 25 Oct 2010 : 17:13:59
Honestly, I am no fan at all of battle and/or fighting scenes. I like the realms flavor that comes along in dialogues and descriptions of daily life in the realms.

There are some very very few fighting scenes I liked though:

1) Gromphs vs Dyrr as already mentioned in this thread.

2) Erevis Cale & Co. vs Kesson Rel & Co. in the Adumbral Calyx (Shadowstorm) (awesome!)
George Krashos Posted - 25 Oct 2010 : 07:20:19
My favourite is the brief (but bloody) helter skelter running through Myth Drannor battle scene from "Temptation of Elminster". Any DM who has ever had aspirations to set a game session in those ruins should read that chapter over and over until they understand that adventurers in the ruins should bring lots of spare underwear.

-- George Krashos
The Sage Posted - 25 Oct 2010 : 05:31:06
quote:

Agreed. Unless it's a battle scene favouring characters I like, or some serious character observations/developments made during the fight, I usually tend to just skim through them.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000